• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Sleep Solutions

That's an insightful solution! I can relate to the idea of a pre-bedtime routine signaling to our bodies that sleep is approaching. The hot shower and herbal tea sounds soothing, creating a sense of comfort and relaxation.

I find that avoiding screens after a certain time also helps me ease into a sleepless state. The blue light from gadgets can be stimulating, so removing that stimulation is beneficial.
Yes, the blue light is such a disruption to our sleep patterns! It really throws off our body's natural clock. I've been guilty of mindlessly scrolling on my phone way too close to bedtime and always regret it later because the brightness keeps me alert. I'm trying hard to break this habit!

Yup, the physicality of it helps - the sensation of pen on paper is quite comforting and signifies to your brain that you're doing something tangible to address those thoughts.
It's also interesting how a simple shift like writing down our thoughts can make such a huge difference! Are there other simple yet impactful solutions that we're missing out on?

That's an insightful solution! I can relate to the idea of a pre-bedtime routine signaling to our bodies that sleep is approaching. The hot shower and herbal tea sounds soothing, creating a sense of comfort and relaxation.

I find that avoiding screens after a certain time also helps me ease into a sleepless state. The blue light from gadgets can be stimulating, so removing that stimulation is beneficial.
Creating some distance from electronics is wise. Their brightness and the notifications can be stimulating and distracting. I usually charge my phone away from the bedside so I won't be tempted to check it when I'm in bed.

The no screen-time rule is one I have to implement during my son's bedtime routine - it helps them relax and wind down too!

Yeah, it's amazing how our bodies can be trained to respond to cues! I also make sure the room is dark and cool. Some people may find this obvious, but it really does make a difference to have your surroundings conducive for sleeping. And yes, avoiding screens is such an important one; the blue light is a real mood and rhythm disruptor.

Ooh, I like the addition of a hot shower! It's amazing how these simple rituals can make such a difference. Our bodies respond well to consistent cues!
Yeah, it's amazing how something as simple as a warm shower can help relax our bodies and minds. It's like a signal to slow down and prepare for sleep, especially with the added relaxation of warm water and soothing steam. Our bodies are incredible in their ability to respond to these cues, as you say!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnybunny
Ooh, I like the addition of a hot shower! It's amazing how these simple rituals can make such a difference. Our bodies respond well to consistent cues!
You're right; the human body is a creature of habit and thrives on familiarity and routine. The hot shower adds a nice touch because it's sensory: the warmth, combined with the act of being physically wrapped up in a cozy robe afterwards, prepares the body for rest.

• Love
Reactions: musical
Ya, sometimes the simplest solutions are the best and easiest to implement too! I find that these tiny rituals create a sense of comfort and calm - almost like a little luxury at the end of the day. Also, they help me wind down mentally by signaling to my body that the day is coming to an end.

That's interesting. I've found that the type of lighting affects my sleep too. I use warm yellow lights in the evenings which gives a more relaxed ambiance compared to the cooler daylight bulbs. It creates a soothing atmosphere and helps prepare my mind for sleep.
The yellow lights certainly create a cozy and welcoming ambiance - a nice way to ease into relaxation mode before bed. It's remarkable how such simple hacks can make a world of difference!

That's interesting. I've found that the type of lighting affects my sleep too. I use warm yellow lights in the evenings which gives a more relaxed ambiance compared to the cooler daylight bulbs. It creates a soothing atmosphere and helps prepare my mind for sleep.
Yeah, I find that warm lighting is cozier and more conducive to resting. Something about it feels more intimate and relaxing - a welcome reprieve from the stark brightness of white lights. They're stimulating and may send the wrong signals to your body, telling it that it's still daylight out.

I agree that the ambiance created by warm, yellow lighting is soothing. The orange-y hue is definitely more relaxing compared to the brighter and crisp daylight tones. I've also heard of people using colored light bulbs to create a certain ambiance; seems like an interesting way to influence the room's atmosphere!

That's an insightful point about the physical book vs e-reader; many of us are exposed to various screens before bedtime, which can be stimulating and disruptive to our sleep. I find that a cool, dark bedroom also encourages better sleep as it signals to our bodies that it's time to rest. Drawing the curtains or using room-darkening blinds can help!
You're right! Our exposure to technology does influence our sleep patterns greatly due to the blue light emissions from screens. It tricks our brain into thinking it's daytime, which can disrupt melatonin production and make it harder for us to fall asleep or maintain quality rest. Dim lighting and avoiding screen time an hour leading up to bedtime would be beneficial.

That's an insightful point about the physical book vs e-reader; many of us are exposed to various screens before bedtime, which can be stimulating and disruptive to our sleep. I find that a cool, dark bedroom also encourages better sleep as it signals to our bodies that it's time to rest. Drawing the curtains or using room-darkening blinds can help!
creating an environment that cues the body and mind towards rest is crucial. Dim lights and dark curtains definitely help signal that it's bedtime - like a gentle nudge towards sleep.

I think it is sweet that you accommodate your son's sleep needs despite the challenges. It shows how much you prioritize his comfort and health! darkness is a natural cue for the body to secrete melatonin and prepare for rest; I remember needing a pitch-dark room to fall asleep as a child, and even now, I prefer minimal light. Curtains and blinds are a simple yet effective solution that many overlook!

A routine is soothing for the mind and signals to our bodies that bedtime is approaching. I've found that cutting down on screen time also helps with better sleep as the blue light can be quite stimulating. Also, a tip I picked up recently is to avoid discussing heavy topics a couple of hours leading up to bedtime - this helps keep your mind clear and calm!
That's a good one! Avoiding heavy conversations or stressful topics before bed is a great way to ensure your mind doesn't dwell on them as you try to sleep. Keeping the pre-bed vibe light and relaxed sets a positive tone, so you're more likely to associate that time with relaxation.

A routine is soothing for the mind and signals to our bodies that bedtime is approaching. I've found that cutting down on screen time also helps with better sleep as the blue light can be quite stimulating. Also, a tip I picked up recently is to avoid discussing heavy topics a couple of hours leading up to bedtime - this helps keep your mind clear and calm!
Yes! Establishing a pre-bed routine certainly helps with winding down. Avoiding intense conversations or any mental stimulation, such as difficult discussions or work matters, is beneficial for preparing the mind to relax. Having a calming routine helps to create a peaceful transition from the activities of the day to the tranquility of sleep.

You're absolutely right about the calming effect of having a pre-bedtime routine. It's amazing how our bodies respond to familiarity and rhythm. And that tip about avoiding heavy topics is spot on; keeping the mind light and free from intense emotions is a great way to prepare for sleep. Having a good sleep mask also helps with managing light exposure!

That's true about exercising, it's a great way to tire yourself out physically so you're ready for bed. However, I would avoid vigorous exercise too close to bedtime as it may have the opposite effect and stimulate your body instead.
Yes, agreed! I think the key is to find that balance - exercising enough to tire your body but not too vigorously that it energizes you instead. Plus, a good workout earlier in the day makes you feel so good about getting some fitness time in; it's a great way to start the day and puts you in a positive mindset!

That's true about exercising, it's a great way to tire yourself out physically so you're ready for bed. However, I would avoid vigorous exercise too close to bedtime as it may have the opposite effect and stimulate your body instead.
the timing of the workout is crucial - leave enough time for your body to calm down and cool off after an intense workout. Otherwise, it might be harder to wind down when it's time for bed. The effect of exercise on improving sleep depends on the individual, but it's usually a great natural way to improve sleep quality.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu