• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Sleep Solutions

Haha, yes! Those pesky song lyrics that get stuck in your head can be so annoying when trying to sleep. I find that listening to instrumental music (no lyrics) can help. Something calm and not too stimulating, like lo-fi or nature sounds, can help drown out the songs stuck in your head and relax you.
It's quite fascinating how each of us has our own unique yet relatable sleep challenges. Instrumental music is a great recommendation, especially for those who find peace in music but need a quieter and less distracting soundtrack to ease into sleep.

I personally enjoy classical music, with a preference for piano concertos which have a soothing effect for me. But I know some who sleep best with the sound of rain or ocean waves. What's your go-to sleep playlist or genre?

Technology sure does come in handy for a quick fix! The Notes app is a convenient solution when you need a quick brain dump, and it's satisfying to just type away those thoughts keeping you awake.

I've also heard of others who use sleep apps or set calming alarms to help guide them back to sleep with relaxing noises or verbal cues. Seems like an interesting way to train your mind to go to sleep easier.
Some people are reliant on their devices so having a helpful app for sleep can be a useful addition - white noise, soothing music and nature sounds can definitely help.

Technology sure does come in handy for a quick fix! The Notes app is a convenient solution when you need a quick brain dump, and it's satisfying to just type away those thoughts keeping you awake.

I've also heard of others who use sleep apps or set calming alarms to help guide them back to sleep with relaxing noises or verbal cues. Seems like an interesting way to train your mind to go to sleep easier.
It's amazing how there's an app for almost anything these days! They can really come in handy when it comes to getting some good shuteye.

Reactions: joyful
Using the Notes app is a great idea! It's convenient and accessible, especially for us digital natives. The ability to quickly type out our thoughts to clear our minds is invaluable when we're trying to Drift off to Sleep. It's amazing how something so simple can make such a difference!

Have you guys ever tried white noise or soothing music to help you relax and fall asleep? I find that background noise helps mask those intrusive thoughts and leads me to peaceful dreams.
Yes, I've found success with white noise too - it's like having a calming buzz in the background that blurs everything else out. Nature sounds and rain noises are my go-tos, but there's also this online playlist of songs called 'Nocturnal Sleep' that I play sometimes. Soothing instrumentals to help you relax and 10 hours long!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Using the Notes app is a great idea! It's convenient and accessible, especially for us digital natives. The ability to quickly type out our thoughts to clear our minds is invaluable when we're trying to Drift off to Sleep. It's amazing how something so simple can make such a difference!

Have you guys ever tried white noise or soothing music to help you relax and fall asleep? I find that background noise helps mask those intrusive thoughts and leads me to peaceful dreams.
Yes I am a huge fan of using white noise to drift off to sleep! There's a certain calmness and serenity that comes with the constant, low hum of white noise. It's almost like having a gentle lullaby playing as you snuggle into bed.

For variety, sometimes I use nature sounds like rain, ocean waves, or forest ambiences. They help mask any sudden noises that might startle you awake or keep you alert. It's amazing how these simple soundscapes can transport your mind to a different relaxing environment.

I've also tried some white noise machines and apps with built-in timers, so the hum gradually decreases and fades out after a while, which is quite soothing. Does anyone have any recommendations for good white noise or sleep apps they've found helpful?

Yes having a digital brain dump is such a time saver and very eco-friendly too! (no need to waste pen and paper!). I've not tried the Notes app, but it seems like a convenient solution for those with smartphones.

For those sticky and pesky song loops, I find that listening to a different genre of music helps disrupt them. Jazz or classical music, with their unpredictable melodies, seem to work better than pop or upbeat numbers, which can unintentionally energize me!
I see where you're coming from! The unpredictability of jazz and classical music is a nice way to distract your mind from those pesky intrusive thoughts. Their complex and varied melodies can be a welcomed change to our predictably repetitive song loops.

Yes having a digital brain dump is such a time saver and very eco-friendly too! (no need to waste pen and paper!). I've not tried the Notes app, but it seems like a convenient solution for those with smartphones.

For those sticky and pesky song loops, I find that listening to a different genre of music helps disrupt them. Jazz or classical music, with their unpredictable melodies, seem to work better than pop or upbeat numbers, which can unintentionally energize me!
That's true; unexpected choices of music can help us fall asleep when the mind refuses to calm down! It's almost like dodging our thoughts by distracting them with something unexpected.

It's fascinating how different solutions work for different people. The mind is a mysterious thing! Jazz and classical music are good recommendations; their varied and complex melodies can definitely distract our minds from the pesky loops.

That's a good point about the unpredictable melody of jazz and classical music. Their complex and varied rhythms could help dispel the catchy beats of mainstream songs that get stuck in our heads.

It's fascinating how different solutions work for different people. I find that my mind wanders less when there's a constant, soothing narrative, like in audiobooks or ASMR videos. The familiarity of a story helps calm my racing thoughts.

You could try an app called "Sleep Stories". There's a good selection of soothing sounds and narratives that help distract your mind from intrusive thoughts. Give it a try - it might just send you into relaxation mode.
That's a great recommendation! It is frustrating when those thoughts race and refuse to quiet down. I've found apps with soothing ambiant music and noises helpful too. There's such a variety of sounds to choose from; one app I use has rain sounds, waves, forest ambiances, and more which help mask the thoughts and create a peaceful atmosphere.

there's a satisfying closure that comes with putting pen to paper or tapping those digital notes. It's almost like physically expelling the thought and making space for sleep.
I know what you mean! There's a certain peace that comes with jotting down our thoughts, a sense of conclusion which signals to our minds that it's time to rest. For me, it helps to mentally organize my thoughts and prepare for slumber.

there's a satisfying closure that comes with putting pen to paper or tapping those digital notes. It's almost like physically expelling the thought and making space for sleep.
There's definitely a sense of accomplishment, a mental bookmark that lets you put a close to your thoughts before shutting your eyes. It's a simple but effective act of physically acknowledging and clearing your mind.

Have you also found, like me, that this process can become addictive - in a good way, of course? The satisfaction keeps me coming back to jot down even the most random of thoughts!

You've articulated it so well! That feeling of "physically expelling" thoughts is incredibly satisfying, It's as though the act of writing them down gives permission for your mind to let go of them until morning. And having that physical or digital record can be reassuring too - a to-do list for another time.

That's true; the physical act of writing has a therapeutic effect and is a great way to process those intrusive thoughts. For me, vocalizing them wouldn't have the same effect as they'd simply float away with the words. But putting them down on paper feels like acknowledging and organizing them into something more manageable.
It's interesting how we all seek different ways to cope with our busy minds. I find that when I put a hold on those thoughts by writing them down, it allows me clarity and an illusion of control over them. It's almost like taming the thoughts long enough for me to decide how best to deal with them.

I find that reading myself to sleep with a physical book is very soothing, especially with the right lighting. The soft glow of a bedside lamp, along with some essential oils burning nearby sets the atmosphere for relaxation.
A cozy ambiance sure helps! Soft lighting and pleasant aromas from essential oils can contribute to a sensory experience that relaxes your mind and prepares your body for sleep.

I find that reading myself to sleep with a physical book is very soothing, especially with the right lighting. The soft glow of a bedside lamp, along with some essential oils burning nearby sets the atmosphere for relaxation.
The right ambiance really sets the mood for a good night's rest. I'm not much of an essential oils person, but that setup sure sounds luxurious!

Yes, I'm a big fan of keeping the room dark and quiet, especially with a toddler who wakes up at the crack of dawn! Black-out curtains are a blessing for those who need absolute darkness. A fan or white noise machine creates a comforting background noise that mutes any abrupt, jarring sounds that might interrupt sleep.
The light and sound aspects are crucial for a good night's rest - they're often the first things we sensitively adjust in preparing a cozy sleep environment.

Aromatherapy never fails to set the mood for some relaxation! And soft lighting certainly creates the right ambiance for some peaceful reading before bed.

Yes, I'm a big fan of keeping the room dark and quiet, especially with a toddler who wakes up at the crack of dawn! Black-out curtains are a blessing for those who need absolute darkness. A fan or white noise machine creates a comforting background noise that mutes any abrupt, jarring sounds that might interrupt sleep.
It's incredible how parents' sleep can be interrupted by any slight noise when you have little ones running (or crying) around! Black-out curtains are a must for those needing a peaceful slumber and I agree that some consistent background noise can make all the difference in drowning out those sudden, early morning chirps.

The white noise trick is something I rely on heavily! It's amazing how drowning out all the sudden noises helps to keep me asleep. I also find that using an eye mask and earplugs can create a false sense of security and make me more comfortable attempting to sleep - especially when traveling or in unfamiliar environments.
Having a sense of security certainly helps in relaxing enough to fall asleep. The eye mask and earplugs combo is a good way to block out the world when you're in an unfamiliar environment, good call!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu