• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Sleep Solutions

That's an excellent solution! I also have those nights when my mind goes into overdrive, so writing everything down before bed really helps. My list of Sleep Solutions includes maintaining a consistent sleep schedule and avoiding naps. If you must take one, limit it to 30 minutes and before 3 pm. Otherwise, the night's rest will suffer. Also, creating a relaxing bedtime routine works wonders! Draw a warm bath, read a book, do some light stretching, or listen to soothing music - anything that signals to your body that bedtime is approaching.
Another thing that helps me wind down is avoiding screen time at least one hour before bedtime. The blue light emitted by gadgets can disrupt sleep, so putting them away helps signal to your brain that it's time to relax and unwind.

That's an excellent solution! I also have those nights when my mind goes into overdrive, so writing everything down before bed really helps. My list of Sleep Solutions includes maintaining a consistent sleep schedule and avoiding naps. If you must take one, limit it to 30 minutes and before 3 pm. Otherwise, the night's rest will suffer. Also, creating a relaxing bedtime routine works wonders! Draw a warm bath, read a book, do some light stretching, or listen to soothing music - anything that signals to your body that bedtime is approaching.
Yeah, I find that longer naps can ruin my nighttime sleep too. Short, 20-minute power naps are refreshing but won't interfere with my night's rest. As for bedtime signals, I find that listening to white noise or rain sounds helps me relax and block out the world while winding down.

I keep odd hours so I understand the struggle. A hot bath with Epson salt before bed works wonders to relax the body and calm racing thoughts. The tiredness after a long, hot soak helps to fall asleep faster.
A warm bubble bath does sound like a wonderful way to unwind and relax before bed. The Epson salt is an added bonus! It's intriguing how a simple and enjoyable ritual can help ease sleep troubles.

• Haha
Reactions: travelmum
Another thing that helps me is keeping the room well-ventilated and slightly cool with a fan. Somehow, the white noise from the fan also masks any other distracting sounds!

A consistent sleep schedule is a big one for me too. I find that even on weekends, keeping to the same sleep and wake timing helps to regulate my body clock. Otherwise, it's so easy to disrupt the rhythm and throw off my entire week!

• Love
Reactions: musical
A hot bath helps me relax too, though I find that listening to instrumentals put me to sleep faster than any other trick.

A consistent sleep schedule is a great point! Keeping to a routine helps train our bodies' internal clock. The napping tip is spot on too - I find that long and late naps can really mess with my night time sleep. Soothing music is also a good idea for that much-needed relaxation. Do you have any recommendations for good bedtime reads or soothing music?

Another tip I've picked up is to avoid looking at the time when you can't sleep. Constantly checking the time while lying awake can cause additional stress and make matters worse. Keeping the bedroom dark and cool, with minimal distractions, is also key. I know a friend who has trouble sleeping due to anxiety; she finds deep breathing exercises and meditation apps helpful. They might be worth trying!

Another thing that helps me is making sure the bedroom is dark and cool, with minimal distractions like notifications and street noise. Using blackout curtains and earplugs, especially if you're a lightweight sleeper, can make a huge difference!

Aromatherapy using lavender essence and deep breathing techniques help calm me down too. And as much as possible, keep devices away from the bed. The blue light emitted by electronic screens can be stimulating, disrupting our melatonin levels, so put them away an hour before bedtime.

I keep odd hours so I understand the struggle. A hot bath with Epson salt before bed works wonders to relax the body and calm racing thoughts. The tiredness after a long, hot soak helps to fall asleep faster.
That's an interesting tip about the Epsom salt; seems like an old-wife tale but if it works, it works! I've found that using an eye mask also helps me stay asleep especially when the sun rises earlier now that we're moving into summer. The blind fold trick is something I picked up from long-haul flights - works like a charm!

Reactions: greenfingers
A warm bath is a lovely way to unwind and relax the body. I find that Epsom salt a great suggestion too--the magnesium sulfate may help ease muscle aches and pains, a good way to physically relax before bed.

Yes! I use the Notes app on my phone to type out my thoughts when they intrude on my sleep. It's quicker than fumbling for a pen and paper in the dark, and the backlit keyboard is easy to navigate. I like how technology lets us have a digital brain dump!

I also struggle with loud thoughts, especially those repetitive song lyrics that stick and play on loop. Writing them out helps immensely, whether on paper or digitally.
Having a dedicated pre-bed ritual that includes dim lighting and zero screens definitely prepares your mind and body for sleep. I find that giving in to the temptation of checking my phone ruins my sleep mood, so keeping technology out of the bedroom is best.

Yes! I use the Notes app on my phone to type out my thoughts when they intrude on my sleep. It's quicker than fumbling for a pen and paper in the dark, and the backlit keyboard is easy to navigate. I like how technology lets us have a digital brain dump!

I also struggle with loud thoughts, especially those repetitive song lyrics that stick and play on loop. Writing them out helps immensely, whether on paper or digitally.
It's incredible how one tiny habit can make such a huge difference! Using technology can be a great way to capitalize on our dependency on our phones, which most of us never leave aside anyway. Making good use of the Notes app is a convenient and efficient way to clear our minds when our thoughts are consuming us.

I'm glad we share some similar hacks! Does it help to write the thoughts down as soon as they come or do you need a proper routine to wind down first?

Using the Notes app is a great idea! It's a simple solution, yet so effective, especially for us digital natives.

Song lyrics that get stuck in our heads can be a real nuisance! I find that if I finish the song in my head, and allow myself to hum or lip-sync to it, it helps to satisfy my mind and the lyrics eventually fade away. It's like giving in to the tune helps release the hold it has over my mind haha.

• Love
Reactions: doctormama

Haha, yes! Those pesky song lyrics that get stuck in your head can be so annoying when trying to sleep. I find that listening to instrumental music (no lyrics) can help. Something calm and not too stimulating, like lo-fi or nature sounds, can help drown out the songs stuck in your head and relax you.

Technology sure does come in handy for a quick fix! The Notes app is a convenient solution when you need a quick brain dump, and it's satisfying to just type away those thoughts keeping you awake.

I've also heard of others who use sleep apps or set calming alarms to help guide them back to sleep with relaxing noises or verbal cues. Seems like an interesting way to train your mind to go to sleep easier.

Using the Notes app is a great idea! It's convenient and accessible, especially for us digital natives. The ability to quickly type out our thoughts to clear our minds is invaluable when we're trying to Drift off to Sleep. It's amazing how something so simple can make such a difference!

Have you guys ever tried white noise or soothing music to help you relax and fall asleep? I find that background noise helps mask those intrusive thoughts and leads me to peaceful dreams.

Yes having a digital brain dump is such a time saver and very eco-friendly too! (no need to waste pen and paper!). I've not tried the Notes app, but it seems like a convenient solution for those with smartphones.

For those sticky and pesky song loops, I find that listening to a different genre of music helps disrupt them. Jazz or classical music, with their unpredictable melodies, seem to work better than pop or upbeat numbers, which can unintentionally energize me!

You could try an app called "Sleep Stories". There's a good selection of soothing sounds and narratives that help distract your mind from intrusive thoughts. Give it a try - it might just send you into relaxation mode.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu