• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Sleep Solutions

A consistent sleep schedule is a great point! Keeping to a routine helps train our bodies' internal clock. The napping tip is spot on too - I find that long and late naps can really mess with my night time sleep. Soothing music is also a good idea for that much-needed relaxation. Do you have any recommendations for good bedtime reads or soothing music?
I enjoy listening to piano melodies or instrumental songs from movies soundtracks; they're peaceful and evoke a fantasy-like atmosphere without stressing the mind. For books, I prefer something light and humorous-- anything too plot-heavy or intense keeps me awake in anticipation!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
A consistent sleep schedule is a great point! Keeping to a routine helps train our bodies' internal clock. The napping tip is spot on too - I find that long and late naps can really mess with my night time sleep. Soothing music is also a good idea for that much-needed relaxation. Do you have any recommendations for good bedtime reads or soothing music?
I don't have any specific recommendations for music or books as everyone's preferences are different, but for music, I'd suggest looking up playlists with the word "soothing" or "sleep" on your preferred music platform. There's a lot of instrumentals and relaxation tracks out there that help calm the mind.

For books, perhaps consider reading classic literature or novels you've enjoyed before. Something familiar might be soothing as you wouldn't need to strain your brain to follow a complex plot, but it's engaging enough to keep you reading till you're ready to sleep. Alternatively, there are also books published with the sole purpose of helping readers relax and drift off to sleep - these tend to be short with a good dose of mindfulness.

I lean towards classical instrumental music for soothing melodies to wind down. Beethoven's piano concertos are my go-to for relaxing, especially his Concerto No. 5 in E-flat major. The slow second movement has a beautiful, dreamy quality that's perfect for relaxing.

For bedtime reads, I enjoy classic children's stories or poems, anything by Roald Dahl or A.A Milne. They're quick and comforting with an imaginative twist to ease your mind off the day's troubles. These books are easily digestible and not too stimulating, so they're perfect for when your eyes are drooping!

I like to read classic novels, which typically have calmer and less aggressive themes, making them ideal for unwinding at the end of the day. Think Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters, or even Enid Blyton's Malory Towers series - these are my go-tos. As for music, I enjoy piano melodies or string instruments like the harp or violin which create a peaceful and dreamy ambiance. You can find some great relaxing instrumentals on Spotify; search for them in the mood section. Some are quite effective in lulling me to sleep!

Another tip I've picked up is to avoid looking at the time when you can't sleep. Constantly checking the time while lying awake can cause additional stress and make matters worse. Keeping the bedroom dark and cool, with minimal distractions, is also key. I know a friend who has trouble sleeping due to anxiety; she finds deep breathing exercises and meditation apps helpful. They might be worth trying!
I think we've all been there, checking the time when we're wide awake in bed, just makes you feel even more frustrated when you realize it's only 2 am and you have to be up at 6am for work 😅. You're right about keeping the room cool and minimizing distractions; it really helps create an ideal environment for quality sleep.

I tried meditation apps before, but I find them quite honestly quite boring ha. But I think that's the point - the dull instructions can help guide you into a sleepy state. As for bedtime reads, I've been enjoying classic novels like Jane Eyre; the old language can have a lulling effect, and it's interesting enough to keep my attention without being too exciting. What are your go-to sleep hacks?

Another thing that helps me is making sure the bedroom is dark and cool, with minimal distractions like notifications and street noise. Using blackout curtains and earplugs, especially if you're a lightweight sleeper, can make a huge difference!
Having a serene and comfortable bedroom environment is crucial for a good night's rest. The darkness, peace, and quiet help to relax and prepare the mind and body for sleep. It's incredible how something so simple as earplugs or blackout curtains can make a world of difference!

Another thing that helps me is making sure the bedroom is dark and cool, with minimal distractions like notifications and street noise. Using blackout curtains and earplugs, especially if you're a lightweight sleeper, can make a huge difference!
That's a good solution! Creating an optimal sleep environment is key. It's amazing how something as simple as managing light and noise can make a huge difference.

That's an interesting tip about the Epsom salt; seems like an old-wife tale but if it works, it works! I've found that using an eye mask also helps me stay asleep especially when the sun rises earlier now that we're moving into summer. The blind fold trick is something I picked up from long-haul flights - works like a charm!
The Epsom salt really does help, especially with aching muscles too! Ooh, an eye mask is a great idea - it's like having your own personal blackout curtain!

That's an interesting tip about the Epsom salt; seems like an old-wife tale but if it works, it works! I've found that using an eye mask also helps me stay asleep especially when the sun rises earlier now that we're moving into summer. The blind fold trick is something I picked up from long-haul flights - works like a charm!
Ya, it's amazing how effective some of these simple hacks can be! Our grannies sure know some tried and true tricks hahaha. An eye mask is a great idea - our bodies love being tricked into thinking it's bedtime! Blacking out the room with curtains or a blind is super helpful too, especially for those who are affected by the early sunrises and late sunsets on our circadian rhythm.

A warm bath is a lovely way to unwind and relax the body. I find that Epsom salt a great suggestion too--the magnesium sulfate may help ease muscle aches and pains, a good way to physically relax before bed.
A soaking trick that my mom swears by is adding mustka seeds or flax seeds boiled in water as an alternative to Epson salt. It's supposedly common among the older generation, passed down through the family, with the added scent of the seeds helping to calm frazzled nerves. I've also heard that lavendar essential oil is a great additive to bath time for a good night's rest.

the Epsom salt seems like an intriguing and effective solution! An eyemask sounds like a good idea too; blocking out the light signals to our bodies that it's time for some shuteye. It's amazing how these simple yet thoughtful solutions can make a difference!

A warm bath is a lovely way to unwind and relax the body. I find that Epsom salt a great suggestion too--the magnesium sulfate may help ease muscle aches and pains, a good way to physically relax before bed.
I've never thought of adding Epsom salt to my warm baths! It's such a simple yet effective trick to soothe muscle aches. Might explain why my post-workout soaks feel so good. I usually reach for aromatherapeutic essential oils to heighten the relaxation, and it's interesting how a simple sensory experience like smell can contribute so much to calming the mind.

I've never heard of Epsom salt but it sounds like a nice way to relax especially for those with body aches! It's interesting how specific and personal some sleep solutions can be; what works for one might not work for others.

Having a dedicated pre-bed ritual that includes dim lighting and zero screens definitely prepares your mind and body for sleep. I find that giving in to the temptation of checking my phone ruins my sleep mood, so keeping technology out of the bedroom is best.
That's true; keeping the phone away from the bedside helps avoid the temptation. It's a difficult habit to establish, especially when we're so used to having our phones around all the time, but it makes a huge difference in setting the right atmosphere for sleep.

It's incredible how one tiny habit can make such a huge difference! Using technology can be a great way to capitalize on our dependency on our phones, which most of us never leave aside anyway. Making good use of the Notes app is a convenient and efficient way to clear our minds when our thoughts are consuming us.

I'm glad we share some similar hacks! Does it help to write the thoughts down as soon as they come or do you need a proper routine to wind down first?
Yes those tiny habits can have a big impact on our sleep quality. I usually give myself a few minutes to wind down and calm my mind before I start getting ready for bed. I find that the physical act of getting up and preparing for bed - brushing my teeth, changing into my pyjamas, drawing the curtains, and getting snug under the sheets - helps signal to my body and mind that sleep is imminent.

By then, I would usually have calmed down enough to jot down any stray thoughts on paper. It's become a soothing ritual that helps me detach from the busy day and transition into relaxation mode.

What about you - are there any specific methods or orders that help your brain dump go smoother?

Using the Notes app is a great idea! It's a simple solution, yet so effective, especially for us digital natives.

Song lyrics that get stuck in our heads can be a real nuisance! I find that if I finish the song in my head, and allow myself to hum or lip-sync to it, it helps to satisfy my mind and the lyrics eventually fade away. It's like giving in to the tune helps release the hold it has over my mind haha.
That's a clever way to deal with those pesky earworms! I also find that, if I'm able to, walking or doing some light exercise can help dissipate the mental energy that keeps me awake. Just something simple like pacing around the room or stretching. Physically engaging my body somehow helps dispel all those racing thoughts.

It's incredible how one tiny habit can make such a huge difference! Using technology can be a great way to capitalize on our dependency on our phones, which most of us never leave aside anyway. Making good use of the Notes app is a convenient and efficient way to clear our minds when our thoughts are consuming us.

I'm glad we share some similar hacks! Does it help to write the thoughts down as soon as they come or do you need a proper routine to wind down first?
For me, it works best when I create a little ritual out of it. Dim lights, cozy space, my comfiest sleep attire, and some calm instrumental music in the background. I'd then take a few minutes to jot down whatever's on my mind - it's like creating a mental break between the day's events and the impending slumber.

It's interesting how everyone's slightly different too; some find writing thoughts down as soon as they come helps, while others prefer a dedicated wind-down routine first.

Haha, yes! Those pesky song lyrics that get stuck in your head can be so annoying when trying to sleep. I find that listening to instrumental music (no lyrics) can help. Something calm and not too stimulating, like lo-fi or nature sounds, can help drown out the songs stuck in your head and relax you.
I've never been a fan of instrumental music but lo-fi seems worth a try, given how widely it's been recommended. Nature sounds might be a hit or miss for me as I find them distracting if not combined with actual visuals of nature. Thanks for the recommendation!

Haha, yes! Those pesky song lyrics that get stuck in your head can be so annoying when trying to sleep. I find that listening to instrumental music (no lyrics) can help. Something calm and not too stimulating, like lo-fi or nature sounds, can help drown out the songs stuck in your head and relax you.
It's a brilliant idea to listen to instrumental music! Lo-fi and nature sounds are calming and create a peaceful ambiance for us to unwind. I love how diverse our solutions are - there's no one-size fits all approach for sleep problems!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu