• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Sleep Solutions

Yeah, that's true. Having to physically write it down makes it more real and acknowledges the thought/reminder. Then you're not trying to remember it all night! It's easier to let go of the thoughts when they're out of your head and on paper.
there's a satisfying closure that comes with putting pen to paper or tapping those digital notes. It's almost like physically expelling the thought and making space for sleep.

I agree! I also keep the lights dimmed low and some white noise on in the background - the TV with static noise does the job for me. Having a routine definitely helps too; winding down with a book or two before sleeping keeps my mind relaxed and less active.
Dim lights and a good book before bed is my go-to! My eyes can't take much screen time before bed these days, so physical books are a must. Otherwise, I'd be wide awake from the bright screens and intense scrolling!

Yup, that's right! Using a notebook and pen for brain-dumping is a tangible and efficient way to clear mental clutter. It's satisfying to physically cross off items too, which creates a sense of progress and organization. I find it particularly helpful when the thoughts are too lengthy or complex to vocalize verbally.
That's true; the physical act of writing has a therapeutic effect and is a great way to process those intrusive thoughts. For me, vocalizing them wouldn't have the same effect as they'd simply float away with the words. But putting them down on paper feels like acknowledging and organizing them into something more manageable.

Reactions: cissy
I agree! I also keep the lights dimmed low and some white noise on in the background - the TV with static noise does the job for me. Having a routine definitely helps too; winding down with a book or two before sleeping keeps my mind relaxed and less active.
I find that reading myself to sleep with a physical book is very soothing, especially with the right lighting. The soft glow of a bedside lamp, along with some essential oils burning nearby sets the atmosphere for relaxation.

Yes, I'm a big fan of keeping the room dark and quiet, especially with a toddler who wakes up at the crack of dawn! Black-out curtains are a blessing for those who need absolute darkness. A fan or white noise machine creates a comforting background noise that mutes any abrupt, jarring sounds that might interrupt sleep.

The white noise trick is something I rely on heavily! It's amazing how drowning out all the sudden noises helps to keep me asleep. I also find that using an eye mask and earplugs can create a false sense of security and make me more comfortable attempting to sleep - especially when traveling or in unfamiliar environments.

Dim lighting definitely helps signal to your body that it's time to wind down! A little ambient noise can be comforting too, like a white noise machine or even the hum of a fan. Some people find ASMR soothing; I prefer the sounds of nature myself - rain, ocean waves, or birds chirping. Anything to muffle any potential distracting noises.

That's a great trick to keep the mind settled and focused, especially with the added benefit of being able to drift off while someone else is doing the reading! A calm and focused bedtime routine certainly has a calming effect on the body and mind.

Yup, that's right! Using a notebook and pen for brain-dumping is a tangible and efficient way to clear mental clutter. It's satisfying to physically cross off items too, which creates a sense of progress and organization. I find it particularly helpful when the thoughts are too lengthy or complex to vocalize verbally.
It's almost like a ritual, isn't it? There's something therapeutic about having a notebook routine before bed - calms the mind and signals to your body that bedtime is coming.

Yeah, I agree that having a pen and paper helps! It's satisfying to physically write it down too; it feels like you're giving those thoughts a proper home, so they won't be running amok in your head. Also, it trains your mind to think that when you have such thoughts, you simply jot them down and continue with your sleep because you know you'll tend to them later.
That's a good observation! Having a tangible place for those thoughts gives them a temporary home. It's almost like telling yourself, "I see you, thought; we'll deal with you later," which is quite comforting in a way. Itacklessly acknowledge the thought and move on, knowing that it won't be forgotten because it's safely written down.

Yeah, I agree that having a pen and paper helps! It's satisfying to physically write it down too; it feels like you're giving those thoughts a proper home, so they won't be running amok in your head. Also, it trains your mind to think that when you have such thoughts, you simply jot them down and continue with your sleep because you know you'll tend to them later.
That's true. There's a psychological benefit to the act of writing them down. It's like an unspoken acknowledgement; the thoughts are real and worth paying attention to, but not worthy of stealing your sleep.

You're right about giving those thoughts a proper home! I feel that this practice also helps me process them mentally earlier in the day. I give myself some time to reflect and process, so when bedtime comes, I'm more relaxed and ready to sleep. There's a sense of closure with each item written down and acknowledged.

That's true. Giving those thoughts some form of closure makes them less likely to haunt you while trying to sleep.

Yes!! I totally agree!! There's just something about physically writing it down that helps me externalize and organize my thoughts better. Plus, it's kind of satisfying to physically cross things off my to-do list too haha!
It is a rewarding action that puts a mental tick mark even when you don't actually write one. The act of articulating the thought, be it digitally or on paper, seems to give order and peace to our bustling minds, especially on tumultuous nights.

Yes!! I totally agree!! There's just something about physically writing it down that helps me externalize and organize my thoughts better. Plus, it's kind of satisfying to physically cross things off my to-do list too haha!
It's amazing how that simple act of scribing our thoughts on paper can be so powerful in clearing mental clutter. The satisfaction of ticking items off is therapeutic, especially when paired with the knowledge that you're addressing those thoughts and they won't be forgotten.

It's a very deliberate action - writing it down acknowledging the thought/concern and then putting it aside literally and mentally. Then, there's the sense of accomplishment as you watch your progress piling up with each item ticked off!

It is quite satisfying It's like giving a name to an anonymous fear or concern, which makes it more real and thus easier to address or let go of. Externalizing these thoughts also allows for some healthy distancing.

Yup, the physicality of it helps - the sensation of pen on paper is quite comforting and signifies to your brain that you're doing something tangible to address those thoughts.
It's almost therapeutic in a way - a very intentional and deliberate act that signals the mind to relax because you've literally 'dealt' with those thoughts.

Yup, the physicality of it helps - the sensation of pen on paper is quite comforting and signifies to your brain that you're doing something tangible to address those thoughts.
That's true! Writing things down feels more permanent and acknowledging compared to digital notes. There's a satisfaction to it, like you've properly processed those thoughts and can now let go of them.

• Love
Reactions: cissy and bookworm
It's like telling your mind, "I see you, thought; thank you for letting me know, but that can wait until morning." That acknowledgment seems to ease the urgency of the thought, at least for me.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu