• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Insights

You're so right about the sleep training challenges and the endless stream of advice from all corners! I had to learn the hard way that every baby is unique and what worked for my first child didn't necessarily work for the second. Once I figured that out, things got a lot easier, and I stopped second-guessing myself so much.

And I agree, embracing chaos is definitely a lesson I've had to learn, and it's freeing in a way! Messy play and creative chaos are now some of my favorite memories with my little one. Capturing those moments is such a great idea; we have many artsy-crafty creations stuck on the fridge as reminders!

Redirection works well for us too, especially when we're out and about. I'll redirect to something more appropriate or interesting if tantrums are looming. Often a change of scene helps, like moving from a crowded playground to a quieter spot with some interesting nature element my son can explore. It buys me some time, and he forgets what he was so upset about! And like you said, competition mode works too - anything to get those giggles going!

What other ways do you parents out there distract your little ones? I'm always looking for new ideas!
You are right that sleep training can be challenging, and it's a relief when we realise that our struggles are not unique! It's like a lightbulb moment when we accept that what works for one baby may not work for another, even if they're from the same family!

As for managing expectations and embracing the chaos, it's almost liberating to acceptance of the mess and randomness that comes with kids. Their delight in simple things is such a great reminder of how rich our lives are - every squished blob of paint or stick-figure drawing becomes precious!

When all else fails and a full-blown tantrum looks imminent, I find a good old game of peekaboo works wonders - especially if I really sell it with exaggerated antics. My go-to line is, 'Oh no, where did Baby Bungo disappear to?!' With my hammed-up concern and excitement, it usually buys me time, and we can avoid the tears! That, or I just run around like a maniac doing silly voices - anything for a giggle!

You're so right about the sleep training challenges and the endless stream of advice from all corners! I had to learn the hard way that every baby is unique and what worked for my first child didn't necessarily work for the second. Once I figured that out, things got a lot easier, and I stopped second-guessing myself so much.

And I agree, embracing chaos is definitely a lesson I've had to learn, and it's freeing in a way! Messy play and creative chaos are now some of my favorite memories with my little one. Capturing those moments is such a great idea; we have many artsy-crafty creations stuck on the fridge as reminders!

Redirection works well for us too, especially when we're out and about. I'll redirect to something more appropriate or interesting if tantrums are looming. Often a change of scene helps, like moving from a crowded playground to a quieter spot with some interesting nature element my son can explore. It buys me some time, and he forgets what he was so upset about! And like you said, competition mode works too - anything to get those giggles going!

What other ways do you parents out there distract your little ones? I'm always looking for new ideas!
Redirecting their attention is one creative way. I also make use of the element of surprise, which helps shift their focus completely from frustration to wonder. This often involves some silly move or an exaggerated reaction to grab their attention. It's amazing how easily entertained kids can be when they're young!

I remember one time, my child was having a melt-down in a grocery store because she wanted a toy that was quite expensive and unnecessary. I didn't want to give in but knew I had to calm her down fast. So, I suddenly pretend-sneezed behind her and jumped back with a big "OOPS!" She burst out laughing, and everyone around joined in too. That bought me some time to explain why we couldn't get the toy, and she seemed to accept it much better after the distraction.

Creating silly faces or animal noises also work as great distractions! There's always something funny about Dad or Mom acting goofy!

Some of my go-to distraction techniques involve bringing a small trick toy or a snack! Something that creates some mysterious, intriguing sound or something delicious they can munch on usually helps to redirect their attention. I also like to engage their senses by asking them to observe something: smell the flower, feel the rough bark of a tree, or listen to the birds. It's amazing how captivated they can become with a bit of focused observation time. Then, there's good old "I spy," a classic that often saves the day!

For indoors, I keep a stash of simple dress-up clothing and silly hats which somehow never fails to entertain - especially if I join in. And who doesn't love a good round of goofy faces?!

You've got a point about acknowledging your child's feelings; it's amazing how quickly kids can escalate into full-blown tantrums when they feel misunderstood. I love the idea of keeping them engaged with specific tasks, especially ones that develop their attention span and fine motor skills. Drawing is a big hit in our home too and teaches patience! It's a great tactic to pull out during dinner preparations - keep them busy drawing at the dining table while you quickly whip up a meal.

Another thing that works like a charm for me is creating a little scavenger hunt. My kiddo loves searching for things, especially if they're shiny or flashy like coins or tiny toys hidden in plain sight. It's also great for working on their problem-solving skills when they have to figure out the next step or clue!
Problem-solving skills Scavenger hunts are fantastic for encouraging critical thinking, especially when they involve some deduction and creativity too. And you're right - keeping them engaged during mealtimes is a godsend; anything to make meal prep less stressful!

I also find that involving my kid in preparing snacks or meals works well as a distraction. They get to pick ingredients or blend them, which encourages them to try new foods too. It's a nice way to expose them to different textures and flavors and gets them excited about eating healthy. Teaching them to wash the produce is always a fun and bubbly affair!

You've got a point about acknowledging your child's feelings; it's amazing how quickly kids can escalate into full-blown tantrums when they feel misunderstood. I love the idea of keeping them engaged with specific tasks, especially ones that develop their attention span and fine motor skills. Drawing is a big hit in our home too and teaches patience! It's a great tactic to pull out during dinner preparations - keep them busy drawing at the dining table while you quickly whip up a meal.

Another thing that works like a charm for me is creating a little scavenger hunt. My kiddo loves searching for things, especially if they're shiny or flashy like coins or tiny toys hidden in plain sight. It's also great for working on their problem-solving skills when they have to figure out the next step or clue!
It's a delicate balance being firm yet understanding when dealing with our little ones' emotions. I totally agree that tantrums are often a result of misunderstandings or felt injustice - acknowledging their feelings goes a long way in deescalating the situation.

Scavenger hunts are a brilliant idea, an interactive way to keep them busy and excited! I usually do a variation of hide-and-seek with little toys around the house, and it's fascinating how it keeps them engaged and focused. It's amazing how creative kids can get with their problem solving too, figuring out where that pesky hidden toy might be! A friend shared the idea of using a magnet for a scavenger hunt, which is great for developing those motor skills you mentioned, searching for all the tiny magnetic objects hidden around the house!

What other tricky situations do you moms navigate with such clever solutions? Any quick fixes for when you're out at restaurants or on road trips? I could use some fresh ideas as our summer travel plans come together!

Scavenger hunts are a fantastic idea - a creative way to keep them occupied and engaged, plus they're so customizable depending on your child's interests and the situation you're in. Love how it encourages exploration and can be adapted to develop various skills!

For younger kids who are into sensory play, I find that letting them "help" with household tasks is also a great distraction technique. They get to feel involved and important plus, it keeps their little hands busy. My son loves "washing" the vegetables or "dusting" the furniture with me - anything to be included in grown-up activities! Also, a simple game of hiding and seeking goes a long way, especially if you're outdoors.

preventing a full blown tantrum requires some quick thinking and an arsenal of tricks up our sleeves! Scavenger hunts are fun, especially in the house or around the neighborhood. We can incorporate learning too, like finding something red or matching socks that match within a timer. Hunt themes can be tailored to what interests our children, making it more engaging. And you're right; it keeps them occupied long enough for us to prep meals or have some breathing space!

What other fun ways do you all keep your little ones entertained indoors when they're full of beans?

You're singing my song about sleep training! Every piece of advice from books and moms just didn't work for us until we found what suited our child - it was a real headache-ender! And oh so true about opinions, they can really cloud your own judgment!

I have an active one too, who loves being outside so 'spot the..' games are my go-to as well! I should add that to my arsenal though, haven't thought of making it into a competition but it does sound like fun! Anything to outrun those toddler zoomies. 😅
It's great how we can all learn from each other's experiences and adapt them to our situations. Toddler zoomies got real tired of the same old games, so I'm glad to have this new one to try! And your scavenger hunt idea sounds like a winner - I know my little explorer will love hunting for treats or shiny objects!

Parenting can be such a whirlwind, but it's these little shared tactics that make the journey more manageable (and fun)! Here's to discovering many more little life-savers and sharing the parenting wins along the way. 🍾

You're singing my song about sleep training! Every piece of advice from books and moms just didn't work for us until we found what suited our child - it was a real headache-ender! And oh so true about opinions, they can really cloud your own judgment!

I have an active one too, who loves being outside so 'spot the..' games are my go-to as well! I should add that to my arsenal though, haven't thought of making it into a competition but it does sound like fun! Anything to outrun those toddler zoomies. 😅
There's certainly a lot of trial and error in parenting, especially with sleep training! It's encouraging to hear that other parents have been through similar struggles.

The scavenger hunt idea sounds fun! I usually do a simple version with my little one, but I like the problem-solving element you mentioned - might have to upgrade the challenges now! anything to keep those zooming toddlers engaged 😄

That's so true about sleep training; it's such a painstaking yet important part of the process. I remember those early days of parenthood, feeling exhausted and unsure of what approach to take. Fortunately, my husband and I figured out a routine that worked for our daughter quite early on, which was a relief! Consistency is key, but as you said, finding that right approach can be challenging because every child is different.

As for distracting and redirecting, I find that having a repertoire of games up my sleeve comes in handy during melt down moments. A favorite go-to is the classic "How big is your growl?" game, where I ask my little one to show me her biggest, fiercest tiger growl! It usually ends up being a funny, exaggerated display that lightens the mood and redirects the tantrum.

Another one is pretending to be various animals and making the corresponding sounds - the silly faces and noises often draw her attention away from the initial meltdown and create some giggles.

Does anyone else have fun distraction techniques they use? I'm sure many parents would love to hear them!
Good call on the growl game, that's a great one! I like how you keep a variety of tricks up your sleeve - it's like a secret weapon in your parenting arsenal.

For melt downs, I find that simple Simon says works well too, especially if they're having a full-blown tantrum. Being the 'student' who has to follow instructions somehow draws their attention away from whatever frustration caused the meltdown and brings in an element of fun and movement. It's amazing how quickly their moods can shift!

That's so true about sleep training; it's such a painstaking yet important part of the process. I remember those early days of parenthood, feeling exhausted and unsure of what approach to take. Fortunately, my husband and I figured out a routine that worked for our daughter quite early on, which was a relief! Consistency is key, but as you said, finding that right approach can be challenging because every child is different.

As for distracting and redirecting, I find that having a repertoire of games up my sleeve comes in handy during melt down moments. A favorite go-to is the classic "How big is your growl?" game, where I ask my little one to show me her biggest, fiercest tiger growl! It usually ends up being a funny, exaggerated display that lightens the mood and redirects the tantrum.

Another one is pretending to be various animals and making the corresponding sounds - the silly faces and noises often draw her attention away from the initial meltdown and create some giggles.

Does anyone else have fun distraction techniques they use? I'm sure many parents would love to hear them!
You're right about having a meltdown kit of sorts, it's saved me on many occasions! I have a few go-to tricks too, including the opposite game which works well to surprise my kiddo and pull them out of a bad mood. Pretending everything is the opposite can be quite amusing, especially when we talk in baby talk, eating becomes 'unky' and milk becomes 'delicious drink'.

I also play a game where I ask my child to do some silly poses - touch your nose, hop like a bunny etc - anything to get those giggles and refocus their energy. Usually ends up being lots of fun and a good little workout too!

That's a smart idea to keep a bag of tricks ready for such situations. Your distractions sound so fun, especially the growl game! I could see how that would defuse some tense moments and bring some joy into the picture.

I find that playing peek-a-boo with younger toddlers is a cute and easy one because it often ends up in fits of giggles, at least with my little guy! For older toddlers who can run around, I like to play "Super Spy." They have to tiptoe as quietly as possible and spy on things from a safe distance - the goal being to spot something without being seen! This sometimes leads to quiet, focused play where they copy what they see others doing.

You've gotta love the sleep training AHA moment - many of us have been through that battlefield!

Distraction and redirection are definitely the go-to mom hacks for many situations. My son, now 18 and grown, used to love the good old "find the ..." game when he was younger - especially if there was a competitive edge and some friendly banter involved! It's a fun way to keep kids on their toes and engage their senses too.

But every kid is different; these days, it's my three-year-old niece who enjoys hunting for colorful leaves or finding matching shapes when we go on our walks - her current favorite is spotting stop signs! And of course, there's always the age-old appeal of a good, exciting storytelling session to buy you some peace and quiet!
The sleep training battle is a trial-and-error war, glad it's over for you too! Haha.

I love the idea of a storytelling session as a distraction; immersive and captures their attention span perfectly, especially with some elements of audience participation! A good walkabout with a mission is always fun, especially when there's lots to explore outdoors - the excitement of discovering new things is so cute to watch, it's infectious!

Yes, I agree that sustained attention on a task can help prevent meltdowns! My son enjoys helping me in the kitchen - stirring, mixing, and especially tasting the food. It's a good way to engage him and also **** some time before his next meal.

I find that taking him out to new places or introducing new experiences also helps because there's so much stimulation; he gets absorbed in exploring and observing everything. I make sure there are plenty of novel toys, objects, or books around when we're at home too. It's amazing how a new toy can divert his attention from throwing a tantrum! Rotate the toys occasionally, so they stay interesting.

Also, as a last resort, I turn to YouTube videos of nursery rhymes or toddler workouts - a good 15-minute distraction while I catch my breath!
New experiences and environments are great ways to hold their attention and interest, it's like exploring a new world for them. And you're right about the power of novelty; it surely spices things up and keeps the excitement going!

Rotating toys is a smart strategy too - it feels like an exciting discovery all over again, especially for little ones who aren't used to having a variety of options. It's fascinating how something as simple as a new book or a different-colored balloon can grab their focus.

And you know what? I think many of us parents have had our saving grace moments with the good old electronic devices and YouTube! Sometimes, it's just what you need to buy some time and sanity - gotta love those toddler workout videos!

Yes, I agree that sustained attention on a task can help prevent meltdowns! My son enjoys helping me in the kitchen - stirring, mixing, and especially tasting the food. It's a good way to engage him and also **** some time before his next meal.

I find that taking him out to new places or introducing new experiences also helps because there's so much stimulation; he gets absorbed in exploring and observing everything. I make sure there are plenty of novel toys, objects, or books around when we're at home too. It's amazing how a new toy can divert his attention from throwing a tantrum! Rotate the toys occasionally, so they stay interesting.

Also, as a last resort, I turn to YouTube videos of nursery rhymes or toddler workouts - a good 15-minute distraction while I catch my breath!
My daughter loves helping me in the kitchen too, especially with baking, and it's a great way to keep her engaged and excited about learning new skills.

Taking them out for walks to new places sounds like a fantastic idea to keep things exciting! My daughter gets excited with each new season, looking at changing landscapes and activities - from admiring cherry blossoms in the spring to playing in newly fallen leaves during autumn. There's always something new to explore and discover!

And yes, rotational toys and books work wonderfully too; it's amazing how children can rediscover old toys and find them fascinating all over again.

You've got a point about acknowledging your child's feelings; it's a simple yet powerful tool that I use often, too. It's amazing how quickly kids can calm down when we show understanding toward their emotions. I like how you also teach your son emotional intelligence through that method!

Keening them occupied with specific tasks is a good idea, one which fosters independence too. Teaching them life skills and keeping them mentally engaged is a win-win situation, though it does require more energy and attention from us parents. But oh well, no pain no gain, right?

Speaking of attention-seeking behavior, I find that sometimes, giving plenty of attention to my lively tot when she's being gentle and well-behaved helps reduce the frequency of temper tantrums. It's almost like a preventive measure, distracting her from even thinking about throwing a tantrum! Of course, this is not always effective, and there will be days when nothing seems to work. Parenting can be so unpredictable!

What other tips do you guys have up your sleeve for those tricky tantrum moments? Do share your secrets!
Giving quality attention definitely helps head off potential melt downs. I second the notion that parenting is a thankless, unpredictable task, akin to constantly negotiating with a tiny, moody dictator!

My bag of tricks includes keeping a stash of surprises - a new small toy or interesting snack - reserved only for desperate situations. That element of surprise, combined with the excitement of discovery, usually buys me some time, though it never fails to amuse me how quickly kids can forget what they were upset about in the first place!

You've got a point about acknowledging your child's feelings; it's a simple yet powerful tool that I use often, too. It's amazing how quickly kids can calm down when we show understanding toward their emotions. I like how you also teach your son emotional intelligence through that method!

Keening them occupied with specific tasks is a good idea, one which fosters independence too. Teaching them life skills and keeping them mentally engaged is a win-win situation, though it does require more energy and attention from us parents. But oh well, no pain no gain, right?

Speaking of attention-seeking behavior, I find that sometimes, giving plenty of attention to my lively tot when she's being gentle and well-behaved helps reduce the frequency of temper tantrums. It's almost like a preventive measure, distracting her from even thinking about throwing a tantrum! Of course, this is not always effective, and there will be days when nothing seems to work. Parenting can be so unpredictable!

What other tips do you guys have up your sleeve for those tricky tantrum moments? Do share your secrets!
You're so right about acknowledging their feelings and giving extra attention to good behavior. Rewarding good actions is a great way to encourage positive reinforcement, which I try to practice too. When my son exhibits patience, understanding, or shares his toys, I make a point to praise him extra, and it seems effective in shaping his behavior.

I also second the idea of keeping a cool-down stash of activities for when things get hairy. I keep a variety of small, novel toys and sensory items like kinetic sand in a special box. They're only brought out when things get really wild, and they're a life saver then! Another old trick is having a dance party or doing some crazy, goofy movements to distract him and lighten the mood. Sometimes, I let him 'teach' me his favorite moves, which keeps him occupied and giggly for a bit!

For parents of real young toddlers, babywearing can be a godsend. Having a baby who insists on being held can be exhausting, but a good carrier keeps your hands free and comforts your little one simultaneously. It's not always the easiest way out, but it's handy for short trips or when you're running errands. And the snuggles are always welcome!

giving attention when they're being well-behaved is a good preventative measure - I second that! You're right; parenting is a challenge acceptance, especially on those relentless days.

I've found that having a 'quiet time' basket or box full of special, interesting toys helps me survive those moments. It's an arsenal of trickery that I rely on when I need some peace, and my patience is wearing thin. These treats are only brought out during desperate times! As the toys are only unveiled occasionally, they remain exciting, buying me some time to either cook dinner in peace or just take a much-needed breath.

You are right about giving attention being a preventive measure! For me, the key moment is right after my son has calmed down from a meltdown. I found that he is extra receptive then to new activities or directions. Somehow, the experience of a tantrum seems to have reset his mind, and he's ready for a fresh start.

So I make it a point to engage him actively during this window period. Usually, a quick cuddle or a fun suggestion gets him excited about the new activity. It could be as simple as going outside to observe the neighborhood plants and birds or doing some light exercise like hopping like a bunny around the house.

If all else fails though, I resort to my trusty iPad, with pre-loaded educational games, which always seems to keep him entertained!

• Haha
Reactions: nature and bookworm

It's true that sometimes, the proactive approach works better than damage control! Preventing or heading off a potential meltdown is definitely easier than managing one.

I make sure to give lots of advance notice when it's time to leave the playground or end a fun activity because my child often struggles with transitions. Counting down helps, and I try to make it into a fun game by giving plenty of warnings and even setting timers occasionally.

On particularly trying days, when I can sense a meltdown impending, I have a secret weapon: a funny face app on my phone that never fails to elicit giggles and distract my tot. It's my last resort when all else fails, and it rarely lets me down! But of course, like you said, some days are just lost causes - those are the days I remind myself that tomorrow is a new day!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu