• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Insights

Yes teaching them young the difference between 'wants' and 'needs' is a great insight! I've been trying to instil gratefulness and appreciation for what they have, especially in this material-driven world. It's tough, because it's such a fine line to tread - you want them to have everything they need, but not everything they want. I find that experiences are a great way to divert their attention from material desires. Making memories creates a lot more value and doesn't foster excessive consumerism.
You're right about the danger of raising entitled kids; it's a delicate balance to strike! experiences create a different kind of value and appreciation, which is an excellent shift from material wants. Making memories can also make lessons more tangible - like explaining the importance of patience with a fun activity as the reward, instead of a toy they'll grow bored of quickly. "><It's amazing how parenting often comes down to subtle psychology! Teaching lessons through experience is such a great way to bring context to life; it really helps shape their worldview too. And you're so right about avoiding entitled behavior - creating an appreciation for experiences over things is such an important skill these days. It's a wonderful way to raise kids who value relationships and adventures.

Short attention spans are definitely a challenge! Timeouts can be effective, especially when used consistently. I've found that using a timer and explaining the concept of minutes helps my kids understand the duration better, and it doesn't feel so indefinite.
That's a clever way to implement time-outs without causing too much frustration! Using the timer ensures transparency and is a visual representation of consequence duration, which helps your kids comprehend the reason behind the discipline tactic. I'll have to give this a go sometime; thanks for sharing!

Short attention spans are definitely a challenge! Timeouts can be effective, especially when used consistently. I've found that using a timer and explaining the concept of minutes helps my kids understand the duration better, and it doesn't feel so indefinite.
That's a clever way to use a child's short attention span to your advantage! Using a timer for time outs gives them an actionable and tangible sense of time instead of the usual abstract concept. I find that using physical timers or clocks also helps them visualize the passage of time, which is often difficult for young children to comprehend. Teaching them about minutes and seconds makes it easier to grasp, and they get a kick out of watching the minutes tick by. It's a great way to introduce the concept of time management, too!

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm and wisdom
Time-outs sure can be effective especially for young kids, but I've found that explaining the concept of consequences helps too. Of course, this works best with older toddlers and preschoolers - framing it in a way they can understand: "If you throw your toy, it might break, and we won't be able to fix it." Giving them a chance to consider the outcome before acting definitely teaches some accountability.
You're right! Explaining consequences is great for encouraging critical thinking and fostering accountability - that's an excellent point! It empowers them to make informed decisions by connecting actions and outcomes.

Time-outs sure can be effective especially for young kids, but I've found that explaining the concept of consequences helps too. Of course, this works best with older toddlers and preschoolers - framing it in a way they can understand: "If you throw your toy, it might break, and we won't be able to fix it." Giving them a chance to consider the outcome before acting definitely teaches some accountability.
That's a great strategy! Being able to anticipate and understand consequences is a skill that takes time to learn, and starting early helps with plenty of repetition and reinforcement.

You're right; making the connection between actions and consequences is a valuable lesson. It's a great strategy to involve them in the explanation too, giving them some control over the narrative. That way, they feel less like the decision was forced upon them, and more of a joint agreement. It fosters an understanding of cause and effect, which is a vital life skill!

Timeouts are helpful but only when my kid is in the right frame of mind; otherwise, it escalates the situation and extends the tantrum duration for sure! But yep, they work wonders usually and teach a needed lesson of calm reflection, haha! And yes, short attention spans - that's definitely been my saviour many times too. Just redirect that focus and you're golden!
I agree that timeout doesn't work well with an already escalating situation - it often makes things worse! Diversion is a better approach then, and luckily kids' short attention spans make that possible.

Timeouts are helpful but only when my kid is in the right frame of mind; otherwise, it escalates the situation and extends the tantrum duration for sure! But yep, they work wonders usually and teach a needed lesson of calm reflection, haha! And yes, short attention spans - that's definitely been my saviour many times too. Just redirect that focus and you're golden!
Wow, you've shared so many great insights! Thank you! It's wonderful when little tips and tricks make parenting a little easier 😊.

Using time outs judiciously is key; it's definitely not going to help in the heat of an already-escalated situation! I find that having a variety of distraction techniques up your sleeve is helpful, so you don't rely on the same method every time. Otherwise, like you said, tempers will flare!

I completely agree with you on the timeouts. They are certainly not a one-size-fits-all solution, especially when children are already worked up; it can escalate the situation and make matters worse. Defusing tantrums is a real art, and every kid is different! But yes, that split attention span has definitely been my rescue plan on many occasions too.

I employed the "cry it out" method, which I know sounds horrid, but it was the only thing that worked for my little one. It was hard because he would wail and cry for up to 45 minutes, and I had to go in there and reassure him at longer intervals until he fell asleep. I started with five minutes, then increased it by a few minutes each night. It was brutal, to be honest, but after three nights of this routine, he started sleeping through the night, and our lives changed drastically for the better! No more cranky, sleep-deprived kid or parents!

I do agree with you that every child is different, though, and what works for one might not work for another. This method seemed to suit our son's determined character best because he knew what he wanted and didn't give up easy! So, parents out there trying this might have to gauge their little one's temperament first and see if it's a suitable strategy. Nothing like a good night's rest to make us all feel brand new!
Oh gosh, the cry-it-out method is tough love It's good to hear that it worked for your determined little one, but you're right - it might not be suitable for all kids. The temperament and personality definitely play a huge role in what methods work best. I'm glad it brought some peace to your household eventually, and three nights is a relatively short duration to endure for longer-term benefits! It's encouraging to hear that it worked so well, and hopefully, other parents can give it a go if they feel it might suit their situation too. Every experience helps!

Time out is a good method that I use quite often too. It's amazing how effective it can be when done consistently and at the right moments. You're right about the short attention spans though; you really have to be quick with your tactics!
I've also found that employing distractions works best when they're immediate and quick, otherwise, the moment is gone! Short-lived distractions like sparkling stickers or the promise of a fun activity work well for deflecting my child's attention away from something inappropriate.

Time out is a good method that I use quite often too. It's amazing how effective it can be when done consistently and at the right moments. You're right about the short attention spans though; you really have to be quick with your tactics!
Yeah, distractions are like magic wands - wave them around real fast, and poof, the tantrum's gone! But yeah, that precious concentration span can make or break the situation. Got to love those little surprises that work!

I used the cry-it-out method recommended by our paediatrician. It was tough because he would cry and wail for almost an hour before finally falling asleep, but after three nights of consistent implementation, there was noticeable improvement. We made sure to provide lots of comfort and assurance during the day and maintained a fixed bedtime routine with minimal stimulation before sleep. It's not an easy method, but it worked for us, and his sleep has improved significantly!
That's great to hear! Consistent routines and some tough love go a long way in teaching our little ones healthy sleep habits. It's encouraging to know that such methods can work within just a few days too - definitely reassuring for frazzled parents!

You're right about that; teaching them that life isn't always a bowl of cherries helps in the long run. Good on you for finding an approach that works to boost his confidence too!
It's definitely a challenge getting toddlers to understand emotions, especially negative ones. But it's so important, as you said, to help them process and express them healthily!

Good on you for encouraging your son to keep improving and not let him get comfortable with mediocre skills! It's a great way to instill the value of perseverance and a growth mindset from young, and it definitely sounds like a fun way to bond too.
That's true - fostering a growth mindset goes a long way in encouraging our kids. It's a fun, subtle approach to education too, teaching them about winning and losing gracefully through these games!

Good on you for encouraging your son to keep improving and not let him get comfortable with mediocre skills! It's a great way to instill the value of perseverance and a growth mindset from young, and it definitely sounds like a fun way to bond too.
It's a tricky balance to strike - pushing them just enough to encourage improvement but not deter them. Fortunately, my kid seems to enjoy the challenge and gets a kick out of mastering new skills. The excitement on his face makes all the effort worthwhile! Certainly makes for fond memories, even during the tougher phases.

The joy of watching them grow confident in their abilities is half the battle won, isn't it? Glad to hear you've found a fun way to encourage your little one!

That's a great insight, keeping the games competitive even when playing with young'uns. Keeping them grounded and encouraging a humble yet confident attitude is so important these days! It's good to hear that you're instilling those values in your son at an early age.

I've found that using such opportunities for moral lessons is valuable too. For instance, teaching them about sportsmanship and conceding gracefully when they lose, or being a good winner and not rub it in their opponent's face. These lessons on empathy and humility seem simple but are crucial life skills that can be honed through gaming and competitive activities.
You're right; those are great life lessons to be taught alongside! Keeps sportsmanship and fair play in check - which are vital skills to have and often overlooked in the excitement of gaming fun!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu