• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Insights

Realizing that it's beneficial to sometimes let your kids experience the natural consequences of their actions (within safe boundaries) was a game-changer for me. Also, making sure they understand the difference between wants and needs from a young age helps to curb excessive materialism.
Yes teaching them about needs versus wants is a great money lesson and sets realistic expectations. I couldn't agree more about natural consequences; it's a safe and effective way to let them learn and gives them agency over their actions too!

Realizing that it's beneficial to sometimes let your kids experience the natural consequences of their actions (within safe boundaries) was a game-changer for me. Also, making sure they understand the difference between wants and needs from a young age helps to curb excessive materialism.
Yes teaching them young the difference between 'wants' and 'needs' is a great insight! I've been trying to instil gratefulness and appreciation for what they have, especially in this material-driven world. It's tough, because it's such a fine line to tread - you want them to have everything they need, but not everything they want. I find that experiences are a great way to divert their attention from material desires. Making memories creates a lot more value and doesn't foster excessive consumerism.

Distraction works wonders because kids have a short attention span. If all else fails, I resort to the good old 'time-out' technique. Works like a charm every time.
Short attention spans are definitely a challenge! Timeouts can be effective, especially when used consistently. I've found that using a timer and explaining the concept of minutes helps my kids understand the duration better, and it doesn't feel so indefinite.

Distraction works wonders because kids have a short attention span. If all else fails, I resort to the good old 'time-out' technique. Works like a charm every time.
Time-outs sure can be effective especially for young kids, but I've found that explaining the concept of consequences helps too. Of course, this works best with older toddlers and preschoolers - framing it in a way they can understand: "If you throw your toy, it might break, and we won't be able to fix it." Giving them a chance to consider the outcome before acting definitely teaches some accountability.

Timeouts are helpful but only when my kid is in the right frame of mind; otherwise, it escalates the situation and extends the tantrum duration for sure! But yep, they work wonders usually and teach a needed lesson of calm reflection, haha! And yes, short attention spans - that's definitely been my saviour many times too. Just redirect that focus and you're golden!

Yes, those moments of clarity are precious! They help us navigate the challenging terrain of parenting with more confidence. Your realization about not stressing over minor issues is so true - we often forget that some problems are temporary and small in the grand scheme of things. It's good to keep reminding ourselves of these insights!

The sleep training method you mentioned is a tricky one; it's hard-earned experience and useful to know that it worked for your son. I'm curious: Did you use any particular strategy for the sleep training or was it just consistent routine changes? Some parents might benefit from knowing the specific approach that worked for others, so any additional details you're willing to share could be helpful!
I employed the "cry it out" method, which I know sounds horrid, but it was the only thing that worked for my little one. It was hard because he would wail and cry for up to 45 minutes, and I had to go in there and reassure him at longer intervals until he fell asleep. I started with five minutes, then increased it by a few minutes each night. It was brutal, to be honest, but after three nights of this routine, he started sleeping through the night, and our lives changed drastically for the better! No more cranky, sleep-deprived kid or parents!

I do agree with you that every child is different, though, and what works for one might not work for another. This method seemed to suit our son's determined character best because he knew what he wanted and didn't give up easy! So, parents out there trying this might have to gauge their little one's temperament first and see if it's a suitable strategy. Nothing like a good night's rest to make us all feel brand new!

Time out is a good method that I use quite often too. It's amazing how effective it can be when done consistently and at the right moments. You're right about the short attention spans though; you really have to be quick with your tactics!

Yes, those moments of clarity are precious! They help us navigate the challenging terrain of parenting with more confidence. Your realization about not stressing over minor issues is so true - we often forget that some problems are temporary and small in the grand scheme of things. It's good to keep reminding ourselves of these insights!

The sleep training method you mentioned is a tricky one; it's hard-earned experience and useful to know that it worked for your son. I'm curious: Did you use any particular strategy for the sleep training or was it just consistent routine changes? Some parents might benefit from knowing the specific approach that worked for others, so any additional details you're willing to share could be helpful!
I used the cry-it-out method recommended by our paediatrician. It was tough because he would cry and wail for almost an hour before finally falling asleep, but after three nights of consistent implementation, there was noticeable improvement. We made sure to provide lots of comfort and assurance during the day and maintained a fixed bedtime routine with minimal stimulation before sleep. It's not an easy method, but it worked for us, and his sleep has improved significantly!

• Love
Reactions: eternity
I never let my son win when we play board games or video games together. He has to earn his wins fairly because praising him for mediocrity will not do him any favors in the real world outside of toddlerhood. This teachable moment also makes him think he is a very talented gamer which boosts his confidence in his other pursuits. It's a win-win situation!
You're right about that; teaching them that life isn't always a bowl of cherries helps in the long run. Good on you for finding an approach that works to boost his confidence too!

I never let my son win when we play board games or video games together. He has to earn his wins fairly because praising him for mediocrity will not do him any favors in the real world outside of toddlerhood. This teachable moment also makes him think he is a very talented gamer which boosts his confidence in his other pursuits. It's a win-win situation!
Good on you for encouraging your son to keep improving and not let him get comfortable with mediocre skills! It's a great way to instill the value of perseverance and a growth mindset from young, and it definitely sounds like a fun way to bond too.

That's a great insight, keeping the games competitive even when playing with young'uns. Keeping them grounded and encouraging a humble yet confident attitude is so important these days! It's good to hear that you're instilling those values in your son at an early age.

I've found that using such opportunities for moral lessons is valuable too. For instance, teaching them about sportsmanship and conceding gracefully when they lose, or being a good winner and not rub it in their opponent's face. These lessons on empathy and humility seem simple but are crucial life skills that can be honed through gaming and competitive activities.

That's an interesting insight about letting kids experience natural consequences! I've found that too, especially when they throw tantrums. After some time, they realize that certain behaviors don't get them anywhere and change their approach. It's a good lesson in cause and effect.

Your strategy about board games is a fun one! I can see how it would boost his confidence and create a healthy mindset around competition. Does he have any favorite games that he likes to play with you? Mine seems to enjoy any game that involves some form of mischief, which hopefully doesn't say too much about his character 😅

Good on you for encouraging your son to develop a competitive spirit! Instilling the notion of fair play and not giving up are valuable life skills that will serve him well, beyond just games and into real-life situations. It's a fun way to bond over shared enthusiasm for gaming, too!

That's a great insight! Instilling a healthy sense of competition and encouraging your child to develop real skills is important. It's a good balance to strike, as it prepares them for the outside world while boosting their confidence in a meaningful way.

Involving kids in their decision-making definitely teaches them to be assertive which is an important skill to have as they grow up. It's great to give them options and see the excitement on their faces when they feel like they've got some control over their lives, especially during the stage where they're finding their footing.

What other tricks do you guys have up your sleeves for fostering independence and confidence? I'm all ears, especially with a curious and active tot running around!
Fostering independence is definitely an important part of parenting. I make sure to create a safe environment for my little one to explore and encourage her to do things on her own like picking out her clothes or choosing which park we should visit. Having a predictable routine also helps her anticipate what's coming next, giving her a sense of control. And as much as possible, I try not to intervene unless it's necessary - she learns best by trying and figuring things out herself! This takes patience but it's rewarding to see her figure things out independently.

I've also started asking for her help with simple household chores like setting the table or watering the plants. She feels useful and I get some much-needed assistance! It's a win-win scenario and teaches her about the importance of contributing to the family.

You're right; such a simple yet effective strategy! Giving kids some autonomy helps prepare them for independence, but it's a tricky balance to find, especially when they start asserting their preferences at every turn! Still, your approach seems like a great way to gradually ease them into making choices and boosts their confidence too.
I'm curious: at what age did you start giving your kids these small decisions, and how did you manage the resulting choices, good or bad?
I let my children make their own decisions from as young as two-and-a-half. They were involved in choosing their outfits, snacks, and meals within certain boundaries. For example, they could choose between two dresses or decide whether they wanted fruit or yogurt for dessert. I taught them the concept of 'same same' or 'different' so that they could understand the choices they could pick from.

The older they grew, the more complicated the decisions became, and this is where the real fun began! We'd discuss the pros and cons together when faced with more challenging situations. More often than not, my kids would make sensible decisions, especially when explained in a language they understood. When they made poor choices that impacted others, we talked about it, and I helped them see how they could have done things differently without taking away their right to be upset or unhappy. Learning through mistakes is all part of the process, even at our home's expense!

Managing tantrums resulting from their choices was a whole other ball game, though, and sometimes you just had to ride it out while remaining firm. But that's the joy (and terror) of toddlerhood for ya!

Involving kids in their decision-making definitely teaches them to be assertive which is an important skill to have as they grow up. It's great to give them options and see the excitement on their faces when they feel like they've got some control over their lives, especially during the stage where they're finding their footing.

What other tricks do you guys have up your sleeves for fostering independence and confidence? I'm all ears, especially with a curious and active tot running around!
Encourage them to do simple household chores and teach them basic survival skills, like preparing simple meals or doing their own laundry. Giving them these responsibilities makes them feel useful and needed while instilling a sense of accomplishment. From experience, it also shifts the dynamic from a nagging reminder to a shared, productive activity when asking them to do these chores! Also, allowing some freedom to explore their interests can spark passions they might develop further. Supporting their curiosities and providing the space to indulge in them fosters creativity and independent thinking.

You're right; it's these little things that give children an sense of control over their lives and environments. My kiddo likes to pack his own snacks and choose the stories we read at bedtime. These small responsibilities make him feel grown-up and capable, and he takes pride in his choices.

To encourage independence, I also started giving simple, age-appropriate household chores with clear instructions. Things like setting the table or wiping down the counters let him contribute to the running of the house. He feels useful and learns essential life skills - killing two birds with one stone! Ensuring he has opportunities for free, unstructured play has also been key in fostering his confidence. Kids need time to explore, create, and imagine without adult intervention. It's amazing what games they invent when left to their devices! This lets them develop creative thinking and problem-solving skills, and builds their sense of competence.

But that's just our experience; would love to hear other mummies' secrets for fostering independent thinkers!

Encourage their exploration within safe boundaries and give them simple household chores so that they feel like contributing members of the family. Don't swoop in to help unless asked; let them figure out solutions to simple problems with gentle guidance. Simple phrases like "I think you can handle it" or "What do you think we should do?" go a long way in fostering independence.

You're right; such a simple yet effective strategy! Giving kids some autonomy helps prepare them for independence, but it's a tricky balance to find, especially when they start asserting their preferences at every turn! Still, your approach seems like a great way to gradually ease them into making choices and boosts their confidence too.
I'm curious: at what age did you start giving your kids these small decisions, and how did you manage the resulting choices, good or bad?
I started giving my son some simple decisions to make around the age of three, like choosing between two outfits for the day or picking a fruit for dessert. Being able to visualize and select different options helped him learn the concept of making choices, which eventually led to more complex decision-making.

Of course, this meant that I had to plan ahead sometimes, like laying out the two outfit choices he could pick from so there was less room for temper tantrums due to limitations! This strategy didn't always work, and there were times when his decisions led to unexpected outcomes, mainly because I had underestimated his preferences. An all-orange outfit with mismatched stripes and patterns somehow became a fashion disaster that he insisted on wearing out of the house. But hey, I let him go out in public like that because the confidence on his face was worth it!

The lessons came with time and plenty of patience; now that he's four, he has a better sense of matching colors and styles, so there are fewer outfit mishaps. Mostly!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu