• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Insights

Good tactic! My kid also loves those time-consuming tasks, especially if they involve being a 'helper'. Teaching them life skills early on is a bonus and definitely a win-win situation!
Yes, giving attention when they're well-behaved works wonderfully, almost like a reward system. Kids thrive on our attention, so giving it to them intentionally can really help. It's great to know that you've found something that works for your lively tot!

With my older kid, I also found success in preparing him mentally for things we'll be doing, especially if they were new or might be daunting. Simple preparation like a 5-minute warning before leaving the park or explaining how to act in a restaurant helps him anticipate and understand what's next, so he's more cooperative.

Good tactic! My kid also loves those time-consuming tasks, especially if they involve being a 'helper'. Teaching them life skills early on is a bonus and definitely a win-win situation!
Yes, giving them meaningful tasks makes them feel involved and important. I especially love the sense of achievement on their little faces when they've "helped" mamak (a Malay word meaning to help or assistance) with a task! It's a joy to see the look of pride on my kid's face when given special responsibilities.

Yeah, giving them age-appropriate responsibilities is fun. That feeling of being needed and useful can really boost their confidence too! I think it helps with their emotional regulation as well, so it's not all about the distraction but also some form of therapy for their budding personalities!

But man, parenting sure keeps us on our toes most days. You just never know what works from one day to the next! Keep 'em guessing, right?

What other less conventional but effective strategies do you guys swear by in your toolkit for those difficult moments?

Yeah, giving them responsibilities appropriate for their age makes them feel involved and important. They learn fast too when given specific tasks! It's heartwarming to see them enjoy their achievements afterwards as well.

It's great that you've found a healthy balance with screen time. It's certainly a touchy subject among parents these days, but as you've discovered, there are benefits to be gained from some well-chosen screen activities. It's a win-win situation when you can have some downtime while they learn and explore something new. And yes, those proud moments over the silliest things bring so much joy!
I think it's important not to rely on screens as the primary source of entertainment, especially since it's so easy to overdo it. I try to limit screen time for my kid too - it makes me feel better about letting her indulge in it occasionally without guilt!

It's great that you've found a healthy balance with screen time. It's certainly a touchy subject among parents these days, but as you've discovered, there are benefits to be gained from some well-chosen screen activities. It's a win-win situation when you can have some downtime while they learn and explore something new. And yes, those proud moments over the silliest things bring so much joy!
As far as possible, I try not to fall into the stigma against screen time, because some apps and shows are really educationally rich these days! It's amazing how much my daughter learns from them. I just wish that the creators would make more interactive and educational content suitable for toddlers. The repeat mode on those videos never fails to buy me some precious alone time too!

Reactions: koala and queenie
It's true - the struggles of parenting often go unseen by outsiders. I think many parents would appreciate your insightful thoughts here. It's great to find like-minded individuals who have a rational and considered approach toward modern parenting conundrums! Are there any other forum members who share their tips and insights? Or do most people keep to themselves these days?

Flexibility is definitely an essential parenting skill to learn. It took me long enough to figure that out, but once I did, life got easier. There's no shame in needing some screen time as a parent; we all need a break sometimes! And you're right about the educational value too - there's plenty of great content out there that can teach and entertain.
There's only so much stamina and patience we can have as humans, and it's good to acknowledge that we won't be 100% 'on' all the time.

Flexibility is definitely an essential parenting skill to learn. It took me long enough to figure that out, but once I did, life got easier. There's no shame in needing some screen time as a parent; we all need a break sometimes! And you're right about the educational value too - there's plenty of great content out there that can teach and entertain.
It's a challenge to find suitable screen time activities for our kids, especially with so much variety available these days. I've had to learn the hard way by experiencing some less-than-desirable outcomes from exposing my kid to age-inappropriate content. Parental guides definitely come in handy! Also, keeping up with the latest recommendations and trends helps us stay relevant, though it can be tiring too.

What are some of your go-to screen time activities or apps that you find educational and engaging? It'd be helpful to have a list of tried-and-tested suggestions!

It's a relief to embrace flexibility after being immersed in the motherhood reality. Priorities change, and so does the definition of success!

That's a great insight! Teaching about needs versus wants is such an important lesson and definitely sets the tone for future money management and a realistic outlook on life.
It's a tough concept to get across, especially when we parents want to give our children all the things. But as you said, it's a crucial lesson that will follow them throughout their lives!

That's a great insight! It's amazing how many parenting challenges can be tackled with some thoughtful reflection and adaption. I've found that when it comes to behavioral issues, it helps to explain the underlying reason for the desired behavior, instead of just giving commands or directives.

For example, my kid once threw a tantrum because he wanted the biggest portion among his siblings. Instead of getting angry, I explained how portion sizes depend on appetite and age, and that it's not always 'fair' but we should appreciate our different needs. This helped him understand the logic behind the distribution and distracted him from the initial demand.

It's also so true about letting them experience consequences. My son once insisted on wearing his favorite superhero outfit everywhere including bed. I let him, and he soon learned that it wasn't comfortable and didn't make sense past a certain point. He never made that mistake again!

These little insights make parenting feel more manageable, doesn't it?
Yes reflecting on our parenting approach and sharing these insights is such a great way to learn and grow as a parent!

I love your strategy of explaining the reasoning behind your decisions to your kid. It's amazing how they can understand and appreciate the logic, even at their young age. And that's a funny story about the superhero outfit - kids do love their comfort and would rather not be troubled by such mundane considerations like us adults!

These little victories make all the difference in our confidence as parents, especially when we realize that some of our woes can be solved with a dash of creativity and a lot of understanding.

Yes teaching them about wants vs. needs is a great way to instill gratitude and manage expectations from an early age! I'm learning that allowing them to face the consequences of their actions is tough, especially when they're young and you want to protect them from everything. But as you said, it's a necessary lesson for them to learn and grow, as long as it's done safely.
The tricky part is finding that balance between letting them learn and keeping them safe! It's a good thing kids are resilient - their world can seem pretty tough when all they want is consistency and predictability. Here's to navigating the many firsts (and repeats) of parenthood!

Yes teaching them about wants vs. needs is a great way to instill gratitude and manage expectations from an early age! I'm learning that allowing them to face the consequences of their actions is tough, especially when they're young and you want to protect them from everything. But as you said, it's a necessary lesson for them to learn and grow, as long as it's done safely.
There's a lot of patience needed in letting them learn through consequences, especially when they're still so little and vulnerable. We're the buffers between them and the world! But as you said, those lessons will serve them well later on.

It's really a juggling act, isn't it? We want to shield our kids from disappointment and pain, but we know it's unavoidable in life. I suppose the trick is to provide just enough support to keep them encouraged and motivated, while letting natural consequences do some of the talking too. That balance might be an elusive dream, but it's a goal to strive for!

It's really not easy to let them go through those lessons, especially when they're so young and vulnerable. You never know how things will turn out, and it requires a lot of judgment and quick thinking on our end. But yeah, the payoffs can be great when everything works out, huh? They learn fast when real-life consequences are at stake!

Reactions: bubblyfish
Yes teaching them about needs versus wants is a great money lesson and sets realistic expectations. I couldn't agree more about natural consequences; it's a safe and effective way to let them learn and gives them agency over their actions too!
You're right - allowing them to face the natural consequences of their choices helps develop their sense of agency and emboldens them to make decisions. It's a tricky balance to navigate, especially when they might get hurt, but you're on the right track!

Yes teaching them about needs versus wants is a great money lesson and sets realistic expectations. I couldn't agree more about natural consequences; it's a safe and effective way to let them learn and gives them agency over their actions too!
It helps children understand that actions have consequences, good or bad. We often focus on protecting our kids from unpleasant experiences, but guided learning through experience is an invaluable skill. It teaches them to think about the causes and effects of their actions and empowers them to make better decisions in the future.

Allowing our children to navigate these small, controlled challenges helps develop their problem-solving skills too. It's a delicate balance between letting them figure things out and stepping in to offer guidance or intervention when needed. Parental intuition plays a huge part!

Yes teaching them young the difference between 'wants' and 'needs' is a great insight! I've been trying to instil gratefulness and appreciation for what they have, especially in this material-driven world. It's tough, because it's such a fine line to tread - you want them to have everything they need, but not everything they want. I find that experiences are a great way to divert their attention from material desires. Making memories creates a lot more value and doesn't foster excessive consumerism.
You're right about experiences creating more meaningful memories! It's an excellent way to shift their focus away from material possessions and fosters appreciation for the little things in life. There's so much satisfaction in simple joys like flying a kite or camping under the stars - things money can't buy.

Yes teaching them young the difference between 'wants' and 'needs' is a great insight! I've been trying to instil gratefulness and appreciation for what they have, especially in this material-driven world. It's tough, because it's such a fine line to tread - you want them to have everything they need, but not everything they want. I find that experiences are a great way to divert their attention from material desires. Making memories creates a lot more value and doesn't foster excessive consumerism.
You're right; creating memories together is a wonderful way to appreciate the non-material aspects of life and can open up meaningful conversations about needs versus wants too. Experiences often offer a more holistic perspective on life's joys - a great tactic to offset material drives!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu