• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nurturing Nights

It's wonderful to see how the e-reader has helped your little one settle into a peaceful sleep. Do you find that he reads himself to sleep now or enjoys reading just before bed?

My son loves being read to, but I agree that it can become a hard habit to break when they're older. I'm curious about the e-reader - does he have access to a variety of books on it, or are there specific stories he enjoys?
My son usually reads for a bit after his bedtime routine which helps him relax and prepare for sleep. He's only six, so I pick books suitable for his age group, and he has no idea you can purchase more! For now, he's content re-reading the few stories on there, but I know that habit won't last. The e-reader model is one of those kid-friendly versions with a lightweight design and a colour screen. It's sturdy enough to survive toddler throws and drops (which is very important!), and it certainly helped bridge the transition from being read to, to self-reading. I think it's a good middle ground for us because it still promotes reading as an enjoyable bedtime activity.

It's wonderful to see how the e-reader has helped your little one settle into a peaceful sleep. Do you find that he reads himself to sleep now or enjoys reading just before bed?

My son loves being read to, but I agree that it can become a hard habit to break when they're older. I'm curious about the e-reader - does he have access to a variety of books on it, or are there specific stories he enjoys?
Yes, the e-reader has been a great investment! He reads a variety of stories on it and, funnily enough, has taken a shine to Shakespeare's sonnets - who knew they could be so captivating for a seven-year-old?

I think the key is finding content that they genuinely enjoy and can personally connect with. Of course, we monitor his screen time closely, but it's heartening to witness how reading can become such a comforting ritual for him, almost like a virtual hug before bed. He reads a few chapters or poems, then falls asleep quickly, and the device certainly makes for a smooth transition from playtime to bedtime. It hasn't been an issue with his sleep walking either, so I'm grateful for that!

The e-reader has been a godsend! He has several stories on there, but his favourite is still Harry Potter. He's been obsessing over it and seems to enjoy re-reading the same story - which is great for me too as a parent! I think it really helps him to get engrossed in that world and naturally wind down for the night. He'll often read until he's tired enough to sleep, and then some nights I still have to go in and remind him it's time to rest 😅.

Reactions: mamamia

My son mostly reads himself to sleep these days - which is a relief! But it hasn't always been an easy journey; there was a phase where he'd insist on me reclining next to him until he fell asleep, which meant I barely moved a muscle for weeks!

The e-reader his father and I chose is a Amazon Kindle Fire - a decent, affordable option with a colorful display that's not too tempting to use in the night. It worked well because it felt like a treat, being a new gadget, but wasn't so distracting with its limited apps. We loaded it with his favorite books - the Harry Potter series kept him occupied for many nights!

I do think there's an ideal age to introduce such devices - probably around seven or eight years old when they're more responsible and can grasp the intricacies of handling gadgets carefully. But every child is different; some parents might feel comfortable letting their younger toddlers use them earlier with supervision. It worked out well for us, mainly because he saw it as a special privilege and didn't associate it with daytime playtime fun.

The e-reader has been a godsend; I'm quite proud of my little bibliophile! He's taken well to independent reading with the device and yes, he reads himself to sleep now - which is a peaceful win for everyone. 🙂 He has access to a variety of books on it - some educational ones I've downloaded, plus a few stories tailored to his current interests. Naruto, of course, remains a firm favourite, and that's okay too!

That's wonderful! My little one loves her storybooks too, but I've never thought of an e-reader as a solution! It's good to hear that it worked well for your child. Might have to introduce one slowly and hopefully, it'll help her transition into independent sleeping. Thanks for sharing!
You're welcome! It's definitely a phase most kids go through, so it's good to have some solutions up our sleeves!

That's wonderful! My little one loves her storybooks too, but I've never thought of an e-reader as a solution! It's good to hear that it worked well for your child. Might have to introduce one slowly and hopefully, it'll help her transition into independent sleeping. Thanks for sharing!
You're welcome! It's certainly worth a try. The e-reader worked like a charm, albeit a lucky discovery rather than a well thought out plan. Kids these days are so tech-savvy that it feels like a natural progression, but I do sometimes wonder if there could be adverse effects further down the line that we aren't aware of yet.

On that note, I'm curious to know if others have introduced similar gadgets and whether their children show more interest in the gadget than the stories on them! Might be an unsolvable issue for many parents here.

You're welcome! Yes, the e-reader has been a godsend; I'm glad it helped your little one too. It's a gradual process but worth a try!

That's awesome to hear! Developing their love for reading at a young age is such a wonderful thing. It certainly fosters independence and allows them to embrace the joy of escaping into different worlds before bed. It's a great way to enhance vocabulary too.

Have you discovered any particular favorites that your child enjoys on his e-reader?
Yes! My son loves the interactive features of the Reader - especially the dictionary function and the option to change font sizes. He's been quite fascinated by the different fonts and often changes them just for fun. As for books, he's currently into comic books and graphic novels, so anything Marvel or DC catches his eye. But on his e-reader, it's all about the Naruto manga series! It's a phase, I'm sure, but it's wonderful to see him excited about reading them himself.

That's awesome to hear! Developing their love for reading at a young age is such a wonderful thing. It certainly fosters independence and allows them to embrace the joy of escaping into different worlds before bed. It's a great way to enhance vocabulary too.

Have you discovered any particular favorites that your child enjoys on his e-reader?
My son has been enjoying the Lego Star Wars book collection on the Kindle app, which is a nice surprise because I didn't expect him to lean towards those since we never really watch the movies together. But kids can be unpredictable like that! We also loaded some Dr. Seuss books and other interactive stories with fun graphics, which he finds engaging. The variety keeps him interested, and the e-reader has definitely made story time more manageable for all of us.

There isn't any specific preference as he has access to an extensive library through the e-reader app. He's into Marvel comics these days, so he reads a lot of Spider-Man and superhero stories. But who knows, his favorites could change in a week! kids' preferences can be rather unpredictable, which makes this whole parenting journey so interesting.

That's wonderful! Instilling a love for reading at a young age is such a wonderful thing to do for a child. Good on you for coming up with an inventive solution by providing him with an e-reader. It looks like it solved the issue while keeping things fresh and exciting!
The joy of discovering different worlds through books - it's an addiction that begins at a young age! The e-reader has definitely kept things exciting; he's been exploring different genres lately. Who knows, perhaps he'll discover a lifelong passion for sci-fi or fantasy?

That's wonderful! Instilling a love for reading at a young age is such a wonderful thing to do for a child. Good on you for coming up with an inventive solution by providing him with an e-reader. It looks like it solved the issue while keeping things fresh and exciting!
The variety of pictures, animations, and interactive games/quizzes on the e-reader keeps him engaged and entertained. And the best part is that it has a timer - I think it helps him learn to manage his time while keeping track of how much bed-reading he can do!

Thank you! I'm just happy that it worked, haha. It was more of a desperation move than anything else, so I'm glad it helped! He's been enjoying books by Roald Dahl on his e-reader, which is great because it exposes him to a variety of stories. You're right about keeping things fresh and exciting - the e-reader has a lot of benefits like that!

• Love
Reactions: eternity
Yes, I'm really glad I thought of it! He's been engrossed with the e-reader and has even started selecting and downloading books on his own now. It's become a really helpful tool, especially since he gets to choose what he reads next and it feels like less of a chore to him.

We did discuss how some screen time rules are necessary, so he knows that his e-reader isn't an all-access pass to various devices in the house! Having these boundaries keeps the magic alive and gives him something exciting to look forward when he uses it.

For stubborn insomnia, I'd go with an old trick of leaving a glass of wine by the bed. If that doesn't work, then multiple glasses will definitely put anyone to sleep.
Drinking alcohol isn't really advisable for the delicate sleep of young children, but it's good to know what your go-to solutions are for extreme cases of insomnia, especially with such a fun twist! In general, giving children any form of electronic gadgets should be approached with caution and certainly won't work for toddlers. They are captivating, so it might be better to introduce them at an older age when the bedtime routine needs refreshing.

As for my experience with my kids, they seem to outgrow the 'one more story' phase after some time, only to enter a new phase of demanding multiple stories every night! It's certainly tiring but also heartwarming that they enjoy being close and spending time with their old mom. I make sure to cherish these moments and sneak in a bit of cuddle time, knowing all too well how quickly they'll grow up and want nothing to do with me.

I keep the lighting low around bedtime and rely heavily on visuals as a distraction technique. Projecting a constellation onto the ceiling helps direct their attention upwards, which somehow encourages them to lie down and stare while listening to soothing classical music in the background. It's amazing how this celestial spectacle calms them down and induces a peaceful slumber, especially on those fussy nights.
That's an imaginative approach with the star projector! Creating an ethereal atmosphere with gentle visuals and soothing sounds certainly helps ease their curious minds towards sleep. It's great how you're keeping things elevated and dreamy.

I keep the lighting low around bedtime and rely heavily on visuals as a distraction technique. Projecting a constellation onto the ceiling helps direct their attention upwards, which somehow encourages them to lie down and stare while listening to soothing classical music in the background. It's amazing how this celestial spectacle calms them down and induces a peaceful slumber, especially on those fussy nights.
The stargazing idea sounds lovely! Visual stimulation can be very captivating for little ones. Projecting constellations is an excellent way to encourage some stillness and peace while also educating them about the night sky. Classical music to go along is a soothing touch too. What a dreamy way to fall asleep under the 'stars'!

That's an excellent idea with the star projection! Creating a dreamy atmosphere with visual treats like the constellation projection is a lovely way to encourage peace and wonderment. Classical music is a great accompaniment too - it has a comforting effect and exudes a sense of elegance that can help ease tensions.

That's such a clever idea to have a celestial theme going on! Projecting the stars and galaxies onto the ceiling must create a captivating atmosphere that takes their mind off the day's events. Classical music is a wonderful touch too - it's relaxing and elegant.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu