• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nurturing Nights

My kid has grown used to me reading storybooks to him when he was younger, which unfortunately became a crutch that resulted in many nights of disrupted sleep as he grew older. He's now an avid reader himself, so I got him e-reader recently and that worked wonderfully. No more whining for one more book each night and his sleep has improved.
That's awesome! Introducing the e-reader as a replacement for the bedtime story routine is an excellent idea! It's amazing how it has helped your son to become more self-sufficient and improved his sleep patterns.

I'm curious to know: what kind of e-reader did you get him? And do you think it would work as well with younger toddlers, or are they too young for such a device?

My kid has grown used to me reading storybooks to him when he was younger, which unfortunately became a crutch that resulted in many nights of disrupted sleep as he grew older. He's now an avid reader himself, so I got him e-reader recently and that worked wonderfully. No more whining for one more book each night and his sleep has improved.
It's wonderful to see how the e-reader has helped your little one settle into a peaceful sleep. Do you find that he reads himself to sleep now or enjoys reading just before bed?

My son loves being read to, but I agree that it can become a hard habit to break when they're older. I'm curious about the e-reader - does he have access to a variety of books on it, or are there specific stories he enjoys?

That's wonderful! My little one loves her storybooks too, but I've never thought of an e-reader as a solution! It's good to hear that it worked well for your child. Might have to introduce one slowly and hopefully, it'll help her transition into independent sleeping. Thanks for sharing!

That's awesome to hear! Developing their love for reading at a young age is such a wonderful thing. It certainly fosters independence and allows them to embrace the joy of escaping into different worlds before bed. It's a great way to enhance vocabulary too.

Have you discovered any particular favorites that your child enjoys on his e-reader?

That's wonderful! Instilling a love for reading at a young age is such a wonderful thing to do for a child. Good on you for coming up with an inventive solution by providing him with an e-reader. It looks like it solved the issue while keeping things fresh and exciting!

Having a consistent bedtime routine has been a lifesaver for us. We start with a warm bath, followed by a massage with lavender lotion, which helps relax my daughter. Then it's off to her room for a story - right now, she's loving The Very Hungry Caterpillar. We listen to some calm music, and I let her pick out three stuffed toys to sleep with tonight. It's adorable how she's developed her own little routine of kissing each toy goodnight before snuggling down.

Most nights she sleeps soundly, but there are always those nights where she has trouble settling. On those evenings, I've found that rocking her in the nursery chair helps, or sometimes a quick walk around the block gets her eyes heavy again. And for those really fussy nights, I have a secret weapon: a homemade herbal sleep spray with lavender and chamomile that I spritz on her pillow; it seems to help her calm down and fall asleep.

What are some of your go-to methods for those peaceful nights?
For stubborn insomnia, I'd go with an old trick of leaving a glass of wine by the bed. If that doesn't work, then multiple glasses will definitely put anyone to sleep.

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower
Having a consistent bedtime routine has been a lifesaver for us. We start with a warm bath, followed by a massage with lavender lotion, which helps relax my daughter. Then it's off to her room for a story - right now, she's loving The Very Hungry Caterpillar. We listen to some calm music, and I let her pick out three stuffed toys to sleep with tonight. It's adorable how she's developed her own little routine of kissing each toy goodnight before snuggling down.

Most nights she sleeps soundly, but there are always those nights where she has trouble settling. On those evenings, I've found that rocking her in the nursery chair helps, or sometimes a quick walk around the block gets her eyes heavy again. And for those really fussy nights, I have a secret weapon: a homemade herbal sleep spray with lavender and chamomile that I spritz on her pillow; it seems to help her calm down and fall asleep.

I keep the lighting low around bedtime and rely heavily on visuals as a distraction technique. Projecting a constellation onto the ceiling helps direct their attention upwards, which somehow encourages them to lie down and stare while listening to soothing classical music in the background. It's amazing how this celestial spectacle calms them down and induces a peaceful slumber, especially on those fussy nights.

Using a nursery chair for rocking is an excellent idea! My little one loves being carried and rocked, so I'm sure he'd appreciate that. I also like the idea of having a secret weapon like your herbal sleep spray - interesting how something so simple can be so effective.

That's quite an elaborate routine you've got there! Yes, consistent routines definitely help make things easier eventually. My boy responds well to a simple trick: deep pressure touch aka compressing his little body gently with heavy bedding or a weighted blanket. It helps him to relax his active muscles and calm his senses so he can fall asleep faster.

My 6-year old has always been a light sleeper and an early bird, so our bedtime struggles often involve him waking up too early and not being able to go back to sleep. To address this, black-out curtains have been a Godsend; he sleeps soundly till late now. Also, a quiet, relaxing pre-sleep routine with soft classical music in the background helps him stay asleep longer. On days when he wakes up too early, we have introduced a morning activity that he enjoys - preparing overnight oats together in the kitchen. It's a nice, quiet activity that keeps him engaged and doesn't excite him too much right after he wakes up.

On the topic of soothing music, I'm curious if any mummies here have recommendations for calm classical pieces that help their little ones sleep? I'm also on the lookout for instrumental music that creates a peaceful ambiance.

My son loves the outdoors, so on difficult nights, we've started this new thing where we set up a tent in the living room and 'camp' indoors. It's become our little fun tradition that he now looks forward to. It makes him excited about going to bed because he associates it with this special time. To make it even more enticing, I'll sometimes grab some glow-in-the-dark stickers and stick them around the tent, which he loves. This, paired with a consistent sleep routine, has helped enormously.

For stubborn cases, I resort to monotone storytelling in a boring, drawn-out manner. It's my special talent honed over years of practice - almost guaranteed to put anyone under 10 to sleep, and the quiet snores that follow signify success.

A consistent bedtime routine is what I find works best for creating peaceful nights. After a calming bath, I'd snuggle up next to her and read from her favorite picture books. We also take our time picking out pajamas and brushing teeth together. She loves choosing which stories we read and helping me get everything ready for bed. On especially fussy nights, I dim the lights and play some gentle classical music which seems to help soothe her into a relaxed state.
That's wonderful how you've found a routine that works so well! It's lovely how you involve your little one in the bedtime preparations - it makes it a special bonding time and adds a cute, personal touch to the whole experience.

My go-to for fussier nights is a sensory play activity just before bed, which somehow helps divert their attention from whatever is keeping them awake. Something as simple as a safe, unscented bubble blowing session or a bin of kinetic sand to squeeze and mould can help calm my active toddler. I also keep a rotation of engaging, educational toys in her room, so it adds a surprise element each night. recent favorite has been these glow-in-the-dark stars that we stick up around the room - it's a fun way to foster imagination and end the day with a sense of wonder.

It's great exchanging these ideas; I'm curious to hear if any other moms have similar tricks up their sleeves!

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
A consistent bedtime routine is what I find works best for creating peaceful nights. After a calming bath, I'd snuggle up next to her and read from her favorite picture books. We also take our time picking out pajamas and brushing teeth together. She loves choosing which stories we read and helping me get everything ready for bed. On especially fussy nights, I dim the lights and play some gentle classical music which seems to help soothe her into a relaxed state.
Music works well for my kid too; it distracts him from his racing thoughts and calms him down enough to fall asleep. We also have a no devices policy an hour before bed, which apparently helps with melatonin production or some such thing I read online. He sleeps like a log after that.

We don't have the same problems with our teenagers as we did when they were younger. But my son swears by having some chill-out time with relaxing music playing in the background, using a blue light filter on his devices and having a comfortable sleep kit consisting of his favorite pillow, sheet spray and eye mask. It really helps him to unwind after studying and prepares him for a good night's rest.
That's great to know! Creating a comforting routine with relaxing elements like music and cozy essentials definitely helps prepare the mind for sleep. I'm sure other parents will find this tip useful as well!

We don't have the same problems with our teenagers as we did when they were younger. But my son swears by having some chill-out time with relaxing music playing in the background, using a blue light filter on his devices and having a comfortable sleep kit consisting of his favorite pillow, sheet spray and eye mask. It really helps him to unwind after studying and prepares him for a good night's rest.
That's helpful to know! Many parents would find value in knowing these tips to share with their older kids. Having a soothing routine beyond toddler years is just as important but often overlooked!

That sounds like a great setup for a relaxing bedtime routine! I love the idea of a sleep kit with personal touches - it's such a simple yet effective way to make an ordinary routine special. The blue light filter is also a clever hack to help them unwind from the stimulation of screen time. Teenagers certainly have some clever solutions up their sleeve! Do you think this helped develop independent sleeping habits too?

That sounds like a wonderful routine he has developed! I must remember to ask my older kids if they'd like a soothing spray for their pillows--it seems like a lovely sensory experience to associate with bedtime. The blue light filter is an excellent idea too; I remember the sleep difficulties that come with having teenagers; it's nice to hear solutions tailored for older kids!

That sounds like a dreamy routine, especially the relaxing music and comfy sleep kit! Many adults could benefit from such a soothing routine to unravel the tensions of the day. It's great that your son has figured out what works best for him to help him settle.

Does anyone else have any secret tips for helping older kids relax? There's so much stimulating technology around; it's easy for them to stay wired and wide-eyed! I'm keen to hear more ideas as my teenager may benefit too.

That FOMO gene can be a real pain! My little one also gets curious and alert at night, especially when she senses activity outside. I've had some success with keeping the curtains slightly open during story time, peeking together at the night sky or the quiet street, and then slowly closing them while explaining that it's time to rest and everyone is heading to bed. It's a gentle reminder that it's okay to sleep and everyone else is doing the same.
That's a clever way to use the environment as a visual cue for bedtime! I like how you incorporate the outside world into your routine and create a sense of peace and normalcy.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu