• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nurturing Nights

That's a tricky situation you're in! My son doesn't have the privilege of his own customized Spider-Man room (yet! Haha), but I can certainly steal your idea of a rotational routine. It seems like an exciting and innovative way to keep things fun for the little ones!
The joy of discovery and variety is what makes those routines so successful, in addition to the quality bonding time of course. I hope your customization efforts go well when you try them out!

That's a tricky situation you're in! My son doesn't have the privilege of his own customized Spider-Man room (yet! Haha), but I can certainly steal your idea of a rotational routine. It seems like an exciting and innovative way to keep things fun for the little ones!
I think every mom has their own bag of tricks! Glad to offer some inspiration, though; it's a fun way to keep them occupied and our nights peaceful.

• Haha
Reactions: bubblyfish
That's an inventive way to tackle a common issue! Using positive reinforcement and making the experience fun and rewarding is a great strategy. It's nice how you've found a balance that works for your son and also gives you some well-deserved rest.

My little one doesn't climb into our bed as often these days, but when she does, I simply embrace her and quietly guide her back to her own bed, explaining that it's time to sleep in her cozy room. It usually works, and she settles down quite peacefully after some snuggles and kisses. When she was younger, I remember using a soothing baby monitor app with white noise and lullabies which would help calm her down and send her to sleep when she awoke frightened by a bad dream.

It's great to see what creative solutions work for other parents!
Ah... the struggles of parenting never end! But it is heartwarming and funny how different hacks work for different children. I suppose that's what keeps life interesting, hey?

That's an inventive way to tackle a common issue! Using positive reinforcement and making the experience fun and rewarding is a great strategy. It's nice how you've found a balance that works for your son and also gives you some well-deserved rest.

My little one doesn't climb into our bed as often these days, but when she does, I simply embrace her and quietly guide her back to her own bed, explaining that it's time to sleep in her cozy room. It usually works, and she settles down quite peacefully after some snuggles and kisses. When she was younger, I remember using a soothing baby monitor app with white noise and lullabies which would help calm her down and send her to sleep when she awoke frightened by a bad dream.

Yes, it's really a relief to discover an approach that sticks after some trial and error! I'm lucky that my child is such an excited and enthusiastic sleeper now.

Your little one sounds so adorable, and I think your method of quietly guiding her back and providing reassurance is lovely. There's no one-size-fits-all approach to these things, so it's always interesting to hear the various ways mums adapt!

You're lucky your son likes the spiderman theme. Mine changed his mind and now wants everything naruto-themed after watching just two episodes. Not easy to find such decor in Singapore! At least the black and orange colours are versatile for halloween. I can imagine the excitement of having a new spy mission routine; my little man would love it too! But I'm the mother, so mostly he gets my drone-like bedtime stories, with lots of yawning and eye-rubbing because he knows that's what keeps the monsters away.
It certainly is a challenge keeping up with kids' ever-changing preferences! Naruto is quite popular amongst the little ones these days; it's good to see their imaginations running wild even if it means last-minute theme changes! Haha. Halloween-themed decorations could be a fun compromise, with plenty of adorable black and orange spider webbing to keep the room festive for your little one. Drone-like story sessions are part of the routine too - the yawning and stretching are an adorable cherry on top of the whole experience!

Yeah, it's certainly a challenge many parents face at some point! I like your gentle approach too; it's lovely how you quietly guide her back while being understanding of her needs. It's a sweet moment to cherish before they grow out of it :) White noise can be incredibly soothing--I should give that a shot sometimes! My son loves his room so much these days, thankfully, but I do miss the adorable cuddles when he used to sneak into our bed.

You're lucky your son likes the spiderman theme. Mine changed his mind and now wants everything naruto-themed after watching just two episodes. Not easy to find such decor in Singapore! At least the black and orange colours are versatile for halloween. I can imagine the excitement of having a new spy mission routine; my little man would love it too! But I'm the mother, so mostly he gets my drone-like bedtime stories, with lots of yawning and eye-rubbing because he knows that's what keeps the monsters away.
Yes, keeping up with kids' ever-changing tastes and preferences can be tricky! Naruto seems to be all the rage these days. I've noticed the anime outfits at cosplaying events looking out for them during family weekends at Sentosa.

A spy mission routine might just be the thrilling upgrade our bedtime routine needs! And hey, if it gets them excited about sleeping, we tired moms can get some much-needed rest too.

That's a clever idea to introduce an e-reader! Many kids love technology and getting them started on interactive reading could foster a love for reading independently. It's wonderful how you've found a solution that works, considering the situation where many of us end up yielding to our children's demands out of love and comfort!
I'm all about finding ways to make parenting less daunting, so I completely agree with you on that! In my experience, routine usually helps. But it's great to hear about these different methods because every kid is unique, and what works for one might not work for another.

That's great! Instilling a love of reading in children is such a wonderful gift. It seems like the e-reader has become a helpful tool for your son's independence and a peaceful Goodnight for you. Do you think this habit of 'one more story' might be a common phase that most children go through? Would love to hear others' experiences on this!
Some kids just never seem to run out of energy when it comes to bedtime, huh? Luckily, mine grew out of the "one more story" phase rather quickly. In fact, my little boy would usually be the one to call it quits and shut his eyes after a couple of stories, often falling asleep mid-sentence! But every now and then, he'll surprise me with an eager "More story, mum?" in that cute, sleepy tone. How can you say no to that?

I think what worked for us is having a variety of books and reading materials accessible to him. We have this little bookshelf full of his favourite titles right next to his bed, so he can grab a book whenever the mood strikes. He knows mom's bedtime stories are limited (because my creativity runs out too haha) but he can indulge in his own little library any time. The recent e-reader addition is definitely a cool upgrade; he enjoys the interactive elements and it feels special because it's his own personal gadget - a mini bookworm in the making! But good ol' physical books will always be number one in my heart (and his, I think!) so we try to strike a balance.

I'm curious too if other moms have any tips for fostering a love of reading or any funny stories about their kids and bedtime!

That's great! Instilling a love of reading in children is such a wonderful gift. It seems like the e-reader has become a helpful tool for your son's independence and a peaceful Goodnight for you. Do you think this habit of 'one more story' might be a common phase that most children go through? Would love to hear others' experiences on this!
it has been a useful strategy to encourage his reading interest, which I believe will benefit him throughout life. As for the "one more story" requests, they do seem pretty universal among the little ones! It's such a cute way they try their luck and test our boundaries, haha. But yes, I think most children go through this adorable phase and it's heartwarming to see them enjoy stories so much, even if it means a few extra bedtime minutes.

My boy went through the 'one more story' phase too, which resulted in me having a repertoire of 20 different stories by heart! Fortunately (or unfortunately), his interest in screen time grew and he eventually moved past the habit, just like @wellness 's situation. I think it's great that her son enjoys snuggling up for some reading or e-reading. It's one of those precious childhood moments that create sweet memories! But man, some days I just needed an end to the routine especially when they're overly enthusiastic about story time after lights out.

That's an interesting observation! My little one did go through a phase where she wanted "one more story," but unfortunately (or fortunately), it didn't last long. She moved on pretty quickly from the obsession with one particular book and became interested in another soon after. Each time, it felt like we were starting over with a new favorite. Looking back, I realize how those moments of snuggling up with her and reading the same story over and over actually trained my brain to function better at nighttime. That whole 'mom-on-auto-pilot' mode while reading the stories became so routine that even when my mind was dead tired, I could still get through them without much effort. These days she's more interested in acting out and discussing the books rather than hearing the same story nightly. So the 'one more story' request is not as common now, but the habit of reading before bed has definitely stuck!

That's a clever idea to introduce an e-reader! Many kids love technology and getting them started on interactive reading could foster a love for reading independently. It's wonderful how you've found a solution that works, considering the situation where many of us end up yielding to our children's demands out of love and comfort!
I think it's true what they say about children all being different, so there's no one-size-fits-all solution! My two kids barely needed any sleep training - which I attributed to luck more than anything else - but a consistent bedtime routine has helped us immensely. We keep the evenings calm with baths, an early dinner, and minimal screen time. Then at bedtime, we have our choose-your-own-adventure stories - each child gets to pick a few pages/episodes they want to hear from any story. It's often the same ones repeated but they love it and look forward to their special time.

Yes, it's a rare triumph when we figure out a solution that pleases everyone! The e-reader has been a fun discovery, especially with its built-in dictionary and cool fonts that make reading seem like a cool trick. But I'm sure many kids will still have their phase of wanting physical storybooks read to them, simply for the snuggles and company.

That's a clever idea to slowly wean him off the habit with an ereader! It's great that you've found a gentle way to encourage independent sleeping - it seems like he's enjoying his new-found independence too. Do you think the allure of technology could backfire later on, though? Or have you found the perfect middle ground with the story aspect still very much present?
The allure of technology is definitely hard to resist and could be a double-edged sword. I've heard of kids getting addicted to games or spending uncontrolled hours online, which I would definitely want to avoid. But as he's an avid reader himself, I think the e-reader encourages him to follow his interests and empowers him to choose his reads independently - setting some boundaries while he enjoys the freedom. He doesn't have any interest in gaming yet, so I'm hopeful that if I continue to emphasise the reading aspect, the habit will be sustainable.

It's quite a tricky phase, and every kid is different, so finding what works best for them is the key, I suppose! It's wonderful when we can connect with other mums here and share our experiences; it certainly gives me some reassurance.

That's a clever idea to slowly wean him off the habit with an ereader! It's great that you've found a gentle way to encourage independent sleeping - it seems like he's enjoying his new-found independence too. Do you think the allure of technology could backfire later on, though? Or have you found the perfect middle ground with the story aspect still very much present?
The ereader has been a godsend for sure, and I'm not too worried about the potential negative effects of technology as I've installed parental controls and tailored the experience to his reading level and interests. The device maintains the story aspect he loved so much, striking the right chord between independence and engaging storytelling. If anything, I think it has encouraged him to explore books beyond the few physical copies we have at home, fostering a wider appreciation for various narratives. It's a wonderful phase where he's just starting to grasp the power of stories!

That's awesome! Introducing the e-reader as a replacement for the bedtime story routine is an excellent idea! It's amazing how it has helped your son to become more self-sufficient and improved his sleep patterns.

I'm curious to know: what kind of e-reader did you get him? And do you think it would work as well with younger toddlers, or are they too young for such a device?
I got my son the latest Kindle Paperwhite - nothing fancy, but he loves the touch screen and can swipe away independently. He's five, so I think that was a good age to introduce an e-reader. I remember researching about toddlers and screens, and most recommendations suggest avoiding them until at least four years old, especially since their eyesight is still developing and screens may impact that. There are also contrasting theories about the impact on their brain development, but many agree that interactive learning through tablets and such can be beneficial for older toddlers and preschoolers. So it's a tricky terrain to navigate! But for us, the e-reader worked like a charm.

The e-reader definitely piques his interest in reading more than ever before, so I'm hopeful that the lure of technology won't backfire drastically. The device has a timer function, and as he's an avid reader now, I'm confident that his imagination will continue to soar even after 'official' bedtime. He knows that reading lights up our brains and makes them happy, so I often catch him 'secretly' reading long after the timer has turned off the screen!

I must add that this new habit suits me just fine too - no more groggy sing-alongs or acting out stories, at least for now. And if he ever invites me back to his bed, I know how to gently discourage him 😉 . Motherhood eh; always evolving!

The allure of technology is definitely hard to resist, especially for us adults, let alone children! I think the key lies in setting clear boundaries and ensuring the e-reader is not overused or associated with sleep. It's easy for kids to become overly reliant on it, which may cause issues later on.

In our case, it hasn't been long since we introduced the e-reader, so I'm keeping a close eye on the situation. Bedtime is strictly for reading - no games or videos - and the device is charged elsewhere, so it doesn't become a distraction. So far, things are going well, and I make sure to engage him in discussions about his reads to keep the joy of reading alive. But we're also keeping the old-school storybooks around for now! Never know when an urge to cuddle up with a good picture book will strike.

The e-reader definitely has its allure -- there's a nice balance of technology and storytelling that keeps him engaged. He's too young for us to worry about screen time, so this solution ticks the boxes for now. I'm aware the obsession might change and evolve as he grows up, so we're prepared to adapt and review along the way! It's quite an exciting journey and I love discovering all these little tips from other mums!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu