• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nurturing Nights

Using a nursery chair for rocking is an excellent idea! My little one loves being carried and rocked, so I'm sure he'd appreciate that. I also like the idea of having a secret weapon like your herbal sleep spray - interesting how something so simple can be so effective.
The familiarity and snugness of the chair really helps on those difficult nights. The spray is such a lovely, natural way to help settle; it's amazing how powerful these simple solutions can be!

Using a nursery chair for rocking is an excellent idea! My little one loves being carried and rocked, so I'm sure he'd appreciate that. I also like the idea of having a secret weapon like your herbal sleep spray - interesting how something so simple can be so effective.
My little guy loves his soothing rockers as well! He's always been fascinated by the nursery chair, which makes him settle down instantly. There's just something about the gentle swaying that helps soothe and relax him. And I agree, it's remarkable how these tiny humans can be calmed by such simple methods. It's almost magical!

I agree. Sometimes, it's the simplest solutions that work best. The smell of lavender is incredibly calming; it's amazing how it can help little ones settle down and relax!

That's quite an elaborate routine you've got there! Yes, consistent routines definitely help make things easier eventually. My boy responds well to a simple trick: deep pressure touch aka compressing his little body gently with heavy bedding or a weighted blanket. It helps him to relax his active muscles and calm his senses so he can fall asleep faster.
That's a great technique! I've heard of weighted blankets having a calming effect, though I've not tried them yet. Seems like they might be a worthwhile investment!

That's quite an elaborate routine you've got there! Yes, consistent routines definitely help make things easier eventually. My boy responds well to a simple trick: deep pressure touch aka compressing his little body gently with heavy bedding or a weighted blanket. It helps him to relax his active muscles and calm his senses so he can fall asleep faster.
Weighted blankets seem like a popular and effective solution for helping children settle down. I've heard of their success in calming autism symptoms, so it's interesting how wide-reaching their benefits are! seems like an easy, natural method to try for relaxing fussy children.

My 6-year old has always been a light sleeper and an early bird, so our bedtime struggles often involve him waking up too early and not being able to go back to sleep. To address this, black-out curtains have been a Godsend; he sleeps soundly till late now. Also, a quiet, relaxing pre-sleep routine with soft classical music in the background helps him stay asleep longer. On days when he wakes up too early, we have introduced a morning activity that he enjoys - preparing overnight oats together in the kitchen. It's a nice, quiet activity that keeps him engaged and doesn't excite him too much right after he wakes up.

On the topic of soothing music, I'm curious if any mummies here have recommendations for calm classical pieces that help their little ones sleep? I'm also on the lookout for instrumental music that creates a peaceful ambiance.
My son loves his lullaby playlist consisting entirely of Disney's soothing instrumentals. Think Winnie-the-Pooh and Peter Pan scores especially arranged as background music. The gentle melodies really seem to take him to dreamland, and I'm sure your little one would enjoy them too!

My 6-year old has always been a light sleeper and an early bird, so our bedtime struggles often involve him waking up too early and not being able to go back to sleep. To address this, black-out curtains have been a Godsend; he sleeps soundly till late now. Also, a quiet, relaxing pre-sleep routine with soft classical music in the background helps him stay asleep longer. On days when he wakes up too early, we have introduced a morning activity that he enjoys - preparing overnight oats together in the kitchen. It's a nice, quiet activity that keeps him engaged and doesn't excite him too much right after he wakes up.

On the topic of soothing music, I'm curious if any mummies here have recommendations for calm classical pieces that help their little ones sleep? I'm also on the lookout for instrumental music that creates a peaceful ambiance.
My personal favorite is Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 21 -- angelic! Also, Mozart's Night Music is aptly named and a wonderful piece your kid would love because it's written especially for a small orchestra of strings, which creates a soft and soothing sound.

I second the recommendation for blackout curtains; they're a worthy investment! My son also enjoys listening to classical music, and this piece by Beethoven, called " Moonlight Sonata," is his current favorite. It's amazing how quickly it calms him down and prepares him for slumber. He also loves the classical gas compositions by Mason Williams. The melody is captivating yet relaxing.

My son loves the outdoors, so on difficult nights, we've started this new thing where we set up a tent in the living room and 'camp' indoors. It's become our little fun tradition that he now looks forward to. It makes him excited about going to bed because he associates it with this special time. To make it even more enticing, I'll sometimes grab some glow-in-the-dark stickers and stick them around the tent, which he loves. This, paired with a consistent sleep routine, has helped enormously.
That's a super creative way to make bedtime fun! Setting up a different little 'adventure' for your son each time definitely requires some effort and creativity. I'm sure the indoor camping trick will be a hit among the kids, a nice novel idea to look forward every now and then.

My son loves the outdoors, so on difficult nights, we've started this new thing where we set up a tent in the living room and 'camp' indoors. It's become our little fun tradition that he now looks forward to. It makes him excited about going to bed because he associates it with this special time. To make it even more enticing, I'll sometimes grab some glow-in-the-dark stickers and stick them around the tent, which he loves. This, paired with a consistent sleep routine, has helped enormously.
That's quite the creative solution you've found! Indoors camping must be such a fun experience for him! It's wonderful how each child has their own things that work like a charm. Mine enjoys looking at the night sky so stargazing is our go-to on especially difficult nights. The peacefulness of it all seems to rub off on him, and before long he's calm and sleepy. And when he's really wound up, I'd whip out the flashlight and play that game where you shine the beam onto the ceiling, creating constellations - seems like a simple yet effective trick to lull him to sleep.

That's such a lovely and creative idea! I'm sure the thrill of 'camping' helps to wear your son out too! The energy and excitement needed to put up a fight against sleep will certainly be drained by this exciting routine! Setting up an enticing and fun sleep environment definitely helps to make bedtime easier for everyone.

For stubborn cases, I resort to monotone storytelling in a boring, drawn-out manner. It's my special talent honed over years of practice - almost guaranteed to put anyone under 10 to sleep, and the quiet snores that follow signify success.
That's quite the skill you have there! Monotonous tasks like that can be unexpectedly tiring for parents, so kudos to you for enduring it with grace. I've luckily never had to resort to anything so extreme, but I'll keep your trick in mind - sounds effective!

For stubborn cases, I resort to monotone storytelling in a boring, drawn-out manner. It's my special talent honed over years of practice - almost guaranteed to put anyone under 10 to sleep, and the quiet snores that follow signify success.
Hah! That's a clever and creative trick! A monotonous voice would probably put me to sleep too.

That's so funny! Kids are fascinating in their responsiveness to certain tactics. Some parents I know employ a boring story too, but about the most mundane topics they can think of. seems like an interesting method, though it might take some acting skills!

That sounds like an interesting approach! I wonder if adding some funny voices and sound effects might make it even more captivating for the little ones. After all, kids love all things silly! Monotony with a twist, perhaps?

That's wonderful how you've found a routine that works so well! It's lovely how you involve your little one in the bedtime preparations - it makes it a special bonding time and adds a cute, personal touch to the whole experience.

My go-to for fussier nights is a sensory play activity just before bed, which somehow helps divert their attention from whatever is keeping them awake. Something as simple as a safe, unscented bubble blowing session or a bin of kinetic sand to squeeze and mould can help calm my active toddler. I also keep a rotation of engaging, educational toys in her room, so it adds a surprise element each night. recent favorite has been these glow-in-the-dark stars that we stick up around the room - it's a fun way to foster imagination and end the day with a sense of wonder.

It's great exchanging these ideas; I'm curious to hear if any other moms have similar tricks up their sleeves!
The sensory play idea is an interesting one! I might give that a shot - anything to keep her occupied without overstimulating, ha. Yes it’s neat how we can all share these little tips and make life easier for each other.

That's wonderful how you've found a routine that works so well! It's lovely how you involve your little one in the bedtime preparations - it makes it a special bonding time and adds a cute, personal touch to the whole experience.

My go-to for fussier nights is a sensory play activity just before bed, which somehow helps divert their attention from whatever is keeping them awake. Something as simple as a safe, unscented bubble blowing session or a bin of kinetic sand to squeeze and mould can help calm my active toddler. I also keep a rotation of engaging, educational toys in her room, so it adds a surprise element each night. recent favorite has been these glow-in-the-dark stars that we stick up around the room - it's a fun way to foster imagination and end the day with a sense of wonder.

It's great exchanging these ideas; I'm curious to hear if any other moms have similar tricks up their sleeves!
The joy is hearing about everyone's unique ways to encourage a good night's rest! It's fascinating how each method is so different but equally successful - a real testament to the beauty of variety in parenting styles.

The sensory play idea is fantastic! Yes, it's amazing how creative we become just to get some shuteye haha. I haven't tried the bubble and sand idea but will do so tonight - looks like fun and a good way to wear my active tot out too!

Music works well for my kid too; it distracts him from his racing thoughts and calms him down enough to fall asleep. We also have a no devices policy an hour before bed, which apparently helps with melatonin production or some such thing I read online. He sleeps like a log after that.
That's an excellent point about the no-screen time! It's incredible how something so simple can make a huge difference. Kids nowadays are so exposed to technology; it's essential to create healthy boundaries.

That's helpful to know! Many parents would find value in knowing these tips to share with their older kids. Having a soothing routine beyond toddler years is just as important but often overlooked!
Yes, It's easy to overlook the needs of older children as they grow and become more independent, but a good night's rest is equally important for them too. Establishing a healthy sleep routine with calming activities can help them unwind and prepare for a productive day ahead. It's wonderful to share these strategies and see what works best for others.

• Haha
Reactions: joyful

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu