• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nurturing Nights

That sounds like a great setup for a relaxing bedtime routine! I love the idea of a sleep kit with personal touches - it's such a simple yet effective way to make an ordinary routine special. The blue light filter is also a clever hack to help them unwind from the stimulation of screen time. Teenagers certainly have some clever solutions up their sleeve! Do you think this helped develop independent sleeping habits too?
You bet! My son's always been quite independent, and these rituals somehow reassuringly helped him transition into being a big kid with his own quirky routines. He enjoyed the little things that made him feel relaxed and prepared for bed, and I think it gave him a sense of control and confidence too. Kids crave ritual and predictability, and these small habits helped ease the stress of winding down after a long day.

That sounds like a great setup for a relaxing bedtime routine! I love the idea of a sleep kit with personal touches - it's such a simple yet effective way to make an ordinary routine special. The blue light filter is also a clever hack to help them unwind from the stimulation of screen time. Teenagers certainly have some clever solutions up their sleeve! Do you think this helped develop independent sleeping habits too?
You're right! It does help foster independence as well! Because the routine helps my son relax and wind down, he doesn't depend on others for entertainment or assistance when getting ready for bed. He looks forward to his "chill-out time," which motivates him to get ready for bed by himself. When done correctly, the rituals we create for our kids can have such wonderful effects! It's a great habit to establish early too, so they grow up knowing what works best for them.

You're right; it's a wonderful initiative to encourage independence with simple tricks like these. My son likes the routine we've established because it makes him feel mature - like he's preparing himself for a good night's rest like an adult would. I'm sure other teenagers could benefit from a tailored routine too, and it might even motivate them to look forward to their bedtime rituals!

Having that special winding-down period seems to reassure him that sleep is approaching, and he seems content with his little bits of luxury each night. And if he ever has trouble sleeping, he has his calming tactics at the ready. It's a wonderful skill to develop, especially for those tricky teenage years!

That sounds like a wonderful routine he has developed! I must remember to ask my older kids if they'd like a soothing spray for their pillows--it seems like a lovely sensory experience to associate with bedtime. The blue light filter is an excellent idea too; I remember the sleep difficulties that come with having teenagers; it's nice to hear solutions tailored for older kids!
The pillow spray is such a simple but luxurious touch and definitely sets the mood for relaxing. You're right about the difficulties of having teens; hopefully, these little tricks help them develop resilient sleep habits!

That sounds like a wonderful routine he has developed! I must remember to ask my older kids if they'd like a soothing spray for their pillows--it seems like a lovely sensory experience to associate with bedtime. The blue light filter is an excellent idea too; I remember the sleep difficulties that come with having teenagers; it's nice to hear solutions tailored for older kids!
I agree, it's fantastic to have a natural, calm method to help teens relax. So often we focus on the challenges of sleepless toddlers that it's helpful to be reminded of the solutions tailored for older kids. It's a great opportunity to empower them with choices that can help them sleep well too! The pillow spray is an easy, enjoyable addition that makes their space smell lovely and feels very indulgent.

It certainly is a great share; many parents will find useful tips they can implement right away. It's amazing how something as simple as scented spray and some gadgets can encourage better sleeping habits!

That sounds like a dreamy routine, especially the relaxing music and comfy sleep kit! Many adults could benefit from such a soothing routine to unravel the tensions of the day. It's great that your son has figured out what works best for him to help him settle.

Does anyone else have any secret tips for helping older kids relax? There's so much stimulating technology around; it's easy for them to stay wired and wide-eyed! I'm keen to hear more ideas as my teenager may benefit too.
You're right about the abundance of stimulating technology making it harder for teens to settle down at night. I recall those restless nights myself!

Apart from the above suggestions, a few other users have mentioned the effectiveness of white noise or calming sounds apps for masking distracting noises and helping them zone out. Some also spoke of the benefits of yoga or meditation, which teach children valuable techniques to calm their mind and relax their body. Apparently, the deep breathing exercises help them through sleep problems.

Additionally, ensuring a cool, dark room with the right bedding can make a world of difference. A comfortable mattress, a snuggly duvet, and some cozy PJs can make winding down so much more inviting! Some users also mentioned the occasional use of a weighted blanket for deep pressure touch which allegedly increases serenity and improves sleep.

Keeping consistent bedtime hours and avoiding caffeine is also key to helping teens develop good sleep hygiene. Avoiding screens and the blue light, as many have mentioned, is another vital aspect of preparing for rest.

It's encouraging to see so many strategies that we can encourage our older children to try! With their input, it can be an enjoyable activity to help them create a soothing bedtime routine they look forward to.

That's a clever way to use the environment as a visual cue for bedtime! I like how you incorporate the outside world into your routine and create a sense of peace and normalcy.
Nature's secrets are soothing when it comes to lulling one to sleep. The green view and fresh breeze can be a welcome distraction from screens!

That's a clever way to use the environment as a visual cue for bedtime! I like how you incorporate the outside world into your routine and create a sense of peace and normalcy.
I think it's fantastic how each family has developed unique ways to tackle the bedtime struggle - the consistency and personal touches are so important!

That's heartening to hear. Many a time, I've caught my kid eavesdropping on conversations outside or peering through the window at passing cars, missing out on precious sleep. I like your idea of embracing the night and using it as a reminder that bedtime isn't so bad!
it's fascinating how they pick up on little details - the creaking floorboards, a nearby barking dog - things we wouldn't think of can really capture their attention! Anything to redirect that curious energy into relaxation is welcome at bedtime.

It's a simple but effective trick, using nature as a reminder that it's time to wind down! It's amazing how well kids can respond to these subtle cues.

The nighttime sky is a wonderful natural wonder to marvel at, a great way to add a touch of the outdoors to relax before bed. One thing that gets my toddler excited about going to bed on time is camping - she loves the idea of sleeping under the stars, which reminds me of your story about looking up at the night sky!

The night sky is a wonderful natural marvel to help calm and redirect restless minds. The routines shared here are proof that every family has their own special ways to create peaceful nights. It's fascinating to discover these little traditions!

Oh gosh, thank you! That means a lot. I think as parents we just do our best to keep up our sleeves full of tricks, ha. It's great to see other parents' tactics too - it's such a relief when something new works and buys us some peace! Here's to creative solutions and quiet nights ahead!
It is reassuring to learn new ideas from fellow parents on this platform; it keeps our parenting toolbox ever-growing! Here's a toast to that. :~)

Oh gosh, thank you! That means a lot. I think as parents we just do our best to keep up our sleeves full of tricks, ha. It's great to see other parents' tactics too - it's such a relief when something new works and buys us some peace! Here's to creative solutions and quiet nights ahead!
parents like you are worth their weight in gold! It's encouraging to discover these little hacks that make all the difference. Cheers to peaceful evenings! 😊

it keeps our nights interesting, and I'm glad it works for him!
It's wonderful to witness the little ways we figure out to keep our children engaged with a bedtime routine - it often makes all the difference in their overall well-being. You deserve credit for your inventive solutions that make parenting a tad more enjoyable!

it keeps our nights interesting, and I'm glad it works for him!
It's wonderful how creative you've been in designing routines that work for your son's personality. Many parents face the challenge of keeping things fresh and exciting, so kudos to you! Your approach is a lovely reminder that variety is a fun way to keep kids engaged and happy.

It is a tricky balance to encourage independent sleeping, but it sounds like you've found a great way to encourage him to look forward to his alone time. The spy mission is fun and sometimes, we even throw in a mini-camping scenario where we pretend to be on a night adventure outdoors, using flashlights to find "constellations" (aka sticky stars on the ceiling).
You're right; it can be a real challenge getting them to look forward to solo bedtime routines! Camping scenarios sound like a fantastic idea to liven up their alone time. Flashlight adventures under the pretend stars could surely leave a delightful impression of bedtime as a special, anticipated occasion. I'm sure other moms would love this idea!

Each child is so different! Sternness might work on some, but my lively tot needs an incentive. Your gentle encouragement sounds like a fun adventure she'd enjoy though - some kids just thrive with positive reinforcement!
You're spot on about the need to incentivize certain personalities. Positive reinforcement goes a long way for my little one too; I love how your creative approach encourages their independence, leaving them with fond memories of bedtime.

The Spy Mission is a real hoot, complete with gadgets and code names! Haha! It's incredible how adding an element of playfulness can make such a difference. Enjoy crafting your rotations!
a little bit of fun goes a long way in keeping things interesting for the little ones! It's delightful to see their imaginations run wild.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu