• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Nurturing Nights

That FOMO gene can be a real pain! My little one also gets curious and alert at night, especially when she senses activity outside. I've had some success with keeping the curtains slightly open during story time, peeking together at the night sky or the quiet street, and then slowly closing them while explaining that it's time to rest and everyone is heading to bed. It's a gentle reminder that it's okay to sleep and everyone else is doing the same.
That's heartening to hear. Many a time, I've caught my kid eavesdropping on conversations outside or peering through the window at passing cars, missing out on precious sleep. I like your idea of embracing the night and using it as a reminder that bedtime isn't so bad!

That's a thoughtful and creative approach you've developed! Rotational routines sound like fun, giving your son the variety he needs while keeping things exciting. Well done!
Oh gosh, thank you! That means a lot. I think as parents we just do our best to keep up our sleeves full of tricks, ha. It's great to see other parents' tactics too - it's such a relief when something new works and buys us some peace! Here's to creative solutions and quiet nights ahead!

That's a clever idea to make bedtime fun and rewarding! My son loves the variety too and having different routines keeps things exciting. I might add some of your ideas into our rotation - the Spy Mission sounds especially entertaining!
It is a tricky balance to encourage independent sleeping, but it sounds like you've found a great way to encourage him to look forward to his alone time. The spy mission is fun and sometimes, we even throw in a mini-camping scenario where we pretend to be on a night adventure outdoors, using flashlights to find "constellations" (aka sticky stars on the ceiling).

That's a clever way to utilize your son's enthusiasm and energy! A little creativity goes a long way, doesn't it? My own strategy involves a lot of stern talking and threats, which somehow convinces my teen to stay put.
Each child is so different! Sternness might work on some, but my lively tot needs an incentive. Your gentle encouragement sounds like a fun adventure she'd enjoy though - some kids just thrive with positive reinforcement!

That's a clever idea to make bedtime fun and rewarding! My son loves the variety too and having different routines keeps things exciting. I might add some of your ideas into our rotation - the Spy Mission sounds especially entertaining!
The Spy Mission is a real hoot, complete with gadgets and code names! Haha! It's incredible how adding an element of playfulness can make such a difference. Enjoy crafting your rotations!

You're right; it's wonderful to see our little ones embrace their independence, and those special rituals help them feel confident in their big-kid roles. The Spy Mission is a blast; hope your son enjoys it too!

That's a clever way to utilize your son's enthusiasm and energy! A little creativity goes a long way, doesn't it? My own strategy involves a lot of stern talking and threats, which somehow convinces my teen to stay put.
it feels good to share these ideas and discover different approaches that work for others too! Stern talks and threats seem like the last resort but I'm glad they work for you - teenage years can certainly be tricky!

Yeah, my boy had an energetic personality too. Keeping him engaged and occupied with the opposite of screen time helped me buy some peace and quiet. These days he's more into his superhero imaginary play and that helps keep his adrenaline in check at night.

Oh dear! Threats might work in the short run but I'm sure your teen wouldn't appreciate them in the long run. My older teen would just roll his eyes at me and mumble something under his breath about old folks being out of touch!

Threats seem to work less with each passing year, unfortunately! At least not without increasing intensity, which I'm not fond of. Your son's energy is better channeled into something more fun - and secretly educational too! Those creative routines might tire him out more effectively than any lectures.

That's a clever trick to keep things exciting with the rotation of special routines! My go-to tactic used to be sing goodnight songs, but I appreciate how your creative approach really empowers your son and encourages him to look forward to bedtime. It's great to see how different tactics work for different kids!
It's definitely a challenge to come up with new and exciting strategies! Your song nights sound sweet--can't say mine would respond well to that these days, though. ;-) Have you considered trying some of the rotation routines? They're a lot more fun, and your little one might appreciate some variety too!

That's a clever trick to keep things exciting with the rotation of special routines! My go-to tactic used to be sing goodnight songs, but I appreciate how your creative approach really empowers your son and encourages him to look forward to bedtime. It's great to see how different tactics work for different kids!
every child is unique and what works for one might not work for another! That's the fun and challenge of parenting. Do you find that your strategy changes as they grow older?

Oh, that's a cute and creative way to tackle the issue! Luckily, my kid never really had separation anxiety, so I just implemented an early an unwavering 'no entrance' policy once he could understand it. I'm a mean mom like that. But I can imagine the challenges other moms face and definitely applaud your ingenuity!
every child is unique, and what works for one might not work for another! It's great to have a repertoire of strategies up our sleeves as moms, isn't it?

Oh, that's a cute and creative way to tackle the issue! Luckily, my kid never really had separation anxiety, so I just implemented an early an unwavering 'no entrance' policy once he could understand it. I'm a mean mom like that. But I can imagine the challenges other moms face and definitely applaud your ingenuity!
Some children just sleep so peacefully on their own from the start. Lucky you! It's quite heartwarming to see parents going the extra mile with such thoughtful strategies, though.

There's no one-size-fits-all approach to parenting for sure! It sounds like you have a good grip on what works best for your child. Some might call your straightforward method fortunate too, as it saves time and energy.

Your strict policy has its advantages! Some kids are naturally more independent, but for those who aren't, it's certainly a challenge many of us have faced. It's heartening to see how different methods work for different situations.

Yes, every child is different! While some may cruise through sleep training effortlessly, others need more TLC and creative solutions. Your no-nonsense approach is also admirable - setting clear expectations is essential, especially when they're old enough to understand!

That's a tricky situation you're in! My son doesn't have the privilege of his own customized Spider-Man room (yet! Haha), but I can certainly steal your idea of a rotational routine. It seems like an exciting and innovative way to keep things fun for the little ones!
Yeah, the decor certainly helps with the excitement level, especially for the young ones who are easy to impress! The rotation keeps the thrill factor up too. Hope it works out for you!

That's a tricky situation you're in! My son doesn't have the privilege of his own customized Spider-Man room (yet! Haha), but I can certainly steal your idea of a rotational routine. It seems like an exciting and innovative way to keep things fun for the little ones!
Yes, the rotational routine has been such a fun discovery! It's amazing how something so simple yet thoughtful can keep the little ones motivated and engaged. My son actually looks forward to his alone time now, which gives me precious me-time too. Customizing the room definitely adds a special touch - it's like creating an immersive experience he looks forward to every night. Who knows, with your creativity, you might just come up with an even cooler customized theme!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu