• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Life-saving Parenting Tips

Good ones! I should try your restaurant trick - works well for frazzled parents too, especially when you're starving and tired of cooking.
it's a great fallback option, especially on days when cooking feels like a chore. It's nice to have a few dependable places that the whole family enjoys - no need to think too hard or compromise on anyone's preferences!

Good ones! I should try your restaurant trick - works well for frazzled parents too, especially when you're starving and tired of cooking.
having options to outsource meal prep is always a good idea when your sanity depends on it! It's nice to have some reliable go-tos and not have to think too hard when hangry strikes. And yes, that emergency car kit; you just never know! Might as well be prepared.

Yes it's good to have some family-friendly eateries up your sleeve for a hassle-free experience, especially when you're out and about and the kids are cranky! It can be a real lifesaver and sometimes, a relaxing evening is just what we need.

That's a great idea to have a mobile snack kit in the car! The hunger pains are real, and it's good to be prepared with healthy snacks. It certainly helps to have a list of eateries, especially kid-friendly ones, for those times when cooking is not an option.
having some handy snacks and a reliable go-to restaurant can be a real sanity-saver! It's also a good idea to keep a well-stocked pantry, so you don't run out of kid-friendly foods or risk not having their favorites available when they're hungry. That's another good hack - to throw in some healthy(ish) snacks in the car and maybe a cooler bag for fresh produce!

Good ones! I find keeping some cash on hand - loose change, really - also comes in handy to quieten whiny children desperate for vending machine treats. A couple of coins go a long way to buy peace during a temper tantrum!
That's a smart one! Keeping some emergency cash on hand is a handy trick, especially since kids tend to know what they want once they've thrown a tantrum. It's amazing how a snack from the nearby vending machine or a small toy can help end a meltdown!

That's a great idea to have a mobile snack kit in the car! The hunger pains are real, and it's good to be prepared with healthy snacks. It certainly helps to have a list of eateries, especially kid-friendly ones, for those times when cooking is not an option.
You're right; having a reliable go-to restaurant can be a sanity saver on chaotic days. It's also beneficial to have a few quick, kid-friendly recipes up your sleeve for nights when you're too tired to cook anything elaborate.

the hunger struggle is real, ha! You never know with kids; sometimes they eat like there's no tomorrow, and other times, they turn into little birds with delicate appetites. Having options to nip that hunger in the bud is always a good idea!

That's a clever idea about the sign language! A great way to avoid toddler tantrums too. I like how you think - having some tricks up your sleeve as a parent makes life so much easier!
Ya, got to keep some tricks under our parenting sleeves haha! Anything that can help us stay one step ahead of those cheeky toddlers is a real win and can make a crazy day bearable. So many good ideas going around; it's neat how different things work for different families!

That's a clever idea about the sign language! A great way to avoid toddler tantrums too. I like how you think - having some tricks up your sleeve as a parent makes life so much easier!
it is amazing how learning a few simple sign languages can help with toddlers and young children. They find it fascinating and it often helps to keep them engaged and distracted at the same time. Not to mention, a great way to teach them some basic problem-solving skills too!

it pays to be prepared and armed with some good old distraction tactics and tricks up my sleeve! It's amazing how creative one becomes when faced with the prospect of taming wild toddlers.

Hmm, interesting tip about the sign language - certainly would've come in handy during my toddlers' "terrible two's"! Any other tips you moms have that could tackle those tricky toddler years? You know, keep 'em occupied and happy without resorting to an iPad?!
A good, old-fashioned game of I Spy kept me entertained as a kid, and my own toddler never fails to be amused by it too. Spotting different coloured cars or objects helps them hone their observing skills and keeps boredom at bay! It's amazing how creative you can get with this simple game.

Hmm, interesting tip about the sign language - certainly would've come in handy during my toddlers' "terrible two's"! Any other tips you moms have that could tackle those tricky toddler years? You know, keep 'em occupied and happy without resorting to an iPad?!
One thing I found useful was creating sensory bins at home, basically a box or tub filled with different textures of objects - think rice, pasta, buttons, even soap flakes - with some simple toys/objects thrown in. My little ones loved digging their hands into these boxes and it kept them busy for hours, plus it helped with their sensory development too!

Another trick was to set up a scavenger hunt with household items. Basic stuff like finding a red item, something smooth, a toy car hidden in plain sight - kept them engaged and distracted, especially on days cooped up at home. You could also specify colors or themes to make it more interesting for older toddlers.

For outdoors, I'd tie some small treats or snacks to a string and hang it from a low branch, then set the kids on a "treat hunt". They'd have to follow the string to find their rewards!

That's a good one! I find having a rotation of such videos helps - especially when you find the right content that holds their attention. That 'busy bag' idea is also great - I usually keep a small stash of simple toys and crafts too, but like how you've termed it, it makes it sound much more purposeful and fun!
Haha, I love the different names we come up with for the same purpose! In the end, it's all about keeping our sanity, right? But yeah, 'busy bag' sounds so much cooler than my clunky 'car entertainment box' term. Parenting is a creative job! Any other cool life-saving tips to share?

That's a good one! I find having a rotation of such videos helps - especially when you find the right content that holds their attention. That 'busy bag' idea is also great - I usually keep a small stash of simple toys and crafts too, but like how you've termed it, it makes it sound much more purposeful and fun!
Purpose is one thing, but keeping things functional and compact for busy moms is another! I find that having too many toys can lead to more hassle than help, so keeping the essentials that my child really adores in a lightweight, easy-to-carry bag is the way to go.

The term was new to me too, but I love the intention behind it - very clever The ideas shared in this thread have certainly upgraded my parenting bag of tricks. And it's always fun discovering these hacks!

The right kind of media content is crucial! I find that exposing them to the same theme also helps - like if they're into pirates, for instance. There's so much pirate-themed content out there, from books to movies to songs and even dress-up. It keeps them obsessed and engaged for longer periods.

Keeping things like colour-ing and craft supplies accessible definitely encourages independent play, which is a great way for kids to learn and keeps parents sanity intact! It's also a good idea to switch things up by having a variety of toys with different themes/colors so kid's interests aren't lost too quickly.
You're absolutely right! Having a variety of age-appropriate resources helps to keep them engaged longer, especially when they discover new wonders each time. It's encouraging to know that independent play can begin at a young age!

Keeping things like colour-ing and craft supplies accessible definitely encourages independent play, which is a great way for kids to learn and keeps parents sanity intact! It's also a good idea to switch things up by having a variety of toys with different themes/colors so kid's interests aren't lost too quickly.
That's true - variety is key to sustaining their attention! I switch up the toys every few weeks, storing some away and bringing out others, which helps to keep things exciting. It's also a clever way to declutter without throwing things away - rotation keeps the interest levels high without having to buy new toys constantly!

Reactions: nature
You're right; varied, easily accessible, and age-appropriate activities are key to encouraging independent play. That delicate balance of engaging the kids while keeping them absorbed long enough - a tricky endeavor Any other secret weapons in your parenting arsenal for those fidgety situations?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu