• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Life-saving Parenting Tips

Keeping things like colour-ing and craft supplies accessible definitely encourages independent play, which is a great way for kids to learn and keeps parents sanity intact! It's also a good idea to switch things up by having a variety of toys with different themes/colors so kid's interests aren't lost too quickly.
You're right about having a variety of toys! It's amazing how kids get drawn to new shapes and colours, giving us some much-needed time to finish our tasks. Keeping the crafts simple yet exciting is often the way to go - parents will know best the level of complexity their kids can manage without frustrating them.

Keeping things like colour-ing and craft supplies accessible definitely encourages independent play, which is a great way for kids to learn and keeps parents sanity intact! It's also a good idea to switch things up by having a variety of toys with different themes/colors so kid's interests aren't lost too quickly.
It helps to have a rotation of tricks and a good mix of toys and activities. It can get expensive though, so I try to make and repurpose household items into toys sometimes! Home-based, environmentally friendly, and cheap - **** three birds with one stone! But that's not always possible, and it's nice to treat the kids once in a while too.

Simple yet effective tips!

I also second having some mealtime tricks up your sleeve. My go-to is having cute, reusable animal-shaped meal boxes which my little one looks forward to eating from. It buys me some time and encourages him to finish his meals.

Anything else that works like magic for you guys? Those parenting hacks are the real MVPs!
Meal tricks are a godsend I find that getting kids involved in food prep - even simple tasks like washing vegetables or mixing ingredients - also helps with fussy eaters. It makes them more willing to try their creations and introduces an element of fun to mealtimes.

Another thing that works for us is having a family meal routine where we eat together and chat about our days. It's nice how it helps my kid share his feelings and learn good dining etiquette. At the same time, it keeps me in the loop on what's going on with him, especially since he's in that curious phase of discovering new things every day.

I find that technology can be a helping hand too. There are so many educational apps these days! I make use of them during parents' meetups - they keep the kids entertained and learning while we chat. Also, setting up some simple challenges or scavenger hunts indoors buys me some time for meal prep or cleaning up.

Do share your recommendations for kid-friendly apps and games!
Technology can be a real babysitter in disguise.. I mean, lifesaver! Haha. It's amazing how engaged kids can get with those educational apps - gives parents some well-deserved downtime too.

My little one loves the stack-up tower game and anything to do with trucks and transportation - the more interactive and realistic sound effects, the better! I'll leave it to the experts (AKA the other moms) to recommend the good ones though.

I also second having some mealtime tricks up your sleeve. My go-to is having cute, reusable animal-shaped meal boxes which my little one looks forward to eating from. It buys me some time and encourages him to finish his meals.

Anything else that works like magic for you guys? Those parenting hacks are the real MVPs!
You're right about making meal times fun - it makes a world of difference when your kid is keen on the experience!

I find getting my little one involved in preparing food helps too. She's more inclined to eat what we've made together, especially if she gets to pick and prep the ingredients. It keeps her engaged and gives her a sense of accomplishment too ("I helped to make dinner!"). Win-win situation!

Those meal boxes sound like a fun way to get kids involved in mealtimes!

I find that involving my tot in preparing meals works wonders too - even simple tasks like washing vegetables or mixing ingredients can keep him occupied and encourages him to try new foods. It also helps to have a few quick, go-to recipes for busy days that the whole family enjoys - those one-pan wonder meals are a life saver when cooking with kids because it's all done and over in a jiffy!

Meal hacks are every parent's MVP! I find that involving your little ones in preparing meals, even just a little, helps them feel included and encouraged to eat. Something as simple as letting them rinse the vegetables or mixing ingredients in a bowl can help, especially if their diets can be fussy. It adds a fun element to mealtimes and teaches them some independence too!

I find that technology can be a helping hand too. There are so many educational apps these days! I make use of them during parents' meetups - they keep the kids entertained and learning while we chat. Also, setting up some simple challenges or scavenger hunts indoors buys me some time for meal prep or cleaning up.

You're right; modern technology can be a godsend sometimes! Educational apps are a great way to keep kids engaged and learning, especially when they're packed with colorful designs and fun audio cues that hold their attention.

I find the simple yet classic games like Fruit Ninja a hit with many kids, and it's quite an inclusive game too - no complicated instructions to follow. Another favorite on the iPad is Scratch Jr., which introduces coding concepts to the little ones in a very manageable, creative way. For those into languages, there are some great apps that make learning another language fun, like Duolingo - it has an adorable owl too!

Apart from apps, YouTube channels like COCOMELON with its catchy nursery rhymes is a go-to when I need a quick break; the visuals are bright and engaging, so it holds their attention.

But yes, as with everything else, moderation is key! It's definitely a treat reserved for specific situations for my little ones.

There's this great local singapore-based company that developed the Toddler World Academy app - it's a good one to recommend for parents with slightly older toddlers, from 3 years onwards. The art and crafts ideas are easy to execute and usually involve affordable materials that can be found around the house, and the explanations are very clear for little ones to understand and follow along. Each video is short and snappy too, which is perfect for tiny attention spans. It's a good way to keep their creative and critical thinking juices flowing.

For slightly younger toddlers, say from 18 months, First Stars App has short, engaging educational videos categorized by themes - a few minutes on it keeps them entertained and the content is really wholesome. There's a good mix of cute animations and real-life footage too so it captures their attention well. And the best part is that it has a offline mode which is a lifesaver during those unpredictable toddler moments!

Other than that, Lumu Land has beautiful graphics with plenty of learning games - great for developing vocabulary and problem-solving skills. The best part is that parents can track their child's development progress through the app! It's really encouraging to see what our little ones are capable of.

Those are surefire winners in my book - hope they work their magic for you guys too!

Educational apps are a godsend for parents I've found success with math-related ones that make learning fun, like Math Bingo and Monster Math. Also, creating a little 'tech corner' for kids when you're at restaurants or cafes can help with some quiet time. As for outdoor scavenger hunts, I make sure to have some colorful stickers as rewards!

Reactions: chickadee

That's a smart move to utilize educational apps during parent meetups! It's a win-win situation where kids get to socialize and enjoy some screen time under supervision while parents catch a break to connect and bond.

Some of my son's favorites on the tablet are ABCMouse, which has fun learning activities and games. Also, Chuck the Truck has cute, short videos of trucks and construction vehicles which keep him entertained. I'm keen to explore more apps, so I'll jot down the recommendations to check them out!

Good idea on the busy bag! I'd also suggest having some independently playable games like lacing cards, tangram puzzles or magnetic games that don't require supervision but keep the kids engaged. Less screen time and more mindful playtime for the win!
Yes, it's amazing how these simple, old-fashioned toys can provide sensory stimulation and encourage independent play!

Good idea on the busy bag! I'd also suggest having some independently playable games like lacing cards, tangram puzzles or magnetic games that don't require supervision but keep the kids engaged. Less screen time and more mindful playtime for the win!
That's a great suggestion too! Mindful playtime is such a bonus in keeping children entertained and learning at the same time. I find that having a variety of options helps - especially when each activity caters to a different skill set. Rotation keeps things interesting, and I typically observe what has the longest 'entertainment value' for future reference!

That's a great addition to the goody bag! I feel less guilty now about letting my kid have some solo playtime when I see him focused and enjoying himself with these engaging, independent games you've mentioned. Anything that sparks joy and keeps them busy is a blessing!

Having a stash of affordable and easy-to-assemble snacks like pudding cups, boxed juice, and biscuits helps me buy some peace when I need to tend to my tot's endless requests during mealtime preparation. I also keep a small cooler bag filled with these snacks in the car for any unexpected hunger pangs!
That's smart thinking - a hungry tummy often leads to meltdowns! Keeping snack stashes in multiple places is a great idea, and definitely comes in handy when you're out and about too.

Having a stash of affordable and easy-to-assemble snacks like pudding cups, boxed juice, and biscuits helps me buy some peace when I need to tend to my tot's endless requests during mealtime preparation. I also keep a small cooler bag filled with these snacks in the car for any unexpected hunger pangs!
That's an insightful idea Keeping hunger at bay definitely keeps everyone's mood in check. Portable and mess-free food options are truly the way to go when managing kids' unexpected demands - you never know when those cravings will kick in!

That's an insightful one! I agree that having snacks readily available can really save the day and your sanity, especially when you're out and about or just need some time to finish preparing meals. It's also a great idea to have a variety of options so things don't get boring, and maybe even encourage the little ones to help prepare these treats!

That's a thoughtful and convenient solution to keep hunger at bay! Car snacks are a must, especially when you have little ones who seem to always be starving right after a meal. You never know when a hungry melt-down will happen, and it's good to be prepared with quick fixes like these.

Having some solo activities they can do unsupervised is definitely a godsend! I used to have a special box for my son filled with all sorts of things he liked - old but interesting magazines he could cut and glue, special colored pencils, funny shaped erasers and sharpeners, sticker sheets, etc. He'd get so engrossed it gave me time to finish household chores efficiently without distractions or having to resort to screen time.
The simple box of fun activities is a brilliant idea! I'm thinking of adding in some toy cars and little figurines for my son too - anything he can use for imaginary play. The possibilities are endless with such an affordable, accessible sanity-saver strategy!

Having some solo activities they can do unsupervised is definitely a godsend! I used to have a special box for my son filled with all sorts of things he liked - old but interesting magazines he could cut and glue, special colored pencils, funny shaped erasers and sharpeners, sticker sheets, etc. He'd get so engrossed it gave me time to finish household chores efficiently without distractions or having to resort to screen time.
The special box idea is a cool way to switch things up and keep them excited! Simple Joys.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu