• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Life-saving Parenting Tips

Having some solo activities they can do unsupervised is definitely a godsend! I used to have a special box for my son filled with all sorts of things he liked - old but interesting magazines he could cut and glue, special colored pencils, funny shaped erasers and sharpeners, sticker sheets, etc. He'd get so engrossed it gave me time to finish household chores efficiently without distractions or having to resort to screen time.
That's a clever idea to keep a special box of novelty items! I like how it provides variety too, keeping the kids intrigued without needing us to come up with new solutions every day. Sometimes the simplest things can make a huge difference!

I agree that having some basic sign language skills can really help, especially with pre-verbal toddlers! It can cut down on many meltdowns and misunderstandings. Parents might also be interested in picking up baby massage skills - it's a lovely bond-building activity and can really come in handy when you're trying to soothe a fussy baby.
You are spot on about learning the basics of baby sign language! It's incredible how many tantrums could be avoided when toddlers can express their basic needs without tears and screaming. And yes, massage skills are a great tip too - it helps with bonding and is a wonderful way to relax and calm the little ones, especially during stressful moments.

Having a simple code or secret language just among the family is a cute and effective idea! It's amazing how creative one has to get when communicating with little ones. I'm sure other parents will have good feedback on your sign language trick, it's an interesting concept and definitely unique!
It's true - every bit of creativity helps when communicating with young children! A secret family code could really make a toddler feel special too.

Having a simple code or secret language just among the family is a cute and effective idea! It's amazing how creative one has to get when communicating with little ones. I'm sure other parents will have good feedback on your sign language trick, it's an interesting concept and definitely unique!
It's fun teaching little ones and seeing their progress in communication! There's also the added benefit of having family " insider secrets" that makes it fun and exciting. Parenting hacks like these make the challenges more enjoyable!

Yes it's fascinating to see all these ingenious ways that we parents come up with to communicate with our little ones!

There are certainly many ways to creatively solve communication issues. With young children, some of the methods might seem quirky but they are incredibly effective! It's amazing how these little things can make a huge difference.

You're absolutely right! Establishing clear boundaries and maintaining an authoritative yet caring presence are essential in effective parenting. It's a delicate balance to strike, isn't it?

It's also insightful to point out the distinction between a 'phase' and a persisting character trait. As parents, we sometimes forget that our kids are developing new social and emotional skills every day, which leads to inconsistent behavior. We ought to remind ourselves that many behaviors are temporary and require patience!

Are there any other observations you'd like to share that help us reflect on our parenting approach? I'm finding this discussion eye-opening!
As a parent myself, one trick that has saved me from many melt downs (both my kids' and mine!) is to keep realistic expectations of what a child is capable of. When we understand their development stages and think back to our own pasts, it helps gauge if an issue is just a phase or part of their personalities. It's easier then to decide on an appropriate response without getting frustrated!

You're absolutely right! Establishing clear boundaries and maintaining an authoritative yet caring presence are essential in effective parenting. It's a delicate balance to strike, isn't it?

It's also insightful to point out the distinction between a 'phase' and a persisting character trait. As parents, we sometimes forget that our kids are developing new social and emotional skills every day, which leads to inconsistent behavior. We ought to remind ourselves that many behaviors are temporary and require patience!

Are there any other observations you'd like to share that help us reflect on our parenting approach? I'm finding this discussion eye-opening!
I think a lot of parents, especially new ones, can get stuck in their head about doing everything perfectly. In our desire to be the "perfect" parent, we forget that showing our children how to make mistakes and learning together as a family is important. It's okay to let our children see us make those mistakes, and it doesn't define us as 'bad' parents!

In fact, modeling the behavior of admitting mistakes, apologizing, and making amends teaches our little ones some important life lessons on humility and grace. Being imperfect together might just be the perfect parenting approach, and one that builds strong family bonds!

You are right; every child is unique, and what works for one may not work for another! It's great to have a variety of solutions.

Any other simple and unusual solutions to share that have made parenting easier for you all? Something you wish you had known earlier?
I've realised that an easily distracted kid needs simple rewards or motivators to stay focused on tasks - think sticker charts, or little treats as incentives. It helped with teaching good habits such as keeping toys away and handwashing! Also, it's never a bad idea to keep a small first-aid kit exclusively for outdoor excursions - you never know when a scraped knee might happen and it can be a real mood spoiler!

You are right; every child is unique, and what works for one may not work for another! It's great to have a variety of solutions.

Any other simple and unusual solutions to share that have made parenting easier for you all? Something you wish you had known earlier?
A helpful tip I discovered was to create a picture calendar for my kiddo. Instead of the usual wall calendar with dates, I use photographs with visual cues. For instance, a picture of a birthday cake represents a monthly milestone or a beach image for our upcoming vacation. The visual reference helps her understand timelines and anticipate events ahead, especially when she can't yet read properly. wish I'd thought of it earlier!

You're right; these tricks are specific and helpful, especially for new parents! I like how focused and purposeful your tips are. They're practical and efficient, getting straight to the point which is fantastic for when parents are in a pinch and need something to work fast.

The 'Shh'ing' technique is an interesting one! Never thought of it but can see how it might work, especially with the unpredictability of young kids. Also like the physicality of the babywearing; seems like a comfortable way to keep your little one close while getting things done.

Some great additions to the forum, for sure! Any others you care to share? I'm sure many readers would love to hear more.
As a parent, I've learnt that every child is different, and techniques vary with their personalities! You never know what might work, so it's always good to have a varied arsenal of options.

I've found keeping a stock of inexpensive, colourful hair accessories like clips and headbands help to keep my little one entertained. It's not mess-free or silent, but it buys me some time to prepare meals or take a quick shower, with lots of girly giggles and fun mirror time!

On days when I need to run some quick errands, I keep my daughter occupied with her toy camera, the kind that makes silly sounds and has different shapes on the viewfinder. She goes around 'taking photos' of people and things, and it keeps her engaged just long enough for me to finish up quickly!

You're right; these tricks are specific and helpful, especially for new parents! I like how focused and purposeful your tips are. They're practical and efficient, getting straight to the point which is fantastic for when parents are in a pinch and need something to work fast.

The 'Shh'ing' technique is an interesting one! Never thought of it but can see how it might work, especially with the unpredictability of young kids. Also like the physicality of the babywearing; seems like a comfortable way to keep your little one close while getting things done.

Some great additions to the forum, for sure! Any others you care to share? I'm sure many readers would love to hear more.
I've learnt that having a sense of humour is a valuable parenting tool. Encouraging playful banter as they grow older helps to develop their wit and encourages communication, which can make difficult situations easier to manage. It also helps to keep your own cool in trying times! Not an easy feat, but a worthwhile strategy nonetheless.

As a parent, I've learned to keep an emergency stash of snacks hidden away, like a squirrel burying nuts! You never know when a random sugar rush is going to come in handy to get through a difficult phase... or your own hunger pangs while preparing meals!

That's a smart hack with the reusable bags! And yes, I recall the struggle of getting kids in and out of strollers, so a portable fan would be a lifesaver for sure. Our little ones have such delicate and finicky needs, haha.
It's these little hacks that make life easier as a parent! Reusable bags are versatile and can come to our rescue on many occasions.

Do you think there are any specific challenges or situations where you wish you had a clever solution like this, or do you have more handy tips up your sleeve?

You are right; parenting solutions are often unique to each family and situation! Babywearing can be a lifesaver for little ones who are comfortable being snuggled close. I find that it works well for shorter periods though prolonged wearing can get a little warmthy (not sure if that's a real word, but you get the point!).

I love the 'Shhh' trick; it's so unexpected that it could startle them out of their tantrums!

And sticker rewards - an inexpensive and fun way to teach them about goals and achievement. I can see how it'd be effective, especially for younger kids.

(oops), these are great adds to the list!
It's true; each parenting 'hack' is so dependent on the kid's personality and their unique needs! I'm glad you shared yours; they're thoughtful solutions that many parents may find helpful! Does anyone else have more of these clever workarounds to share? They're such a fun read!

You're right; every child is different and so is their parenting approach. I wouldn't recommend babywearing past the infant stage or it'd just breed an entitled dependency. And I find that 'shhh'ing' actually has the opposite effect on my kid - sends him into a deeper spiral! But it's a good reminder that we all have to find what works best for our individual situations.
I can certainly relate to your experience; parenting often turns our expectations on their head, doesn't it? Every situation is unique and sometimes the things that work are the most unexpected!

That's a smart one! Reusable bags are a constant save for me too, especially since they're sturdy and less likely to tear compared to flimsy plastic ones.
Yeah, those thin plastic bags can be such a headache! Always nice to hear of simple yet impactful tips like this - something most people can easily implement too.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu