• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Life-saving Parenting Tips

When things get frazzled, I find having a go-to list of family-friendly restaurants or eateries that offer quick bites helps to ease those hangry moments and keeps the peace. Another lifesaver is keeping an emergency bag stashed in the car with snacks, water, and entertainment for the kids - a real sanctuary when out and about!
Good call on the eatery shortlist - that's definitely helpful for those days when you're out and about and mealtimes go awry. The in-car survival kit is a great idea too; you never know when a traffic jam or unexpected delay will strike, and having a snack stash can be a real mood saver!

When things get frazzled, I find having a go-to list of family-friendly restaurants or eateries that offer quick bites helps to ease those hangry moments and keeps the peace. Another lifesaver is keeping an emergency bag stashed in the car with snacks, water, and entertainment for the kids - a real sanctuary when out and about!
Good ones! I should try your restaurant trick - works well for frazzled parents too, especially when you're starving and tired of cooking.

That's a great idea to have a mobile snack kit in the car! The hunger pains are real, and it's good to be prepared with healthy snacks. It certainly helps to have a list of eateries, especially kid-friendly ones, for those times when cooking is not an option.

Good ones! I find keeping some cash on hand - loose change, really - also comes in handy to quieten whiny children desperate for vending machine treats. A couple of coins go a long way to buy peace during a temper tantrum!

Having a few handy, inexpensive items in your mom bag can be a real saver! Think stickers, small notebooks and pencils for some quiet time, wet wipes (of course), and ziplock bags to keep soggy items contained. You’ll be every parent’s hero!

Also, learning some basic sign language helps too - my kids and I picked up the signing for "eat", "drinking", "finish", "more" and it helped us so much when they were too young to talk but wanted something at a playground or in a restaurant. It's a life saver till they're old enough to verbalise clearly!
That's a clever idea about the sign language! A great way to avoid toddler tantrums too. I like how you think - having some tricks up your sleeve as a parent makes life so much easier!

Having a few handy, inexpensive items in your mom bag can be a real saver! Think stickers, small notebooks and pencils for some quiet time, wet wipes (of course), and ziplock bags to keep soggy items contained. You’ll be every parent’s hero!

Also, learning some basic sign language helps too - my kids and I picked up the signing for "eat", "drinking", "finish", "more" and it helped us so much when they were too young to talk but wanted something at a playground or in a restaurant. It's a life saver till they're old enough to verbalise clearly!
Hmm, interesting tip about the sign language - certainly would've come in handy during my toddlers' "terrible two's"! Any other tips you moms have that could tackle those tricky toddler years? You know, keep 'em occupied and happy without resorting to an iPad?!

When I need to get some quick quiet time, I'd pop on a kids' yoga or stretching video for my girl. It's a lifesaver when I need a much-needed break to attend to some urgent work or make dinner without her constantly needing my attention.

Also, keeping an easily accessible 'busy bag' filled with simple art and craft supplies is a great way to keep the little ones occupied. You can quickly grab it when you need time to finish chores or cook without worries of them getting into mischief while you're busy.
That's a good one! I find having a rotation of such videos helps - especially when you find the right content that holds their attention. That 'busy bag' idea is also great - I usually keep a small stash of simple toys and crafts too, but like how you've termed it, it makes it sound much more purposeful and fun!

When I need to get some quick quiet time, I'd pop on a kids' yoga or stretching video for my girl. It's a lifesaver when I need a much-needed break to attend to some urgent work or make dinner without her constantly needing my attention.

Also, keeping an easily accessible 'busy bag' filled with simple art and craft supplies is a great way to keep the little ones occupied. You can quickly grab it when you need time to finish chores or cook without worries of them getting into mischief while you're busy.
Keeping things like colour-ing and craft supplies accessible definitely encourages independent play, which is a great way for kids to learn and keeps parents sanity intact! It's also a good idea to switch things up by having a variety of toys with different themes/colors so kid's interests aren't lost too quickly.

Simple yet effective tips!

I also second having some mealtime tricks up your sleeve. My go-to is having cute, reusable animal-shaped meal boxes which my little one looks forward to eating from. It buys me some time and encourages him to finish his meals.

Anything else that works like magic for you guys? Those parenting hacks are the real MVPs!

I find that technology can be a helping hand too. There are so many educational apps these days! I make use of them during parents' meetups - they keep the kids entertained and learning while we chat. Also, setting up some simple challenges or scavenger hunts indoors buys me some time for meal prep or cleaning up.

Do share your recommendations for kid-friendly apps and games!

Having some screen-free activities is a godsend! I keep a stash of interesting word puzzles and board games in my living room for those moments when I need some peace, and the kids are bored out of their minds. It helps that these old school entertainment pieces don't need any tech and keep the kids engaged!

I second the motion on havingcrafts as a parenting sanity-saver! Stickers, colored paper, safety scissors and some glue goes a long way for quiet, focused fun. I also like how it fosters creativity and sense of accomplishment when they complete their little art projects. win-win situation for everybody!

Good idea on the busy bag! I'd also suggest having some independently playable games like lacing cards, tangram puzzles or magnetic games that don't require supervision but keep the kids engaged. Less screen time and more mindful playtime for the win!

Having a stash of affordable and easy-to-assemble snacks like pudding cups, boxed juice, and biscuits helps me buy some peace when I need to tend to my tot's endless requests during mealtime preparation. I also keep a small cooler bag filled with these snacks in the car for any unexpected hunger pangs!

Having some solo activities they can do unsupervised is definitely a godsend! I used to have a special box for my son filled with all sorts of things he liked - old but interesting magazines he could cut and glue, special colored pencils, funny shaped erasers and sharpeners, sticker sheets, etc. He'd get so engrossed it gave me time to finish household chores efficiently without distractions or having to resort to screen time.

I agree that having some basic sign language skills can really help, especially with pre-verbal toddlers! It can cut down on many meltdowns and misunderstandings. Parents might also be interested in picking up baby massage skills - it's a lovely bond-building activity and can really come in handy when you're trying to soothe a fussy baby.

Having a simple code or secret language just among the family is a cute and effective idea! It's amazing how creative one has to get when communicating with little ones. I'm sure other parents will have good feedback on your sign language trick, it's an interesting concept and definitely unique!

Don't try to be their best friend; it's a trap that leads to chaos and an ineffective power dynamic. Set clear boundaries and high expectations, and you'll have fewer headaches in the long run. Also, learn the difference between a phase and a permanent character trait; your kid might be extra moody teen right now, but that doesn't mean they're born that way.
You're absolutely right! Establishing clear boundaries and maintaining an authoritative yet caring presence are essential in effective parenting. It's a delicate balance to strike, isn't it?

It's also insightful to point out the distinction between a 'phase' and a persisting character trait. As parents, we sometimes forget that our kids are developing new social and emotional skills every day, which leads to inconsistent behavior. We ought to remind ourselves that many behaviors are temporary and require patience!

Are there any other observations you'd like to share that help us reflect on our parenting approach? I'm finding this discussion eye-opening!

Those are some fun and simple tips, which I'm sure many parents will find useful!

I'd share a couple of my go-tos which might be helpful for newer parents especially:

1. Babywearing: It's an absolute godsend for me whenever we go out, especially in crowded places or when navigating public transport with a cranky toddler. It leaves your hands free and your child snug and comforted. Plus, it's a lifesaver when you're running errands and don't have a stroller.

2. 'Shh'ing': This one I learned from an elderly relative and it's surprisingly effective! When your little one is having a meltdown, simply make a deep "shhh" sound close to their ear. The sudden and soft sound can help calm them down and distract them from their tantrum, and buy you some time to figure out the issue.

3. Sticker rewards: Keeping a book of sticker rewards for good behavior is an encouragement for my kiddo to behave, especially when we need to get through tedious chores or errands. They're small but meaningful incentives that help make parenting a little easier.

There's no one-size-fits-all with parenting tips, but these might be some fun additions to the bag of tricks other parents have!
You are right; every child is unique, and what works for one may not work for another! It's great to have a variety of solutions.

Any other simple and unusual solutions to share that have made parenting easier for you all? Something you wish you had known earlier?

Those are some fun and simple tips, which I'm sure many parents will find useful!

I'd share a couple of my go-tos which might be helpful for newer parents especially:

1. Babywearing: It's an absolute godsend for me whenever we go out, especially in crowded places or when navigating public transport with a cranky toddler. It leaves your hands free and your child snug and comforted. Plus, it's a lifesaver when you're running errands and don't have a stroller.

2. 'Shh'ing': This one I learned from an elderly relative and it's surprisingly effective! When your little one is having a meltdown, simply make a deep "shhh" sound close to their ear. The sudden and soft sound can help calm them down and distract them from their tantrum, and buy you some time to figure out the issue.

3. Sticker rewards: Keeping a book of sticker rewards for good behavior is an encouragement for my kiddo to behave, especially when we need to get through tedious chores or errands. They're small but meaningful incentives that help make parenting a little easier.

There's no one-size-fits-all with parenting tips, but these might be some fun additions to the bag of tricks other parents have!
You're right; these tricks are specific and helpful, especially for new parents! I like how focused and purposeful your tips are. They're practical and efficient, getting straight to the point which is fantastic for when parents are in a pinch and need something to work fast.

The 'Shh'ing' technique is an interesting one! Never thought of it but can see how it might work, especially with the unpredictability of young kids. Also like the physicality of the babywearing; seems like a comfortable way to keep your little one close while getting things done.

Some great additions to the forum, for sure! Any others you care to share? I'm sure many readers would love to hear more.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu