• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Life-saving Parenting Tips

Having a bag of tricks is a creative and fun way to manage those tricky parenting moments! It's like having a secret weapon up your sleeve. I also like the activity board idea for some indoor peace and quiet.

My go-to life hack is keeping a stock of washable, non-toxic finger paints in the pantry. When the kids are antsy or fidgety, especially on rainy days, I break out the paints and let them go wild on the kitchen table. It's a surefire way to keep them occupied while keeping the mess contained, and the cleanup is easy too - win-win!

I also agree with the food adventures theme. Making meal times exciting encourages picky eaters to explore new tastes and textures. Adding an element of playfulness to mealtimes can make a huge difference!

What other little hacks do you guys use to keep your sanity intact?
Another thing that helps to keep my sanity is keeping everyone's clothes organized by having a daily outfit rack. It saves time in the morning and avoids the headaches of deciding what to wear each day. My kid also enjoys choosing his outfits, so it's an enjoyable ritual for him too.

Having a bag of tricks is a creative and fun way to manage those tricky parenting moments! It's like having a secret weapon up your sleeve. I also like the activity board idea for some indoor peace and quiet.

My go-to life hack is keeping a stock of washable, non-toxic finger paints in the pantry. When the kids are antsy or fidgety, especially on rainy days, I break out the paints and let them go wild on the kitchen table. It's a surefire way to keep them occupied while keeping the mess contained, and the cleanup is easy too - win-win!

I also agree with the food adventures theme. Making meal times exciting encourages picky eaters to explore new tastes and textures. Adding an element of playfulness to mealtimes can make a huge difference!

What other little hacks do you guys use to keep your sanity intact?
Another trick up the sleeve is having a playlist of calming, child-friendly tunes on standby. Music can be a real mood booster and a distraction when things get tough. It's also a good way to add a bit of fun and interaction during stressful situations. Does anyone else have their own playlist of kid-friendly life savers?

My magic trick is turning household chores into games with points and rewards!boring, tedious tasks like folding laundry become "Folding Championships" with exciting finals. Also turns out cheaper than paying kids allowance for something they should do as part of the family anyway.
That's a clever way to make chores less dull and encourage some friendly competition too!

My magic trick is turning household chores into games with points and rewards!boring, tedious tasks like folding laundry become "Folding Championships" with exciting finals. Also turns out cheaper than paying kids allowance for something they should do as part of the family anyway.
That's a brilliant idea! Making chores into a game is such a fun way to get kids involved and teach them about responsibility too. It's a clever hack to keep them engaged and entertained while learning the importance of helping out.

Anything that adds a dose of fun to the everyday grind is a win in parenting!

That's a very creative approach to getting children involved in household responsibilities! Making it a gamified experience not only keeps the little ones entertained but also teach them the importance of helping out and contributing to the family. I like how you think outside the box for solutions!

I'm sure other parents would love to hear more of these innovative ideas - they help keep our sanity! Any others you'd care to share?

Reactions: sunnydays
That's a brilliant idea to make chores fun! Turning mundane tasks into games adds a twist of friendly competition and encourages teamwork, especially for multi-kid households. Saves us parents from the post-meal cleanup dramas too!

I agree that some good old fashioned playacting can go a long way in getting kids to do their chores without the usual complaints. After all, who needs rewards when you're already having fun? :)

Reactions: sunnydays
My parenting trick is having an easily accessible 'busy box' stashed away with simple craft supplies like colored cardboard rolls, Google eyes, pipecleaners, and glue. I pull it out when I need some uninterrupted time to prep meals or when my daughter needs an engaging activity. It's a life-saver during those endless 'I'm bored' whines and encourages open-ended creative play!
That's a great idea to keep a busy box around! It's amazing how creativity can blossom with some simple tools and imagination :) Does your little one have a favorite craft item or toy?

My parenting trick is having an easily accessible 'busy box' stashed away with simple craft supplies like colored cardboard rolls, Google eyes, pipecleaners, and glue. I pull it out when I need some uninterrupted time to prep meals or when my daughter needs an engaging activity. It's a life-saver during those endless 'I'm bored' whines and encourages open-ended creative play!
That sounds like a wonderful way to keep the little ones occupied! I love how these simple tricks can make a world of difference in keeping the household running smoothly.

You're all amazing; I can't believe I didn't think of these things! These tips are fantastic and so easy too!

@mumofthree, your busy box is such a brilliant idea - it's like an emergency kit for those 'I'm bored' moments which can be such a mood killer. Keeping the kids engaged with simple craft supplies is a great way to buy some peace and foster their imagination too.

Having a bag full of life-saving tricks is probably one of the most versatile and handy solutions here; I'm definitely going to put one together soon! There's so much you can do with a well-stocked bag of treats and toys, and it grows with the kids too!

It's fantastic to have these tips; thank you, ladies! Now, let's hear some more - any other clever hacks up your sleeves? 😊

Having a stash of instant, child-pleasing activities is a great tip - I've found that keeping a box of dress up clothes and some face paints also does the trick to keep the kids entertained when their energy levels are flagging. Not original, but a tried and tested classic! Also agree with the meal theming - works like a charm on lazy days! Any other creative solutions people have used?
Face painting is a good idea! It's like having an instant carnival or party trick up your sleeve. A friend сворд temporary tattoos which can be a quick fix too and very popular among the kids.

That's an amazing idea to keep the boredom at bay and encourage creativity! It's amazing how kids can be readily entertained with some simple crafts. I love that it gives them the freedom to create anything their imagination desires.

Having some independent playtime activities is definitely a sanity saver! My son loves anything that involves cars and race tracks, so setting up a little roadcourse with taped-up lanes on the floor buys me some hands-free time. It's amazing how entertained he can be with some simple household items like paper plates and toy cars.

That sounds like an exciting box full of sensory goodies! I love how these simple hacks can make a huge difference in keeping the little ones occupied and stimulating their imagination!

Having a stash of instant, child-pleasing activities is a great tip - I've found that keeping a box of dress up clothes and some face paints also does the trick to keep the kids entertained when their energy levels are flagging. Not original, but a tried and tested classic! Also agree with the meal theming - works like a charm on lazy days! Any other creative solutions people have used?
The classics are tried and tested for good reason! Face painting and dress-up never seem to fail in capturing kids' imaginations. I also find that keeping some simple science experiment props handy can be fun. Things like baking soda, vinegar, and food coloring can occupy the little ones with some messy but educational fun.

Another idea is creating a scavenger hunt around the house or yard with clues tailored to your child's interests and age. It keeps them engaged and encourages critical thinking!

For me, an essential life-saving tip is having a contact list of reliable babysitters or kid-friendly activities in the area. Knowing you have backup options for outings or last-minute engagements can be a sanity saver!

Some of the best tips parents can use are old fashioned and tried and true - they withstand the test of time for good reason! Face painting and dress-up never seem to lose their appeal. I find that giving themes a seasonal twist keeps things interesting, especially around holidays. For instance, around Halloween, you could have a spooky feast or a costume party leading up to it and Christmas brings so many festive food and decoration themes!

That's a smart one! The in-car survival kit saves the day (and the evening) I'm sure many parents would relate to your tips!
Having a well-stocked kit is a godsend, especially when you're out and about with kids. You never know when you might need an essential item or a comforting snack to boost morale!

That's a smart one! The in-car survival kit saves the day (and the evening) I'm sure many parents would relate to your tips!
Yeah, some kids just need constant entertainment. These days, with so many online influencers and their colorful videos, it can be tough to keep up as traditional toys and games might seem mundane in comparison. So creative parents have to get pretty innovative too!

Having a restaurant backup is a great idea! It's amazing how hungry kids can get suddenly and throwing in some themed meals at home as a fun, interactive activity is a clever way to engage picky eaters.

An emergency bag sounds like every parent's dream! Snacks are a must-have when heading out, and I usually toss in a small toy or two for added entertainment. Keeping the kids occupied while saving our sanity - genius!
You're absolutely right! Those life-saving tricks are gems every parent should know about. It's amazing how something as simple as a themed meal can make parenting just that little bit easier.

I also find that having a library of stories, preferably with interactive elements like lift-the-flaps or touchy-feely textures, helps to keep my toddler entertained and engaged during the day. Reading becomes extra fun and is a great way to wind down before bed too!

Having a restaurant backup is a great idea! It's amazing how hungry kids can get suddenly and throwing in some themed meals at home as a fun, interactive activity is a clever way to engage picky eaters.

An emergency bag sounds like every parent's dream! Snacks are a must-have when heading out, and I usually toss in a small toy or two for added entertainment. Keeping the kids occupied while saving our sanity - genius!
You're right; that emergency bag is a real lifesaver! Snacks and a bit of fun keep the little ones occupied while giving parents some breathing room. And it's amazing how a bit of themed fun at meal times can keep the whole family engaged.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu