• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Life-saving Parenting Tips

Having a stash of reusable bags in the boot of my car has saved many a days where I forgot to pack groceries bags. I also keep a portable stroller fan in there which comes in extremely handy during our hot and humid weather.
That's a smart hack with the reusable bags! And yes, I recall the struggle of getting kids in and out of strollers, so a portable fan would be a lifesaver for sure. Our little ones have such delicate and finicky needs, haha.

Those are some fun and simple tips, which I'm sure many parents will find useful!

I'd share a couple of my go-tos which might be helpful for newer parents especially:

1. Babywearing: It's an absolute godsend for me whenever we go out, especially in crowded places or when navigating public transport with a cranky toddler. It leaves your hands free and your child snug and comforted. Plus, it's a lifesaver when you're running errands and don't have a stroller.

2. 'Shh'ing': This one I learned from an elderly relative and it's surprisingly effective! When your little one is having a meltdown, simply make a deep "shhh" sound close to their ear. The sudden and soft sound can help calm them down and distract them from their tantrum, and buy you some time to figure out the issue.

3. Sticker rewards: Keeping a book of sticker rewards for good behavior is an encouragement for my kiddo to behave, especially when we need to get through tedious chores or errands. They're small but meaningful incentives that help make parenting a little easier.

There's no one-size-fits-all with parenting tips, but these might be some fun additions to the bag of tricks other parents have!
You are right; parenting solutions are often unique to each family and situation! Babywearing can be a lifesaver for little ones who are comfortable being snuggled close. I find that it works well for shorter periods though prolonged wearing can get a little warmthy (not sure if that's a real word, but you get the point!).

I love the 'Shhh' trick; it's so unexpected that it could startle them out of their tantrums!

And sticker rewards - an inexpensive and fun way to teach them about goals and achievement. I can see how it'd be effective, especially for younger kids.

(oops), these are great adds to the list!

Those are some fun and simple tips, which I'm sure many parents will find useful!

I'd share a couple of my go-tos which might be helpful for newer parents especially:

1. Babywearing: It's an absolute godsend for me whenever we go out, especially in crowded places or when navigating public transport with a cranky toddler. It leaves your hands free and your child snug and comforted. Plus, it's a lifesaver when you're running errands and don't have a stroller.

2. 'Shh'ing': This one I learned from an elderly relative and it's surprisingly effective! When your little one is having a meltdown, simply make a deep "shhh" sound close to their ear. The sudden and soft sound can help calm them down and distract them from their tantrum, and buy you some time to figure out the issue.

3. Sticker rewards: Keeping a book of sticker rewards for good behavior is an encouragement for my kiddo to behave, especially when we need to get through tedious chores or errands. They're small but meaningful incentives that help make parenting a little easier.

There's no one-size-fits-all with parenting tips, but these might be some fun additions to the bag of tricks other parents have!
You're right; every child is different and so is their parenting approach. I wouldn't recommend babywearing past the infant stage or it'd just breed an entitled dependency. And I find that 'shhh'ing' actually has the opposite effect on my kid - sends him into a deeper spiral! But it's a good reminder that we all have to find what works best for our individual situations.

Having a stash of reusable bags in the boot of my car has saved many a days where I forgot to pack groceries bags. I also keep a portable stroller fan in there which comes in extremely handy during our hot and humid weather.
That's a smart one! Reusable bags are a constant save for me too, especially since they're sturdy and less likely to tear compared to flimsy plastic ones.

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
That's a smart one! Reusable bags are a great eco-friendly and practical solution, and a must-have for grocery days. I'll definitely be adding that to my own boot!

Always be consistent in your parenting style and stick to your guns. Don't make empty threats or promises you can't keep -- it's a surefire way to lose any credibility you might have with your kids. Also, learn to let some things slide and pick your battles; if their socks don't match, but they're rushin' out the door on time, who cares really?

Having a bag of time-saving tricks up your sleeve is a smart move! Theming mealtimes is a clever way to make eating an adventure; I'll suggest a camp-themed meal - complete with torches and 'bug meals' - to my kids tonight!

Any other quick thinking life rafts you guys use would be great to hear about!
Another trick up the sleeve is pretending that a tedious or difficult task is actually a fun game, like a secret spy mission. For example, getting your kiddo to help you 'spot the difference' while doing some light housework or going on an imaginary monster hunt while picking up toys helps get those chores done without the hassle and whining.

I also second the suggestion of having a stroller fan; it's a small device that makes a big difference, especially when queuing in long queues or during power outages!

Having a bag of time-saving tricks up your sleeve is a smart move! Theming mealtimes is a clever way to make eating an adventure; I'll suggest a camp-themed meal - complete with torches and 'bug meals' - to my kids tonight!

I rely heavily on sensory play for some peace and quiet time. I make a big batch of cloud dough or gloop (a slippery, slimy sensation made with flour, water and food coloring) once in a while, and store them in the bathroom cabinet. They're messy play options that keep my little one occupied when I need some focused alone time. The confinement and the sensory experience calm him down. Bonus is it's easily cleaned up too - rinse and flush!

Meal prep is my ultimate lifesaver as it makes mealtimes hassle-free. On days when I have some spare time, I'd cook and freeze kid-friendly meals in portioned containers. It's a real time and sanity saver on busy days, and also helps with meal variety. I simply defrost and reheat, or sometimes even just dump frozen portions straight into the slow cooker for a warm and yummy dinner without any last-minute cooking!

My shortcut is keeping a few pairs of pyjamas in varying sizes stashed away. When the kids get home from school, they change into new pjs and immediately feel more relaxed. It's a psychological thing - helps them signal 'play time' or 'chill out time'. Also makes bedtime smoother since they're already dressed for sleep.

Themed picnics sound like a wonderful way to make mealtimes exciting and foster creativity! My son can be rather fussy about food, so I'll definitely be giving this a shot.

My life-saver is keeping a stock of inexpensive, compact toys and treats, perfect for rewarding good behavior or as a distraction technique. Think small cars, miniature puzzles, or sticker sheets. They come in handy especially during tantrum-prone situations like grocery trips or restaurant visits.

I also rely on a arsenal of sensory play ideas for at home, like slime, kinetic sand, and art supplies that encourage independent play. These are great for developing senses and keeping my little one entertained while I tend to his younger cousin.

Anything to keep the peace and make life more enjoyable, right? :)
Yes! keeping independently rewarding activities can really save the day (and your sanity!). I like how you incorporate sensory play - it's a wonderful way to develop their senses and their fine motor skills too.

I'm gathering quite a list of hacks here - parenting truly is a skill that improves with gather wisdom and shared tips!

Themed picnics sound like a wonderful way to make mealtimes exciting and foster creativity! My son can be rather fussy about food, so I'll definitely be giving this a shot.

My life-saver is keeping a stock of inexpensive, compact toys and treats, perfect for rewarding good behavior or as a distraction technique. Think small cars, miniature puzzles, or sticker sheets. They come in handy especially during tantrum-prone situations like grocery trips or restaurant visits.

I also rely on a arsenal of sensory play ideas for at home, like slime, kinetic sand, and art supplies that encourage independent play. These are great for developing senses and keeping my little one entertained while I tend to his younger cousin.

You seem like a seasoned parent with your sensory play arsenal!

I love exposing my kids to sensory experiences, especially kinetic sand; it's messy fun that keeps them occupied for hours. Also, having a collection of simple art supplies on hand is such a great way to encourage creativity and independence - and tire them out too!

For fussy eaters, I find involving the kids in the planning and cooking process helps. Letting them choose recipes and participate in preparing meals encourages them try the fruits (or veggies!) of their labor. It might get messy, but it often results in a win-win situation with less picky eating and quality bonding time!

It's also nice to hear that I'm not the only one relying on backup tricks and treats to maintain some semblance of peace. 😁

You're spot on about sensory play! It's a brilliant way to engage kids and encourages them to explore their creativity. Plus, the sensory stimulation is great for their overall development. GO team Parents!

Having a bag of treats and toys is a handy tip, especially for keeping little ones entertained when you're out and about! Having a backup stock of entertainment ensures the kids are engaged and saves us parents from the dreaded meltdowns.

An activity board is a great sensory play idea for toddlers too - a great way to develop their motor skills while having fun! We can never go wrong with a spot of glue and glitter, right?

I like the picnic idea too - a fun way to make mundane mealtimes an exciting adventure and a good way to keep the little palates happy and open to new food ideas.

These are great, simple yet effective parenting hacks! Any others you guys swear by? It's so helpful to have this repertoire of tricks up our sleeves!
Simple but effective Life-saving tips like these are what keeps parents sane, and it's always exciting to add more tricks into our mommy arsenals! Keep those ideas flowing, ladies!

Having a bag of treats and toys is a handy tip, especially for keeping little ones entertained when you're out and about! Having a backup stock of entertainment ensures the kids are engaged and saves us parents from the dreaded meltdowns.

An activity board is a great sensory play idea for toddlers too - a great way to develop their motor skills while having fun! We can never go wrong with a spot of glue and glitter, right?

I like the picnic idea too - a fun way to make mundane mealtimes an exciting adventure and a good way to keep the little palates happy and open to new food ideas.

These are great, simple yet effective parenting hacks! Any others you guys swear by? It's so helpful to have this repertoire of tricks up our sleeves!
Parenting tips come in handy especially when out with the little ones and keeping a stash of rewards and distractions is a ingenious way to keep things peaceful. In addition, keeping a calm and composed demeanor, I've found helps in such situations too - maintaining eye-level communication while offering concise and simple explanations/instructions, prevents situations from escalating especially with the younger toddler crowd.

What other off-the-cuff tricks have worked well for you moms?

Parenting is all about resilience, eh? Having these quick hacks in our parenting toolbox sure helps with the daily challenges! Simple and effective strategies are often the best, like making mealtime a fun sensory experience with themed picnic setups.

My kiddo loves anything to do with water, so I sometimes set up a 'Water Discovery Table' at home with tubs of water, cups, and toys floating about. It's a messier affair but keeps her entertained while I cook or tend to other things. A surefire way to buy some peaceful time!

I've also found that involving my little one in meal prep helps with the eating process. She gets to pick ingredients and 'help' with easy, safe tasks like rinsing vegetables or mixing bowls of salad. It's a slow and often messier route to getting meals ready but encourages independence and might help with picky eaters.

What other quick, creative solutions do you all use to make parenting less daunting?

Having a well-stocked pantry is another of my hacks - filled with easy-to-prepare, nutritious meals and snacks that can be whipped up quickly. It ensures we always have something to tide us over and avoid hanger attacks!

I also second keeping an entertainment stash for the car -- a real saviour during unexpected traffic jams or detours!
That pantry hack is helpful in keeping hunger at bay and avoiding those last-minute dashes to the shop! A well-prepared meal, ready to be dished up, is a great way to ensure the kids eat nutritious food too.

Having a well-stocked pantry is another of my hacks - filled with easy-to-prepare, nutritious meals and snacks that can be whipped up quickly. It ensures we always have something to tide us over and avoid hanger attacks!

I also second keeping an entertainment stash for the car -- a real saviour during unexpected traffic jams or detours!
being prepared and well-stocked is definitely a parent's superpower! It's amazing how a few simple supplies can make all the difference in keeping little ones occupied.

Having a bag of tricks is a creative and fun way to manage those tricky parenting moments! It's like having a secret weapon up your sleeve. I also like the activity board idea for some indoor peace and quiet.

My go-to life hack is keeping a stock of washable, non-toxic finger paints in the pantry. When the kids are antsy or fidgety, especially on rainy days, I break out the paints and let them go wild on the kitchen table. It's a surefire way to keep them occupied while keeping the mess contained, and the cleanup is easy too - win-win!

I also agree with the food adventures theme. Making meal times exciting encourages picky eaters to explore new tastes and textures. Adding an element of playfulness to mealtimes can make a huge difference!

What other little hacks do you guys use to keep your sanity intact?
Having a sensory bin at home is another great indoor activity, especially if you have young toddlers. Mine love rummaging through the basket of beans, rice, or foam blocks I prepare for them. It's a simple and easy go-to that occupies them long enough for me to prep meals or do some work.

I also second the idea of having a pantry stocked with kid-friendly snacks. Mine would be the healthy kind - nuts, fruits, and homemade granola bars - for those constant hungry monster moments!

There's so many great ideas floating around here. It's amazing what creative solutions we come up with to navigate parenting!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu