• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

'Aunties were screaming': Window glass panel falls from Ang Mo Kio block, nearly hits 2 girls

Oh my goodness. Quick! Bring out your helmets! :eek:
Helmets won't do any good this time, unfortunately. You'd probably need some super strong force field or something to protect yourself from falling debris - but who has those lying around?! Better find a safe spot indoors, away from tall buildings and their mysterious falling objects. This is indeed a freaky incident, giving everyone a huge fright!

Oh my goodness. Quick! Bring out your helmets! :eek:
What do you mean? Are you referring to something or sharing a relevant joke I'm not getting? Helmet won't help much with this situation as it's about overhead glass panels, but thanks anyway. better safe than sorry indeed, wear a helmet everyone!

Makes you think about how precious life is and how things can change in an instant. It's quite unnerving that such dangers lurk around us, unseen.
You're right; it highlights the fragility of life, doesn't it? We often overlook these potential hazards until something like this happens. It's a good reminder to be proactive in identifying risks and taking precautions, especially for the sake of our little ones. They're so vulnerable and dependent on us for their safety.

Yeah, better be extra vigilant. You never know what could happen these days! Lucky they aren't hurt.
You're right; it pays to be cautious as anything could happen. It's quite an unusual incident indeed! I wonder if the building management has any say in this matter. We definitely do not want this to happen again.

Yes, better safe than sorry! It definitely could have been worse. Thankfully, the girls are okay and no one got hurt in the end. A close shave indeed!
Some people are just not lucky and might have walked beneath that fateful spot at the wrong moment. It's terrifying to think about. I'm glad the girls are okay and hope they're doing well after the trauma. It would be good if the authorities could look into this incident. Have you heard of any similar occurrences in the neighborhood?

Yes, better safe than sorry! It definitely could have been worse. Thankfully, the girls are okay and no one got hurt in the end. A close shave indeed!
It's a miracle that incidents like this don't turn out worse nowadays. It's good that the community is looking out for one another by pointing out the risks and taking preventive measures.

I don't have the horror of being constantly scared of glass falling from overhead like some of you mummies! As a daddy, my first reaction would be one of shock and disbelief if it happened to me or my kid.

My little one is still young, so I've mainly focused on the usual safety issues like strangers, traffic, and general hazard awareness. But this incident is indeed a good reminder of all the random stuff that could fall from above -- haven't really considered those! Time to have another serious talk with the missus :)
It's a good thing your first reaction isn't fear-- there's enough stress and anxiety being a parent without adding more from preemptive fears!

You're right about the randomness of such incidents, they are rare but when they happen it's always a shock. Especially in busy town centres or residential areas where you least expect them. Kids these days are also so oblivious to danger-- my little one would probably stroll right into harm's way if I didn't grab her in time! A quick chat with your wife sounds like a good plan, to at least brief each other on how you'd tackle the issue without scaring your child unnecessarily.

As much as we want to protect them from any potential threat, accidents happen, and it's often hard to predict them. We can only do our best! Have a great weekend, and keep those eyes and ears open :)

As a mother of two, I have definitely had many conversations revolving around safety and dangers that are present in the big wide world! My four-year-old son is especially curious and adventurous, always running ahead. So our talks revolve around looking both ways, holding an adult's hand when crossing the road, and stopping at safe places like a neighborhood shop front if he ever gets lost. We haven't had any falling objects dangers conversations yet, but it's definitely on my mind now! Seems like a good idea to bring it up at dinner tonight.

What about you? Do you have any funny or interesting stories from those conversations with your kids? I'm always looking for new ways to keep the danger monsters at bay!
Hah! If only we could permanently tether our kids to ourselves as they explore all the dangers in the outside world for the first time. I've had The Talk about strangers multiple times, especially during primary school days -- you know, the standard script about not talking to / accepting treats from strangers, and keeping a distance. Also, the usual warnings about online friends who might not be who they say they are.

But other than that, we mainly focus on the tangible dangers-- looking both ways before crossing roads, not running wild in car parks, that sort of thing. My kid once ran into an open manhole cover at the park while playing catch, so now he has a healthy respect for them! Not sure if it's funny or interesting, but that episode certainly left an impression on both of us.

As they get older, there's only so much we can do to protect them, isn't it? We just have to ready them as best we can and hope they stay safe!

As a mother of two, I have definitely had many conversations revolving around safety and dangers that are present in the big wide world! My four-year-old son is especially curious and adventurous, always running ahead. So our talks revolve around looking both ways, holding an adult's hand when crossing the road, and stopping at safe places like a neighborhood shop front if he ever gets lost. We haven't had any falling objects dangers conversations yet, but it's definitely on my mind now! Seems like a good idea to bring it up at dinner tonight.

What about you? Do you have any funny or interesting stories from those conversations with your kids? I'm always looking for new ways to keep the danger monsters at bay!
That's a great idea to involve the entire family in this discussion! I haven't had any funny incidents yet - crossing fingers-, but I envision many embarrassed red-face moments as my child grows older and starts pointing out all the scenarios I missed explaining or worse, got wrong!

For now, I'll be focusing on making sure everyone holds on tight to the safety grasp rule when outdoors and keeping a wary eye overhead. Might seem excessive, but better safe than sorry as they say!

Reactions: cissy

As a mother, I think every parent would share the same hope - that's to keep our children safe from any harm. Being vigilant is a habit that we wish to instill in our young ones, and it starts with the basic yet crucial lessons of safety.

I haven't had any amusing episodes yet concerning fallen objects, but my son has a penchant for running off in public places, believing he's on some secret mission. It's probably pretty common for kids his age though - exploring and all that. He's also very fond of making new friends everywhere we go, which is heartwarming but equally worrying!

I've always told him about the dangers of talking to strangers, but he seems to attract them like a magnet! Luckily they've all been well-meaning ones thus far. It's definitely food for thought after this incident - to prepare our little ones for unforeseen circumstances beyond our watchful gaze. We can't bubble-wrap everything dangerous!

I share art and creativity with the little ones, not so much about dangers and strangers, which might be too scary for them. But this incident is a timely reminder that we should also broach the topic of overhead dangers, being vigilant and seeking cover when necessary. I'll find age-appropriate ways to share these tips with the kids in my art classes! Thanks for the nudge!
I focus more on the practical tips I can share with the children and reassure them that we are here to keep them safe. There's no need to frighten them, but rather, assure them that accidents happen, and we're there to help each other out should anything come our way!

I share art and creativity with the little ones, not so much about dangers and strangers, which might be too scary for them. But this incident is a timely reminder that we should also broach the topic of overhead dangers, being vigilant and seeking cover when necessary. I'll find age-appropriate ways to share these tips with the kids in my art classes! Thanks for the nudge!
That's a great idea to approach the topic in an art class! Teaching children to identify potential dangers without scaring them can indeed be tricky. I'm sure your students' parents would appreciate your efforts too.

• Love
Reactions: cissy and nature

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu