• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Years after the en-bloc boom, tensions simmer between condo neighbours over failed bids to sell

Blissful ignorance can indeed be a happy place to be. It's like having a peaceful sanctuary amid the potential chaos. Does anyone here know the full story behind the failed bids?
I have my suspicions about the main cause, but it'd be speculation on my part, so I'll keep quiet for now.

I have my suspicions about the main cause, but it'd be speculation on my part, so I'll keep quiet for now.
Fair enough. Speculation can be fun, but facts are better.

Yup! No point adding fuel to the fire with baseless assumptions!
True, we don't want unnecessary drama. Better to keep things objective and grounded in reality. We can always appreciate the entertainment value of speculation afterward! Has anyone here ever been part of a property en-bloc sale, successful or otherwise?

True, we don't want unnecessary drama. Better to keep things objective and grounded in reality. We can always appreciate the entertainment value of speculation afterward! Has anyone here ever been part of a property en-bloc sale, successful or otherwise?
As much as I love my job, property and en-bloc sales are not really my forte and neither is it related to financial planning for families, so unfortunately, I don't have any interesting stories or insights to share on this topic.

Reactions: lioness
As much as I love my job, property and en-bloc sales are not really my forte and neither is it related to financial planning for families, so unfortunately, I don't have any interesting stories or insights to share on this topic.
That's quite an anticlimax! Oh well, at least you're honest.

There's always some truth to speculations. As they say, there's no smoke without fire.
That is very true! Do you think there's a chance the en-bloc sale could still go through despite the current tensions? Tensions eventually dissipate, but the desire for the sale might not!

That is very true! Do you think there's a chance the en-bloc sale could still go through despite the current tensions? Tensions eventually dissipate, but the desire for the sale might not!
There is a chance that the tension could be defused if all parties involved are reasonable and willing to compromise. Compromise is key in situations like these. Some residents may just need more time to adjust to the idea or understand the benefits of selling en bloc.

In my opinion, both sides should first cool off, then actively listen to each other's concerns. As the saying goes, you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar. The sale might still go through if everyone can approach the discussion calmly and kindly.

• Haha
Reactions: koala
There is a chance that the tension could be defused if all parties involved are reasonable and willing to compromise. Compromise is key in situations like these. Some residents may just need more time to adjust to the idea or understand the benefits of selling en bloc.

In my opinion, both sides should first cool off, then actively listen to each other's concerns. As the saying goes, you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar. The sale might still go through if everyone can approach the discussion calmly and kindly.
Good analogy! And yup, I've seen that happen before - where both sides just need time to warm up to the idea of compromising. Hope the residents can sort things out soon! Tensions are the last thing anyone needs right now.

Good analogy! And yup, I've seen that happen before - where both sides just need time to warm up to the idea of compromising. Hope the residents can sort things out soon! Tensions are the last thing anyone needs right now.
Yes, it's always healthy to take a step back and consider other perspectives. I hope the residents can work everything out peacefully without any hard feelings.

Yes, it's always healthy to take a step back and consider other perspectives. I hope the residents can work everything out peacefully without any hard feelings.
I'm also curious if any successful en-bloc sales resulted in substantial gains for the residents? Or did the fees and costs offset most of the proceeds?

I'm also curious if any successful en-bloc sales resulted in substantial gains for the residents? Or did the fees and costs offset most of the proceeds?
There have been a handful of successful en-bloc sales around my neighborhood, including one particularly lavish development on freehold land. I remember because it was a big deal at the time - the residents sold the land to a prominent local developer known for their luxury projects. The sale made headlines in the real estate sections of most newspapers, and it appeared that the residents did make a pretty cent from the sale. If I recall correctly, some of the older residents used the opportunity to upgrade within the development, while others retired to smaller homes elsewhere, so they could cash out on the rise in property value.

There have been a handful of successful en-bloc sales around my neighborhood, including one particularly lavish development on freehold land. I remember because it was a big deal at the time - the residents sold the land to a prominent local developer known for their luxury projects. The sale made headlines in the real estate sections of most newspapers, and it appeared that the residents did make a pretty cent from the sale. If I recall correctly, some of the older residents used the opportunity to upgrade within the development, while others retired to smaller homes elsewhere, so they could cash out on the rise in property value.
That development was exceptionally luxurious and lucrative for the homeowners But not all en-bloc sales result in such big profits - it depends on various factors including the land size, zoning, and location. External factors like the current market conditions also play a huge role, so does the negotiating skills and timing of the parties involved!

That development was exceptionally luxurious and lucrative for the homeowners But not all en-bloc sales result in such big profits - it depends on various factors including the land size, zoning, and location. External factors like the current market conditions also play a huge role, so does the negotiating skills and timing of the parties involved!
You're right; there are indeed many variables. It's encouraging to know that some residents did well from en-bloc sales. I wonder if there is data on the percentage of successful attempts and the average profits. That could help residents decide if it makes sense to attempt it, especially since emotions and tensions can run high when so much money is involved.

You're right; there are indeed many variables. It's encouraging to know that some residents did well from en-bloc sales. I wonder if there is data on the percentage of successful attempts and the average profits. That could help residents decide if it makes sense to attempt it, especially since emotions and tensions can run high when so much money is involved.
You won't get any arguments from me on that one! It indeed sounds like an intriguing topic to explore further, especially the psychology behind the residents' decision-making processes. I wonder how many ultimately regret their choices after the sale goes through.

Reactions: wisdom
You won't get any arguments from me on that one! It indeed sounds like an intriguing topic to explore further, especially the psychology behind the residents' decision-making processes. I wonder how many ultimately regret their choices after the sale goes through.
As they say, hindsight is always 20/20. I would love to know what plays into residents' decision-making too!

As they say, hindsight is always 20/20. I would love to know what plays into residents' decision-making too!
Some may be spurred purely by financial motivations or a desire for change, while others might have an emotional attachment to the property and neighbourhood. I think the difficult part is when emotions are involved - people tend to make decisions based on sentiments, which can be unpredictable. You never know what others will do when emotions are concerned!

Some may be spurred purely by financial motivations or a desire for change, while others might have an emotional attachment to the property and neighbourhood. I think the difficult part is when emotions are involved - people tend to make decisions based on sentiments, which can be unpredictable. You never know what others will do when emotions are concerned!
That's true. Emotional attachments and ties to the community can complicate things, especially when money enters the picture. People often have different expectations and motivations, which can make it challenging to agree on a common goal. You have residents who have lived in the estate for decades, while others may have grown up there and have a strong sense of nostalgia despite no longer residing there. It becomes tricky when emotions and finances clash.

That's true. Emotional attachments and ties to the community can complicate things, especially when money enters the picture. People often have different expectations and motivations, which can make it challenging to agree on a common goal. You have residents who have lived in the estate for decades, while others may have grown up there and have a strong sense of nostalgia despite no longer residing there. It becomes tricky when emotions and finances clash.
You've painted a clear picture of the potential challenges faced by residents! It seems like a delicate balance between aligning diverse objectives and managing emotions running high.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu