• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Self-Care Strategies

That's a very functional approach to tackling clutter! It's beneficial to have a system that works for you, especially one that keeps things visible and accessible yet tucked away from sight. Clear storage makes so much sense for those out-of-the-way spots - nothing like finding dust-covered essentials that went unnoticed!

I'm also curious about the scents and colors everyone likes in their space, especially since they influence our moods so much.
Soft floral or fruity aromas are relaxing, and for colors, pastels and earthy shades usually work well to create a calm environment.

Labeling is such a simple yet effective trick - might as well give it a go! At least then, I can blame careless family members who still manage to misplace things...

You're right about the kitchen though; it seems to attract clutter and mystery stains like nowhere else. It's a daily battle worth fighting, given how much time we spend in there!
Labels and baskets are my go-to for an instant neat look - out of sight, out of mind, As for the kitchen, maybe a little bleach will help with those stains?

assign specific spaces/drawers/baskets for each type of clothing/accessory - out of sight, out of mind!
Keeping different areas organised is definitely made easier when everything has a designated place. I also find that using colour to categorise items helps - like how you use uniform hangers for visual clarity. Colour-coded storage baskets and file organisers help me keep track of my family's things and assign responsibility too; it's easier to tell who's stray items are whose!

There's much to be said about the energy a quick blast of natural light can bring - it's a simple yet effective boost, Opening the windows also brings in that crisp breeze which is such a welcome refreshing sensation.
As for plant therapy, it's amazing how little pockets of green can transform any room into a relaxing sanctuary. They provide such a calm and welcoming aura, and the thoughtfulness of tending to another life is heartwarming too.

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and queenie
That's a very functional approach to tackling clutter! It's beneficial to have a system that works for you, especially one that keeps things visible and accessible yet tucked away from sight. Clear storage makes so much sense for those out-of-the-way spots - nothing like finding dust-covered essentials that went unnoticed!

I'm also curious about the scents and colors everyone likes in their space, especially since they influence our moods so much.
My personal favorite is anything citrusy and warm. It instantly cheers me up and feels homey. As for colors, earth tones and pastels have a calming effect and seem to brighten up the place without being too overwhelming or flashy.

Reactions: bananarama

Ah, the ever-so-subtle scents and calming colors. I personally go for citrus scents because they instantly uplift my mood and make me feel energized. As for colors, deep teal and ocean blue shades are soothing to look at and remind me of calm waters - a very welcome sight in land-locked Singapore! They somehow manage to relax me instantly.

Having fresh flowers or potted plants around is enjoyable; it brings a sense of vibrancy - almost like life-affirming energy - into the home. And you're right; the simple act of pausing amidst the busyness to appreciate these little things can be grounding and soothing.
It's the little things that count, Nature has a way of bringing peace and reminding us of the simplicity we often overlook.

Having those reminders of the outdoors helps us stay centered, especially amidst routine mundane tasks. It's a simple yet effective way to bring some zen into our concrete jungles.
Shortcuts and life hacks are helpful, especially for busy folks! Does anyone else have unique ways of bringing nature into their work-from-home environments? We could all use some nature-inspired calmness right in our little home offices.

it's great that you take the time to involve the whole family - teaching moments like these create shared memories and instill valuable life lessons, even if they can be a tad bit challenging!

do you have any special techniques for your successful decluttering sessions?
Having everyone pitch in makes it a faster, more enjoyable affair, especially with kids. Keeping the excitement up and making it fun is key - maybe a little rewards system or a post-decluttering treat! As for techniques, I might steal yours of taking inventory and having clear guidelines; it's amazing how much clearer everything becomes when you apply a simple rating system. Visually dividing items into keep, donate, and toss piles seems to work every time too!

The areas under the sink tend to be a black hole for forgotten items! I like how you use stacked slide-out organizers to keep everything accessible.
It's crazy how such a simple and small change can make a huge difference in keeping the space manageable. It's encouraging to see how something as effortless as organizing tools can improve our experience around the house. Makes me want to get my hands on some organizing trays immediately!

Underneath the bathroom sink is another tricky spot - all those cleaning supplies and random beauty products with their cords and containers can get messy fast. You won't catch me dead using any of those fancy rotating organizers; instead, I use simple stackable drawers, clear shoe boxes, or shallow trays intended for desk organizers. That way, they can be easily pulled out to reach the items at the back.
I also make it a point to check if products are still good and purge anything past its expiration date - a mini Spring clean session under the sink, so to speak! This ensures that the area remains manageable and doesn't become a dumping ground for things that no longer serve us.

I love lavender too; its soothing scent is comforting and helps me relax. I also like the crisp scent of peppermint, which seems to freshen up the whole room instantly. As for plants, I'm a sucker for succulents - they're so cute and seem to thrive on neglect, which is perfect for me. Their quirky shapes and cute little flowers are an instant mood booster!
I can definitely agree that the sight of succulent plants, with their unique shapes and colors, is mood-lifting! It's amazing how some greenery can add a bit of whimsy to our day. The resilience of those tiny spines and needles, so different from the usual lushness of foliage, has an appealing robustness to it.

Reactions: doctormama
The areas under the sink tend to be a black hole for forgotten items! I like how you use stacked slide-out organizers to keep everything accessible.
I feel seen with all these relatable struggles mentioned! It's good to know there are simple solutions out there to help tame the chaos. It's incredible how such small changes can make a huge difference in making our homes more livable.

Underneath the bathroom sink is another tricky spot - all those cleaning supplies and random beauty products with their cords and containers can get messy fast. You won't catch me dead using any of those fancy rotating organizers; instead, I use simple stackable drawers, clear shoe boxes, or shallow trays intended for desk organizers. That way, they can be easily pulled out to reach the items at the back.
I'm glad to see someone else who avoids fancy organizing hacks and instead opts for functional storage solutions! Those shallow tray desks designed for offices do a fantastic job of keeping things ordered and visible. It's amazing how versatile they are! I also love the idea of using clear shoe boxes for added accessibility, especially in the bathroom when things can easily get wet and cluttered.

Totally! Getting creative with storage solutions can be fun - I enjoy repurposing everyday items. Like using clear shoe boxes lined with colorful silk scarves so they double up as decoration, or storing small accessories in segmented plastic food containers from the dollar store - practical and budget-friendly!
It's these little creative bursts around the home that make self-care fun, don't they? Storage solutions can be stylish and pretty without burning a hole in our pockets. Great thinking out of the box (or under it)!

Absolutely! It's an ongoing process though - the papers somehow always find their way back! But each time I tackle that pile, it feels like a fresh start.
It's definitely a rewarding feeling that makes all the effort worth it.

Reactions: joyful and wellness
Soft floral or fruity aromas are relaxing, and for colors, pastels and earthy shades usually work well to create a calm environment.
The colors around me affect my mood too! I find that an explosive of color, like bright neon hues, helps me feel energized when I need to stay awake during the night for some extra work. But for self-care, especially before bed, deep and rich shades of blue and dark purple are soothing colors which help with relaxation.

As for plant therapy, it's amazing how little pockets of green can transform any room into a relaxing sanctuary. They provide such a calm and welcoming aura, and the thoughtfulness of tending to another life is heartwarming too.
It's the little things that count - natural light and a simple houseplant tend to brighten up the mood instantly! It's amazing how something so subtle can lift our spirits.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu