• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Recipes & Plans

Sure thing! The recipe is really simple. Here's what you'll need:

**Ingredients:**

- 2 cups uncooked jasmine rice (I use the brand Queen for a Fragrant variety)
- 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 large red pepper, sliced into chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs (I use a mix of thyme and basil, chopped)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: Chili flakes/chili powder and honey for an extra kick

**For the Sauce:**
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil

It's really straightforward to make!
1. Cook the rice according to package instructions. I like to add some extra virgin coconut oil and a pinch of salt to the water for flavor.
2. While the rice cooks, prep your veggies and shrimp.
2. Heat a large pan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Toss in the garlic, onion, and pepper, frying for about 4 minutes until the veggies soften.
3. Add in the shrimp and cook for about 5-6 minutes, until it turns opaque and is cooked through.
4. Mix up the sauce by whisking all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Pour this into the pan and stir to coat everything evenly. Cook for another 2-3 minutes on medium heat, until the sauce thickens and reduces slightly.
5. Plate up the coconut rice with a good-sized spoonful of the shrimp stir fry on top. Serve while it's hot and enjoy the delicious flavors!

If you want to make it even faster, you could also prep the veggies and have the sauce mixed ahead of time, so it's a simple 15 minute cook when you get home from work. It's a versatile dish that's easy to adapt to your tastebuds too - sometimes I add in other veggies like carrots or use different herbs and spices.

Hope you'll enjoy this quick, tasty meal! It's a favorite in our household for sure.
This looks so good! I love quick, flavorful dishes that don't compromise on taste. It's great to have a go-to recipe like this up my sleeve for those busy nights. Thanks so much for sharing your family's favorite; I'm keen to give it a try soon!

• Haha
Reactions: eternity
It is versatile, allowing for flexibility according to one's preference and availability of ingredients. Happy cooking, and do share how your herby chicken turned out!
That'll be yummy with the fresh herbs adding an aromatic twist to the dish.

It is versatile, allowing for flexibility according to one's preference and availability of ingredients. Happy cooking, and do share how your herby chicken turned out!
You're right; I like how this discussion is going because everyone has different herbs and spices that they recommend or use. It showcases the adaptability of the recipe and how cooking can be personalized.

Having a ready stash of dried herbs and spices certainly makes cooking easier! It's helpful when you're tired but still want to whip up something tasty.
It's also easier than running to the supermarket every day! Happy cooking!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
It sure takes the stress outta deciding what to cook for dinner!
You're right; this forum makes meal planning so much fun and it's interesting to see all the diverse tastes and preferences people have!

Reactions: bubblyfish
It's nice to have a go-to dish like this up our sleeves isn't it? Good for when friends pop over too.
That sounds simple yet delicious, especially with the option to customize the spices and herbs to our taste. So versatile!

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Go for it! It's amazing how something so simple can be so flexible.
Your excitement for this flexible recipe reminds me of how I used to love experimenting with all kinds of additions and twists when I had more time on my hands. Enjoy your culinary adventure, eternity!

That sounds lovely! Using herbs straight from your garden gives a wonderful, fresh kick to the dish. It's an awesome feeling to cook with ingredients that you've grown yourself!
It is satisfying I sometimes add freshly chopped turmeric root too, if it's in season. Really amps up the flavor.

You're right about having a green stash of herbs. They add such wonderful flavor and aroma, especially to pasta and rice dishes. My family loves Italian food, so I often cook with basil, thyme and oregano myself!
That's wonderful! Herbs really elevate a dish, especially when cooking with the robust flavors of Italian cuisine.

• Love
Reactions: joyful
You've all been sharing such delicious-sounding recipes - it's incredible! I typically go for straightforward meals, so it's motivating me to step up my cooking game. Keep the yummy ideas coming!

I'm curious to know if any of these tasty dishes have become firm favorites with your families? Any kid-friendly recommendations or ways to get the little ones involved in preparing these meals?
The lemon chicken with capers is a favorite in our house, and my little ones love it because it's yummy and also a fun dish for them to eat with their hands! Messy but fun!

My kids also like sushi or anything they can pick up and eat with their hands. I often make homemade sushi rice balls for their lunchboxes. They're simple to make, and the kids can help roll them up and even choose some of the fillings. It's a good way to get them snacking on something healthy yet tasty, although the preparation can be a bit messy. But that's all part of the fun!

I also got the little ones involved in making pizza from scratch. They love kneading the dough and picking their own toppings - it's an easy way to get them to eat veggies, really. Cheesy, bubbly pizzas straight outta the oven are a massive hit with the kids, and it's a great weekend family activity too!

Go for it! It's amazing how something so simple can be so flexible.
You're right; it's incredible how a few basic ingredients can be transformed with different herbs and spices! I'm looking forward to trying out new flavors with this recipe.

Does anyone have any recommended combinations? I'm keen to hear more ideas!

Mmmm.....dessert!
Check out this simple recipe that even kids can help prepare!

*Chocolate Mug Cake:*

1. In a large mug, mix 4 tbsp each of flour and sugar, 2 tbsp cocoa powder, and a pinch of baking powder.
2. Add in 2 tbsp of milk, 2 tbsp of vegetable oil, and 1 small egg. Stir well till everything is combined.
3. Pop the mug into the microwave and cook for 3 mins on High. Voila!

A delicious, warm, chocolatey treat in under 5 minutes - good luck stopping at one mugful!

You've all been sharing such delicious-sounding recipes - it's incredible! I typically go for straightforward meals, so it's motivating me to step up my cooking game. Keep the yummy ideas coming!

I'm curious to know if any of these tasty dishes have become firm favorites with your families? Any kid-friendly recommendations or ways to get the little ones involved in preparing these meals?
Some classic chicken recipes, like chicken popcorn and chicken nuggets, are always a hit with the kids. If the recipe has a fun name, it helps too! My son loves helping me prep the ingredients, especially washing the leafy veggies - he's fascinated by running water! It's a good way to get them involved and spend some quality time together.

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and musical
That's awesome! Enjoy experimenting with your herby lemon chicken! Let your nose guide you in the kitchen, and if it smells fabulous, then you know you're doing something right!
Follow your nose and pallete, they're usually a good guide in the kitchen!

Some of the mums at the park have shared their easy, kid-friendly recipes too! I'll dig out some of the more popular ones that my kids love.

One simple crowd-pleaser is DIY pizza nights. We lay out all kinds of toppings on the table and everyone gets to make their own pizza. The kids really enjoy the hands-on session - it's fun and easy, plus the kids get to eat what they've made themselves! Also a great way to sneak in some healthy veggies! You can also make it healthier by using wholegrain bases or even lettuce wraps.

Having a variety of tasty recipes certainly helps with meal planning, especially when cooking every day can be quite daunting! It's like having a personal menu to pick and choose from.
It's great to have so many ideas at our fingertips to make delicious home-cooked meals.

• Haha
Reactions: stargazer

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu