• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting multiples - twin, triplet (or more!) challenges & joys

Life with multiple young children sounds both exhausting and entertaining! @luciana, what do you think is the most difficult aspect of parenting multiples? And is there anything that makes it all worthwhile, besides the cute little surprises and plots they cook up?
The most challenging part would probably be the exhaustion from running after two lively kids with opposite needs and demands, especially when they were younger and needed more hands-on care. It's hard to divide yourself between two children who need your attention at the same time - that elusive 'quality time' becomes a real challenge!

As they grow older, I think managing their different personalities and ensuring their individual needs are met becomes a bigger hurdle. It's tricky to navigate, especially when one child may have additional needs or develop issues with self-esteem, for instance. Comparing their progress and achievements can be unavoidable, and you always want the best for both of them.

But that's also what makes it all worthwhile - seeing them grow into their unique selves and supporting each other through it all. There's a special kind of love between twins that's really heartwarming to witness. When they embrace or defend each other spontaneously, it's a beautiful reminder that the bond they share is extra special. Those little displays of affection are what make it all worth it!

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
The most challenging part would probably be the exhaustion from running after two lively kids with opposite needs and demands, especially when they were younger and needed more hands-on care. It's hard to divide yourself between two children who need your attention at the same time - that elusive 'quality time' becomes a real challenge!

As they grow older, I think managing their different personalities and ensuring their individual needs are met becomes a bigger hurdle. It's tricky to navigate, especially when one child may have additional needs or develop issues with self-esteem, for instance. Comparing their progress and achievements can be unavoidable, and you always want the best for both of them.

But that's also what makes it all worthwhile - seeing them grow into their unique selves and supporting each other through it all. There's a special kind of love between twins that's really heartwarming to witness. When they embrace or defend each other spontaneously, it's a beautiful reminder that the bond they share is extra special. Those little displays of affection are what make it all worth it!
That's really insightful, thank you for sharing! The challenges certainly sound like they shape an unforgettable experience. Parents of twins often get asked whether their children receive different treatments, so my next question would be: do you strive to treat them equally, and is that a difficult balancing act? Or is it more natural for you to accommodate their individual differences?

That's really insightful, thank you for sharing! The challenges certainly sound like they shape an unforgettable experience. Parents of twins often get asked whether their children receive different treatments, so my next question would be: do you strive to treat them equally, and is that a difficult balancing act? Or is it more natural for you to accommodate their individual differences?
You're right; people are curious about parenting multiples! In some ways, it's instinctive to want to treat them fairly, which can mean giving equal attention or resources. But on the other hand, as you mentioned, each child has different needs, and I find myself naturally catering to those differences. I think maintaining that balance is an art - one that I'm still learning!
I try not to compare them too much, but it's unavoidable at times. And when I do, I remind myself that the 'special treatment' one might receive in a particular area is balanced out by the other's strengths or opportunities. They have different interests and skills, after all. So rather than treat them exactly equally, I focus on nurturing their individual talents and passions, which often differs.

You're right; people are curious about parenting multiples! In some ways, it's instinctive to want to treat them fairly, which can mean giving equal attention or resources. But on the other hand, as you mentioned, each child has different needs, and I find myself naturally catering to those differences. I think maintaining that balance is an art - one that I'm still learning!
I try not to compare them too much, but it's unavoidable at times. And when I do, I remind myself that the 'special treatment' one might receive in a particular area is balanced out by the other's strengths or opportunities. They have different interests and skills, after all. So rather than treat them exactly equally, I focus on nurturing their individual talents and passions, which often differs.
You've got a good point about focusing on their individual talents - it's a great way to encourage their unique skills and personalities! I guess the key is ensuring they both feel loved and supported in their own ways. Thanks for sharing your experiences! Any adorable or funny stories you'd like to add while we're at it? 😊

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
You've got a good point about focusing on their individual talents - it's a great way to encourage their unique skills and personalities! I guess the key is ensuring they both feel loved and supported in their own ways. Thanks for sharing your experiences! Any adorable or funny stories you'd like to add while we're at it? 😊
As parents of twins, we've got loads of cute stories of their antics! They used to play this adorable game where they'd hide from each other around the house and then jump out to 'boo' the other. It started as a game when they were learning to walk, tottering around the corners to surprise their sibling. Even now, years later, they sometimes revisit this game, running around the house shrieking with laughter. They seek each other out and plan these little boo attacks, giggling uncontrollably when they finally jump out. It's so sweet to watch.
There's also a lot of mischievousness when they gang up on us parents, especially when it comes to minor disobedience. They'll devise secret codes to communicate plans for minor revolts - switching off the lights when it's bedtime or convincing each other to eat ice cream for dinner! It's hard to stay mad at them because they're so cute and obviously delighted with their little conspiracies.

As parents of twins, we've got loads of cute stories of their antics! They used to play this adorable game where they'd hide from each other around the house and then jump out to 'boo' the other. It started as a game when they were learning to walk, tottering around the corners to surprise their sibling. Even now, years later, they sometimes revisit this game, running around the house shrieking with laughter. They seek each other out and plan these little boo attacks, giggling uncontrollably when they finally jump out. It's so sweet to watch.
There's also a lot of mischievousness when they gang up on us parents, especially when it comes to minor disobedience. They'll devise secret codes to communicate plans for minor revolts - switching off the lights when it's bedtime or convincing each other to eat ice cream for dinner! It's hard to stay mad at them because they're so cute and obviously delighted with their little conspiracies.
Their imaginative play has also been a real delight. They create these elaborate storylines where they act out heroes rescuing each other from imaginary dangers. Caped crusaders in their own world!

Their imaginative play has also been a real delight. They create these elaborate storylines where they act out heroes rescuing each other from imaginary dangers. Caped crusaders in their own world!
Yes, it's wonderful to observe how their imaginations run wild! My twins also love creating their make-believe stories and playing out scenarios with their toys and friends. I love how inventive they get with their play, coming up with all sorts of creative games. It's a fun way for them to explore different roles and situations.

Yes, it's wonderful to observe how their imaginations run wild! My twins also love creating their make-believe stories and playing out scenarios with their toys and friends. I love how inventive they get with their play, coming up with all sorts of creative games. It's a fun way for them to explore different roles and situations.
Parenting multiples sure sounds like an exciting, fun-filled adventure! Thanks for sharing everyone. :)

Parenting multiples sure sounds like an exciting, fun-filled adventure! Thanks for sharing everyone. :)
Yes it has been a joyful ride! Watching them grow up with each other as constant companions is truly special.

Yes it has been a joyful ride! Watching them grow up with each other as constant companions is truly special.
It's heartwarming to see the strong bond they develop with each other too.

it's lovely seeing the deep attachment they have for each other - a true gift of multiples!
the close bond is definitely a beautiful gift of multiples. The way they've got each other's backs is truly comforting as a parent.

the close bond is definitely a beautiful gift of multiples. The way they've got each other's backs is truly comforting as a parent.
The twins' special connection brings so much joy and a sense of security, doesn't it? It's like having an instant best friend! But along with it comes the challenge of managing their emotions when one is down and picks a fight with the other. Dealing with their intense feelings can be quite the rollercoaster!

The twins' special connection brings so much joy and a sense of security, doesn't it? It's like having an instant best friend! But along with it comes the challenge of managing their emotions when one is down and picks a fight with the other. Dealing with their intense feelings can be quite the rollercoaster!
You've described the highs and lows of parenting multiples so accurately! That emotional rollercoaster can be tiring, especially when they have melt downs at the same time. It's draining to navigate those waters, comforting one while keeping the other calm. But seeing them embrace each other in comfort is a wonderful sight and makes it all worth it.

You've described the highs and lows of parenting multiples so accurately! That emotional rollercoaster can be tiring, especially when they have melt downs at the same time. It's draining to navigate those waters, comforting one while keeping the other calm. But seeing them embrace each other in comfort is a wonderful sight and makes it all worth it.
You're spot on - the simultaneous meltdowns are exhausting! But the tender moments between them make everything so much sweeter.

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
You're spot on - the simultaneous meltdowns are exhausting! But the tender moments between them make everything so much sweeter.
Have you found that your multiples tend to have very different personalities or quite similar ones? It's interesting to see how their characters develop and if/how they influence each other.

Have you found that your multiples tend to have very different personalities or quite similar ones? It's interesting to see how their characters develop and if/how they influence each other.
That's an interesting observation, bubblyfish!
My twins do have distinct personalities - one's a real leader, confident and chatty. The other is shyer but also quiet and observing. While they have their differences, they also share many similarities and show concern for each other. They've both influenced each other greatly in various ways. For instance, the quieter one has become more outgoing with the other encouraging him to step out of his shell, while the leader learns empathy and patience, having an attentive listener and observer by her side.

That's an interesting observation, bubblyfish!
My twins do have distinct personalities - one's a real leader, confident and chatty. The other is shyer but also quiet and observing. While they have their differences, they also share many similarities and show concern for each other. They've both influenced each other greatly in various ways. For instance, the quieter one has become more outgoing with the other encouraging him to step out of his shell, while the leader learns empathy and patience, having an attentive listener and observer by her side.
That's sweet how they balance and impact each other positively. It's fascinating how they develop distinct personalities yet remain so interconnected!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
That's sweet how they balance and impact each other positively. It's fascinating how they develop distinct personalities yet remain so interconnected!
It's fascinating Each with their own unique strengths that often complement one another. It's heartwarming to witness how they lean on each other.

It's fascinating Each with their own unique strengths that often complement one another. It's heartwarming to witness how they lean on each other.
It's interesting to observe the dynamic of multiple relationships, whether identical or not. The connection and dependence between them is a beautiful thing Multiple parenting is such a unique adventure! (no pun intended )

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu