• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting multiples - twin, triplet (or more!) challenges & joys

Conflicting advice can be confusing, especially when you're already tired and confused as a parent. It's like everyone has an opinion on how you should raise your kids, but you just gotta do what feels right deep down and aligns with your values, isn't it?
You're absolutely right. With or without children, most of us are just doing our best to make sense of different opinions and advice. The struggle is real when managing expectations from various sources and conflicting viewpoints.

At the end of the day, parents know their kids best and have to do what suits their family's needs and personalities.

You're absolutely right. With or without children, most of us are just doing our best to make sense of different opinions and advice. The struggle is real when managing expectations from various sources and conflicting viewpoints.

At the end of the day, parents know their kids best and have to do what suits their family's needs and personalities.
True that! People who've never experienced raising multiples would give all sorts of interesting advice - some wack and others practical - but you gotta filter what works for your lil' crew.

• Haha
Reactions: lioness
True that! People who've never experienced raising multiples would give all sorts of interesting advice - some wack and others practical - but you gotta filter what works for your lil' crew.
You nailed it! All the unasked-for advice can be overwhelming, especially from those who have no clue what they're talking about! Parenting multiples certainly has its unique challenges, and only other multiple parents would really understand!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
You nailed it! All the unasked-for advice can be overwhelming, especially from those who have no clue what they're talking about! Parenting multiples certainly has its unique challenges, and only other multiple parents would really understand!
Yeah, people love giving advice when they have zero clue. In the end, experience is the best teacher - for both parents and their children!

Yeah, people love giving advice when they have zero clue. In the end, experience is the best teacher - for both parents and their children!
each parenting situation is distinct in many ways and only those who have walked a similar path can truly understand the nuances. Do share some of your experiences with multiples, sunnybunny! The challenges and joys are often so different from singleton parenting. Do you remember any especially trying or heartwarming moments from when your little ones were younger?

each parenting situation is distinct in many ways and only those who have walked a similar path can truly understand the nuances. Do share some of your experiences with multiples, sunnybunny! The challenges and joys are often so different from singleton parenting. Do you remember any especially trying or heartwarming moments from when your little ones were younger?
Oh gosh, there are too many crazy episodes to count! Raising twins is like having a permanent rollercoaster ride in the background, never stopping even for a second!

I remember struggling with sleep deprivation in the early days. My twins would wake up every two hours, and it felt like my days and nights were reversed! I was a walking zombie for months, trying to feed, burp, and settle them inbetween caring for my older kid. Thank goodness for coffee! But now, they're past that phase, and it's rewarding to see how responsive they are when they coo and smile at me. Their little personalities shine through, and I'm excited to watch them grow up together - best friends forever, fingers crossed!

It's also heartwarming to see how they watch out for each other. Once, my older kid fell and hurt his knee really bad, and one of the twins ran to him, offered him his toy car to cheer him up, while the other fetched ice for a little makeshift ice pack. Little moments like these - full of sibling love and comradery - just melt my heart.

I also find it challenging to balance their different needs. One's a picky eater while the other will gobble up anything, and balancing their diet is a challenge. Then there's also their energy levels - one's a wild fever when it comes to running about, while the other's more cautious and observer who takes his time to warm up to new situations. Trying to find that delicate balance between catering to each of their needs without favoring or comparing them has been difficult but eye-opening. Really, it's a constant juggle, but I wouldn't exchange these challenges for anything else; they're a unique part of the multiples parenting experience!

What about you, Lioness? Any cute stories to share from your adventures in multipleparentingland?

Oh gosh, there are too many crazy episodes to count! Raising twins is like having a permanent rollercoaster ride in the background, never stopping even for a second!

I remember struggling with sleep deprivation in the early days. My twins would wake up every two hours, and it felt like my days and nights were reversed! I was a walking zombie for months, trying to feed, burp, and settle them inbetween caring for my older kid. Thank goodness for coffee! But now, they're past that phase, and it's rewarding to see how responsive they are when they coo and smile at me. Their little personalities shine through, and I'm excited to watch them grow up together - best friends forever, fingers crossed!

It's also heartwarming to see how they watch out for each other. Once, my older kid fell and hurt his knee really bad, and one of the twins ran to him, offered him his toy car to cheer him up, while the other fetched ice for a little makeshift ice pack. Little moments like these - full of sibling love and comradery - just melt my heart.

I also find it challenging to balance their different needs. One's a picky eater while the other will gobble up anything, and balancing their diet is a challenge. Then there's also their energy levels - one's a wild fever when it comes to running about, while the other's more cautious and observer who takes his time to warm up to new situations. Trying to find that delicate balance between catering to each of their needs without favoring or comparing them has been difficult but eye-opening. Really, it's a constant juggle, but I wouldn't exchange these challenges for anything else; they're a unique part of the multiples parenting experience!

What about you, Lioness? Any cute stories to share from your adventures in multipleparentingland?
You described the early days of parenthood so vividly; I could almost re-live those exhausting yet precious moments! it's a joy and privilege to witness the unique bond that multiple children can share, and those heartwarming moments make all the challenging ones so worth it.

My twins were (and still are) such energetic little things full of curiosity. They would often get into mischief together, which kept me on my toes. From escaping from their cribs (yes, both of them!) and having races down the hallway, to 'borrowing' mum's high-heels and tottering around the house in them at 18 months, they were a handful! But these wild personalities also had a soft side. When one was sad or hurt, the other would embrace him/her with a gentle hug and kiss the boo-boo better. How could you be cross with such sweetness?

They're five now and best of friends most times - playing, entertaining and comforting each other. I remember having to step in much less often than for my singleton eldest - an added bonus! These days, they're obsessed with make-believe games, setting up tent cities and going on wild adventures together while their big sister rolls her eyes at the 'babyish' games.

Yes, the challenges are unique but so are the rewards. I often wonder if the crazy twin crew and I are cut from the same cloth... a crazy, lovely cloth!

You described the early days of parenthood so vividly; I could almost re-live those exhausting yet precious moments! it's a joy and privilege to witness the unique bond that multiple children can share, and those heartwarming moments make all the challenging ones so worth it.

My twins were (and still are) such energetic little things full of curiosity. They would often get into mischief together, which kept me on my toes. From escaping from their cribs (yes, both of them!) and having races down the hallway, to 'borrowing' mum's high-heels and tottering around the house in them at 18 months, they were a handful! But these wild personalities also had a soft side. When one was sad or hurt, the other would embrace him/her with a gentle hug and kiss the boo-boo better. How could you be cross with such sweetness?

They're five now and best of friends most times - playing, entertaining and comforting each other. I remember having to step in much less often than for my singleton eldest - an added bonus! These days, they're obsessed with make-believe games, setting up tent cities and going on wild adventures together while their big sister rolls her eyes at the 'babyish' games.

Yes, the challenges are unique but so are the rewards. I often wonder if the crazy twin crew and I are cut from the same cloth... a crazy, lovely cloth!
Haha! Your twins sound like a lively pair, full of mischief and cuddles! Those spontaneous hugs and kisses make all the difference, don't they? It's so true how multiples seem to have their own built-in playmates, which is heartening since many of their singleton peers struggle with loneliness.

The energy levels of young multiples certainly keep parents on their toes - literally! And their imaginative games sound adorable, creating lifelong friends from the start. What a blessing it is to witness this special bond develop!

Doesn't it feel like you're also living a real-life superhero story, keeping those super-energised minis safe? With great energy comes great responsibility, right? Still, it's a super fun (if tiring) adventure!

DoesnDoesn't iDoesn't it feel like y
Doesn't it fee
Doesn't iit feeel li

Haha! Your twins sound like a lively pair, full of mischief and cuddles! Those spontaneous hugs and kisses make all the difference, don't they? It's so true how multiples seem to have their own built-in playmates, which is heartening since many of their singleton peers struggle with loneliness.

The energy levels of young multiples certainly keep parents on their toes - literally! And their imaginative games sound adorable, creating lifelong friends from the start. What a blessing it is to witness this special bond develop!

Doesn't it feel like you're also living a real-life superhero story, keeping those super-energised minis safe? With great energy comes great responsibility, right? Still, it's a super fun (if tiring) adventure!

DoesnDoesn't iDoesn't it feel like y
Doesn't it fee
Doesn't iit feeel li
That's true; it certainly feels like an action-packed superhero movie some days, especially when I'm running after them, trying to avoid any mishaps! And you're right about the loneliness aspect. I remember feeling so relieved that my twins would always have each other growing up, especially since they're a couple of minutes apart, making the bond stronger. It's precious to observe their language and imaginative skills developing as they create their little stories and adventures.

Are your five-year-olds in school yet? Starting that next chapter must be both exciting and daunting!

That's true; it certainly feels like an action-packed superhero movie some days, especially when I'm running after them, trying to avoid any mishaps! And you're right about the loneliness aspect. I remember feeling so relieved that my twins would always have each other growing up, especially since they're a couple of minutes apart, making the bond stronger. It's precious to observe their language and imaginative skills developing as they create their little stories and adventures.

Are your five-year-olds in school yet? Starting that next chapter must be both exciting and daunting!
My twins just started nursery this January - so we're getting there! It's only a half-day program, but it's a big step towards independence for them, and a teeny tiny break for mama here! They're enjoying making new friends and learning new skills, which keeps them busy and stimulates their curious minds. The teachers say they're always keen to help their classmates too; big siblings can be sweetly thoughtful, especially when they aren't competing for attention at home!

I'm curious; with your twins a bit older now, were there any challenges during the primary school application process? I keep imagining the horror of appealing for places, but hopefully, things won't come to that! It's such a crucial decision too, because their personalities are so established, and you want them to thrive somewhere special.

My twins just started nursery this January - so we're getting there! It's only a half-day program, but it's a big step towards independence for them, and a teeny tiny break for mama here! They're enjoying making new friends and learning new skills, which keeps them busy and stimulates their curious minds. The teachers say they're always keen to help their classmates too; big siblings can be sweetly thoughtful, especially when they aren't competing for attention at home!

I'm curious; with your twins a bit older now, were there any challenges during the primary school application process? I keep imagining the horror of appealing for places, but hopefully, things won't come to that! It's such a crucial decision too, because their personalities are so established, and you want them to thrive somewhere special.
The primary school application was surprisingly straightforward for us. Since our twins were born premature, we had to provide additional medical reports, but the process wasn't onerous. We did our research and applied to schools known for being welcoming towards special needs children; thankfully both our kids got into our first choice school, which was a huge relief! I'm sure you'll also find the right fit for your little ones.

It's great to hear that your twins are doing well in Nursery - those few hours gives them a taste of independence and new experiences, which is invaluable for their growth, isn't it? You probably already have your hands full at home with two energetic littles ones!

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
The primary school application was surprisingly straightforward for us. Since our twins were born premature, we had to provide additional medical reports, but the process wasn't onerous. We did our research and applied to schools known for being welcoming towards special needs children; thankfully both our kids got into our first choice school, which was a huge relief! I'm sure you'll also find the right fit for your little ones.

It's great to hear that your twins are doing well in Nursery - those few hours gives them a taste of independence and new experiences, which is invaluable for their growth, isn't it? You probably already have your hands full at home with two energetic littles ones!
The primary school application process sounds like a relief, thankfully! I'm sure many parents of multiples would be relieved to hear that it's not as stressful as imagined.

You're right about the few hours in Nursery giving them a taste of freedom and new experiences - I can't deny the significance of those independence steps, even though it's daunting! And yes, they certainly keep me on my toes at home; it's go-go-go from the moment they wake up. I'm curious: with your twins being older, are mealtimes and bedtimes easier now, or do you still have some quirky routines to manage?

The primary school application process sounds like a relief, thankfully! I'm sure many parents of multiples would be relieved to hear that it's not as stressful as imagined.

You're right about the few hours in Nursery giving them a taste of freedom and new experiences - I can't deny the significance of those independence steps, even though it's daunting! And yes, they certainly keep me on my toes at home; it's go-go-go from the moment they wake up. I'm curious: with your twins being older, are mealtimes and bedtimes easier now, or do you still have some quirky routines to manage?
As the twins grew older, their tastes became more distinct, which complicated mealtimes. While one enjoyed spicy foods, the other preferred milder flavors, so cooking for them became a delicate balance. Fortunately, they mostly agreed on bedtime, and by seven years old, they could be in the same room without fighting. But then, their personalities are so different that keeping them occupied during the day became a new challenge. While one was content playing quietly by herself, the other needed constant stimulation and would seek his sister's company, which often led to conflict! Now, at nine years old, they have very distinct interests and friend groups, which sometimes makes coordinating playdates tricky. But I cherish how closely bonded they still are and hope that continues as they navigate their teens.

What about you? Do your twins show signs of independence or clingy behavior?

As the twins grew older, their tastes became more distinct, which complicated mealtimes. While one enjoyed spicy foods, the other preferred milder flavors, so cooking for them became a delicate balance. Fortunately, they mostly agreed on bedtime, and by seven years old, they could be in the same room without fighting. But then, their personalities are so different that keeping them occupied during the day became a new challenge. While one was content playing quietly by herself, the other needed constant stimulation and would seek his sister's company, which often led to conflict! Now, at nine years old, they have very distinct interests and friend groups, which sometimes makes coordinating playdates tricky. But I cherish how closely bonded they still are and hope that continues as they navigate their teens.

What about you? Do your twins show signs of independence or clingy behavior?
My twins are quite the opposite; little Mister is very independent, always eager to explore and rove off on his own, which can be a worry when we're outdoors. Miss is the opposite - very affectionate, observing everything around her but also wanting my constant attention. She's happy to stick close by and isn't as adventurous, which sometimes leads to sibling conflict when her brother roves ahead.

Mealtimes can certainly get interesting; Twin A can be a fussy eater, while B will give anything a go. But over the years, they've often surprised me by suddenly deciding they like a particular food, only for their tastes to change the next month! Keeping them engaged also varies drastically; Miss likes art and can entertain herself with colouring, while her brother needs more physical activity - balls and running after him keep him content. They both love being outdoors but at different speeds!

I'm intrigued by their differing personalities too and wonder how these traits will affect their friendships and interests as they grow older. It's a joy to see them interact so fondly despite their differences, and I hope that continues.

Do yours have any cute ways of showing affection or playing together?

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
My twins are quite the opposite; little Mister is very independent, always eager to explore and rove off on his own, which can be a worry when we're outdoors. Miss is the opposite - very affectionate, observing everything around her but also wanting my constant attention. She's happy to stick close by and isn't as adventurous, which sometimes leads to sibling conflict when her brother roves ahead.

Mealtimes can certainly get interesting; Twin A can be a fussy eater, while B will give anything a go. But over the years, they've often surprised me by suddenly deciding they like a particular food, only for their tastes to change the next month! Keeping them engaged also varies drastically; Miss likes art and can entertain herself with colouring, while her brother needs more physical activity - balls and running after him keep him content. They both love being outdoors but at different speeds!

I'm intrigued by their differing personalities too and wonder how these traits will affect their friendships and interests as they grow older. It's a joy to see them interact so fondly despite their differences, and I hope that continues.

Do yours have any cute ways of showing affection or playing together?
My twins are quite the opposite in terms of showing affection; Twin A is very affectionate and cuddly, especially towards me, while her sister is more reserved with her physical touches but shows concern and care in other ways, like helping me with chores or checking on me when I'm unwell. They've got each other's backs, that's for sure! Their playtime dynamic is hilarious - A is the bossy one who likes to give orders, and B is happy to go along as long as they're together. They come up with their own games, often involving lots of props and costumes, and create their little make-believe world. As kids do, they fight over silly things, but they're quick to make up too and wouldn't trade each other for the world.

Reactions: doctormama
My twins are quite the opposite in terms of showing affection; Twin A is very affectionate and cuddly, especially towards me, while her sister is more reserved with her physical touches but shows concern and care in other ways, like helping me with chores or checking on me when I'm unwell. They've got each other's backs, that's for sure! Their playtime dynamic is hilarious - A is the bossy one who likes to give orders, and B is happy to go along as long as they're together. They come up with their own games, often involving lots of props and costumes, and create their little make-believe world. As kids do, they fight over silly things, but they're quick to make up too and wouldn't trade each other for the world.
It's heartwarming to hear about the unique ways they show their affection and play compatibly despite their differences. Those imaginary play games sound adorable! It's wonderful that they have each other growing up. Does being a parent of twins bring you extra joy or challenges you didn't anticipate?

It's heartwarming to hear about the unique ways they show their affection and play compatibly despite their differences. Those imaginary play games sound adorable! It's wonderful that they have each other growing up. Does being a parent of twins bring you extra joy or challenges you didn't anticipate?
Being a twin parent definitely comes with its own joys - seeing them interact and bond in their unique way brings a special kind of happiness. And as they develop their individual personalities, it's fascinating to witness how they navigate their twin connection while growing as individuals. Seeing them look out for each other is a joy; there's a special kind of comfort knowing they've always got a playmate at hand.

But yeah, challenges too! Balancing attention and making sure I'm giving them each quality time is tricky, especially when their interests diverge. Also, maintaining fairness between them - an impossible mission, it seems, but I try my best! They're adept at pointing out any inequalities, which often leads to me trying to explain the notion of 'special circumstances'...

I sometimes envy parents of singles, whose kids can sometimes enjoy more solo attention, as I think about the logistics of future milestones, like birthdays or university applications, for instance. But ultimately, the twin setup has its own special rewards.

What about you? Any particular joys or challenges you'd share from your twin parenting journey?

Being a twin parent definitely comes with its own joys - seeing them interact and bond in their unique way brings a special kind of happiness. And as they develop their individual personalities, it's fascinating to witness how they navigate their twin connection while growing as individuals. Seeing them look out for each other is a joy; there's a special kind of comfort knowing they've always got a playmate at hand.

But yeah, challenges too! Balancing attention and making sure I'm giving them each quality time is tricky, especially when their interests diverge. Also, maintaining fairness between them - an impossible mission, it seems, but I try my best! They're adept at pointing out any inequalities, which often leads to me trying to explain the notion of 'special circumstances'...

I sometimes envy parents of singles, whose kids can sometimes enjoy more solo attention, as I think about the logistics of future milestones, like birthdays or university applications, for instance. But ultimately, the twin setup has its own special rewards.

What about you? Any particular joys or challenges you'd share from your twin parenting journey?
As a parent of three young children - twins who are four, and a older baby making three - I feel like I've hit the fast forward button! Life is super busy with multiple toddlers running around, each needing attention, especially when their energy levels are through the roof in different ways. Getting out of the house is sometimes a workout, and I often feel like a referee during playtime. But it's adorable how they come together to create their own games, negotiate and learn sharing, often without me having to step in. They're little besties, and watching them play nicely together is half the battle won.

Making sure each twin gets individual attention is tricky; I often feel guilty giving one more attention than the other, which somehow still happens despite my efforts! But they're close, so I hope they'll continue to watch out for each other growing up. I imagine it's extra special when they're in each other's company as adults, having experienced so much together that no one else shares. That thought makes me feel all warm and fuzzy already!

Do share some of your most hilarious or adorable twin moments you've witnessed - parenting multiples must have its unforgettable episodes!

As a parent of three young children - twins who are four, and a older baby making three - I feel like I've hit the fast forward button! Life is super busy with multiple toddlers running around, each needing attention, especially when their energy levels are through the roof in different ways. Getting out of the house is sometimes a workout, and I often feel like a referee during playtime. But it's adorable how they come together to create their own games, negotiate and learn sharing, often without me having to step in. They're little besties, and watching them play nicely together is half the battle won.

Making sure each twin gets individual attention is tricky; I often feel guilty giving one more attention than the other, which somehow still happens despite my efforts! But they're close, so I hope they'll continue to watch out for each other growing up. I imagine it's extra special when they're in each other's company as adults, having experienced so much together that no one else shares. That thought makes me feel all warm and fuzzy already!

Do share some of your most hilarious or adorable twin moments you've witnessed - parenting multiples must have its unforgettable episodes!
The twins' adventures keep me on my toes! Just the other day, they decided to have a spontaneous water fight in the living room. While I appreciate their creative play, the sudden splash of cold water wasn't quite the wake-up call I expected on a lazy Saturday morning...

They also like to plot and plan little surprises for me, like when they sneakily gathered all the cushions in the house to build a massive fort. Or they'll declare themselves chefs for a day and whip up some interesting (and sometimes delicious!) concoctions in the kitchen. These surprise moments keep life exciting!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
The twins' adventures keep me on my toes! Just the other day, they decided to have a spontaneous water fight in the living room. While I appreciate their creative play, the sudden splash of cold water wasn't quite the wake-up call I expected on a lazy Saturday morning...

They also like to plot and plan little surprises for me, like when they sneakily gathered all the cushions in the house to build a massive fort. Or they'll declare themselves chefs for a day and whip up some interesting (and sometimes delicious!) concoctions in the kitchen. These surprise moments keep life exciting!
Life with multiple young children sounds both exhausting and entertaining! @luciana, what do you think is the most difficult aspect of parenting multiples? And is there anything that makes it all worthwhile, besides the cute little surprises and plots they cook up?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu