• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting multiples - twin, triplet (or more!) challenges & joys

As a parent of multiples, I can definitely relate to the unique challenges you've described! The constant juggle to meet the needs of two distinct personalities can be draining.

My twins, when younger, would often find creative ways to declare their independence - and frequently succeeded in giving me gray hairs! They'd take turns being "good" and "naughty," leaving me clueless as to what had gotten into them. One would sweetly ask for water, and the other would simultaneously knock over a potted plant nearby.

Ensuring they received personalized attention was a challenge, especially with two strong-willed children who often demanded it simultaneously. I found that creating specific "special time" slots for each kid helped alleviate some of the tension. Even short moments dedicated to one-on-one playtime or activities they enjoyed made a difference, though it required military-style planning and time management!

Do you have any insights on handling those tricky sibling dynamics?
I agree that individualized attention is key! I've found that having "special time" slots works wonders, too - even if it's just 15 minutes of focused play or a quick cuddle sesh. That one-on-one bondin' time helps ease some of the sibling rivalry and makes each kid feel seen.

But I gotta be honest - keeping up with their different personalities and interests can be exhausting. My older one is super into dance and loves to twirl around the house, while the younger twin keeps begging us to chase him around the playground. Their latest obsession is hiding things around the house and then setting up elaborate treasure hunts for us - and let me tell ya, their clues make absolutely no sense! It's a wild ride, for sure!

I guess the only way to survive this lovely chaos is to embrace the madness and keep lots of snacks on hand. Am I right? 😅

I agree that individualized attention is key! I've found that having "special time" slots works wonders, too - even if it's just 15 minutes of focused play or a quick cuddle sesh. That one-on-one bondin' time helps ease some of the sibling rivalry and makes each kid feel seen.

But I gotta be honest - keeping up with their different personalities and interests can be exhausting. My older one is super into dance and loves to twirl around the house, while the younger twin keeps begging us to chase him around the playground. Their latest obsession is hiding things around the house and then setting up elaborate treasure hunts for us - and let me tell ya, their clues make absolutely no sense! It's a wild ride, for sure!

I guess the only way to survive this lovely chaos is to embrace the madness and keep lots of snacks on hand. Am I right? 😅
Parenting multiples definitely keeps life exciting, that's for sure! Those unpredictable and often nonsensical treasure hunts sound like a hoot. Kids really do keep us on our toes. And yes, snacks are the answer to most problems, in my experience.
Themadness and joy of it all! Snacks are the solution to so many problems, a universal peace offering!

Parenting multiples definitely keeps life exciting, that's for sure! Those unpredictable and often nonsensical treasure hunts sound like a hoot. Kids really do keep us on our toes. And yes, snacks are the answer to most problems, in my experience.
Themadness and joy of it all! Snacks are the solution to so many problems, a universal peace offering!
I think every parent of multiples has accepted the reality of snacks as a food group in their children's diet 😅!

• Love
Reactions: lioness
I think every parent of multiples has accepted the reality of snacks as a food group in their children's diet 😅!
they're a necessity! (Not a peace offering, more like a survival tool...)

some days it feels like I'm running a never-ending snack station!
Yes the logistics of keeping those little activity levels satiated is no easy feat! It's probably best not to think too deeply about the amount of snacks these energetic younguns require...

Yes the logistics of keeping those little activity levels satiated is no easy feat! It's probably best not to think too deeply about the amount of snacks these energetic younguns require...
Having multiples really does keep one on their toes, doesn't it?! The constant movement and activity never lets up. Do you have any particularly amusing tales of keeping these busy bodies occupied? Or ways to keep the chaos organised?

Reactions: mamamia
Having multiples really does keep one on their toes, doesn't it?! The constant movement and activity never lets up. Do you have any particularly amusing tales of keeping these busy bodies occupied? Or ways to keep the chaos organised?
It's definitely a challenge to keep up with their boundless energy! Keeping things interesting and organized often involves a bit of creative planning - which sometimes backfires in unpredictable kiddo ways. But hey, it's all part of the fun! I find that having a variety of outdoor and indoor activities handy helps, especially if they can be swapped out regularly to keep things fresh. Current obsession: anything related to pirates or treasure hunts, so we've got a whole treasure-themed sensory bin thing going on at the moment. It keeps them busy for bits of time...as long as the pirating 'adventures' that follow don't get too wild!

It's definitely a challenge to keep up with their boundless energy! Keeping things interesting and organized often involves a bit of creative planning - which sometimes backfires in unpredictable kiddo ways. But hey, it's all part of the fun! I find that having a variety of outdoor and indoor activities handy helps, especially if they can be swapped out regularly to keep things fresh. Current obsession: anything related to pirates or treasure hunts, so we've got a whole treasure-themed sensory bin thing going on at the moment. It keeps them busy for bits of time...as long as the pirating 'adventures' that follow don't get too wild!
Having theme weeks or months works wonders in keeping the excitement (and education!) factor up and also makes planning easier when the themes can be rotated!

Having theme weeks or months works wonders in keeping the excitement (and education!) factor up and also makes planning easier when the themes can be rotated!
That's a great idea to keep things structured! Themes are a fun way to make activities more exciting for sure.

That's a great idea to keep things structured! Themes are a fun way to make activities more exciting for sure.
Yup, keeps the little ones on their toes and guess what, changes in routine every week or month helps with their emotional development too!

Yup, keeps the little ones on their toes and guess what, changes in routine every week or month helps with their emotional development too!
It's amazing how much planning goes into keeping these little people happy, isn't it? A good, exhausting job!

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom
It's amazing how much planning goes into keeping these little people happy, isn't it? A good, exhausting job!
All this chat about multiples has definitely made me appreciate the effort that goes into parenting them - respect to all the supersized families out there! I can only imagine the work that goes into keeping everything running smoothly. You guys rock!

All this chat about multiples has definitely made me appreciate the effort that goes into parenting them - respect to all the supersized families out there! I can only imagine the work that goes into keeping everything running smoothly. You guys rock!
Haha thanks! It is a crazy, hectic journey. But then again, seeing them grow up healthy and happy makes every exhausting moment worthwhile.

Haha thanks! It is a crazy, hectic journey. But then again, seeing them grow up healthy and happy makes every exhausting moment worthwhile.
You're right; it's a real challenge to parent multiples. The chaos never stops but somehow the little memories make it all worthwhile! Does anyone here with multiples have any cute or funny stories to share? You know, to brighten our day even more!

You're right; it's a real challenge to parent multiples. The chaos never stops but somehow the little memories make it all worthwhile! Does anyone here with multiples have any cute or funny stories to share? You know, to brighten our day even more!
As the mum of four year old twins, I can't say I have any heartwarming or cute stories...per se. But here's a slightly funny and also frustrating tale that happened last week.

My twins are identical, and recently they've started to really notice and embrace their similarities, which has been adorable. Last Monday, I took them to the park, and as we were walking, a very friendly poodle wandered over to us and said hello by sniffing their feet (yes, my kids love pets!). Anyway, one of the twins giggled and said to the other, "Hey, you're wearing the same shoes as me!" And sure enough, they'd both put on each other's shoes without realizing it. They thought this was hilarious and spent the next ten minutes running around in each other's footwear, giggling maniacally. Of course, I let them have their fun, but getting them to actually put on the right shoes took some convincing later!

As the mum of four year old twins, I can't say I have any heartwarming or cute stories...per se. But here's a slightly funny and also frustrating tale that happened last week.

My twins are identical, and recently they've started to really notice and embrace their similarities, which has been adorable. Last Monday, I took them to the park, and as we were walking, a very friendly poodle wandered over to us and said hello by sniffing their feet (yes, my kids love pets!). Anyway, one of the twins giggled and said to the other, "Hey, you're wearing the same shoes as me!" And sure enough, they'd both put on each other's shoes without realizing it. They thought this was hilarious and spent the next ten minutes running around in each other's footwear, giggling maniacally. Of course, I let them have their fun, but getting them to actually put on the right shoes took some convincing later!
That's a cute and funny story Kids do the darndest things, don't they? They sure keep us on our feet (literally!) and keep life interesting.

That's a cute and funny story Kids do the darndest things, don't they? They sure keep us on our feet (literally!) and keep life interesting.
Parenting multiples must be a wild ride I'm not sure if I'd have enough energy for it, so kudos to all of you moms out there managing two or more energetic kids!

Parenting multiples must be a wild ride I'm not sure if I'd have enough energy for it, so kudos to all of you moms out there managing two or more energetic kids!
Thanks! Yeah, it's an exhilarating journey. Each day is different, and many times, challenging. But the little victories along the way make everything so worthwhile - like teaching them to tie their shoes, helping them learn to share, or getting them to eat their veggies without protests These small wins are what keep me going!

Thanks! Yeah, it's an exhilarating journey. Each day is different, and many times, challenging. But the little victories along the way make everything so worthwhile - like teaching them to tie their shoes, helping them learn to share, or getting them to eat their veggies without protests These small wins are what keep me going!
The satisfaction of reaching those milestones is so rewarding. You're right; it keeps us parents going even through the most tiring times! Does anyone have any other funny incidents involving multiples they'd like to share? Something tells me there's a lot more where that came from. 😊

• Love
Reactions: lioness

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu