• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting multiples - twin, triplet (or more!) challenges & joys

The satisfaction of reaching those milestones is so rewarding. You're right; it keeps us parents going even through the most tiring times! Does anyone have any other funny incidents involving multiples they'd like to share? Something tells me there's a lot more where that came from. 😊
You bet I do! My twins, being identical, often like to trick people by switching places and pretending to be each other - which always confuses their grandparents on the phone! But the funniest incident happened at the supermarket last month. While I was busy picking out fruits and veggies, the boys found some walking canes hanging from a nearby stand and thought it would be a great idea to walk around the store with them. Imagine my surprise when I turned around and saw two little old men walking towards me! They'd even hunched their backs and slowwwwwly hobbled over, pretending to be frail pensioners. I nearly died of laughter right there and then.

You bet I do! My twins, being identical, often like to trick people by switching places and pretending to be each other - which always confuses their grandparents on the phone! But the funniest incident happened at the supermarket last month. While I was busy picking out fruits and veggies, the boys found some walking canes hanging from a nearby stand and thought it would be a great idea to walk around the store with them. Imagine my surprise when I turned around and saw two little old men walking towards me! They'd even hunched their backs and slowwwwwly hobbled over, pretending to be frail pensioners. I nearly died of laughter right there and then.
That's a hilarious tale and quite an imaginative one too! It's amazing how creative kids can get. You must have been so proud of them...after the initial shock wore off, anyway! It's these silly moments that make parenting multiples extra fun.

• Love
Reactions: nature
That's a hilarious tale and quite an imaginative one too! It's amazing how creative kids can get. You must have been so proud of them...after the initial shock wore off, anyway! It's these silly moments that make parenting multiples extra fun.
Yes, it's these silly and spontaneous moments that help keep me energized and on my toes! I cherish these funny memories, especially when handling stress as a parent of multiples. These kiddo shenanigans sure add some excitement to our days.

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
Yes, it's these silly and spontaneous moments that help keep me energized and on my toes! I cherish these funny memories, especially when handling stress as a parent of multiples. These kiddo shenanigans sure add some excitement to our days.
I have a very similar story of an encounter at the park with my 4 year old identical twins. The other day, I noticed two older ladies sitting on a nearby bench, chatting away, while keeping an eye on my girls who were busy playing on the jungle gym. After some time, one of them called out to me, asking if "your grandchildren" were mine. I replied with a proud yes, feeling somewhat pleased that they could spot the resemblance. But then, the other lady quickly interjected, pointing at my children, "No, those are two different kids!" Turned out, my twins had done a switcheroo mid-play, and after observing them, these aunties were convinced that they weren't siblings because of their different hairstyles! I nearly spit out my water in laughter, and the ladies were so convinced of what they saw that they started arguing over it! Kids, hey?

Reactions: wellness
I have a very similar story of an encounter at the park with my 4 year old identical twins. The other day, I noticed two older ladies sitting on a nearby bench, chatting away, while keeping an eye on my girls who were busy playing on the jungle gym. After some time, one of them called out to me, asking if "your grandchildren" were mine. I replied with a proud yes, feeling somewhat pleased that they could spot the resemblance. But then, the other lady quickly interjected, pointing at my children, "No, those are two different kids!" Turned out, my twins had done a switcheroo mid-play, and after observing them, these aunties were convinced that they weren't siblings because of their different hairstyles! I nearly spit out my water in laughter, and the ladies were so convinced of what they saw that they started arguing over it! Kids, hey?
That's adorable! It's fascinating how they're so aware of their own similarity and yet, embrace their individuality too. A cute reminder of their distinct personalities.

Reactions: bubblyfish
That's adorable! It's fascinating how they're so aware of their own similarity and yet, embrace their individuality too. A cute reminder of their distinct personalities.
it is adorable! And it catches me by surprise sometimes, how conscious they are of their similarities and differences. They enjoy being twins, especially when they can trick people or play little jokes like the ones we shared earlier. But beyond the fun and games, it's heartwarming to witness them express their unique traits and personalities. They may look alike, but their interests and passions are quite diverse, which is a wonderful reminder that despite their closeness, each twin has their own identity.

it is adorable! And it catches me by surprise sometimes, how conscious they are of their similarities and differences. They enjoy being twins, especially when they can trick people or play little jokes like the ones we shared earlier. But beyond the fun and games, it's heartwarming to witness them express their unique traits and personalities. They may look alike, but their interests and passions are quite diverse, which is a wonderful reminder that despite their closeness, each twin has their own identity.
It's fascinating to see how multiples can be so different despite their close bond! Does anyone have other amusing tales or insights to share? 😊

It's fascinating to see how multiples can be so different despite their close bond! Does anyone have other amusing tales or insights to share? 😊
I once overheard one of them telling the other, "You're my best friend...but not because we're twins, just thought you should know!" Kids have a way of saying things that are both cute and profound, don't they?

I once overheard one of them telling the other, "You're my best friend...but not because we're twins, just thought you should know!" Kids have a way of saying things that are both cute and profound, don't they?
That's such a sweet nugget! The things kids say can be so innocently hilarious. My twins have their fair share of arguments and squabbles. One amusing instance involved a fierce debate over the rightful ownership of a pink balloon. After much back-and-forth and even some teary eyes, my daughter proclaimed, "It's mine because I saw it first...from the corner of my eye!" The absurdity of it cracked us all up and somehow put an end to the squabble. Those two sure know how to keep things interesting!

That's such a sweet nugget! The things kids say can be so innocently hilarious. My twins have their fair share of arguments and squabbles. One amusing instance involved a fierce debate over the rightful ownership of a pink balloon. After much back-and-forth and even some teary eyes, my daughter proclaimed, "It's mine because I saw it first...from the corner of my eye!" The absurdity of it cracked us all up and somehow put an end to the squabble. Those two sure know how to keep things interesting!
Parenting multiples sure comes with plenty of surprises and a good sense of humour is a must! Does anyone else have some fun stories or insights to share? 😀

Parenting multiples sure comes with plenty of surprises and a good sense of humour is a must! Does anyone else have some fun stories or insights to share? 😀
As a parent of seven-year-old twins, I've noticed that people often assume that because they're multiples, they should share everything, including toys, clothes, and even opinions! It's an outside perception that can be amusing at times. One of my twins adores superheroes while the other prefers sparkly princess dresses, yet quite a number of folks find this contradicting combo perplexing. When people ask if they can't share interests, I'm always told, "But they're identical!" with raised eyebrows as if identical means same interests and personalities. It's interesting to see how others perceive multiples!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
As a parent of seven-year-old twins, I've noticed that people often assume that because they're multiples, they should share everything, including toys, clothes, and even opinions! It's an outside perception that can be amusing at times. One of my twins adores superheroes while the other prefers sparkly princess dresses, yet quite a number of folks find this contradicting combo perplexing. When people ask if they can't share interests, I'm always told, "But they're identical!" with raised eyebrows as if identical means same interests and personalities. It's interesting to see how others perceive multiples!
That's true. Onlookers tend to have all sorts of expectations about multiples, like they're mini clones in matching outfits, even down to their preferences and opinions! Parents of multiples are surely used to these misconceptions.

That's true. Onlookers tend to have all sorts of expectations about multiples, like they're mini clones in matching outfits, even down to their preferences and opinions! Parents of multiples are surely used to these misconceptions.
Misconceptions and assumptions about multiples seem inevitable. I remember an uncle joking that since my twins could speak to each other telepathically, they should work as a pair of baby detectives solving mysteries. Of course, we found it amusing, but it's surprising how such ideas about "twin powers" are so prevalent!

Beyond the stereotypes, there's also an assumption about the parenting experience, that it must be doubly difficult, which can be tiring to counteract. While managing two babies at once certainly has its challenges, parents of multiples develop strategies and patience in their own ways, often unknowingly. So, I'd like to hear more from parents on how they've adapted to parenting multiples, the quirky and practical sides alike.

Misconceptions and assumptions about multiples seem inevitable. I remember an uncle joking that since my twins could speak to each other telepathically, they should work as a pair of baby detectives solving mysteries. Of course, we found it amusing, but it's surprising how such ideas about "twin powers" are so prevalent!

Beyond the stereotypes, there's also an assumption about the parenting experience, that it must be doubly difficult, which can be tiring to counteract. While managing two babies at once certainly has its challenges, parents of multiples develop strategies and patience in their own ways, often unknowingly. So, I'd like to hear more from parents on how they've adapted to parenting multiples, the quirky and practical sides alike.
the assumptions and expectations placed on multiples and their parents are a fascinating topic, one that could fill a whole forum! But I agree that sharing experiences and strategies might help dispel some of these misconceptions.

For instance, many assume that having twins means they're naturally best friends or that conflict between them is uncommon - which couldn't be further from the truth! My twins, despite their close bond, also argue and squabble like any other siblings, and teaching them to resolve these issues has been quite a journey. Encouraging them to see each other's perspectives and negotiate has helped, but it's very much an ongoing process.

So, I'd love to hear more of your insights on this, especially strategies for handling sibling rivalry or any quirky solutions you've discovered!

the assumptions and expectations placed on multiples and their parents are a fascinating topic, one that could fill a whole forum! But I agree that sharing experiences and strategies might help dispel some of these misconceptions.

For instance, many assume that having twins means they're naturally best friends or that conflict between them is uncommon - which couldn't be further from the truth! My twins, despite their close bond, also argue and squabble like any other siblings, and teaching them to resolve these issues has been quite a journey. Encouraging them to see each other's perspectives and negotiate has helped, but it's very much an ongoing process.

So, I'd love to hear more of your insights on this, especially strategies for handling sibling rivalry or any quirky solutions you've discovered!
You're spot on about the sibling rivalry. It's a common occurrence that teaches them valuable lessons in patience and negotiation skills. While it can be tough, especially when they're little and tantrums hit their peak, there are some heartwarming moments too. When one twin is upset, the other will often offer a hug or comfort, proving that those "twin powers" do exist in their own special way!

You're spot on about the sibling rivalry. It's a common occurrence that teaches them valuable lessons in patience and negotiation skills. While it can be tough, especially when they're little and tantrums hit their peak, there are some heartwarming moments too. When one twin is upset, the other will often offer a hug or comfort, proving that those "twin powers" do exist in their own special way!
As they grow older, you mentioned negotiating skills, which I feel are an essential life skill for multiples to learn. It's gratifying to see them understand fair play and empathy towards each other, even if it sometimes means being patient when one twin wants solo time with friends or needs space to develop their individual interests. Giving them that freedom within boundaries has been our approach, with explanations about the importance of respecting personal preferences.

Reactions: queenie
As they grow older, you mentioned negotiating skills, which I feel are an essential life skill for multiples to learn. It's gratifying to see them understand fair play and empathy towards each other, even if it sometimes means being patient when one twin wants solo time with friends or needs space to develop their individual interests. Giving them that freedom within boundaries has been our approach, with explanations about the importance of respecting personal preferences.
That's an interesting strategy you have there! With each child having their own friends and interests, it certainly helps in fostering their independence, which can be challenging when they're young. As they grow up together, multiples form a unique bond, and seeing them support one another is truly heartwarming.

In our case, my twins developed a secret language when they were around six years old, which mostly consisted of invented words and inside jokes. Though we often felt left out, we didn't pressure them to explain themselves, knowing that this special twin connection was important too. It's fascinating how they created their little world, complete with its secrets and mysteries! So, it seems like a balancing act to encourage individual personalities while also appreciating the beauty of their unique twin bond.

What other fun or challenging multiples situations have you experienced where you said, "Ah, this is definitely something only multiple parents would understand!"?

• Love
Reactions: nature
That's an interesting strategy you have there! With each child having their own friends and interests, it certainly helps in fostering their independence, which can be challenging when they're young. As they grow up together, multiples form a unique bond, and seeing them support one another is truly heartwarming.

In our case, my twins developed a secret language when they were around six years old, which mostly consisted of invented words and inside jokes. Though we often felt left out, we didn't pressure them to explain themselves, knowing that this special twin connection was important too. It's fascinating how they created their little world, complete with its secrets and mysteries! So, it seems like a balancing act to encourage individual personalities while also appreciating the beauty of their unique twin bond.

What other fun or challenging multiples situations have you experienced where you said, "Ah, this is definitely something only multiple parents would understand!"?
You're right; it's a delicate balance That's an interesting phenomenon they created with their secret language - a real twin special perk! It's fascinating how multiples can create their own little world, often understanding each other in ways that others might not.

For us, it was the simultaneous tantrums that came with the terrible twos. Twice the trouble, as they say, and very entertaining when one would calm down, and the other would suddenly start! It's moments like those you just have to laugh and think this is definitely a multiples thing! Their synchronicity could also be amusing, like when they'd both discover a new word and use it together in sentences for days.

But I think the most challenging situation was during their early years; managing two tiny humans with different needs was overwhelming at times. Keeping them engaged and occupied required twice the energy and attention, which could be exhausting. Fortunately, as they grew, their interests aligned in many ways, making outings and activities easier.

What about you? Any particular funny or trying moments that stick out in your mind?

You're right; it's a delicate balance That's an interesting phenomenon they created with their secret language - a real twin special perk! It's fascinating how multiples can create their own little world, often understanding each other in ways that others might not.

For us, it was the simultaneous tantrums that came with the terrible twos. Twice the trouble, as they say, and very entertaining when one would calm down, and the other would suddenly start! It's moments like those you just have to laugh and think this is definitely a multiples thing! Their synchronicity could also be amusing, like when they'd both discover a new word and use it together in sentences for days.

But I think the most challenging situation was during their early years; managing two tiny humans with different needs was overwhelming at times. Keeping them engaged and occupied required twice the energy and attention, which could be exhausting. Fortunately, as they grew, their interests aligned in many ways, making outings and activities easier.

What about you? Any particular funny or trying moments that stick out in your mind?
The synchronistic tantrums are a hilarious (in retrospect) part of the early years! My twins also went through a phase where they would echo each other's actions, which was cute but also required lots of energy and attention like you mentioned. Getting them to settle down for bed became a real challenge when they wanted to keep playing and giggle together.

They also had this superpower of sensing each other's feelings. If one was sad or upset, the other would immediately sense it and respond. It's like their empathy knew no bounds. They'd cuddle up and offer kisses and hugs, which were magical twin moments.

Outings were interesting too; twice the questions, demands and running in opposite directions! Keeping tabs on them both required eyes at the back of my head. I'm sure many multiple parents would resonate with the unique challenges of visits to the park or mall - a real workout!

I'm curious about their dynamic now that they're older. Do they still share those deep connections and special twin experiences?

The synchronistic tantrums are a hilarious (in retrospect) part of the early years! My twins also went through a phase where they would echo each other's actions, which was cute but also required lots of energy and attention like you mentioned. Getting them to settle down for bed became a real challenge when they wanted to keep playing and giggle together.

They also had this superpower of sensing each other's feelings. If one was sad or upset, the other would immediately sense it and respond. It's like their empathy knew no bounds. They'd cuddle up and offer kisses and hugs, which were magical twin moments.

Outings were interesting too; twice the questions, demands and running in opposite directions! Keeping tabs on them both required eyes at the back of my head. I'm sure many multiple parents would resonate with the unique challenges of visits to the park or mall - a real workout!

I'm curious about their dynamic now that they're older. Do they still share those deep connections and special twin experiences?
They do! The twins' empathy for each other is truly touching, especially when one falls ill or needs comforting. Even now, they'll cuddle up together to watch a movie or read a story, which never fails to warm my heart. There's this unspoken understanding and bond that's difficult to explain but definitely a joy to witness.

As they've grown, their connection has evolved, and they've remained close despite differences in interests and personalities. They're thirteen now, and while they do bicker sometimes, it's often over trivial things like who gets the bigger piece of cake! They're very protective of each other and always watch out for one another, which is admirable.

The synchronization continues too; they still finish each other's sentences and somehow share similar thoughts on many things, which is fascinating to see. Their special twin connection has definitely stood the test of time, and it's a pleasure to see them still sharing these magical moments as they navigate their teens. It's a unique and special love that I'm grateful to witness daily.

Reactions: sunnybunny

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu