• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Frugality

Shopping second hand is a great idea, especially for kids who grow out of things so quickly. I also like your strategy of bulk cooking and freezing; I do that too sometimes, though it's usually accidental when I'm cooking in large quantities haha!

My additional tip is to plan birthday parties way in advance. It gives me time to source decorations, cakes, and gifts at a discounted price or DIY them. The anticipation also builds the excitement for the special day and helps me pull off some cool but affordable celebrations.

I'm keen to hear more ideas too!
It's amazing how much effort you put into preparing for your child's birthday in advance! That's thoughtful of you. planning ahead can help with costs and the toy rotation strategy - I start by sorting the toys into different categories like sensory, imaginative play, and games, then rotate them accordingly. This method seems to keep things exciting.

I find that maintaining an inventory or a record of what we own helps a lot, especially for frequently used items like clothing or shoes. That way, you can avoid buying duplicates and maximize what you already have. Also, taking the time to research deals and discounts online saves money in the long run, especially for bigger purchases! You'll be surprised at the difference it makes.

Good one on the dollar store finds! I also like getting creative with food to make it go further. For example, making pizza from scratch is super cheap and a fun activity, especially with older kids who can help prepare the dough and toppings. One pizza base can be divided into multiple portions, and you can vary the toppings so everyone gets their favorite. It's also an easy way to get rid of leftovers!
Yes, that's true! Getting creative with food is a great way to make frugal adjustments without sacrificing fun and variety. Pizza-making is a lovely activity and a great way to finish off those ingredients in the fridge. Using different toppings is a fun way to keep things exciting too.

I also like baking batches of cookies or muffins and freezing them - they're handy snacks that can be defrosted quickly. It's especially helpful when I need to pack a quick lunch for my girl or when we're having a picnic!

Shopping second hand is a great idea, especially for kids who grow out of things so quickly. I also like your strategy of bulk cooking and freezing; I do that too sometimes, though it's usually accidental when I'm cooking in large quantities haha!

My additional tip is to plan birthday parties way in advance. It gives me time to source decorations, cakes, and gifts at a discounted price or DIY them. The anticipation also builds the excitement for the special day and helps me pull off some cool but affordable celebrations.

I'm keen to hear more ideas too!
Planning ahead for birthdays is such a wise move that can make all the difference! It's amazing how much money can be saved by being prepared and sourcing things beforehand.

Toy rotation can be fun and exciting if done right! I try to store toys in colorful boxes or bins, each containing different themes or types, like you mentioned earlier. When it's time for a toy swap, the kids help me dig out the next box, which adds to the excitement. Sometimes, I wrap the toys individually as surprise presents - the unwrapping process makes it extra fun and special!

To keep things organized, I label the storage boxes and have a simple schedule so I can plan which toys should make an appearance when. It helps that the kids love helping with the setup - it's like having a mini indoor picnic! Keeping a toy inventory is also helpful for rotation and easy packing when travelling.

Good one on the dollar store finds! I also like getting creative with food to make it go further. For example, making pizza from scratch is super cheap and a fun activity, especially with older kids who can help prepare the dough and toppings. One pizza base can be divided into multiple portions, and you can vary the toppings so everyone gets their favorite. It's also an easy way to get rid of leftovers!
Yes stretching meals and ingredients is a great way to save money without compromising taste! I often do that too, especially with recipes that allow for customization, like fried rice or pasta. Everyone in my family can pick their favorite additives, and no one gets bored of the same old flavors.

It's rewarding to involve kids in cooking, especially with homemade food like pizza where they can exercise some creative control. It's a nice break from screen time too.

Making your own pizza is a fun and tasty frugal life hack! It never occurred to me though, that it could be a creative way to finish up leftovers. I usually just end up frying them as a simple stir-fry for the kids, which they get sick of eventually.

Your method is definitely a more exciting approach to clearing leftovers, and much cheaper than eating out!

I agree that preparing homemade frozen meals is a great strategy! It's also helpful for those busy days when you don't have the energy or time to cook.

For older kids, I find that teaching them about money and encouraging them to be frugal is beneficial. My teenagers are in charge of their own allowance, and giving them insight into budgeting and smart shopping helps them understand the value of things and encourages thoughtful spending - it's a real eye-opener for them when they realize how quickly costs can add up!

What other money-saving strategies have worked well for you, especially with the ever-growing needs of kids?
That's a great idea to involve older kids in understanding money and budgeting! It's a life skill that will benefit them beyond their childhood.

As for me, an avid planner helps me keep track of expenses and avoid unnecessary costs, especially with a little one. I plot out meals for the week, make a grocery list, and stick to it. This ensures we eat well and healthily without excess food waste, which can be costly.

I also plan ahead for treats and allowances, especially when it comes to snacks and convenient food, which tend to add up quickly. With some treats planned in advance, my daughter also looks forward to them more, making them feel extra special! Additionally, I involve her in the kitchen - she enjoys cooking and eating what she has helped to make, and it's heartening to see her try new foods without fuss.

I love the idea of making homemade pizza! It's a fun and tasty way to involve older kids in cooking, and definitely a creative way to finish leftovers. I'm sure they'd feel proud to have created their own personalized pizzas!

I usually stock up on cheap but versatile ingredients like pasta and canned tomatoes. With these basics, I can whip up a quick and cheap meal by adding some frozen vegetables and spices. Sometimes I also boil eggs and keep them handy in the fridge - they're great for quick protein boosts and snack options.

Another frugal win is learning to sew and making minor clothing repairs myself. It saves me money on tailoring, and it's a useful skill too! I also take the chance to teach my older kid some basic sewing and upcycling skills. We turned an old t-shirt into a cute dress for her doll, and she was so proud of the creation!

That's a clever idea! I like how you involve the older kids in preparing the pizza dough too - it's fun and educational at the same time.

I often prepare ramen for my little ones using various ingredients I have on hand, and it's amazing how differently they taste with just some simple variations in seasonings! It's also a fun experiment for them to create their own flavor combinations. A nice little culinary adventure without the hefty price tag of eating out!

That's a yummy strategy to stretch your dollar and have fun with the family too! I sometimes do pizza or baking sessions with my students during term breaks. It's amazing how creative they get with their pizza toppings! Even plain old rice can be cooked in bulk and transformed into various dishes throughout the week - fried rice, rice balls, sushi, etc. The possibilities are endless, and it's a great way to清空 the fridge too!

creative cooking is a fun way to stretch your dollars further, pun intended! Division and multiplication of food is definitely a great way to make it more exciting too - I've done this before and it feels like magic to transform one meal into multiple varieties. Teaching kids young about stretching resources is such a helpful skill!

Are there any other resourceful mummies out there with more tips?

I agree that preparing homemade frozen meals is a great strategy! It's also helpful for those busy days when you don't have the energy or time to cook.

For older kids, I find that teaching them about money and encouraging them to be frugal is beneficial. My teenagers are in charge of their own allowance, and giving them insight into budgeting and smart shopping helps them understand the value of things and encourages thoughtful spending - it's a real eye-opener for them when they realize how quickly costs can add up!

What other money-saving strategies have worked well for you, especially with the ever-growing needs of kids?
Encouraging frugality in older kids is a great idea! Getting them involved in budgeting and teaching them about money management is an essential life skill. I agree that it's beneficial to let them make decisions regarding their allowance; they learn to prioritize what's truly important to them.

As for me, an avid reader, my frugal tip would be borrowing books from the library instead of buying them outright, especially with children's literature, which can be costly. Libraries have a plethora of stories that engage and excite young readers, nourishing their minds without breaking the bank. This way, the excitement of discovering new stories can be had without the financial burden.

Some stories stick with us, and if my son really loves a book, I might then consider buying it as a keepsake, but otherwise, libraries are a true gem for the budget-conscious parent!

Teaching kids about money and having them manage their own allowance is a great way to instill financial awareness at an early age. My take on frugality revolves mostly around making use of what we have and avoiding unnecessary purchases, which is something my five-year-old can also understand and participate in. For example, instead of buying new art supplies, we upcycle toilet rolls or cardboard boxes she no longer plays with and transform them into fun craft materials. She's also learned to identify which of her clothes still fit and are her favorites, so we donate the ones she's grown out of or doesn't like anymore. This taught her the value of giving back and also made her think twice about what she truly wants.

I also second the idea of making homemade meals exciting by getting the kids involved. Besides pizza, we sometimes make our own homemade calzones or Mexican wraps, which are affordable, fun to create, and can be customized to each person's tastes. The fun part keeps the kids engaged and stops them from nagging for takeaway!

That's a clever idea to stock up on cheap sensory play items! I also noticed that dollar stores have lots of inexpensive party decor and snacks, which can come in handy for frugal parents hosting birthday bashes. They seem to have everything you need for a fun celebration without the fancy price tag.
Yeah, I've learned to never underestimate the usefulness of dollar stores for parenting! The variety of cheap items there can really save the day (and your wallet!). But it's quite hit-or-miss, so you gotta keep an eye out during multiple visits.

That's a clever idea to stock up on cheap sensory play items! I also noticed that dollar stores have lots of inexpensive party decor and snacks, which can come in handy for frugal parents hosting birthday bashes. They seem to have everything you need for a fun celebration without the fancy price tag.
the dollar store is a parent's best friend, especially for quick last-minute celebrations! The range of items you can find there really saves the day (and your wallet!). I also agree with involving older kids in financial education; it's an important life skill that should be encouraged.

Another way I keep costs down is by reducing waste. I ensure food left overs are not thrown away by repurposing them into interesting new dishes. This teaches my children not to be wasteful and opens their minds to different foods. Over time, this saves a considerable amount of money!

Good one! I haven't thought of the Dollar Store for cheap sensory toys - will check it out!
It's definitely a worthwhile trip! The selection varies from store to store, so it's fun to discover the different treasures you can find. Plus, it's exciting to explore and curate affordable sensory bins or DIY toys. Have fun on your treasure hunt!

You are spot on about the dollar store's party supplies! It's incredible how the small toys and knick-knacks keep the kids entertained. I also discovered that secondhand bookstores can be a golden mine of treasures, especially for chapter books and classic novels that we all loved as children. They're usually in good condition and so affordable - a fraction of the price you'd pay at the regular bookstore! My kiddo loves reading, so this is a real win. 👍

Good one! I haven't thought of the Dollar Store for cheap sensory toys - will check it out!
Yes, definitely! The dollar store's a parent's best-kept secret for budget-friendly parenting wins haha. It's amazing how creative you can get with the resources available there. Plus, the low prices make it less daunting when the kids inevitably ruin or misplace some of the items! Do you have any other strategies up your sleeve?

That's right! It's amazing how a trip to the dollar store can solve your problems, especially if you're looking for affordable ways to occupy the kids. The variety of items and potential for creative play is endless inspiration for stay-at-home moms!

I agree that parenting doesn't have to cost a fortune! I've learned to get creative over the years and save quite a bit with these little adjustments.

One of my secrets is making our own snacks and treats at home, like baked goodies and fruit smoothies. Kids love helping out in the kitchen, and it's a fun way to spend time together. Plus, homemade snacks are healthier and often cheaper than store-bought ones. Win-win situation!

I also plan our weekends in advance, usually with free or low-cost activities. I involve my older child in deciding what we'll do, explaining that money doesn't grow on trees so we need to budget. It's become a fun little activity to plan together, and she now suggests cheap, creative outings! We've had some memorable staycations and adventures without breaking the bank.

For me, the key to smart parenting is making the most of what you have access to - whether it's using nearby parks or community spaces or repurposing old possessions. Kids often just need your time and creativity, not expensive toys or fancy holidays!

So mums and dads, let's hear some more affordable parenting life hacks! It's an art we could all benefit from learning! 😊
You're right; it's amazing how kids can be entertained without relying on expensive options. I think the key, as you mentioned, is often just our time and creativity.

Speaking of free entertainment, libraries are great places to visit for some quiet time and a change in environment. My son enjoys visiting libraries, especially children's sections with their cozy corners and fun storybook characters. It's a nice way to expose him to books and instill a love for reading, plus it doesn't hurt that it's free!

What other simple joys do you think parents can offer their kids without the cost?

Your DIY entertainment and outdoor adventure ideas are definitely on point! I agree that creating fun doesn't have to cost a fortune.

I'm a big fan of free community events too. Most towns or neighborhoods have their own calendar of events - from music performances to cultural festivals and kids' workshops. These offer plenty of fun experiences for the whole family, without the expense. Keeping an eye on these community boards and sharing them with other parents can save us all some money!

Also, I've found that teaching my kid basic sewing skills has been a huge help in extending the life of her clothes. She's learned to patch up holes in her knees, sew back buttons, and even embroider, which makes her clothing last longer and saves us from buying new ones frequently. It's also a fun skill for her and an opportunity to bond!

Keep the frugal insights coming!
It is amazing how much fun can be had without spending a lot of money! You're right about community events; there are so many free, fun activities around if you keep your eyes peeled.

I also want to highlight the value of borrowing - books, toys, and equipment, for example. The library is a great resource for free books and educational DVDs. Plus, it's a nice place to take the kids for some quiet, old-school entertainment. Likewise, toy libraries offer a diverse range of games and puzzles that can keep kids entertained without purchasing new ones. It's amazing how sharing and borrowing can save so much space in our homes and our wallets!

Some schools and community groups also organize toy swaps - a fantastic way to get rid of pre-loved toys your children have grown out of, and pick up some new (to you) treats! This keeps costs down and encourages more sustainable practices.

Anything else that helps keep the family fun rolling without breaking the bank? Let's continue this money-saving inspiration! 🤩

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu