• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Frugality

You're right; parenting can become costly, mostly because children grow quickly, and there's always a new need or want to attend to! Good job on being mindful of costs while also focusing on quality time with your little ones.

I particularly resonate with your point about toy rotation. I do something similar too, especially with outdoor toys which tend to be more expensive. Keeping some 'new' toys in reserve helps to maintain the excitement and extends the toy's lifespan - a smart way to ensure we get our money's worth!

What other frugal hacks have worked well for others? I'd love to hear more ideas!
There are so many creative ways to parent frugally! I think most of us have cottoned on to the hand-me-down or secondhand clothing tactic, which is a great way to save money and teach kids about sustainability and appreciation.

I've also found that making homemade playdough is an easy, cheap, and fun way to keep my kiddo entertained. It's such a simple recipe, requires only a few household ingredients, and keeps him occupied for hours. The best part is that it's an open-ended activity - you can whip up different colors of playdough and let their imaginations run wild!

Another thing I do is batch cooking on weekends. Preparation and planning are key here. It saves time and reduces the temptation to buy takeaway when you have a ready-made meal you can quickly heat up. And yes, like queenier, I also plan my grocery shopping carefully, using apps that help me compare prices, and I stock up during sales.

Anything else that folks find helpful? I'm all ears! Saving money as a parent is a virtuous cycle - you learn to be resourceful, which makes you more eco-friendly, which in turn saves the dollars!

You're right; parenting can become costly, mostly because children grow quickly, and there's always a new need or want to attend to! Good job on being mindful of costs while also focusing on quality time with your little ones.

I particularly resonate with your point about toy rotation. I do something similar too, especially with outdoor toys which tend to be more expensive. Keeping some 'new' toys in reserve helps to maintain the excitement and extends the toy's lifespan - a smart way to ensure we get our money's worth!

What other frugal hacks have worked well for others? I'd love to hear more ideas!
Toy rotation is a genius idea It's amazing how much money we can save just by being a little creative and mindful of our resources. Parenting should not be a contest on who spends the most!

Here are some other frugal tips that I've picked up over the years from like-minded mamas:

- The 'No Spend' Challenge: This is a fun one! Try going a whole month without buying any non-essential items. Plan ahead and stock up on essentials like groceries, then see how creative you can get with what you already have in the house. It's amazing what we can survive without!

- Clothing Swap Parties: Who says kids have to wear brand new outfits all the time? These little get-togethers are a great way to breathe new life into pre-loved clothing. And it's a fun social event too - bonus!

- bulk cooking and Freezing: Cook up large batches of family favourites and freeze individual portions. This saves time, money and those last minute takeaway urges! The kids also enjoy helping out with their favourite meals. Plus, it's handy for those busy days when we have zero energy left for cooking.

- 'The Dollar Store' Run: For cheap and cheerful craft supplies and random kid entertainment, these shops are a godsend! From sticker sheets to pipe cleaners, you can keep the kids entertained for hours without breaking the bank.

- The Great Outdoors: Encourage a love for nature by spending time at the park or beach. It's free, it's fun, and exhausts the kids enough for an early bedtime! You'd be surprised what educational opportunities there are too, teaching them about plants, insects and the environment.

These little hacks keep our wallets happy and encourage a more mindful approach to parenting. What other clever ways do folks keep costs down without sacrificing any fun?

There are many ways parents can save without compromising on quality family time or fun. Speaking of toy rotation, someone I knew would take it a step further by organizing a toy swap with her friends and neighbours who also have young children. This way, the kids get access to new toys every few weeks without anyone having to spend extra money, plus it's exciting for them to have some variety. It's also a great opportunity to declutter and make way for new (second hand) toys!

Another idea is to make use of loyalty points or rewards that can be exchanged for kid-friendly activities. Going somewhere fun doesn't always mean paying full price! Keep an eye out for promotions and discounts, especially during off-peak periods. Some venues offer free entry or special rates then, so it's worthwhile to plan ahead and catch these opportunities.

Anyone else have any more creative ways to save?

I find that making my children help me with the gardening is a great money-saver! They enjoy planting seeds and tending to the plants, and we end up with some nice herbs and vegetables too. It's a nice way to teach them where food comes from and spend time together outdoors. Also, secondhand bookstores are great places to find exciting new reads without breaking the bank, and it's an eco-friendly alternative to buying new books!

Some mums swear by op-shopping (thrift shopping) for kids' clothing, which is a great way to save money and introduce the concept of reusable fashion to little ones. Others plan their meals meticulously, using apps or old school notebooks to reduce grocery bills and minimize food wastage. And with the rise of minimalism, some parents are embracing the philosophy of 'less is more,' which reduces unnecessary purchases and teaches children the value of contentment.

Some parents may have the talent of transforming old clothes into stylish outfits, but not me! I rely on second-hand deals from thrift stores or community swap meets. You'll be surprised by the gems you can find hidden among the racks. It's like giving pre-loved items a second chance while saving money.

You sound like a seasoned pro at this frugal parenting game! I especially love the toy rotation idea - like giving the kids a surprise every few weeks. Also, that hand-me-down heaven is a great way to teach the young ones appreciation and sustainability values.

What other tricky strategies have you employed over the years? Do share your further insights!
My children grew up fast, and so did their tastes and preferences. When they were younger, themed events or roleplaying became our thing. A themed event didn't always mean buying new things; sometimes it was about repurposing items we already owned, which helped us avoid unnecessary purchases. For example, a superhero-themed morning with breakfast foods cut into shapes, capes made from old t-shirts - a quick and affordable setup! Roleplaying scenarios also kept them entertained with imaginative play, often with 'props' we made ourselves.

Also, learning to sew was a huge lifesaver for me! Simple stitching skills enabled me to fix torn clothing or make minor alterations instead of buying new stuff, which soon added up in savings. It's a handy skill that I passed down to my kids too - empowering them to mend their own clothes and giving them a sense of resourcefulness.

I'd be keen to hear budget-conscious parenting tips myself! It feels good to share these little hacks that make a real difference.

These are fantastic ideas that will surely resonate with other parents! I love the library idea; it's a great resource that is often underrated. It's encouraging to know that there are fun and educational ways to raise our children without breaking the bank.

Do you think some parents might be hesitant to accept second-hand or rotated toys, especially if they have the means to buy new ones? How can we overcome this mindset? After all, kids at that age might not even know the difference!
Some parents may fear that second-hand or rotated toys might look worn and shabby, especially when compared to store-bought, gleaming new ones. But I think an open discussion about sustainability and environmental awareness might help change their minds. We can educate them on the benefits of reducing waste and reusing, plus the importance of not judging a toy by its cover - it's the play value that matters most!

Toys are often loved because of the memories and experiences attached to them, not their flashy appearances. Explaining this to other parents might just convince them to embrace the budget-saving, eco-friendly approach.

You sound like a seasoned pro at this frugal parenting game! I especially love the toy rotation idea - like giving the kids a surprise every few weeks. Also, that hand-me-down heaven is a great way to teach the young ones appreciation and sustainability values.

What other tricky strategies have you employed over the years? Do share your further insights!
You're too kind! I'm just a mum who wants the best for her kids without breaking the bank. A strategy that's worked well for us is having an annual toy clear-out. We go through our son's toys and assess them - does he still play with this? Is it broken beyond repair? Keeping him involved in the process teaches him about letting go of clutter, and we donate usable ones to charities.

I also pretend shop! Sometimes I'll window shop online or browse thrift stores for cute kid's items, creating a mental (or actual) wish list. It's helped me avoid unnecessary purchases since I take time to consider each item carefully and don't splurge on impulse buys.

Additionally, the old-school entertainment never fails: trips to the library, park hopscotch sessions, even camping in the backyard - these are free or low cost, but my kiddo loves them! You'd be surprised how much fun a creative imagination can conjure without pricey distractions.

I try to keep things simple! I've learned over the years that parenting doesn't have to be fancy or extravagant to be memorable and enjoyable for my little ones. Something as straightforward as a nature scavenger hunt or a good old water balloon fight in our backyard is usually a win-win.

I also time our at-home beauty sessions, like painting nails or doing simple spa treatments, during bath time! It's a fun way to dress up the ordinary and saves me from having to set up extra activities for the day. My girls love it, and I get to relax knowing they're enjoying some good, clean fun with built-in cleaning help afterwards!

And you're right - sustainability is a great bonus to most of these hacks. I think many of us parents are learning more about wasteful habits we may have picked up ourselves as we grew up. It's an opportunity to teach our kids better by involving them in sustainable choices and practices from an early age, like reducing plastic consumption, recycling or composting at home, and refusing single-use items. It becomes a fun adventure for them and benefits the environment too - killing two birds with one stone!

It's heartening to hear other parents' tricks too; I feel like we're all in this together, learning from each other as we go along!

• Love
Reactions: nature and cissy
These are fantastic ideas that will surely resonate with other parents! I love the library idea; it's a great resource that is often underrated. It's encouraging to know that there are fun and educational ways to raise our children without breaking the bank.

Do you think some parents might be hesitant to accept second-hand or rotated toys, especially if they have the means to buy new ones? How can we overcome this mindset? After all, kids at that age might not even know the difference!
I agree that some parents may feel hesitate to give secondhand toys a chance, especially when it comes to sanitation concerns. But I think the key lies in promoting the environmental benefits of toy rotation and sustainability, which can help overcome this mindset. Explaining the concept of a "play cycle" might make it more appealing too - reusing and repurposing toys ensures they have a longer lifespan and don't end up wasted!

Some may also be worried about the potential quality difference between new and secondhand toys. But with careful selection and a thorough clean, these toys can look almost new and definitely won't disappoint. Plus, aren't kids supposed to explore and enjoy playtime without the need for brand-new gadgets anyway? It's a shift in perspective, encouraging parents to focus on the experiences and memories made rather than the cost or newer versions of the same old toy.

You're right; there is a certain appeal to giving children brand new toys, especially when one can afford it. However, I think the key lies in rebranding the concept of second-hand goods! Many parents pride themselves on teaching their children to appreciate and value money, so framing pre-loved items as "vintage" or "retro" might help.

Emphasizing the environmental benefits could also be a compelling reason to choose sustainable practices from an early age. We can explain that toy rotation helps the environment and teaches children to embrace a more eco-friendly mindset, which is a valuable life lesson.

Ultimately, it's about starting conversations with other parents and sharing our experiences. Seeing others embracing frugal living might just inspire curiosity and encourage them to join in on the fun!

I think the hesitation to accept second-hand toys could be attributed to the desire to provide the best and newest for our children, a sort of keepsake tradition, especially if we had pleasant experiences with certain toys as kids ourselves. New toys have their shiny appeal, no doubt, and some parents may worry about hygiene or whether second-hand items are unsafe.

However, I feel that sharing the concept of toy rotation could help alleviate these concerns. By explaining that these "new" toys are carefully curated and cleaned, and that the kids won't even know they're pre-loved, might ease the minds of those who are hesitant. After all, most kids don't care about the toy's history, they just want something fun and stimulating to play with!

The trick is also in presenting these reused or repurposed items excitingly, like a fun surprise for them to uncover. A fresh batch of "new" toys every few months keeps their interest going and provides an ever-changing landscape of fun.

You sound very experienced and your tips are impressive! I particularly like the toy rotation idea - very innovative I haven't tried upcycling clothes but that sounds like an interesting challenge and a good bonding activity for you and the kids. And yes, cooking meals from scratch is definitely healthier and more affordable.

What other ways do you think parents can creatively save money without compromising on quality family time?
Being frugal doesn’t mean sacrificing fun or quality time! Smart parenting involves finding creative workarounds that benefit the entire family. I have another ingenious trick up my sleeve - making DIY sensory bins! They're like little treasure boxes filled with different themed trinkets and sensory materials, which keep kids entertained for hours. You can make them on a budget with household items like rice, lentils and toys from the dollar store. The kids love exploring these mystery boxes, and it keeps their imaginations running wild. It's also an opportunity to teach them about different themes and textures. A fun, educational experience without the fancy price tag!

You sound very experienced and your tips are impressive! I particularly like the toy rotation idea - very innovative I haven't tried upcycling clothes but that sounds like an interesting challenge and a good bonding activity for you and the kids. And yes, cooking meals from scratch is definitely healthier and more affordable.

What other ways do you think parents can creatively save money without compromising on quality family time?
I sometimes sew old clothing together to create something new! It saves us money and encourages a sustainable lifestyle, especially when children are involved in the process and understand the value of second-hand items. For playtime, I keep a stash of cheap but colorful scarfs, balls, and bubbles - they're easy entertainments that tire the kids out at the park. Also, a family membership to the zoo or museum is well worth the investment; it makes for affordable weekly outings without the hassle of planning!

I reckon going the traditional route by cutting back on non-essential expenses is another smart strategy. Some ideas like making your own cleaning solutions or buying secondhand are great money-savers. DIY cleaning products are not only cost-effective but also a healthier alternative to store-bought ones, and teach children an appreciation for homemade, natural solutions. Buying secondhand is also a brilliant way to save money without compromising on quality; many items can be sourced from garage sales or online platforms and often, you'd be surprised at the great condition these pre-loved goods are in.

There are definitely more ways than one to be a savvy parent! Cutting costs on things we buy frequently can really add up and make a difference. I sometimes shop at dollar stores for basic kid essentials like coloring books, stickers, or small toys - they have a wide variety of items that keep the kids entertained for hours without putting a strain on the wallet. A little goes a long way! Also, if parents are up for it, second-hand shopping or toy swaps could be fun and budget-friendly options to consider too.

You sound like a pro at maximizing frugal living! It's great how you manage with what you have, especially by doing toy rotations and DIY projects.

I agree that bulk cooking and freezing meals is a great strategy too. I also sometimes bake healthy muffins and freeze them, which is a nice snack for the kids and a good alternative to store-bought treats. Defrosting them takes no effort, and they stay delicious!

My other tactic is to plan our outings ahead and make use of discounts and promotions. Instead of impulsive visits, I pick family-friendly eateries that have kids' deals or specials. Check for deals online before heading out - you can save a lot if you eat out during slower periods too. Free activities like picnicking, flying kites, or walking in the park are also great fun and make for an enjoyable day without costing a fortune!
That's smart thinking to take advantage of restaurant discounts and promotions especially because dining out can get quite costly. Picnics are definitely a great alternative and healthier too! I haven't thought of freezing home-baked goods like muffins but that's a brilliant idea - sneaky way to have variety too haha! It's amazing how much money we can save with some planning.

Shopping second hand is a great idea, especially for kids who grow out of things so quickly. I also like your strategy of bulk cooking and freezing; I do that too sometimes, though it's usually accidental when I'm cooking in large quantities haha!

My additional tip is to plan birthday parties way in advance. It gives me time to source decorations, cakes, and gifts at a discounted price or DIY them. The anticipation also builds the excitement for the special day and helps me pull off some cool but affordable celebrations.

I'm keen to hear more ideas too!
Planning ahead for birthday parties is a great tip! It's amazing how much money can be saved with some advance thought and preparation. I usually get party supplies on sale after a major holiday like Christmas or New Year, which helps save lots of money and ensures I have plenty of decorations and party essentials stocked up!

For clothes and shoes that the kids outgrow, I've found great deals at thrift stores and secondhand markets. It's amazing how quickly kids can grow out of styles anyway, so it makes sense to buy secondhand! Plus, the variety lets me choose different styles and brands without breaking the bank.

To keep toy rotation exciting, I involve my older kid in the process. A few weeks before the toy swap, I sit down with her to sort and organize everything into boxes or bags. We talk about the toys and pick out favorites that can stay, and it helps her understand the concept of giving away some toys to kids who might need them. The element of surprise is also fun - we wrap up a few toys that have been 'retired' and reintroduced as if they're new!

What other ways do you think parents can keep their kids entertained without breaking the bank? I'm always up for more ideas, especially for indoorsy days!

Shopping second hand is a great idea, especially for kids who grow out of things so quickly. I also like your strategy of bulk cooking and freezing; I do that too sometimes, though it's usually accidental when I'm cooking in large quantities haha!

My additional tip is to plan birthday parties way in advance. It gives me time to source decorations, cakes, and gifts at a discounted price or DIY them. The anticipation also builds the excitement for the special day and helps me pull off some cool but affordable celebrations.

I'm keen to hear more ideas too!
It's quite amazing how frugal measures can be so creative and intentional! It sounds like you've got a great system going on.

Planning in advance is wise, especially for special occasions like birthdays! Having time to prepare and source for materials makes a lot of difference. I usually keep a look out for sales and clearance sections year-round too, and pick up nice gifts or party decoration items at good discounts. If you have the storage space, it's a great way to save some money and have special treats ready ahead of time!

For toy rotation, what works for me is storing them in simple clear boxes stacked in the kids' room. The system isn't very fancy - I label each box with broad themes like 'Building blocks', or 'Imaginary Play' so it's easy to find things. Every two months or so, I switch out the toys and bring in fresh ones from storage. To keep things interesting, I try to include a few surprise toys along with the old favorites, which the kids might have forgotten about. That helps create an exciting element each time!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu