• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Frugality

When it comes to stretching the dollar, one thing I do is to bulk cook and freeze homemade meals for my kids - think DIY frozen dinners! This saves us from eating out or ordering takeout, which can really add up. Also, with younger kids, I used to make DIY sensory bins with items from the discount section at the Dollar Store - a thrifty and fun way to keep them entertained!
That's a clever idea to stock up on cheap sensory play items! I also noticed that dollar stores have lots of inexpensive party decor and snacks, which can come in handy for frugal parents hosting birthday bashes. They seem to have everything you need for a fun celebration without the fancy price tag.

When it comes to stretching the dollar, one thing I do is to bulk cook and freeze homemade meals for my kids - think DIY frozen dinners! This saves us from eating out or ordering takeout, which can really add up. Also, with younger kids, I used to make DIY sensory bins with items from the discount section at the Dollar Store - a thrifty and fun way to keep them entertained!
Good one! I haven't thought of the Dollar Store for cheap sensory toys - will check it out!

I'm all for making parenting more affordable and less stressful!

One thing I do is keep a lookout for year-end and post-season sales to stock up on good quality clothes at low prices. It helps to buy slightly bigger sizes so the kids can grow into them. Also, repurposing and upcycling pre-loved clothing items saves money and reduces waste - turn old t-shirts into cleaning/dusting rags, sew old jeans into a stylish bag, or cut and rearrange them into shorts.

Another one of my go-to frugal tips is DIY entertainment! Some of the most memorable activities don't cost a ****. I organize scavenger hunts around the house or neighborhood, create a homemade obstacle course with inexpensive sports equipment, and set up a backyard cinema night with a projector and bedsheets for a movie under the stars. The kids love it, and it's a great way to bring the family together too.

For quality time that doesn't empty your wallet, I recommend making the most of Singapore's awesome parks and nature reserves. Picnics, cycling, and hiking keep us busy on weekends without the hefty price tags. And often, these locations offer a great learning experience about the environment and wildlife too.

What about you? Any tips to add for frugal fun and smart parenting?
I agree that parenting doesn't have to cost a fortune! I've learned to get creative over the years and save quite a bit with these little adjustments.

One of my secrets is making our own snacks and treats at home, like baked goodies and fruit smoothies. Kids love helping out in the kitchen, and it's a fun way to spend time together. Plus, homemade snacks are healthier and often cheaper than store-bought ones. Win-win situation!

I also plan our weekends in advance, usually with free or low-cost activities. I involve my older child in deciding what we'll do, explaining that money doesn't grow on trees so we need to budget. It's become a fun little activity to plan together, and she now suggests cheap, creative outings! We've had some memorable staycations and adventures without breaking the bank.

For me, the key to smart parenting is making the most of what you have access to - whether it's using nearby parks or community spaces or repurposing old possessions. Kids often just need your time and creativity, not expensive toys or fancy holidays!

So mums and dads, let's hear some more affordable parenting life hacks! It's an art we could all benefit from learning! 😊

One thing I do is keep a lookout for year-end and post-season sales to stock up on good quality clothes at low prices. It helps to buy slightly bigger sizes so the kids can grow into them. Also, repurposing and upcycling pre-loved clothing items saves money and reduces waste - turn old t-shirts into cleaning/dusting rags, sew old jeans into a stylish bag, or cut and rearrange them into shorts.

Another one of my go-to frugal tips is DIY entertainment! Some of the most memorable activities don't cost a ****. I organize scavenger hunts around the house or neighborhood, create a homemade obstacle course with inexpensive sports equipment, and set up a backyard cinema night with a projector and bedsheets for a movie under the stars. The kids love it, and it's a great way to bring the family together too.

For quality time that doesn't empty your wallet, I recommend making the most of Singapore's awesome parks and nature reserves. Picnics, cycling, and hiking keep us busy on weekends without the hefty price tags. And often, these locations offer a great learning experience about the environment and wildlife too.

Your DIY entertainment and outdoor adventure ideas are definitely on point! I agree that creating fun doesn't have to cost a fortune.

I'm a big fan of free community events too. Most towns or neighborhoods have their own calendar of events - from music performances to cultural festivals and kids' workshops. These offer plenty of fun experiences for the whole family, without the expense. Keeping an eye on these community boards and sharing them with other parents can save us all some money!

Also, I've found that teaching my kid basic sewing skills has been a huge help in extending the life of her clothes. She's learned to patch up holes in her knees, sew back buttons, and even embroider, which makes her clothing last longer and saves us from buying new ones frequently. It's also a fun skill for her and an opportunity to bond!

Keep the frugal insights coming!

Frugal parenting definitely requires some creativity and thinking out of the box! I agree with your great ideas on DIY entertainment and making use of what we have around us in Singapore.

My addition would be embracing the 'make your own' culture, especially with food which can be a huge expense. Making pizza from scratch is fun for the kids and much cheaper than buying them from outlets. Also, 'bake-offs' with the kids using cheap, basic ingredients like flour, sugar and butter result in tasty treats without the bakery price tags. And with gardening stores nearby in most estates, I sometimes involve the little ones in planting herbs and vegetables which then gives them the satisfaction of growing and harvesting their food - free ingredients!

Along the same line, I try to impart financial literacy to my kids by encouraging a savings culture. We have a family contest to see who can save the most amount or find the best deals during sales! It's never too early to teach them that money doesn't grow on trees and learn some discipline in spending.

Besides material things, I believe in investing time in free educational resources online - there are plenty of good ones out there! From coding and math apps to virtual tours of museums, we can gain some knowledge without traveling physically which saves a lot.

Parenting is full of challenges but these hacks make it more enjoyable and less stressful for sure!

I let my kid earn his keep by getting him to do household chores and only rewarded him with money when he did extra tasks beyond the usual, like cleaning up after his pet or washing the family car. Taught him young the value of money and instilled a hard day's work ethic! Also passed down my old phone to him - saved me from buying him a new one every few years. Kids these days just want a device that works, they don't need the fanciest model.
That's an excellent idea to give your child an early lesson on earnings and the value of money! Giving them chores responsibility, especially with an accompanying reward system, prepares them for future financial literacy.

And I agree, kids often just want a gadget that functions coolly - the latest model often isn't necessary, and passing down a well-kept older device saves money too! It's win-win.

I let my kid earn his keep by getting him to do household chores and only rewarded him with money when he did extra tasks beyond the usual, like cleaning up after his pet or washing the family car. Taught him young the value of money and instilled a hard day's work ethic! Also passed down my old phone to him - saved me from buying him a new one every few years. Kids these days just want a device that works, they don't need the fanciest model.
That's a great way to teach him the value of money and give him a sense of responsibility! I'm also eyeing passing down old items like clothes and gadgets that still work - kids grow up so fast and it seems such a waste to discard good condition items!

I agree with you on the phone, especially with the latest models costing a small fortune! A budget-friendly hand-me-down is a great alternative and does the job of keeping them connected.

That's a great idea to teach him the value of money and give him a sense of responsibility! Giving them chores is a good way to prepare them for the real world and I must say it's a win-win situation where they learn to be independent and you get some help around the house!

Passing down gentler used items is also something I agree with; kids often don't need the latest model of anything, be it phones or toys. Most of the time, they're just fascinated by the functionality. It teaches them an important lesson on sustainability too - that we don't always need new things!

I also encourage parents to think beyond the commercial options for family fun. A nature exploration walk or a good old-fashioned game night can be fun and inexpensive ways to bond with your little ones. Some of these simple pleasures help develop their imagination and creativity too, rather than having them consume screen time.

It's nice to share these tips - makes me feel like I'm not the only one trying to stretch the dollar while keeping my kid entertained! Any other budget-wise parents have more tricks up their sleeves?

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
You've mentioned some fantastic ideas for keeping the costs down while maximising fun! It's quite remarkable how creative we can get when we set our minds to parenting frugally.

I'd like to add a few more strategies that I employ to join the toy rotation and secondhand heaven you've already shared:

- The Great Outdoors: My kids love exploring nature, and it's free! We often go on walks, observe the plants and animals, and set up little scavenger hunts for some family bonding time. Pack a frugal picnic lunch, and it's a delightful and inexpensive outing.
- Frugal Family Nights: Instead of costly movies or outside activities, we have theme nights at home. think movie nights with blankets and pillow forts, or a mini spa night with DIY face masks (using household ingredients!). Even a board game night is fun and doesn't cost a cent as long as everyone's up for it.
- Savvy Celebrations: Birthdays and holidays can get expensive, so I plan thoughtful but budget-conscious celebrations. I involve the kids in the process, and we come up with creative ways to celebrate without going over budget. Think DIY decorations, cooking the cake together, and little personalized gifts which cost next to nothing but are meaningful nonetheless.

When it comes to parenting frugally, it's amazing how creative, resourceful, and sustainable we can get! It's almost like a fun challenge to see who can come up with the most budget-saving idea.
You're right; there is so much we can do to make childhood memorable without breaking the bank!

I love the ideas you've added, especially involving nature - it is an incredible and inexpensive resource that fosters an appreciation for the environment from a young age. Getting the kids to help with cooking and baking is also a great way to keep them engaged and teaches them life skills too.

It's heartening to hear that other parents are also conscious of balancing budgeting with parenting. I guess the key lies in being thoughtful and intentional, as you've mentioned, in making every dollar count towards memorable experiences for our children without sacrificing quality time together.

It feels good to be part of this resourceful community!

You've mentioned some fantastic ideas for keeping the costs down while maximising fun! It's quite remarkable how creative we can get when we set our minds to parenting frugally.

I'd like to add a few more strategies that I employ to join the toy rotation and secondhand heaven you've already shared:

- The Great Outdoors: My kids love exploring nature, and it's free! We often go on walks, observe the plants and animals, and set up little scavenger hunts for some family bonding time. Pack a frugal picnic lunch, and it's a delightful and inexpensive outing.
- Frugal Family Nights: Instead of costly movies or outside activities, we have theme nights at home. think movie nights with blankets and pillow forts, or a mini spa night with DIY face masks (using household ingredients!). Even a board game night is fun and doesn't cost a cent as long as everyone's up for it.
- Savvy Celebrations: Birthdays and holidays can get expensive, so I plan thoughtful but budget-conscious celebrations. I involve the kids in the process, and we come up with creative ways to celebrate without going over budget. Think DIY decorations, cooking the cake together, and little personalized gifts which cost next to nothing but are meaningful nonetheless.

When it comes to parenting frugally, it's amazing how creative, resourceful, and sustainable we can get! It's almost like a fun challenge to see who can come up with the most budget-saving idea.
I'm glad you shared those ideas! I totally agree that going out in nature is very entertaining and educational at no cost. It's quite amazing how oblivious some kids nowadays are about basic survival skills, orientation using maps, or even recognizing common plants. Some of these skills can be picked up during camping trips which also cost next to nothing if we go with the essentials only. I love hearing birds chirping and feeling the fresh breeze on such adventures!

You're right; it is incredible how resourceful we as parents can be! It seems like you've got quite an elaborate system going on there. I especially like the idea of frugal family nights - creating special memories doesn't have to cost a fortune indeed.

On the topic of creative celebrations, I've also found that making and decorating cards for birthdays is a wonderful way to personalize a gift without breaking the bank. A good old DIY can go a long way!

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers

You're right; being resourceful while parenting certainly comes with its own rewards! It feels good to stretch our dollars without compromising on quality family time.

Your frugal family nights sound fun, especially the spa night - a nice way to unwind and save money!

I also agree with you on celebratory occasions. I remember helping my mum decorate the house and preparing a little party at home as a kid. The excitement was in the build-up, decorating and anticipation versus the commercial aspects of it.

It's lovely when parents include their kids in budgeting - it teaches them valuable money lessons early on!

That's the spirit! Teaching our kids the value of money and the satisfaction of earning their keep is part of their growing up process. Also, letting them know that experiences are more memorable than possessions - especially when they have to fork out their own allowance for treats!

These are definitely handy tips fellow frugal parents can relate to! I want to add that I also give old things new life - who says a bath toy can't become a colorful room decoration or a broken bracelet beyond repair can't be turned into something else with some creativity and glue? And second-hand stores and car boot sales are great places to find hidden gems!
You're right, secondhand shops can offer real finds and give new parents inspiration for DIY projects. I agree that giving old items a second life is very rewarding, especially when it involves the kids helping out and getting creative. That in itself is a fun activity and teaches them the value of sustainability and resourcefulness from an early age!

These are definitely handy tips fellow frugal parents can relate to! I want to add that I also give old things new life - who says a bath toy can't become a colorful room decoration or a broken bracelet beyond repair can't be turned into something else with some creativity and glue? And second-hand stores and car boot sales are great places to find hidden gems!
It's surprising how creative we can get once we see the possibilities lying around the house! It's like giving things a new lease of life and adding personal touches along the way.

You're right about second-hand finds too; one person's trash can truly be another's treasure. There's a certain excitement in discovering those hidden gems at boot sales or charity shops, especially when they can be given a new purpose or enjoyed as is. It's quite an eco-friendly and budget-wise shopping method, teaching our kids the value of sustainable living too.

It seems we're all in agreement that parenting on a budget encourages lots of inventiveness and fun!

You're absolutely right; parenting doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg! I love the idea of toy rotation; it's such a clever way to maintain order and cut down on unnecessary purchases. Libraries are great resources and often overlooked - a quiet place with free entertainment and knowledge galore. Home cooking is a wonderful way to save money while bonding with our little ones and teaching them about healthy eating. And who doesn't love a good picnic in the park?

I'm curious to know if there's a go-to DIY craft that you've mastered or a tried-and-tested recipe the kids never get tired of! It'd be fun to hear about everyone's favorite frugal activities and discover new ones.
My son loves helping me make homemade playdough. The recipe is simple, only requiring flour, salt, water, and food colouring, and he enjoys kneading the ingredients into shape. It keeps him occupied for hours, and we often use household items like buttons or straws for some extra fun.

As for a frugal meal, our trusty seafood paella is a family favourite. It's easy to whip up with inexpensive ingredients like rice, frozen seafood, and paprika, offering a tasty and nutritious dish. We sometimes pack it as a picnic lunch when we go on nature walks - the whole process, from cooking to eating, is a delight!

You go mom! That's an impressive array of frugal tactics! I especially love the toy rotation - a forgotten toy becomes new again! And yes, cooking meals from scratch is definitely healthier and cheaper than eating out, plus it's a great bonding activity. And who needs fancy store-bought craft supplies when there's so much inspiration online to make awesome DIY stuff? Well done!
You're too kind! But I have to agree that the toy rotation is genius - it's like giving your kids a present every time without breaking the bank. DIY and sustainability go hand in hand, and it's amazing how resourceful we can be when we set our minds to it.

You're absolutely right; parenting doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg! I love the idea of toy rotation; it's such a clever way to maintain order and cut down on unnecessary purchases. Libraries are great resources and often overlooked - a quiet place with free entertainment and knowledge galore. Home cooking is a wonderful way to save money while bonding with our little ones and teaching them about healthy eating. And who doesn't love a good picnic in the park?

I'm curious to know if there's a go-to DIY craft that you've mastered or a tried-and-tested recipe the kids never get tired of! It'd be fun to hear about everyone's favorite frugal activities and discover new ones.
My son loves helping out in the kitchen, and his favourite recipe is my homemade chicken nuggets. They're healthy, crunchy, and nothing like the deep-fried fast food variety, so I don't feel bad when he asks for seconds - which he always does!

The recipe is simple: Cut up some chicken breast into nugget-sized pieces, coat them with cornmeal and spices (we like a little kick), and bake them in the oven for about 12 minutes. They're juicy, crunchy, and perfect with a side of homemade dipping sauce - which is usually yogurt mixed with herbs or even ketchup. It's a family favorite for sure!

As for crafts, we love making our own playdough. It's cheap to make, and the possibilities are endless with all the colors and shapes you can create. We use lots of natural elements like cinnamon or peppermint oils to give it scents, and it keeps my little one entertained for hours. Plus, it's a great sensory activity!

What about you? Any tasty recipes or creative crafts you'd like to share?

You go mom! That's an impressive array of frugal tactics! I especially love the toy rotation - a forgotten toy becomes new again! And yes, cooking meals from scratch is definitely healthier and cheaper than eating out, plus it's a great bonding activity. And who needs fancy store-bought craft supplies when there's so much inspiration online to make awesome DIY stuff? Well done!
Thanks for the appreciation! It sure can get challenging at times balancing finances while keeping the little ones entertained. But I'm glad that these strategies have helped! The toy rotation trick really saves us money, and the kids never seem to suspect that their toys have been in the family for years. Keep the Frugal Parenting tips coming! They're so useful! Any other moms out there with similar hacks to share?

You're right; parenting can become costly, mostly because children grow quickly, and there's always a new need or want to attend to! Good job on being mindful of costs while also focusing on quality time with your little ones.

I particularly resonate with your point about toy rotation. I do something similar too, especially with outdoor toys which tend to be more expensive. Keeping some 'new' toys in reserve helps to maintain the excitement and extends the toy's lifespan - a smart way to ensure we get our money's worth!

What other frugal hacks have worked well for others? I'd love to hear more ideas!
Some mums I know go all out on gardening as a cheap hobby to do with their kids. It teaches them about patience and the value of caring for another living thing, plus it gets everyone some sunshine and exercise. You could also harvest and cook the produce, which is a great extension of the cooking lessons and encourages kids to appreciate the effort needed to grow food.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu