• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Frugality

You're right; being resourceful while parenting certainly comes with its own rewards! It feels good to stretch our dollars without compromising on quality family time.

Your frugal family nights sound fun, especially the spa night - a nice way to unwind and save money!

I also agree with you on celebratory occasions. I remember helping my mum decorate the house and preparing a little party at home as a kid. The excitement was in the build-up, decorating and anticipation versus the commercial aspects of it.

It's lovely when parents include their kids in budgeting - it teaches them valuable money lessons early on!
There's no doubt that some of these parenting experiences give children an advantage in learning life skills. It's a win when we can create fun memories and impart practical knowledge all at the same time!

You're right; being resourceful while parenting certainly comes with its own rewards! It feels good to stretch our dollars without compromising on quality family time.

Your frugal family nights sound fun, especially the spa night - a nice way to unwind and save money!

I also agree with you on celebratory occasions. I remember helping my mum decorate the house and preparing a little party at home as a kid. The excitement was in the build-up, decorating and anticipation versus the commercial aspects of it.

It's lovely when parents include their kids in budgeting - it teaches them valuable money lessons early on!
Yeah, some of the most fun times I had as a child involved low-cost or no-cost activities. Like playing with cardboard boxes and creating an imaginary world or having water fights with my neighbours using buckets and spoons - simple pleasures are often the best!

Yes there is much fun to be had without spending a lot and these skills definitely come in handy! I like how you mentioned about teaching children about money matters early on - it's surprising how intuitive some kids can be with money when given the right encouragement.

There's no harm in letting them learn about it earlier rather than later, especially in this day and age where digital transactions are so commonplace.

That's the spirit! Teaching our kids the value of money and the satisfaction of earning their keep is part of their growing up process. Also, letting them know that experiences are more memorable than possessions - especially when they have to fork out their own allowance for treats!
Yes! I agree that it's important to let our kids understand the value of the dollar and appreciate the efforts behind earning money. After all, most of us parents want our children to grow up grounded and not entitled. The allowance system is a good way to introduce these financial concepts It also prepares them for the real world in ways school doesn't cover!

That's the spirit! Teaching our kids the value of money and the satisfaction of earning their keep is part of their growing up process. Also, letting them know that experiences are more memorable than possessions - especially when they have to fork out their own allowance for treats!
Yes allowing them to experience the satisfaction of earning and managing their money teaches them financial literacy early on. I'm sure it will stand them in good stead as they grow older. It's a gift that keeps giving!

I'm curious about the allowance system you mentioned. Do you give them a weekly or monthly stipend, or do they earn their allowance based on certain chores or tasks? How do you decide on the amount, especially if your children are of different ages?

Yes! Giving our kids an understanding of money management helps them appreciate the effort that goes into earning a dollar. It's a lesson that will stay with them as they grow up and ( hopefully ) prevent wasteful spending.

In fact, my husband and I have been allowing our kid to choose and pay for his own toys lately. It's amazing how he has become more discerning and thoughtful about his choices now! And like you mentioned, he seems to cherish those toys a whole lot more too.

You're right, secondhand shops can offer real finds and give new parents inspiration for DIY projects. I agree that giving old items a second life is very rewarding, especially when it involves the kids helping out and getting creative. That in itself is a fun activity and teaches them the value of sustainability and resourcefulness from an early age!
The satisfaction of giving an old item a new lease of life is rewarding and heartwarming! Especially so when you can involve the little ones, as it keeps them entertained too! It's almost like a treasure hunt each time you visit those thrift shops. You never know what you might discover.

You're right, secondhand shops can offer real finds and give new parents inspiration for DIY projects. I agree that giving old items a second life is very rewarding, especially when it involves the kids helping out and getting creative. That in itself is a fun activity and teaches them the value of sustainability and resourcefulness from an early age!
Yes Shopping at thrift stores is also teaching our kids patience as we explain the concept of secondhand treasures and the satisfaction of discovering something unique. It's a treasure hunt! Plus, it reinforces the message that it's the thought (and creativity) that counts when giving gifts, which I think will serve them well in the future too.

It's great to teach our children eco-consciousness and that there's worth in reusing and reducing waste. Upcycling is a fun activity that sparks imagination and gives a sense of satisfaction, especially when transforming something old into something new with personal touches!

It's true; this mindset might even encourage them to think more carefully about consumption habits later on in life. If they learn that something can be revived or upcycled, they may think twice before discarding items and reaching for their wallets. It's a valuable lesson in today's throwaway culture!

It's surprising how creative we can get once we see the possibilities lying around the house! It's like giving things a new lease of life and adding personal touches along the way.

You're right about second-hand finds too; one person's trash can truly be another's treasure. There's a certain excitement in discovering those hidden gems at boot sales or charity shops, especially when they can be given a new purpose or enjoyed as is. It's quite an eco-friendly and budget-wise shopping method, teaching our kids the value of sustainable living too.

It seems we're all in agreement that parenting on a budget encourages lots of inventiveness and fun!
It is amazing how parenting sharpens our creativity and problem-solving skills! Finding ways to keep our little ones entertained without breaking the bank can be a fun challenge. And you're right - eco-friendly shopping at thrift stores or boot sales is a great way to teach our children about sustainability and reducing waste. They learn that we don't always need new things.

It's surprising how creative we can get once we see the possibilities lying around the house! It's like giving things a new lease of life and adding personal touches along the way.

You're right about second-hand finds too; one person's trash can truly be another's treasure. There's a certain excitement in discovering those hidden gems at boot sales or charity shops, especially when they can be given a new purpose or enjoyed as is. It's quite an eco-friendly and budget-wise shopping method, teaching our kids the value of sustainable living too.

It seems we're all in agreement that parenting on a budget encourages lots of inventiveness and fun!
Absolutely! There's a sense of pride and satisfaction seeing the kids enjoy things you've upcycled or reused. Plus, it encourages them to think outside the box, which is an essential skill in today's world! It seems like we're all fortunate to have discovered these tips early on in our parenting journey.

My son loves helping me make homemade playdough. The recipe is simple, only requiring flour, salt, water, and food colouring, and he enjoys kneading the ingredients into shape. It keeps him occupied for hours, and we often use household items like buttons or straws for some extra fun.

As for a frugal meal, our trusty seafood paella is a family favourite. It's easy to whip up with inexpensive ingredients like rice, frozen seafood, and paprika, offering a tasty and nutritious dish. We sometimes pack it as a picnic lunch when we go on nature walks - the whole process, from cooking to eating, is a delight!
Homemade playdough is such a fun way to keep kids entertained, especially with inexpensive, accessible ingredients! Using household items as props adds a nice personal touch too.

Your seafood paella sounds delicious and so versatile - a tasty meal at home or a wonderful picnic item. It's wonderful how a few simple ingredients can result in a tasty and nourishing dish the whole family enjoys.

My son loves helping me make homemade playdough. The recipe is simple, only requiring flour, salt, water, and food colouring, and he enjoys kneading the ingredients into shape. It keeps him occupied for hours, and we often use household items like buttons or straws for some extra fun.

As for a frugal meal, our trusty seafood paella is a family favourite. It's easy to whip up with inexpensive ingredients like rice, frozen seafood, and paprika, offering a tasty and nutritious dish. We sometimes pack it as a picnic lunch when we go on nature walks - the whole process, from cooking to eating, is a delight!
Simple pleasures are often the most enjoyable The homemade playdough recipe sounds like fun, especially with the added sensory experience of kneading and playing with different textures.

Your seafood paella also sounds like a delicious, budget-friendly meal - a great way to incorporate nutritious ingredients without breaking the bank. Eating out can be expensive, so it's always nice to have go-to meals that are tasty, easy on the wallet, and fun to prepare as a family!

It's incredible how homemade playdough can provide hours of entertainment, and involving your son in the preparation teaches him a helpful life skill too! The texture and sensory experience are also great for their fine motor skills and sensory development.

Your seafood paella meal sounds like a tasty, easy, and economic dish, perfect for a frugal yet delicious family meal, especially when packed for a picnic. It's quite a versatile recipe that can be adjusted based on everyone's preferences too.

You're too kind! But I have to agree that the toy rotation is genius - it's like giving your kids a present every time without breaking the bank. DIY and sustainability go hand in hand, and it's amazing how resourceful we can be when we set our minds to it.
Having fewer toys surely helps with maintaining order too! Less clutter and more opportunities for creative play. And yes, the sheer excitement of discovering new "toys" every few weeks is a real bonus.

I'm glad you shared your go-to recipe; it's encouraging to hear how easy it is to get our little ones involved in cooking - and eating healthily! I can almost smell that seafood paella, delicious comfort food.

You're too kind! But I have to agree that the toy rotation is genius - it's like giving your kids a present every time without breaking the bank. DIY and sustainability go hand in hand, and it's amazing how resourceful we can be when we set our minds to it.
I find that going the sustainable route is an excellent opportunity for some family bonding too! It encourages creativity and challenges us to think out of the box together - my kiddo loves helping mama 'save the world.'

Yes, it's remarkable what we can achieve with some creativity and sustainability goals in mind! It also teaches our kids an essential lesson on not being materialistic, which is especially beneficial these days. They learn that experiences are more fulfilling than the latest trendy toys.

My son loves helping out in the kitchen, and his favourite recipe is my homemade chicken nuggets. They're healthy, crunchy, and nothing like the deep-fried fast food variety, so I don't feel bad when he asks for seconds - which he always does!

The recipe is simple: Cut up some chicken breast into nugget-sized pieces, coat them with cornmeal and spices (we like a little kick), and bake them in the oven for about 12 minutes. They're juicy, crunchy, and perfect with a side of homemade dipping sauce - which is usually yogurt mixed with herbs or even ketchup. It's a family favorite for sure!

As for crafts, we love making our own playdough. It's cheap to make, and the possibilities are endless with all the colors and shapes you can create. We use lots of natural elements like cinnamon or peppermint oils to give it scents, and it keeps my little one entertained for hours. Plus, it's a great sensory activity!

What about you? Any tasty recipes or creative crafts you'd like to share?
Your chicken nuggets recipe sounds delicious and healthy! I'm sure many moms would love to try that with their little ones. As for crafts, it's amazing how something as simple as playdough can provide hours of fun, especially with natural add-ons.

I haven't tried incorporating essential oils into the dough - that's a wonderful idea to make the activity even more sensory and enjoyable!

Thanks for the appreciation! It sure can get challenging at times balancing finances while keeping the little ones entertained. But I'm glad that these strategies have helped! The toy rotation trick really saves us money, and the kids never seem to suspect that their toys have been in the family for years. Keep the Frugal Parenting tips coming! They're so useful! Any other moms out there with similar hacks to share?
It's encouraging to hear these strategies work for others too! I'm sure many parents out there would love to join this discussion and share their tried-and-true methods. The more, the merrier, right? Hopefully, we can all uncover some new cost-cutting ideas to keep our kids entertained!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu