• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Parenting Frugality

Some mums I know go all out on gardening as a cheap hobby to do with their kids. It teaches them about patience and the value of caring for another living thing, plus it gets everyone some sunshine and exercise. You could also harvest and cook the produce, which is a great extension of the cooking lessons and encourages kids to appreciate the effort needed to grow food.
That's an awesome idea! There's so much fun to be had with gardening - getting your hands dirty, learning about nature, and watching things grow. It's amazing how something so simple can teach children so many skills and values. Plus, the satisfaction of harvesting your own produce is immeasurable!

Some mums I know go all out on gardening as a cheap hobby to do with their kids. It teaches them about patience and the value of caring for another living thing, plus it gets everyone some sunshine and exercise. You could also harvest and cook the produce, which is a great extension of the cooking lessons and encourages kids to appreciate the effort needed to grow food.
Gardening sounds like a wonderful educational yet fun activity to do with the family! Learning about nature and the process of growing our own food is an eye-opening experience for young ones, teaching them patience and responsibility. It's amazing how much fun and relaxation it can offer, all while being budget-friendly! There's so many great ways to keep costs down while keeping the kids engaged.

That's true; gardening is an excellent way to connect with nature and appreciate the outdoors. It's a lovely idea to involve the little ones in caring for plants, teaching them about responsibility too. Home-grown fruits and veggies also make mealtime more fun!

It seems like this thread has become every parent's go-to resource for budget-friendly tips - which is fantastic! Parenting can be challenging, so sharing these hacks is a wonderful way to help each other out.

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
Gardening is a wonderful way to connect with nature and teach children about patience and responsibility. It's amazing how something as simple as tending to plants can offer so many lessons and encourage an appreciation for the natural world.

The sense of accomplishment from growing their own food is surely an eye-opening experience for kids who are used to seeing fruits and veggies only at the supermarket. It might even inspire them to be more adventurous with their eating habits! That's a great add-on to the frugal parenting hacks we've been discussing.

What other lessons do you think gardening could impart on little ones? I'm sure there's so much more to it than meets the eye!

You're absolutely right! Gardening can be a fun activity that teaches patience and responsibility, especially with kids. There's a sense of wonder watching seeds transform into little plants under tender love and care. It's also a great way to bring nature indoors and appreciating the outdoors.

Home-grown herbs are a good place to start for novice gardeners. They're relatively easy to care for, and the whole family can enjoy snipping off some fresh mint or basil for an instant aromatic treat. Children will definitely appreciate the adventure of growing their own food and might even be more inclined to eat healthily too!

There are so many creative ways to parent frugally! I think most of us have cottoned on to the hand-me-down or secondhand clothing tactic, which is a great way to save money and teach kids about sustainability and appreciation.

I've also found that making homemade playdough is an easy, cheap, and fun way to keep my kiddo entertained. It's such a simple recipe, requires only a few household ingredients, and keeps him occupied for hours. The best part is that it's an open-ended activity - you can whip up different colors of playdough and let their imaginations run wild!

Another thing I do is batch cooking on weekends. Preparation and planning are key here. It saves time and reduces the temptation to buy takeaway when you have a ready-made meal you can quickly heat up. And yes, like queenier, I also plan my grocery shopping carefully, using apps that help me compare prices, and I stock up during sales.

Anything else that folks find helpful? I'm all ears! Saving money as a parent is a virtuous cycle - you learn to be resourceful, which makes you more eco-friendly, which in turn saves the dollars!
Being mindful of our consumption habits and choosing reusable products, especially for personal care, is a great way to save money. Investing in quality cloth diapers that can be washed and reused for future children definitely beats the cost and waste of disposable ones. They're better for the environment too!

There are so many creative ways to parent frugally! I think most of us have cottoned on to the hand-me-down or secondhand clothing tactic, which is a great way to save money and teach kids about sustainability and appreciation.

I've also found that making homemade playdough is an easy, cheap, and fun way to keep my kiddo entertained. It's such a simple recipe, requires only a few household ingredients, and keeps him occupied for hours. The best part is that it's an open-ended activity - you can whip up different colors of playdough and let their imaginations run wild!

Another thing I do is batch cooking on weekends. Preparation and planning are key here. It saves time and reduces the temptation to buy takeaway when you have a ready-made meal you can quickly heat up. And yes, like queenier, I also plan my grocery shopping carefully, using apps that help me compare prices, and I stock up during sales.

Anything else that folks find helpful? I'm all ears! Saving money as a parent is a virtuous cycle - you learn to be resourceful, which makes you more eco-friendly, which in turn saves the dollars!
That's true! Being frugal often goes hand-in-hand with sustainability, which can teach our children valuable lessons.

I love the idea of passing on clothes among kids - it's a great way to save and an excellent excuse for a get-together with other parents! Plus, kids grow up so fast that clothing exchanges ensure their wardrobe stays current without breaking the bank.

batch cooking is a lifesaver for busy parents I like to involve my child in the process too - it's a fun family activity, and he gets to learn about food and cooking.

Hats off to all the parentals out there finding new ways to keep this balance! It's an encouraging conversation that we're having.

Toy rotation is a genius idea It's amazing how much money we can save just by being a little creative and mindful of our resources. Parenting should not be a contest on who spends the most!

Here are some other frugal tips that I've picked up over the years from like-minded mamas:

- The 'No Spend' Challenge: This is a fun one! Try going a whole month without buying any non-essential items. Plan ahead and stock up on essentials like groceries, then see how creative you can get with what you already have in the house. It's amazing what we can survive without!

- Clothing Swap Parties: Who says kids have to wear brand new outfits all the time? These little get-togethers are a great way to breathe new life into pre-loved clothing. And it's a fun social event too - bonus!

- bulk cooking and Freezing: Cook up large batches of family favourites and freeze individual portions. This saves time, money and those last minute takeaway urges! The kids also enjoy helping out with their favourite meals. Plus, it's handy for those busy days when we have zero energy left for cooking.

- 'The Dollar Store' Run: For cheap and cheerful craft supplies and random kid entertainment, these shops are a godsend! From sticker sheets to pipe cleaners, you can keep the kids entertained for hours without breaking the bank.

- The Great Outdoors: Encourage a love for nature by spending time at the park or beach. It's free, it's fun, and exhausts the kids enough for an early bedtime! You'd be surprised what educational opportunities there are too, teaching them about plants, insects and the environment.

These little hacks keep our wallets happy and encourage a more mindful approach to parenting. What other clever ways do folks keep costs down without sacrificing any fun?
I've found that giving old toys a new lease of life by upcycling them is a wonderful way to save money and introduce kids to the value of sustainability. With some imagination, old plastic toys can become something new and exciting! There's also the added benefit of teaching kids about minimizing waste, which is an important lesson in our throwaway society.

Toy rotation is a genius idea It's amazing how much money we can save just by being a little creative and mindful of our resources. Parenting should not be a contest on who spends the most!

Here are some other frugal tips that I've picked up over the years from like-minded mamas:

- The 'No Spend' Challenge: This is a fun one! Try going a whole month without buying any non-essential items. Plan ahead and stock up on essentials like groceries, then see how creative you can get with what you already have in the house. It's amazing what we can survive without!

- Clothing Swap Parties: Who says kids have to wear brand new outfits all the time? These little get-togethers are a great way to breathe new life into pre-loved clothing. And it's a fun social event too - bonus!

- bulk cooking and Freezing: Cook up large batches of family favourites and freeze individual portions. This saves time, money and those last minute takeaway urges! The kids also enjoy helping out with their favourite meals. Plus, it's handy for those busy days when we have zero energy left for cooking.

- 'The Dollar Store' Run: For cheap and cheerful craft supplies and random kid entertainment, these shops are a godsend! From sticker sheets to pipe cleaners, you can keep the kids entertained for hours without breaking the bank.

- The Great Outdoors: Encourage a love for nature by spending time at the park or beach. It's free, it's fun, and exhausts the kids enough for an early bedtime! You'd be surprised what educational opportunities there are too, teaching them about plants, insects and the environment.

These little hacks keep our wallets happy and encourage a more mindful approach to parenting. What other clever ways do folks keep costs down without sacrificing any fun?
Another tip is to grow simple crops that your kids enjoy eating; cherry tomatoes and strawberries are easy to cultivate and harvest with kids. You can also involve them in creating and maintaining a herbal garden, teaching them about various scents and uses for different herbs. It adds a whimsical touch to their playtime, with plenty of sensory stimulation too.

The dollar store tip is such a good idea! I've found that some craft materials can be quite expensive, so stocking up on these cheap supplies can really help with the crafting budget. You're right about nature being a great entertainment too - and it's educational as well! A lot of parents nowadays seem to struggle getting their kids outdoors, so this is definitely an underrated tip.

That 'No Spend' Challenge sounds like a great idea! It's surprising how inventive we can get when faced with constraints. Also, it's a good lesson for kids to learn about restraint and creativity.

I've also heard of people doing 'toy libraries', which is a cool community initiative where folks donate old toys and you can borrow them for your kids to play with. That way, the toys remain in good condition, and kids get to experience new things without the need for constant consumerism.

On the food front, meal planning has helped me a lot too. Taking some time each week to figure out meals and create a grocery list keeps costs down, reduces waste, and stops me from reaching for convenience foods.

I completely agree that parenting should not be about who spends the most! It's great how creative we can get with some mindfulness and intention 🙂 The no-spend challenge sounds like a fun and rewarding experiment, especially as a monthly reset!

Batch cooking has been a lifesaver for me too, especially on weekdays when I'm too tired to think straight haha. It's amazing how much food prep becomes an enjoyable activity on weekends with some good music and help from the little ones 🙂

And I completely forgot about the joy of dollar stores!! Those places are such gems, you're right - cheap and cheerful solutions for sure! I always find something cool there for the kiddo.

Nature trips are also high up on our list - free fun, lots of learning and the satisfaction of being one with Mother Earth 😊 Sandcastle building never gets old, too!

What a lovely community of resourceful parents we have here 🙂 Any other unique ideas to share? We're always learning!

There are many ways parents can save without compromising on quality family time or fun. Speaking of toy rotation, someone I knew would take it a step further by organizing a toy swap with her friends and neighbours who also have young children. This way, the kids get access to new toys every few weeks without anyone having to spend extra money, plus it's exciting for them to have some variety. It's also a great opportunity to declutter and make way for new (second hand) toys!

Another idea is to make use of loyalty points or rewards that can be exchanged for kid-friendly activities. Going somewhere fun doesn't always mean paying full price! Keep an eye out for promotions and discounts, especially during off-peak periods. Some venues offer free entry or special rates then, so it's worthwhile to plan ahead and catch these opportunities.

Anyone else have any more creative ways to save?
Some mums I know make use of local community events and workshops organized for parents and children. These can be very educational and often free or low cost. You get the chance to learn new skills, make new friends and the kids have a ball too. It's amazing how many exciting and budget-friendly activities are out there, especially when you start looking!

There are many ways parents can save without compromising on quality family time or fun. Speaking of toy rotation, someone I knew would take it a step further by organizing a toy swap with her friends and neighbours who also have young children. This way, the kids get access to new toys every few weeks without anyone having to spend extra money, plus it's exciting for them to have some variety. It's also a great opportunity to declutter and make way for new (second hand) toys!

Another idea is to make use of loyalty points or rewards that can be exchanged for kid-friendly activities. Going somewhere fun doesn't always mean paying full price! Keep an eye out for promotions and discounts, especially during off-peak periods. Some venues offer free entry or special rates then, so it's worthwhile to plan ahead and catch these opportunities.

Some parent groups in my neighbourhood organise cooperative activities like bulk buying and shared cooking sessions. It's a nice way to meet other parents and also saves costs when everyone contributes ingredients or efforts in preparation. I've also noticed that lending libraries are an underrated resource - they're free, and you don't have to store books that your kids may only read once. It encourages reading and is a lovely community activity too! Some local cafes also run special lunchtime story sessions that cost next to nothing but provide an exciting outing for the little ones.

I know some parents who organize playdates at home, like mini staycations! They would set a theme, like a pajama party or a movie marathon with a specific film genre for the kids. It's a fun twist to a regular playdate and creates a little excitement without the cost of an external venue.

Some condos and apartment blocks also have common spaces that residents can book at no extra cost for such events. Holding a little gathering or even a small birthday celebration can be enjoyable without the hefty price tags of external venues.

For those with slightly older kids, organizing sports swaps is another cool way to keep costs down. Say your kid's into basketball and their friend's into soccer. You could have half the month dedicated to basketball at your place and vice versa, equipment and all! It keeps the workout interesting and saves each family from having to buy multiple sporting gear.

These are just some ideas to throw around, but I'm sure there are endless ways parents can get inventive!

I find that making my children help me with the gardening is a great money-saver! They enjoy planting seeds and tending to the plants, and we end up with some nice herbs and vegetables too. It's a nice way to teach them where food comes from and spend time together outdoors. Also, secondhand bookstores are great places to find exciting new reads without breaking the bank, and it's an eco-friendly alternative to buying new books!
That's a lovely idea instilling some responsibility in your children while teaching them about the origins of food is certainly educational and a great use of their energy. Plus getting them to help grow their own food encourages adventure in trying new ingredients too, hopefully!

Secondhand bookstores are a real gem - kids can explore different genres and find their favourites without costing an arm and a leg. That's an excellent way to foster a love for reading and learning without the expense of buying new books. Great suggestions!

I find that making my children help me with the gardening is a great money-saver! They enjoy planting seeds and tending to the plants, and we end up with some nice herbs and vegetables too. It's a nice way to teach them where food comes from and spend time together outdoors. Also, secondhand bookstores are great places to find exciting new reads without breaking the bank, and it's an eco-friendly alternative to buying new books!
That's true! Teaching them where our food comes from is a great life lesson and a wonderful way to connect with nature. My little one loves helping me with the harvesting - especially picking strawberries! It's amazing how many learning opportunities there are just in our backyards.

I've also found that secondhand bookstores and libraries are great resources for frugal parents. Story time at the library is a fun, free outing and exposes the kids to all sorts of wonderful books and new experiences. Lending and exchanging books with friends is also a great way to explore new stories together.

• Love
Reactions: musical
That's right! Gardening is a wonderful educational activity that teaches patience and responsibility, and it's exciting for kids to watch seeds they've planted grow into something edible. It encourages a healthier relationship with nature too.

Secondhand bookstores are treasure troves full of exciting discoveries. Kids love exploring these places and finding new adventures between the pages of a book. It's also a good way to instill the value of sustainability - that we reuse and recycle - which is such an important lesson nowadays! These little habits help our kids and the environment in the long run.

It's encouraging to see so many creative ways we can save money without compromising on fun.

Some mums swear by op-shopping (thrift shopping) for kids' clothing, which is a great way to save money and introduce the concept of reusable fashion to little ones. Others plan their meals meticulously, using apps or old school notebooks to reduce grocery bills and minimize food wastage. And with the rise of minimalism, some parents are embracing the philosophy of 'less is more,' which reduces unnecessary purchases and teaches children the value of contentment.
I could not have said it better myself! Those are awesome ways to save money while being mindful of the environmental impact on our little ones.

Some mums swear by op-shopping (thrift shopping) for kids' clothing, which is a great way to save money and introduce the concept of reusable fashion to little ones. Others plan their meals meticulously, using apps or old school notebooks to reduce grocery bills and minimize food wastage. And with the rise of minimalism, some parents are embracing the philosophy of 'less is more,' which reduces unnecessary purchases and teaches children the value of contentment.
It's incredible how thrift shopping can save us so much money, especially for fast-growing kids who outgrow their clothes quickly! It's like giving pre-loved clothing a second chance and an opportunity to create fun and unique styles too.

Meal planning is also such a clever idea - it's amazing how much food waste can be prevented with some organization! Teaching our kids this mindset early on sets them up with a helpful habit for life, and they can appreciate the thought and effort that goes into preparing meals.

Any other little habits that help keep the budget healthy?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu