• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maximize Your Time

That's a great strategy to tackle tasks! Having a clear plan for the day certainly helps to stay focused. Back-to-back similar tasks help the day zoom by smoothly, and before we know it, we'd have accomplished quite a lot!
It contributes immensely to time management! You don't want to waste that precious momentum gained from focusing on a particular task.

That's a great strategy to tackle tasks! Having a clear plan for the day certainly helps to stay focused. Back-to-back similar tasks help the day zoom by smoothly, and before we know it, we'd have accomplished quite a lot!
I find that, aside from planning ahead which you guys have already mentioned, setting up routines for mundane, everyday tasks helps me a lot. Waking up at the same time every day, for example, ensures I start my days on the right foot and saves me from deciding when to get up every morning. It also helps me to have a fixed sequence of activities - exercise right after breakfast and doing the laundry on Thursdays, for instance. These established routines leave less room for procrastination and ambiguity, which in turn maximize my time. What other routine-building hacks do you guys have?

Yes, it's like riding on a wave where you're so focused and engaged that time appears to fly. It's an amazing feeling to accomplish so much, especially when tackling those dreaded but essential chores.

having a clear roadmap saves a lot of mental energy, which can be channeled into other conscious decisions throughout the day.

That's true - having a focused session for a particular task allows you to enter 'the zone', which benefits artists especially! And it's great that you allocate an undivided presence for your kid despite your busy schedule, setting quality time apart from screen time.
That's right. Focusing on one task at a time helps me enter a productive zone, and before I know it, the day is done! As for my kids, I make sure to set aside intentional quality time with them without distractions. It's an effort to avoid getting absorbed by our screens daily!

That's true - having a focused session for a particular task allows you to enter 'the zone', which benefits artists especially! And it's great that you allocate an undivided presence for your kid despite your busy schedule, setting quality time apart from screen time.
creating that mental separation is important, so the dedicated quality time with her feels authentic and not just a half-hearted effort. I make sure such special moments are interrupted only by an absolute emergency!

That's right! Preparation and organization are key to maximizing the next day's productivity. It's great how you plan ahead; it must be satisfying to sail through your day without the stress of last-minute decisions! Do you have any specific techniques for staying focused throughout the day, or keeping track of tasks?
Nope, no specific techniques here! I just try to keep things simple and straightforward, focusing on one thing at a time. If it's a big task, I break it down into smaller steps so that I don't feel too overwhelmed and can see slow progress being made. Sometimes the satisfaction of ticking off even the smallest sub-task can be quite motivating!

That's true. Sometimes we don't realise it but doing things back-to-back can really help with momentum and keeping track of time too! What other tips do you have?
As an artist, I make good use of my downtime by carrying a sketchbook everywhere I go. Whenever there's a wait - at the dentist's or cafe, or stuck in traffic - I whip it out to jot down ideas that come to mind. Our fleeting moments can be surprisingly productive!

That's true. Sometimes we don't realise it but doing things back-to-back can really help with momentum and keeping track of time too! What other tips do you have?
As an artist, my solution to staying focused is pretty unconventional. I've found that putting on a movie or documentary helps me incredibly with productivity - especially for mundane yet essential tasks like editing or admin work. Somehow, having a familiar storyline playing in the background keeps me going and makes tedious tasks more manageable. Plus, it adds some much-needed ambiance to an otherwise quiet studio.

As an artist, I rely a lot on visual cues and color-coding to keep myself organized. Creating mind maps, concept boards with mood boards, and vision boards help me see the big picture and keep my creative juices flowing. But most importantly, they serve as visual reminders that are harder to miss or forget compared to written ones!

As mentioned earlier, preparation and organization are fundamental to my daily routine. Besides planning the night before, I'd recommend creating a generalized to-do list for sudden inspirations or last-minute additions so as not to forget them. As banal as it may sound, it helps to stay focused on the present task when multi-tasking, by minimizing distractions like phone notifications, especially when you're in 'flow'.

Also, I make it a point to prioritize urgent tasks requiring immediate attention, which helps me stay focused because I know the importance of each task. Lastly, reward systems can help to motivate yourself when tackling tedious chores - it need not be anything extravagant; simple treats like a favorite snack or a short walk outside will do!

That's right! Preparation and organization are key to maximizing the next day's productivity. It's great how you plan ahead; it must be satisfying to sail through your day without the stress of last-minute decisions! Do you have any specific techniques for staying focused throughout the day, or keeping track of tasks?
As an artist, my brain often wanders off to creative la-la land, so I find that physical task lists help me stay grounded and focused on what needs to be done. Ticking off completed jobs gives a satisfying sense of progress, too. To keep on track, I also use a lot of reminders and notifications, especially for timing-sensitive tasks or appointments. Digital notes are a godsend - I'd probably lose a physical notebook!

What about you? Any tricks up your sleeve for staying organized, or keeping motivated when the going gets tough?

Reactions: wisdom
I don't have any special techniques to stay laser-focused, unfortunately. Most days, I just try to maintain a clear headspace so I can hear myself think, which sometimes means giving myself a good pep talk to shut out distractions!

For task organization, I keep a simple 'to-do' checklist on my phone and cross them out as I go along. It's satisfying enough for me, especially when tackling the really tedious chores. Seeing physical evidence of accomplishments - big or small - helps keep me going sometimes, haha!

The satisfaction that comes with crossing off completed tasks from my to-do list helps me stay motivated. Also, limiting my screen time and setting a reasonable break after every accomplished task keeps me focused and prevents burnout. For instance, I try not to spend unnecessary time on social media when there's work to be done. As a horticulturist, staying outdoors in the sun is a natural energy booster too!

No specific techniques here! I just try to maintain the momentum and stay on track by reminding myself of the plan I set the night before. I also find that ticking off items on my checklist gives me a sense of accomplishment and keeps me motivated to stay on course. Sometimes, I reward myself with a short break or a snack after completing particularly arduous tasks. It's not much, but it helps me keep going throughout the day.

That's quite an interesting strategy! batching similar tasks together seems to be a popular choice for many.
It certainly helps to ask and imagine what our days look like, especially as parents with demanding schedules. I, for one, find peace in the structure of organizing the night before so that I don't have to think too hard in the mornings when my son is around, and being able to focus on being present with him before the hustle of the day begins. It's a great feeling to have some control over how we spend our time! What about you?

That's an interesting strategy you have to maximize your artistic productivity, especially with the mental timeline! Flow states are valuable to capitalize on for efficiency! And it's heartwarming to hear how you intentionality plan your time around bonding with your child. That focused attention will undoubtedly create precious memories as well!
As a parent with a young kiddo myself, I've learned that making the most of our time together is paramount - especially when balancing work and family life! So it's great to have strategies up our sleeves to enhance productivity while keeping quality moments intact. And you're so right about the flow states; being able to immerse fully in a task makes a world of difference in our output too!

That's an interesting strategy you have to maximize your artistic productivity, especially with the mental timeline! Flow states are valuable to capitalize on for efficiency! And it's heartwarming to hear how you intentionality plan your time around bonding with your child. That focused attention will undoubtedly create precious memories as well!
As an artist, do you think this approach differs greatly from other careers, or is maximizing time somewhat universal across careers? I'm curious about the perspective of a creative mind! Also, any tips on keeping these batches of similar tasks interesting?

I don't have any other special techniques besides maintaining a simple to-do list, which I think is pretty common but still effective! I make sure all the tasks are noted down, crossed off and ticking things off gives me a sense of accomplishment. I do also pay attention to time blocking, allocating focused periods for each task. And because I've planned the day's tasks the night before, I can immerse myself fully in each activity without the distraction of deciding what comes next.

As an artist, being in a productive flow state is definitely a great feeling. Being able to immerse myself in that zone and creating without distractions is something I look forward to. Yes, creating precious memories with my child is of utmost importance to me too.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu