• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maximize Your Time

My time management secret is simple: I live by the motto, 'If it's not in my calendar, it doesn't exist'. That means if I want to prioritize something, no matter how small, I schedule it. And if it's important, I set up reminders to stay on track. Everything else can wait or can be dealt with later - this way, I don't feel guilty for neglecting any aspect of my life!
I try to avoid over-scheduling my day and leaving some buffer time open for unexpected emergencies. You never know when your plans might have to change, so it's good to have some wiggle room to breathe! Otherwise, you risk burning out from trying to fit too many commitments into a single day.

I completely agree with your points, especially prioritizing ruthlessly and taking intentional breaks to avoid burnout - self-care is so important!

Here's my additional input: create a 'not to do' list. This may sound counterintuitive, but jotting down time-wasting habits or tasks that are not aligned with your goals helps you become more mindful of your energy-draining activities. This list serves as a reminder of things to avoid so that you can stay focused on what truly matters.

Also, I'm a firm believer in the 80/20 principle, which basically means that 80% of outcomes result from 20% of actions. Knowing this, I prioritize focusing on those high-impact actions to make the biggest wave. It's about understanding the critical few from the trivial many.

Sometimes, especially for us parents, planning too strictly may lead to frustration when things don't go according to plan (which is often with young children involved!). So, while I do agree that allocating time slots can be beneficial, I've learned to also go with the flow and embrace some level of flexibility. Roll with the punches!

Lastly, I find that reflecting on my daily accomplishments just before bed helps. It's a kind of mindfulness exercise that makes me appreciate the day that has passed and sets a positive tone for the next. Plus, it helps me analyze what could have gone better so that I can improve on those for the following days.

Stay focused, everyone! We're only limited by 24 hours each day, might as well make the most of them!
That 80/20 principle is an interesting insight you've added there - it's crucial to focus on those high-impact actions. And I like how you mentioned reflecting on the day just before bed; it's a great way to stay mindful and positive.

I completely agree with your points, especially prioritizing ruthlessly and taking intentional breaks to avoid burnout - self-care is so important!

Here's my additional input: create a 'not to do' list. This may sound counterintuitive, but jotting down time-wasting habits or tasks that are not aligned with your goals helps you become more mindful of your energy-draining activities. This list serves as a reminder of things to avoid so that you can stay focused on what truly matters.

Also, I'm a firm believer in the 80/20 principle, which basically means that 80% of outcomes result from 20% of actions. Knowing this, I prioritize focusing on those high-impact actions to make the biggest wave. It's about understanding the critical few from the trivial many.

Sometimes, especially for us parents, planning too strictly may lead to frustration when things don't go according to plan (which is often with young children involved!). So, while I do agree that allocating time slots can be beneficial, I've learned to also go with the flow and embrace some level of flexibility. Roll with the punches!

Lastly, I find that reflecting on my daily accomplishments just before bed helps. It's a kind of mindfulness exercise that makes me appreciate the day that has passed and sets a positive tone for the next. Plus, it helps me analyze what could have gone better so that I can improve on those for the following days.

Stay focused, everyone! We're only limited by 24 hours each day, might as well make the most of them!
You've brought up some great points, especially about the flexibility we need to adopt despite having a structured plan. As a parent, I agree that going with the flow is often the only option when things don't go according to the rigid schedule!

I like your idea of a 'not-to-do' list; it's an innovative twist that can help us become more conscious of our actions. We should appreciate these little mindfulness hacks that help us stay on track mentally!

The 80/20 principle is a great reminder too - it resonates with the idea that some things matter more than others. Identifying and focusing on those high-impact actions can truly make a difference in how we spend our precious time.

Your bedtime reflection ritual also sounds like a lovely way to appreciate the passing day and set intentions for the following one. We should all take a leaf from your book and embrace such mindful practices!

You're right about being flexible - having a rigid to-do list can be frustrating, especially when you've got a family! I keep a 'not-to-do' list mentally, which helps me avoid energy vampires and activities that are a waste of my time. As they say, sometimes the most productive thing you can do is rest, especially when you're a parent running after a busy toddler!

My time management secret is simple: I live by the motto, 'If it's not in my calendar, it doesn't exist'. That means if I want to prioritize something, no matter how small, I schedule it. And if it's important, I set up reminders to stay on track. Everything else can wait or can be dealt with later - this way, I don't feel guilty for neglecting any aspect of my life!
That is a smart approach! Using a calendar effectively ensures you give adequate attention to different aspects of your life. The digital reminder notifications are helpful, especially when we have a packed schedule and multiple roles to juggle. Living by a purposeful motto is an insightful idea; I like how it helps you feel in control of your time!

That's an interesting strategy to trick your mind into prioritizing tasks! I usually pencil in the bigger more ambiguous tasks like 'work' or 'playtime' so as not to forget, especially if they are unusual occurrences. But it's good to hear your take on it and how you maximize your time through that method!

That's an effective strategy! Keeping a visual record of your plans and scheduling reminders ensures you stay committed to your priorities. It's a great way to ensure nothing slips through the cracks.

That is a great strategy! Having a visual calendar keeps your goals and tasks in front of you. It also helps to keep you accountable and organize your time based on your priorities. Reminders are a wonderful way to stay focused too; they provide gentle nudges to keep you on track so you don't lose sight of what's important to you!

That's an interesting approach! Living by a personal motto is a great reminder to stay focused on your priorities. Thanks for sharing!

That's a great strategy! Meal planning is a huge timesaver and can really help with grocery shopping and reducing food waste. Having a clear plan and records ensures nothing slips through the cracks.

I also agree on portioning meals ahead of time and having leftovers for lunch. It's a simple yet effective way to maximize efforts, especially with busy work schedules.

What other techniques do you use to stay organized, and do you have any creative meal-planning ideas? Doctors' schedules can be crazy!
Meal planning is a lifesaver, though some days it can be challenging to come up with new and exciting meals. I rely on tried-and-true recipes most of the time but try to switch things up every once in a while to keep things interesting.

To stay organized, alongside my meal plans, I also maintain a 'family activities' calendar using an old-school whiteboard. It helps me keep track of important dates, appointments, and events. I involve my kid in planning her activities, which also excites her and makes her feel involved. I also have a 'miscellaneous' section in my notes app for random things I need to remember - everything from ingredients I need to pick up at the grocery store to doctor's appointments to a list of potential holiday destinations. I find that digital notes are a lifesaver as they can be easily synced and accessed across devices; there's no risk of misplacing them, which is a win in my book!

I'm sure other parents here would love to hear more ideas too for staying on top of the daily chaos! It's encouraging to see how others stay organized too.

That's a great strategy to stay organized and plan your meals in advance! Batch cooking and meal prepping are real time-savers and ensure variety in your diet too. Keeping records and journals may seem old-school, but they work well and help you stay mindful of your daily needs.

What else would you add to make the most of the available hours in a day, especially for busy parents like yourself?
I find that as a parent, it helps to anticipate the potential needs or tantrums that might slow me down during the day. Having a couple of go-to tactics up my sleeve works wonders when faced with unforeseen circumstances.

For example, having some snacks readily available can be a lifesaver when dealing with a hungry kid in a grocery store. Or stowing away a hidden stash of toys/books that only come out during desperate moments buys me some well-needed quiet time!

Being prepared often feels impossible with the unpredictability of parenthood, but a little foreplaning goes a long way and gives you confidence when things don't go to plan. It's like having a secret weapon up your sleeve!

Also, it might be useful to keep a running list of 'slowtime' activities - these are special treats that can only be done when you have some down-time, so they feel like an extra special reward for getting through the tough times. A sort of parent version of the kids' treat stash!

That's a great strategy to stay organized and plan your meals in advance! Batch cooking and meal prepping are real time-savers and ensure variety in your diet too. Keeping records and journals may seem old-school, but they work well and help you stay mindful of your daily needs.

What else would you add to make the most of the available hours in a day, especially for busy parents like yourself?
As a parent, adaptability is key! Being flexible with my plans has helped me manage expectations and keep my sanity haha! Kids can really throw you some surprises sometimes.

I make it a point now to prepare for last-minute changes by having some quick, go-to activities up my sleeve for when my son is home sick or when his plans suddenly fall through. I keep a stock of art supplies, books, and board games that we can fall back on. Having this little stash has saved me plenty of times, and it's also great for days when we just need some cozy indoor fun.

I also rely a lot on my support network. Having helping hands around makes a huge difference, whether it's babysitters or friends who can lend an ear while sharing the load. Reach out to your community; it takes a village to raise a child, right?!

Lastly, I'd say involve your little ones in your daily tasks. My son enjoys helping me with simple things in the kitchen, and on laundry days, he likes to sort out his clothes into piles (and sometimes, so does my husband!). It teaches them life skills and keeps them occupied while giving you some company. Win-win!

That's a great strategy! Meal planning is a huge timesaver and can really help with grocery shopping and reducing food waste. Having a clear plan and records ensures nothing slips through the cracks.

I also agree on portioning meals ahead of time and having leftovers for lunch. It's a simple yet effective way to maximize efforts, especially with busy work schedules.

What other techniques do you use to stay organized, and do you have any creative meal-planning ideas? Doctors' schedules can be crazy!
Meal planning is a lifesaver, especially freeze-ahead meals portioned out for the days when I know I'll be too time-crunched to cook. It's like having a little frozen insurance that helps me stick to our healthy eating habits.

As for staying organized, it'd have to be my trusty paper planner! I've tried digital methods, but there's something about physically writing down appointments and reminders that helps me remember them better. I also use sticker packs to add a fun element to it so I'm more inclined to check and update my planner regularly. It has become a little ritual for me to review and rewrite my to-do lists, penning down goals and dreams too. seems like a simple act, but it keeps me grounded and focused on what matters.

For creative meal planning, I sometimes theme our meals based on cuisines! We could have Italian night with pizza or pasta, or go Asian with some ramen or sushi. It makes meal times an adventure and the kids love helping decide on the weekly menu and cooking up a storm. It's also an excellent way to expose them to diverse cultures and cuisines - we even learn a thing or two about the countries and their traditions!

What about you? Do you have any fun ways to keep your planning systems interesting?

As a nutritionist, my meal prep game has to be on point, or else my schedule (and health) will suffer! You're right; preparing meals in advance does save a lot of time and stress.

For me, shopping smartly makes a huge difference in saving time. I do extensive grocery shopping once every two weeks, stock up on staples, and buy fresh produce weekly. This reduces the frequency of trips to the supermarket, which can eat into your time, especially when queues are involved!

Also, as a parent, I find that having a dedicated 'quiet' hobby helps to unwind after an exhausting day. I weave baskets in my free time, which is relaxing and therapeutic. It's amazing how being creative allows me to de-stress and recharge; I'm then able to give my son an undivided and calmer presence.

I used to feel guilty about indulging in this 'me time', but over time, I've learned that taking care of myself first actually enables me to be a better parent. So now, no more guilt trips!

Maybe you could explore finding that one activity which helps you zone out and recharge? It could be going for a walk, painting, playing an instrument, or even a good old bubble bath! Anything that creates some personal downtime to reset your mind.

I make it a point to involve my son in some of my tasks - chores become quicker and more enjoyable when we turn them into games! Teaching him to be helpful also prepares him to be more independent as he gets older. I don't want to miss out on the opportunity to prepare him for his future, so this is a great way to spend quality time together and maximize my time on household duties too.

I find freezer meals helpful when I want to prep ahead but also want variety. Instead of eating the same dish repetitive days in a row, I prepare and freeze different meals. Then, I can just take out a couple of portions each day and heat them up for dinner.

For records and organization, I rely heavily on digital tools - Notes, Calendar, and Reminders apps on my phone help me stay on track with appointments and personal reminders. I also use Excel sheets to plan contentively - meals plans, groceries, and even keeping tabs on my kid's extra-curricular classes and who's teaching what each week. Digital tools ensure that my schedules and plans are always with me, قاب وتنك capable of being accessed anywhere.

That's an impressive organization system you have going on! Keeping track of menus and batch cooking certainly helps to make the most of mealtime, leaving room for other activities.

My other contribution to this discussion would be the value of setting reasonable deadlines for oneself. Whether it's a work project or a personal goal, breaking down tasks into manageable chunks and allocating an appropriate timeframe keeps things in check. You don't want to be over-ambitious and set yourself up for failure, which can be demotivating. Conversely, too much leeway can lead to procrastination. having realistic expectations and staying true to your schedule, you keep your momentum going.

What other techniques do folks use to stay on track with their goals?
You're right about setting achievable deadlines! It's a delicate balance between challenging yourself and being reasonable with expectations. Otherwise, you might end up discouraged, which isn't motivating at all.

I find that 'time blocking' is a helpful strategy, which basically means dedicating specific time slots for different tasks or aspects of your life. For example, blocking family time, work time, me-time, etc., ensures that you give dedicated attention to each area without compromising others. This approach has the added benefit of providing structure to your day and helps switch off from work mode when it's not your focus.

Also, while this thread has focused mostly on planning, I think it's important to also acknowledge the importance of adaptability. Plans don't always go according to.. well, plan, so being flexible and rolling with the punches can equally help manage your time effectively!

That's an impressive organization system you have going on! Keeping track of menus and batch cooking certainly helps to make the most of mealtime, leaving room for other activities.

My other contribution to this discussion would be the value of setting reasonable deadlines for oneself. Whether it's a work project or a personal goal, breaking down tasks into manageable chunks and allocating an appropriate timeframe keeps things in check. You don't want to be over-ambitious and set yourself up for failure, which can be demotivating. Conversely, too much leeway can lead to procrastination. having realistic expectations and staying true to your schedule, you keep your momentum going.

Setting reasonable deadlines is a great technique I find that breaking down goals into smaller, manageable tasks makes them seem less intimidating and overwhelming too.

I also agree that having a visual workspace/ planner can help keep things in perspective, by giving you a good overview of your tasks and progress. Some people like digital tools, but I'm old school and enjoy physically ticking off completed tasks on my planner. There's satisfaction in visually seeing your accomplishments!

Perhaps a simple strategy, but a powerful mindset shift is also to think of the consequences if you don't accomplish certain tasks. It's a motivator to act promptly, especially for those who tend to procrastinate.

What about you, any other tips up your sleeve? We're on a roll here!

Setting reasonable deadlines is a great tactic to stay on track. It's all about finding that sweet spot - breaking tasks into manageable sizes so you don't fizzle out. Larger goals can seem daunting and may lead to procrastination, so this technique keeps things in perspective.

I also see many parallels with project management skills and parenting! Any other strategies you guys use to stay focused?

Good strategy. I second keeping physical records. There's something satisfying - and motivating - about ticking off completed items on your to-do lists. I also compartmentalize my journals: one for work, one for personal stuff. Helps me stay on track and ensures that I don't miss out any key details from either aspect of my life.

Also agree with your food planning strategy. But instead of the old-school journal, I use digital reminders/notifications for food prep and groceries. Less messy too!
That's a good idea to use digital reminders for meal prep and grocery shopping. Using technology definitely helps to make things more efficient and neat, especially if you're the forgetful type. It's encouraging to see how everyone adapts to suit their own needs!

Do you use any particular apps for this purpose, or simply the native reminder functions on your devices? I'm curious as to whether there are any good recommendations folks might have for user-friendly and helpful apps in this realm.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu