• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maximize Your Time

As a parent, adaptability is key! Being flexible with my plans has helped me manage expectations and keep my sanity haha! Kids can really throw you some surprises sometimes.

I make it a point now to prepare for last-minute changes by having some quick, go-to activities up my sleeve for when my son is home sick or when his plans suddenly fall through. I keep a stock of art supplies, books, and board games that we can fall back on. Having this little stash has saved me plenty of times, and it's also great for days when we just need some cozy indoor fun.

I also rely a lot on my support network. Having helping hands around makes a huge difference, whether it's babysitters or friends who can lend an ear while sharing the load. Reach out to your community; it takes a village to raise a child, right?!

Lastly, I'd say involve your little ones in your daily tasks. My son enjoys helping me with simple things in the kitchen, and on laundry days, he likes to sort out his clothes into piles (and sometimes, so does my husband!). It teaches them life skills and keeps them occupied while giving you some company. Win-win!
As a parent, you certainly have to be on your toes! Flexibility is a survival skill :)

It's ingenious how you keep a stash for sick days and unexpected changes-- definitely something I should start doing, especially as a precaution for the unpredictable future!

Having a support network is a wonderful idea too; it's reassuring to have people around who can relate and help out. There's so much to learn from experienced parents like yourself!

And I completely agree that involving little ones in our tasks can make things more fun-- especially when we view them as learning opportunities rather than chores :) Thanks for the great tips!

Meal planning is a lifesaver, especially freeze-ahead meals portioned out for the days when I know I'll be too time-crunched to cook. It's like having a little frozen insurance that helps me stick to our healthy eating habits.

As for staying organized, it'd have to be my trusty paper planner! I've tried digital methods, but there's something about physically writing down appointments and reminders that helps me remember them better. I also use sticker packs to add a fun element to it so I'm more inclined to check and update my planner regularly. It has become a little ritual for me to review and rewrite my to-do lists, penning down goals and dreams too. seems like a simple act, but it keeps me grounded and focused on what matters.

For creative meal planning, I sometimes theme our meals based on cuisines! We could have Italian night with pizza or pasta, or go Asian with some ramen or sushi. It makes meal times an adventure and the kids love helping decide on the weekly menu and cooking up a storm. It's also an excellent way to expose them to diverse cultures and cuisines - we even learn a thing or two about the countries and their traditions!

What about you? Do you have any fun ways to keep your planning systems interesting?
I like to switch things up between digital and physical planners - pen and paper never fail, but it's also fun to dabble with digital apps every now and then. Currently using a colorful sticky note app that has all my appointment cards in one place - it's satisfying to swipe them away once they're done!

Theme nights are a great meal planning idea that breaks the routine too. We haven't done one in a while, but the family will enjoy picking a new theme - thinking of doing an 'Under the Sea' night with seafood dishes and some mermaid decor! It'll be a nice way to bring some excitement to our dinners and sneak some educational facts about marine life too.

And I agree that getting the family involved adds a whole other element of fun - teaching my tot kitchen skills has been such a joy (when he's in a good mood, of course haha!). Those little achievements are heartwarmers indeed!

As a nutritionist, my meal prep game has to be on point, or else my schedule (and health) will suffer! You're right; preparing meals in advance does save a lot of time and stress.

For me, shopping smartly makes a huge difference in saving time. I do extensive grocery shopping once every two weeks, stock up on staples, and buy fresh produce weekly. This reduces the frequency of trips to the supermarket, which can eat into your time, especially when queues are involved!

Also, as a parent, I find that having a dedicated 'quiet' hobby helps to unwind after an exhausting day. I weave baskets in my free time, which is relaxing and therapeutic. It's amazing how being creative allows me to de-stress and recharge; I'm then able to give my son an undivided and calmer presence.

I used to feel guilty about indulging in this 'me time', but over time, I've learned that taking care of myself first actually enables me to be a better parent. So now, no more guilt trips!

Maybe you could explore finding that one activity which helps you zone out and recharge? It could be going for a walk, painting, playing an instrument, or even a good old bubble bath! Anything that creates some personal downtime to reset your mind.
Having that alone time is so crucial, especially as a parent - I completely understand the need to unwind and recharge! I enjoy picking up side projects, which sometimes doubles up as a way for me to earn some extra cash.

I've dabbled in upcycling old furniture and sewing unique eco-friendly bags, which also helps to keep down waste. It's encouraging to think that something old can have another lease of life and serves as a little creative outlet for me too.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: bookworm and wisdom
Meal planning is a lifesaver, especially freeze-ahead meals portioned out for the days when I know I'll be too time-crunched to cook. It's like having a little frozen insurance that helps me stick to our healthy eating habits.

As for staying organized, it'd have to be my trusty paper planner! I've tried digital methods, but there's something about physically writing down appointments and reminders that helps me remember them better. I also use sticker packs to add a fun element to it so I'm more inclined to check and update my planner regularly. It has become a little ritual for me to review and rewrite my to-do lists, penning down goals and dreams too. seems like a simple act, but it keeps me grounded and focused on what matters.

For creative meal planning, I sometimes theme our meals based on cuisines! We could have Italian night with pizza or pasta, or go Asian with some ramen or sushi. It makes meal times an adventure and the kids love helping decide on the weekly menu and cooking up a storm. It's also an excellent way to expose them to diverse cultures and cuisines - we even learn a thing or two about the countries and their traditions!

What about you? Do you have any fun ways to keep your planning systems interesting?
Having a theme for meals sounds like a fun way to keep things exciting! It's amazing how meal planning can be a creative outlet as well, almost like an art form presented on the plate.

I too love using stickers and stationary to pretty up my planners and lists-- it makes everything more enjoyable and encourages me to be more deliberate about my time. I also decorate my whiteboard calendar with cute magnets and pins, which brightens up the space and motivates me simultaneously!

I find enjoyment in the physical act of writing too, there's a satisfaction to ticking off completed tasks by hand - even if it's just shifting items to the 'done' column further left on the page. Old habits die hard, and there's comfort in some good ol' pen and paper even with all the tech available!

Using stickers and having a visual, physical planner is such a cute idea! It makes planning fun, which definitely encourages you to use it consistently. I'm sure the colorful reminders help too - a lovely little treat after a busy day!

Theming meal times sounds like an awesome way to add variety and make dinner conversations more exciting. That's a great tip, especially for getting kids involved too - mine would love picking themes, and it might even encourage them to try new foods!

To keep things interesting, I often change up my planning strategies. I'll switch between physical and digital methods, or use colored pens and sticky notes to jazz things up. Sometimes, I go old school with a bulletin board where I can visually lay out and organize everything - it's satisfying to see all your plans tangible!

I also like incorporating self-care and me-time in my planner, blocking off evenings for at-home spa nights or walks outside. Planning ahead for these little escapes keeps me focused on my own wellbeing, which is an important part of staying productive!

It's encouraging to hear how others keep their systems fun - sometimes, it's the simple things that make all the difference!

I make it a point to involve my son in some of my tasks - chores become quicker and more enjoyable when we turn them into games! Teaching him to be helpful also prepares him to be more independent as he gets older. I don't want to miss out on the opportunity to prepare him for his future, so this is a great way to spend quality time together and maximize my time on household duties too.
Involving kids in chores is a wonderful idea! Teaching them life skills while spending quality time together is a great way to **** two birds with one stone. It definitely prepares them for their future and saves you time down the line too.

I make it a point to involve my son in some of my tasks - chores become quicker and more enjoyable when we turn them into games! Teaching him to be helpful also prepares him to be more independent as he gets older. I don't want to miss out on the opportunity to prepare him for his future, so this is a great way to spend quality time together and maximize my time on household duties too.
Involving kids in chores is an excellent way to foster independence and make everyday tasks more enjoyable! It's a win-win situation, especially when they can turn into little helper(s).

I used to love helping my mum around the house when I was younger, feeling grown-up and useful. There's a sense of accomplishment that comes with it, and it's heartwarming to see your kid take pride in their mini achievements.

Turning chores into games is a clever twist! Makes the whole experience more fun and creates little moments of bonding too. What creative ways do you spice up these activities? And do you have any tips for keeping this routine exciting as kids grow older?

I find freezer meals helpful when I want to prep ahead but also want variety. Instead of eating the same dish repetitive days in a row, I prepare and freeze different meals. Then, I can just take out a couple of portions each day and heat them up for dinner.

For records and organization, I rely heavily on digital tools - Notes, Calendar, and Reminders apps on my phone help me stay on track with appointments and personal reminders. I also use Excel sheets to plan contentively - meals plans, groceries, and even keeping tabs on my kid's extra-curricular classes and who's teaching what each week. Digital tools ensure that my schedules and plans are always with me, قاب وتنك capable of being accessed anywhere.
Having digital tools at your fingertips certainly keeps you connected and organized! I find it impressive how you manage it all on your phone - jugging schedules, managing reminders, and keeping records. That's some serious multi-tasking right there!

I'm curious about these freezer meals you mentioned; they sound like a great idea for meal variety. Do you have any favorite go-to recipes that freeze well?

I find freezer meals helpful when I want to prep ahead but also want variety. Instead of eating the same dish repetitive days in a row, I prepare and freeze different meals. Then, I can just take out a couple of portions each day and heat them up for dinner.

For records and organization, I rely heavily on digital tools - Notes, Calendar, and Reminders apps on my phone help me stay on track with appointments and personal reminders. I also use Excel sheets to plan contentively - meals plans, groceries, and even keeping tabs on my kid's extra-curricular classes and who's teaching what each week. Digital tools ensure that my schedules and plans are always with me, قاب وتنك capable of being accessed anywhere.
That's so true! Freezer meals are a great way to keep things exciting; variety is the spice of life!

I find it helpful to label and date my freezer meals so that the older ones get priority in being eaten first. That way, I can also keep track of what's been in there for too long and might need to be discarded.

As for digital organization, it's a whole new world out there! I've been relying on paper methods, but you're right - going digital does have many advantages, especially being on-the-go accessible! I should really get into the habit of using apps more often. They can be pretty handy and integrate different aspects of our lives seamlessly.

Any recommendations for a good beginner-friendly planning app? That wouldn't hurt to have some cute aesthetics too! ;p

You're right about setting achievable deadlines! It's a delicate balance between challenging yourself and being reasonable with expectations. Otherwise, you might end up discouraged, which isn't motivating at all.

I find that 'time blocking' is a helpful strategy, which basically means dedicating specific time slots for different tasks or aspects of your life. For example, blocking family time, work time, me-time, etc., ensures that you give dedicated attention to each area without compromising others. This approach has the added benefit of providing structure to your day and helps switch off from work mode when it's not your focus.

Also, while this thread has focused mostly on planning, I think it's important to also acknowledge the importance of adaptability. Plans don't always go according to.. well, plan, so being flexible and rolling with the punches can equally help manage your time effectively!
You're absolutely right about adaptability; in fact, it's a crucial skill to learn! Being able to roll with the punches and adjust our plans based on circumstances helps us stay grounded in reality. Otherwise, we might end up frustrated and overwhelmed when things don't go as scheduled.

I find that along with planning, setting aside some buffer time each day is beneficial. That way, any sudden surprises or unexpected events won't throw your whole schedule off track. And of course, like you said, it's healthy to be realistic about what can reasonably be achieved in a specific time frame.

I'm curious: Do you have a particular strategy for staying flexible while still maintaining a structured routine?

Setting reasonable deadlines is a great technique I find that breaking down goals into smaller, manageable tasks makes them seem less intimidating and overwhelming too.

I also agree that having a visual workspace/ planner can help keep things in perspective, by giving you a good overview of your tasks and progress. Some people like digital tools, but I'm old school and enjoy physically ticking off completed tasks on my planner. There's satisfaction in visually seeing your accomplishments!

Perhaps a simple strategy, but a powerful mindset shift is also to think of the consequences if you don't accomplish certain tasks. It's a motivator to act promptly, especially for those who tend to procrastinate.

What about you, any other tips up your sleeve? We're on a roll here!
A visual workspace is motivating I use a large white board at home to keep track of my personal goals and plans - it's satisfying to quickly jot down ideas, and even more gratifying to erase them once they're accomplished.

To add, develop the habit of prioritizing. Not everything can (or should) be equally important. Picking the most critical tasks and giving them priority ensures that your time and efforts are aligned towards the most meaningful accomplishments. And sometimes, saying 'no' to some requests is a necessary evil - protecting your time becomes a form of self-care.

Setting reasonable deadlines is a great technique I find that breaking down goals into smaller, manageable tasks makes them seem less intimidating and overwhelming too.

I also agree that having a visual workspace/ planner can help keep things in perspective, by giving you a good overview of your tasks and progress. Some people like digital tools, but I'm old school and enjoy physically ticking off completed tasks on my planner. There's satisfaction in visually seeing your accomplishments!

Perhaps a simple strategy, but a powerful mindset shift is also to think of the consequences if you don't accomplish certain tasks. It's a motivator to act promptly, especially for those who tend to procrastinate.

What about you, any other tips up your sleeve? We're on a roll here!
The physical act of writing and crossing out accomplishments is satisfying I also find that giving every piece of information or task a designated place in my physical space helps me keep track and stay organized. For example, having a dedicated folder for important work documents and another pocket or folder for personal notes and schedules. Having specific filing systems or stationary organization may seem finicky, but it helps me mentally separate work and personal life - out of sight, out of mind.

I also agree with your notion of visualizing the consequences, which is a great way to stay motivated. I personally envision the end goal and the 'why' behind my tasks. Having a clear vision of the potential outcome keeps me on track; the bigger picture motivates me to push through.

Setting reasonable deadlines is a great tactic to stay on track. It's all about finding that sweet spot - breaking tasks into manageable sizes so you don't fizzle out. Larger goals can seem daunting and may lead to procrastination, so this technique keeps things in perspective.

I also see many parallels with project management skills and parenting! Any other strategies you guys use to stay focused?
Parenting certainly has lots of overlap with project management, especially when managing multiple responsibilities! I find that adopting a 'work backwards' mentality helps me stay focused on my goals. This technique involves mapping out the sequence of steps from the end goal back to the present - essentially working backwards to identify the path and tasks needed to get there. This approach ensures clarity on the journey ahead and keeps your eyes on the prize!

It's also helped me to cultivate a mindset of 'active mindfulness' - being deliberate in my attention to the present and what's ahead, rather than passive awareness. Being actively mindful allows me to filter out distractions and focus better on the tasks at hand, helping me navigate any multitasking scenarios more productively.

Setting reasonable deadlines is a great tactic to stay on track. It's all about finding that sweet spot - breaking tasks into manageable sizes so you don't fizzle out. Larger goals can seem daunting and may lead to procrastination, so this technique keeps things in perspective.

I also see many parallels with project management skills and parenting! Any other strategies you guys use to stay focused?
Being a parent requires multi-tasking on steroids.. but multitasking shouldn't mean losing sight of what's important in the blur. I make it a habit (more so a necessity, really) these days to streamline my attention on what truly matters - which includes designating quality time for my little one and husband, despite my bustling work life. It keeps me centered, reminds me why I'm maximizing my efforts, and gives a full perspective of the bigger picture.

As an avid learner, I find that the Pomodoro Technique suits my needs. invented by a gent named Francesco Cirillo, this method uses a timer to break down work into manageable 25-minute chunks, separated by short breaks. This helps me stay concentrated without burning out, and the sense of urgency helps to avoid procrastination too. The method's name derives from the Italian word for tomato -Cirillo used a tomato-shaped timer!

As a parent, multitasking is unavoidable so applying these focus methods helps me prevent attention splitting, enabling me to accomplish more in a focused manner. When mom's got multiple hats on, some structure is definitely helpful!

That's a good idea to use digital reminders for meal prep and grocery shopping. Using technology definitely helps to make things more efficient and neat, especially if you're the forgetful type. It's encouraging to see how everyone adapts to suit their own needs!

Do you use any particular apps for this purpose, or simply the native reminder functions on your devices? I'm curious as to whether there are any good recommendations folks might have for user-friendly and helpful apps in this realm.
I mainly use the standard Notes and Reminders apps that come with iOS. They're simple and straightforward, which I like because I don't need unnecessary frills, but they get the job done.

For meal inspiration and keeping track of recipes I'd like to try, I use the 'Save' feature on Instagram and Pinterest. It's a convenient way to collate ideas when you have some free time, then refer to them when planning your meals later. Quite often, cooking apps or food bloggers also suggest shopping lists accompanying their recipes, which is a handy feature I appreciate.

What about yourself? Any app recommendations for keeping organized, especially with food and grocery management?

Yeah, digital reminders are convenient and mess-free Ticking off items on a to-do list is satisfying; crossing out stuff gives a sense of progress and accomplishment. Compartmentalizing journals is a smart way to keep work-life separate, so you don't get overwhelmed by mixing emotions.
It's true - the simple act of physically ticking completed tasks provides a sense of achievement! It's a satisfying sensation knowing you've accomplished something, no matter how small.

You're right! Having an organized system in place helps keep things from becoming overwhelming, especially with Singapore's busy pace of life! It's all about finding what works best for you - physical journals or digital reminders - to stay on top of your schedule.
Some people are just gifted with extra organizational skills! You included, perhaps? It's okay if others don't share the same zeal though - we can learn from you guys!

You're right! Having an organized system in place helps keep things from becoming overwhelming, especially with Singapore's busy pace of life! It's all about finding what works best for you - physical journals or digital reminders - to stay on top of your schedule.
Having a routine helps, but it's also essential to adapt and stay adaptable since plans can change quickly! You never know what life has in store.

You're absolutely right! It's incredible how these simple strategies can help us make the most of our time and actually feel productive, especially when there's so much going on. It's a great way to stay focused too, without getting overwhelmed.
Simple strategies really are the building blocks - sometimes we overcomplicate things when simplicity works just as well (if not better!). This chat has been helpful for sure; lots of handy insights to pick up and adapt!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu