• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maximize Your Time

That is a smart approach! Using a calendar effectively ensures you give adequate attention to different aspects of your life. The digital reminder notifications are helpful, especially when we have a packed schedule and multiple roles to juggle. Living by a purposeful motto is an insightful idea; I like how it helps you feel in control of your time!
I've also heard of people keeping a 'someday maybe' list, which helps remove tasks that aren't urgent but are important for the long run. Writing them down ensures they're not forgotten but acknowledged as projects for later - an efficient way of sorting one's commitments, especially during busy times!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and sunnydays
That is a smart approach! Using a calendar effectively ensures you give adequate attention to different aspects of your life. The digital reminder notifications are helpful, especially when we have a packed schedule and multiple roles to juggle. Living by a purposeful motto is an insightful idea; I like how it helps you feel in control of your time!
Using a simple motto can make a world of difference; sometimes, we overcomplicate our routines, whereas simplicity can be the key to effectiveness. That's an important reminder!

I love hearing these little hacks that help keep us organized and grounded - it's amazing how creative we can get with finding mindfulness amid our busy lives. At the end of the day, it's all about ensuring our well-being while managing multiple responsibilities.

Yes, having some form of organization certainly helps me keep afloat amidst the busyness of life - the calendar, plus my intuitive 'not-to-do' list, which ensures that I prioritize what truly matters and ditch the rest! It's funny how some days I feel like a full-time scheduler, planner, and organizer... especially with two kids running circles around me, haha! But it's all worth it in the end.

Yes having a purposeful strategy makes me feel like I'm making the most of my days. Otherwise, the hours can just slip away when you're busy with family life! It's also a good way to ensure that you don't over-schedule and burn yourself out. You gotta give yourself some breathing space too!

That's an interesting strategy to trick your mind into prioritizing tasks! I usually pencil in the bigger more ambiguous tasks like 'work' or 'playtime' so as not to forget, especially if they are unusual occurrences. But it's good to hear your take on it and how you maximize your time through that method!
Using vague categories like "work" is a good way to remind yourself of the broader goals and prevent micro-managing your calendar. That technique can definitely help us stay mindful of different areas in our lives needing attention, especially when dealing with an overflowing to-do list!

That's an effective strategy! Keeping a visual record of your plans and scheduling reminders ensures you stay committed to your priorities. It's a great way to ensure nothing slips through the cracks.
I find that having a visual or written record is helpful for memory reinforcement, especially when balancing multiple commitments. Digital calendars are a Godsend for visual organizers like myself! But I also keep a physical planner as a backup and for the satisfying act of striking off completed tasks!

That's an effective strategy! Keeping a visual record of your plans and scheduling reminders ensures you stay committed to your priorities. It's a great way to ensure nothing slips through the cracks.
I also find that writing things down or using a visual tool like a checklist or vision board can help with time management, especially for us forgetful folks! There's satisfaction in ticking off completed tasks too.

That's an interesting strategy to trick your mind into prioritizing tasks! I usually pencil in the bigger more ambiguous tasks like 'work' or 'playtime' so as not to forget, especially if they are unusual occurrences. But it's good to hear your take on it and how you maximize your time through that method!
That's an excellent idea to schedule in some fun activities too - a great way to remind us to slow down amidst our bustling lives! I find that taking short breaks in between also help reset my mind, especially when dealing with more laborious tasks. Sometimes, that momentary disconnect does the brain good!

It's really these little hacks that help me navigate my to-do lists without feeling too overwhelmed! I'm sure many busy parents would benefit from adopting this strategy, or at least some variation of it suited to their style. It's a great topic for discussion!

That is a great strategy! Having a visual calendar keeps your goals and tasks in front of you. It also helps to keep you accountable and organize your time based on your priorities. Reminders are a wonderful way to stay focused too; they provide gentle nudges to keep you on track so you don't lose sight of what's important to you!
I find that the physical act of ticking off completed tasks gives a sense of satisfaction and keeps me motivated as well!

That is a great strategy! Having a visual calendar keeps your goals and tasks in front of you. It also helps to keep you accountable and organize your time based on your priorities. Reminders are a wonderful way to stay focused too; they provide gentle nudges to keep you on track so you don't lose sight of what's important to you!
That's true; sometimes, all we need is a nudge in the right direction. It's also comforting to have a visual representation of our goals and tasks. Digital calendars with reminders are undoubtedly convenient, but I prefer the old-school approach of writing things down. There's something satisfying about ticking off completed tasks on pen and paper!

That's an interesting approach! Living by a personal motto is a great reminder to stay focused on your priorities. Thanks for sharing!
I find that having a personal rule or motto can be a powerful intentional guide in our busy lives! You're most welcome; hope it helps you too, in some small way!

Meal planning is a lifesaver, though some days it can be challenging to come up with new and exciting meals. I rely on tried-and-true recipes most of the time but try to switch things up every once in a while to keep things interesting.

To stay organized, alongside my meal plans, I also maintain a 'family activities' calendar using an old-school whiteboard. It helps me keep track of important dates, appointments, and events. I involve my kid in planning her activities, which also excites her and makes her feel involved. I also have a 'miscellaneous' section in my notes app for random things I need to remember - everything from ingredients I need to pick up at the grocery store to doctor's appointments to a list of potential holiday destinations. I find that digital notes are a lifesaver as they can be easily synced and accessed across devices; there's no risk of misplacing them, which is a win in my book!

I'm sure other parents here would love to hear more ideas too for staying on top of the daily chaos! It's encouraging to see how others stay organized too.
My meal planning usually consists of simple, quick recipes and ingredients that can be prepped ahead - less stressful that way! I agree that digital notes are helpful; they keep my life a little more sorted. As a parent, it's reassuring to hear about other moms' organization strategies and their survival kits!

I find that as a parent, it helps to anticipate the potential needs or tantrums that might slow me down during the day. Having a couple of go-to tactics up my sleeve works wonders when faced with unforeseen circumstances.

For example, having some snacks readily available can be a lifesaver when dealing with a hungry kid in a grocery store. Or stowing away a hidden stash of toys/books that only come out during desperate moments buys me some well-needed quiet time!

Being prepared often feels impossible with the unpredictability of parenthood, but a little foreplaning goes a long way and gives you confidence when things don't go to plan. It's like having a secret weapon up your sleeve!

Also, it might be useful to keep a running list of 'slowtime' activities - these are special treats that can only be done when you have some down-time, so they feel like an extra special reward for getting through the tough times. A sort of parent version of the kids' treat stash!
That's spot on! Being one step ahead as a parent definitely saves time and reduces stressors, even if it's just preparing a bag of tricks for those meltdown moments. Your slow-time activity idea is a nice, creative way to incentivize smooth sailing through mundane everyday tasks!

I find that as a parent, it helps to anticipate the potential needs or tantrums that might slow me down during the day. Having a couple of go-to tactics up my sleeve works wonders when faced with unforeseen circumstances.

For example, having some snacks readily available can be a lifesaver when dealing with a hungry kid in a grocery store. Or stowing away a hidden stash of toys/books that only come out during desperate moments buys me some well-needed quiet time!

Being prepared often feels impossible with the unpredictability of parenthood, but a little foreplaning goes a long way and gives you confidence when things don't go to plan. It's like having a secret weapon up your sleeve!

Also, it might be useful to keep a running list of 'slowtime' activities - these are special treats that can only be done when you have some down-time, so they feel like an extra special reward for getting through the tough times. A sort of parent version of the kids' treat stash!
preparing in advance for the unexpected is a great strategy! Having a flexible plan for various situations is a fantastic way to navigate the unknown and unpredictable nature of parenthood.

Your snack and toy stipends are genius ideas to distract and delight when needed! And I love the notion of a 'slowtime' activities list - a parents' secret weapon It's a wonderful way to keep some sanity and enjoy those moments while they last.

Keeping a list of engaging, time-consuming activities can also help occupying kids during busy or chaotic periods, like a doctor's waits or long queues, which otherwise could be stressful. I'm sure other parents would love to hear more of these ingenious tactics too!

You're absolutely right about being one step ahead as a parent! It's a great idea to have backup snacks and toys on hand; distraction is a powerful tool when managing little ones' emotions. I love your 'slowtime' activities suggestion - creating those special moments also makes the mundane tasks more enjoyable!

Keeping a list of distracting activities is definitely something I'll be adopting. You're right about making parenthood a little less daunting when we're better prepared, especially with a backup plan!

As a parent, adaptability is key! Being flexible with my plans has helped me manage expectations and keep my sanity haha! Kids can really throw you some surprises sometimes.

I make it a point now to prepare for last-minute changes by having some quick, go-to activities up my sleeve for when my son is home sick or when his plans suddenly fall through. I keep a stock of art supplies, books, and board games that we can fall back on. Having this little stash has saved me plenty of times, and it's also great for days when we just need some cozy indoor fun.

I also rely a lot on my support network. Having helping hands around makes a huge difference, whether it's babysitters or friends who can lend an ear while sharing the load. Reach out to your community; it takes a village to raise a child, right?!

Lastly, I'd say involve your little ones in your daily tasks. My son enjoys helping me with simple things in the kitchen, and on laundry days, he likes to sort out his clothes into piles (and sometimes, so does my husband!). It teaches them life skills and keeps them occupied while giving you some company. Win-win!
I love the idea of having a stash of activities and engaging the little ones in household chores! Teaching them young certainly makes a difference in their development and gives them a sense of responsibility too. And you're right about having a support system - it really takes some weight off your shoulders when you have someone to rely on, be it for venting or for help!

Meal planning is a lifesaver, especially freeze-ahead meals portioned out for the days when I know I'll be too time-crunched to cook. It's like having a little frozen insurance that helps me stick to our healthy eating habits.

As for staying organized, it'd have to be my trusty paper planner! I've tried digital methods, but there's something about physically writing down appointments and reminders that helps me remember them better. I also use sticker packs to add a fun element to it so I'm more inclined to check and update my planner regularly. It has become a little ritual for me to review and rewrite my to-do lists, penning down goals and dreams too. seems like a simple act, but it keeps me grounded and focused on what matters.

For creative meal planning, I sometimes theme our meals based on cuisines! We could have Italian night with pizza or pasta, or go Asian with some ramen or sushi. It makes meal times an adventure and the kids love helping decide on the weekly menu and cooking up a storm. It's also an excellent way to expose them to diverse cultures and cuisines - we even learn a thing or two about the countries and their traditions!

What about you? Do you have any fun ways to keep your planning systems interesting?
I like how you introduce themes into meal times! It adds variety and makes each mealtime an adventure.

I too share your love for pen and paper; there's a satisfaction in physically checking things off my list. Stickers and stationary make this mundane task feel a lot more fancy and enjoyable! I often keep a pretty journal just for fun lists and notes - makes me feel like I'm doing something special while organizing my life. haha!

My go-to trick to keeping things interesting is incorporating little surprises or rewards into everyday tasks. Something as simple as a fun fact tucked away in a lunch box or a silly joke stuck on the fridge can add some unexpected cheer and brighten up an ordinary day. keeps things lighthearted, especially when things get mundane or stressful!

I should also mention that my secret obsession is collecting cool containers and storage - they keep everything organized and make me feel like I've conquered the mess, even if it's just temporarily haha. Just seeing the colorful stacks in the pantry makes me feel good!

As a parent, adaptability is key! Being flexible with my plans has helped me manage expectations and keep my sanity haha! Kids can really throw you some surprises sometimes.

I make it a point now to prepare for last-minute changes by having some quick, go-to activities up my sleeve for when my son is home sick or when his plans suddenly fall through. I keep a stock of art supplies, books, and board games that we can fall back on. Having this little stash has saved me plenty of times, and it's also great for days when we just need some cozy indoor fun.

I also rely a lot on my support network. Having helping hands around makes a huge difference, whether it's babysitters or friends who can lend an ear while sharing the load. Reach out to your community; it takes a village to raise a child, right?!

Lastly, I'd say involve your little ones in your daily tasks. My son enjoys helping me with simple things in the kitchen, and on laundry days, he likes to sort out his clothes into piles (and sometimes, so does my husband!). It teaches them life skills and keeps them occupied while giving you some company. Win-win!
As a mom myself, I totally agree that having a support system and a flexible mindset is crucial! You never know what's gonna fly or tank with the little ones, so having backup plans within plans is a great idea!

I love the idea of including kids in chores; it's a good way to get some help and spend quality time together while teaching them life skills. My girl loves 'helping' me dust and vacuum, and I often let her decide which veggies go into the shopping cart, which adds some fun to the grocery run.

And you're so right about having some backup activities for sick days or sudden cancellations; those unexpected downtimes can be a blessing in disguise if we're prepared! It's good to have a few engaging indoor options at hand - and a stash of snacks never hurt anyone either! Haha.

Adaptability is definitely an art, and it's comforting to know that other mamas have figured out some great coping strategies! Community and shared experiences are what keep us going - and knowing I'm not alone in the daily juggles helps me embrace the chaos too! 😊

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu