• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Life made easy

That's a great one! Bulk preparing meals definitely helps to save time, especially on those busy work days. I try to do this once every week or two and stock up the freezer with home-cooked food. It's amazing how it simplifies life but also ensures we eat healthy, home-cooked meals rather than turning to takeaway.
That's right! There are so many benefits to batch cooking and freezing meals - it definitely makes life easier!

That's a great one! Bulk preparing meals definitely helps to save time, especially on those busy work days. I try to do this once every week or two and stock up the freezer with home-cooked food. It's amazing how it simplifies life but also ensures we eat healthy, home-cooked meals rather than turning to takeaway.
It does feel so rewarding to have some delicious, healthy, home-cooked frozen meals at hand doesn't it? Having a good stock frozen dinners also encourages experimenting with new recipes! What are some of your favourite dishes to prep and freeze? I'm always keen on ideas for variety!

I find it helpful to have a few reliable, easy recipes up my sleeve for those busy days - pasta dishes are a staple in our house for those nights!

That's true - batch cooking is great, especially for busy weekdays! What do you typically cook in batches? Any recommendations for lazy cooks?
I usually just pick easy-to-freeze meals like soups and stews, which are often the go-to's for most people because they're hassle-free. Chili and curries also freeze well, and so does bolognese - they're my son's favourite, probably because of the meaty taste!

That's a great way to make use of your previous meal and save time on meal prep for the next day too!
That's true! Having a ready meal or two stashed away takes a lot of pressure off parents when mealtime strikes and hunger pangs are loud. It's a simple yet effective method of simplifying life as a parent with young children!

That's a great way to make use of your previous meal and save time on meal prep for the next day too!
Yes, it's such a time saver and also reduces the amount of food wasted, especially if you're only cooking for one or two people! It becomes challenging to finish an entire meal without having some leftovers.

Yeah, I guess it helps that my kids are mostly good eaters, so I don't have to worry about them not finishing their meals or getting picky about what I serve. But yup, cutting down prep time by doing some advance work is a great way to make life easier on busy days.

I find that keeping a stocked pantry helps as well - you never know what meals you can whip up with the right ingredients on hand! It's also helpful when you can't go out grocery shopping because of busy schedules or rain-soaked days.

That's true - batch cooking is great, especially for busy weekdays! What do you typically cook in batches? Any recommendations for lazy cooks?
I usually go for meals that freeze well, like stews, soups, and even some pasta sauces. That way, I can just defrost and reheat them when needed. Some of my favorites are chicken stew with vegetables, minestrone soup, and bolognese sauce, which freezes well and is great for quick meals. You can also batch cook some roasted veggies like carrots and broccoli, which you can then use in quiches or salads. Essentially anything goes - just make sure you portion them out after cooking and pop them into the freezer!

For lazy cooks, I'd recommend choosing simple recipes with few ingredients, which you can freeze and forget till needed. One-pan roasted veggies like zucchini, peppers, and onions are easy and tasty. You could also try frozen fish dishes, as fish is a great healthy option that defrosts quickly. Perhaps a simple baked salmon fillet with lemon and herbs that can be portioned out - delicious and nutritious!

I'd recommend meals with simple ingredients that can be frozen and readily reheated without compromise. For example, stews, soups, or even one-pot pasta dishes like a hearty minestrone or spag bol - they're filling and easy to freeze in portions. Also, roasted chicken works well too - it's versatile because you can eat it as is or shred it for sandwiches/wraps.

That's a great idea! Meal preparation ensures that you have a variety of foods ready and reduces the temptation to grab fast food when short on time. It's also a helpful strategy for ensuring different meal options for the family with different tastes and dietary needs.
I keep things simple with batch cooking, nothing too fancy - chilli con carne, bolognese sauce, and sometimes curry chicken or mutton stew. These meals can be frozen and are delicious when warmed and served with rice or pasta. You might want to add a fresh salad on the side for a more balanced meal, but that's the beauty of it - everyone can personalize their plate.

That's a great idea! Meal preparation ensures that you have a variety of foods ready and reduces the temptation to grab fast food when short on time. It's also a helpful strategy for ensuring different meal options for the family with different tastes and dietary needs.
I typically cook pasta or rice in batches, and they come in handy for quick one-dish meals. Sometimes I'll do a big batch of stews or soupy meals too, which can last a few days. Lasagne is another favorite - it's easy to prepare in advance and freeze. For lazy cooks, I'd recommend one-pot meals; they're simple and minimal cleanup!

As for me, I usually batch cook chicken dishes, as they're versatile and can be used in multiple meals. Chicken chests especially are great because they're lean and a healthier option. Baking or roasting a couple in advance means an easy, hassle-free protein source to go with various sides. Stir-fries, salads, or sandwiches can be put together quickly using cooked chicken. Also, I've found that freezing them is a great way to preserve the meat, and it saves time defrosting later!

I typically cook hearty soups or stews that can be frozen and defrosted later. My go-to recipe is a minestrone soup with hidden veggies - it's chock full of nutrients and hiding them makes it a breeze to get the fussy eater in our house to eat his veggies. Chilli con carne is another freezer staple, which is a delicious one-pot meal and easy to whip up in larger quantities.

I've also learned that preparing and portioning out meat, especially chicken and fish fillets, is a real timesaver. It's convenient to just grab some defrosted, marinated protein when you're short on cooking time and helps to keep meals interesting with minimal effort.

That's a great way to make sure you're not cooking every single meal from scratch, which can be exhausting, especially for busy moms! I'll add that using disposable cookware for some meals helps too; less cleanup is always welcomed :)
any reduction in prep time and cleaning up is a huge help! Having some quick and easy recipes or even ready-to-eat snacks on hand saves the day, especially when you're tired from a long day out.

Are there any simple, lazy-mom recipes you turn to for these situations?

I'd recommend dishes that freeze well and can be easily portioned out, like stews, curries, or one-pot meals. My personal favorites are chicken stew with vegetables and chunky beans, and minestrone soup - they're comforting, easy to eat, and full of flavor. Lasagne and grilled salmon portions work well too, though they might get a bit messy if not handled carefully when defrosting. For something simple, boiling a batch of chicken or beef stock and freezing them in ice cube trays is an easy way to have broth ready for soup or cooking rice. You can also add different herbs and spices to the broth cubes to jazz things up later on.

That's a great way to make sure you're not cooking every single meal from scratch, which can be exhausting, especially for busy moms! I'll add that using disposable cookware for some meals helps too; less cleanup is always welcomed :)
Disposable cookware definitely helps with cutting down the amount of washing up, an absolute timesaver and a real convenience, especially when you're tired at the end of the day. I also rely on quick, simple recipes that use one pot or pan - less dish washing is always a bonus! Stews, one-pan fries, pasta dishes, and roasted veggies are some lazy cooks' go-tos in my household.

reducing the cleaning time is a huge bonus! I also rely on my slow cooker and pressure cooker for some hands-off cooking. For lazy yet tasty meals, I'd recommend a hearty stew, chili or even puliyodharai (a South Indian rice dish) - these are easy to freeze and Reheat without compromising taste.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu