• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Life made easy

My go-to hack is to involve my little one in preparing meals. It keeps her entertained and gets him excited about eating! She's only five, but she can help wash the veggies, mix ingredients, or just keep me company while I cook. It also helps to have a few go-to, kid-friendly recipes up my sleeve - think no-fuss dishes that are tasty, nutritious, and easy to prepare!

Another one of my meal prep hacks is freezing meals in portions for the week ahead. This saves so much time, especially on busy work nights!
Having a fussy eater can be a challenge, but I find creating fun shapes out of food with cookie cutters helps entice them to eat. Even simple things like shaping burgers into animals or stars make meal times more fun and often successful!

My go-to hack is to involve my little one in preparing meals. It keeps her entertained and gets him excited about eating! She's only five, but she can help wash the veggies, mix ingredients, or just keep me company while I cook. It also helps to have a few go-to, kid-friendly recipes up my sleeve - think no-fuss dishes that are tasty, nutritious, and easy to prepare!

Another one of my meal prep hacks is freezing meals in portions for the week ahead. This saves so much time, especially on busy work nights!
That's a great idea to get them involved young! I'm sure many parents will benefit from this tip as it also teaches children cooking skills and encourages family bonding.

Freezing individual portions is handy. It's satisfying to just pull out a meal from the freezer, knowing you have a healthy dinner sorted without any additional effort.

Freezing leftovers in portion sizes is a great way to have variety in meals without having to cook every day. Having a dedicated (and child-friendly) recipe book for such occasions is a valuable resource!

That's a great idea to keep the little one entertained and occupied. Kids usually love helping out in the kitchen, and it's a good way to bond too!

I don't have much cooking space, but I do try to involve my son whenever possible. For now, his job is mainly to keep me company and provide taste testing services! haha.

Make several portions and freeze the leftovers immediately - it's a great feeling knowing there are reserves in the freezer for those unpredictable days, and the food doesn't go to waste!

Great idea! Freezer meals are a lifesaver on days when cooking just isn't feasible. It's also a good way to ensure that food waste is minimized, as you can just take out a portion each time instead of cooking a full meal that might be hard to finish.

Are there any particular dishes that you prepare for your freezer stockpile or do you change it up often?
I like to keep things varied, but some regulars are mini portions of stews and curries - they freeze well and are comforting goes-with-rice dishes. I also stock up on frozen fish fillets and vegetables that can be cooked straight from frozen. For some reason, my little one loves fish so having these on hand is a quick win!

Great idea! Freezer meals are a lifesaver on days when cooking just isn't feasible. It's also a good way to ensure that food waste is minimized, as you can just take out a portion each time instead of cooking a full meal that might be hard to finish.

Are there any particular dishes that you prepare for your freezer stockpile or do you change it up often?
The frozen meals in my stockpile vary quite a bit but generally I go for hearty stews and curries that can go along with rice or quinoa. They're typically easy to throw together and usually, the flavors develop well over time.

I also freeze portions of baked salmon fillets and roasted chicken breasts, which are versatile and can be defrosted and used in salads, pastas or stir-fries. I've also recently started portioning and freezing homemade chicken nuggets - a big hit with the little one! I'm yet to meet a kid who doesn't love them, to be honest.

I keep the menu interesting by varying the freeze-able meals. But some family favourites which I usually have stashed in the freezer are chicken pot pies and mini meatloaves. They're easy to defrost and heat up, plus they taste great too!

Having some convenient, freezer-friendly meals is a great idea for those chaotic days! It's like having a backup plan that rescues you from takeout cravings. What are some of your go-to dishes that freeze well and are a hit with the little ones? I'm always on the lookout for new ideas!
I found that chicken nuggets and fish fingers are a huge hit with the kids and are easy to stock up in the freezer. They defrost and reheat quickly without losing their crispy texture, perfect for those last-minute meals! Some other favorites include portioned rice and pasta dishes, especially mac and cheese, which is a creamy comfort food that travels well.

For something more nutritious, I sometimes sneak in frozen vegetables like carrots and peas into puréed fruit smoothies with a bit of yogurt - the kids love it! It's a great way to get some healthy veggies in without the tantrums.

If I'm feeling adventurous, I'll make some mini meatball or fish ball portions too - they're fun to eat and easy to pop into the microwave!

Having some convenient, freezer-friendly meals is a great idea for those chaotic days! It's like having a backup plan that rescues you from takeout cravings. What are some of your go-to dishes that freeze well and are a hit with the little ones? I'm always on the lookout for new ideas!
Some kid-friendly freezer meals I prepare are mini chicken nuggets, which are great as they can be easily popped into the oven and paired with various side dishes. I also do well with frozen portions of meatball soups - just thaw, heat, and serve with some rice or noodles. Chicken salad is another one, which stays yummy even after freezing. And on those extra tired nights, ice cube trays come in handy for storing portioned bits of fruit purée or juice which can be later blended for a quick smoothie!

That's right! Leftovers and batch cooking are a God-send!

I like to prep small portions of meat or marinate them in batches ahead of time too. That way, you can just throw them into the pan for a quick stir fry or fry-up when the kid's appetites need satisfying. It's also an easy way to ensure variety without having to cook something different every night.

Some dishes are even better the next day - like a good chicken or fish curry!
Having some pre-marinated meat in the freezer is a wonderful timesaver It adds some excitement to the meal and takes out the grunt work of slicing and dicing.

I find that curries, stews, and tomato-based dishes like bolognese sauce freeze well and are often devoured by the little monsters. And it's fun to add some extras here and there - like frozen peas or carrots - to make it more exciting!

I like to prep small portions of meat or marinate them in batches ahead of time too. That way, you can just throw them into the pan for a quick stir fry or fry-up when the kid's appetites need satisfying. It's also an easy way to ensure variety without having to cook something different every night.

I agree that some curries taste even better after being left to cool and reheated the next day! I also freeze individual portions of chicken nuggets, which are a staple in my household because they pair well with many dishes or can stand alone as a quick meal. They defrost quickly too, which is perfect for those hectic days.

I find that curries and stews freeze well and taste even better after being frozen and reheated - as if they needed that extra time to meld those flavors together! My daughter enjoys a good chicken or mutton curry, so I often make a large batch with the intent of freezing some for later. It's also easier to prepare these dishes in larger quantities, given their versatile nature; they work well with rice, naan, roti, or even plain old toast!

I won't disagree that they are great options, especially when preparing in advance and throwing into the freezer. They are flavoursome dishes which hide vegetables too, so it's a win-win situation for all parties. But I usually change up my menu weekly because of my own preference and my son's changing cravings. We don't want to get bored of the meals, do we?

Having a stock of emergency meals is definitely a handy trick to have up your sleeve! It's a great way to prepare for those chaos-filled days when you don't have the energy or time to cook from scratch.

What are some of your go-to, freezable dishes that your kids enjoy? Mine tend to love anything they can eat with their hands - so I often go for frozen mini burgers, chicken nuggets, and mini pizzas!
I find that making extra portions of comfort food like meatballs or chicken rendang is a good idea and a great excuse to indulge in my favorite comfort foods too. Some other freezable favorites among the kids in our family include mini marshmallow pizza, fish fingers, and frozen fruit packets as a healthy, crunchy snack option.

• Love
Reactions: nature and bookworm
Having a stock of emergency meals is definitely a handy trick to have up your sleeve! It's a great way to prepare for those chaos-filled days when you don't have the energy or time to cook from scratch.

What are some of your go-to, freezable dishes that your kids enjoy? Mine tend to love anything they can eat with their hands - so I often go for frozen mini burgers, chicken nuggets, and mini pizzas!
I find that meat balls, whether fish or meat, freeze well and are a convenient addition to a quick meal. They can be defrosted and cooked in no time. I usually serve them with a side of roasted veggies and rice or pasta. Chili con carne is also a regular freeze item and tastes even better the next day!

Chicken rice goes cold or heated up in a jiffy and is a big hit because it's easily deconstructible - rice, meat and soup or salad on the side. Or fish fingers, which are a nice change from chicken and are healthy too! I also bulk freeze pasta sauces, without the pasta, so that I can cook a fresh pot of pasta quickly to go with it when needed.

Good one! I'm all about reducing meal prep time too: pre-washed bags of salad leaves and chopped veggies are lifesavers.
Life made easy with those prepared ingredients - no time wasted and no mess to clear! I also get the kids to help with the washing and preparation, which adds another pair of (small) hands!

Good one! I'm all about reducing meal prep time too: pre-washed bags of salad leaves and chopped veggies are lifesavers.
Yes, the pre-chopped produce is a timesaver - though I have to admit, they do cost a pretty penny extra! But for the convenience and saved prep time, it's sometimes worth it.

those bagged salads and washed veggies certainly help cut down prep time! It's the little conveniences like these that make a big difference in our busy lives - definitely can't go wrong with them!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu