• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Learning Beyond Classes

Some are naturally good at keeping students on their toes (and sitting still, somehow). It's a sight to behold when it happens, almost magical. It makes me wonder if there should be a separate award for teachers alongside the Nobel Prizes, solely recognizing those who have demonstrated exceptional talent in teaching!
I think that's a fantastic idea! An official acclaim like that would definitely motivate many educators.

I think that's a fantastic idea! An official acclaim like that would definitely motivate many educators.
That's a good discussion we had going there. It's great to acknowledge the efforts of these exceptional teachers and I hope someone is taking notes somewhere to make your suggestion a reality someday.

On another note, what are your thoughts on encouraging students who are not naturally curious or engaged in learning? How can we encourage them to embrace the joy of discovering new knowledge?

That's a good discussion we had going there. It's great to acknowledge the efforts of these exceptional teachers and I hope someone is taking notes somewhere to make your suggestion a reality someday.

On another note, what are your thoughts on encouraging students who are not naturally curious or engaged in learning? How can we encourage them to embrace the joy of discovering new knowledge?
It's tricky because every student learns differently, and many factors could influence their engagement level. Some students might need more tactile approaches, while others respond better to a more collaborative style. It's part of the teacher's skill set to identify these learners and adapt accordingly, which is unfortunately not an easy task, as we've established it's an art in itself!

For those who are resistant to learning altogether, there's usually an underlying reason. It could be that the material doesn't interest them, or learning hasn't been made fun enough; some might also struggle with the course content or feel dismotivated due to personal issues. Teachers should attempt to identify these reasons and adapt accordingly. I'd hate to think a student would disengage because of a teacher's lack of effort in trying to spark their interest!

Encouraging students to ask questions and providing them with opportunities to explore their curiosities, without fear of judgment, is essential. Making learning fun extends beyond the classroom too. Parents and the community also have a role in fostering a positive perception of learning. Unfortunately, it's a common misconception that learning is only confined to schools!

So this whole experience involves many stakeholders, from parents and teachers to policymakers. Each has a role in nurturing curious and engaged learners!

It's tricky because every student learns differently, and many factors could influence their engagement level. Some students might need more tactile approaches, while others respond better to a more collaborative style. It's part of the teacher's skill set to identify these learners and adapt accordingly, which is unfortunately not an easy task, as we've established it's an art in itself!

For those who are resistant to learning altogether, there's usually an underlying reason. It could be that the material doesn't interest them, or learning hasn't been made fun enough; some might also struggle with the course content or feel dismotivated due to personal issues. Teachers should attempt to identify these reasons and adapt accordingly. I'd hate to think a student would disengage because of a teacher's lack of effort in trying to spark their interest!

Encouraging students to ask questions and providing them with opportunities to explore their curiosities, without fear of judgment, is essential. Making learning fun extends beyond the classroom too. Parents and the community also have a role in fostering a positive perception of learning. Unfortunately, it's a common misconception that learning is only confined to schools!

So this whole experience involves many stakeholders, from parents and teachers to policymakers. Each has a role in nurturing curious and engaged learners!
You're right about the misconception that learning takes place only within the four walls of a classroom - the learning ecosystem involves so many more parties beyond the school system! It's indeed a collaborative effort across various stakeholders to light the spark of curiosity and fan it into a flame.

I like how you pointed out the need to address the root causes of disengagement. Teaching staff could certainly use more training in identifying the different learning styles of their charges and adapting lesson plans accordingly especially for those who require additional encouragement to keep them intrigued. This is another art form in itself and an essential one at that!

An intriguing topic, indeed. What do you think some of these teacher superpowers should entail, beyond the usual suspects of adaptability and creativity?

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
You're right about the misconception that learning takes place only within the four walls of a classroom - the learning ecosystem involves so many more parties beyond the school system! It's indeed a collaborative effort across various stakeholders to light the spark of curiosity and fan it into a flame.

I like how you pointed out the need to address the root causes of disengagement. Teaching staff could certainly use more training in identifying the different learning styles of their charges and adapting lesson plans accordingly especially for those who require additional encouragement to keep them intrigued. This is another art form in itself and an essential one at that!

An intriguing topic, indeed. What do you think some of these teacher superpowers should entail, beyond the usual suspects of adaptability and creativity?
Beyond the obvious skills of adaptability and creativity, which are already exceptional superpowers in themselves, teachers could also benefit from possessing the following additional traits:

- A sharp dose of empathy: Being able to understand students' sentiments and perspectives, especially when dealing with disciplined issues, would go a long way in building rapport and motivation.

- Super observation skills: To pick up on body language and subtle cues that students may exhibit, which could hint at their level of engagement or understanding (or lack thereof!), and teachers could then modify their approach accordingly.

- A spritz of humour: A little quirkiness and a good sense of humour can make lessons more enjoyable and help break the ice during dry topics. Humor's not everyone's forte, but it certainly helps in keeping students engaged!

These are just some additional superpowers I'd love to see teachers wield. The education sector would definitely benefit from such superhuman abilities!

Beyond the obvious skills of adaptability and creativity, which are already exceptional superpowers in themselves, teachers could also benefit from possessing the following additional traits:

- A sharp dose of empathy: Being able to understand students' sentiments and perspectives, especially when dealing with disciplined issues, would go a long way in building rapport and motivation.

- Super observation skills: To pick up on body language and subtle cues that students may exhibit, which could hint at their level of engagement or understanding (or lack thereof!), and teachers could then modify their approach accordingly.

- A spritz of humour: A little quirkiness and a good sense of humour can make lessons more enjoyable and help break the ice during dry topics. Humor's not everyone's forte, but it certainly helps in keeping students engaged!

These are just some additional superpowers I'd love to see teachers wield. The education sector would definitely benefit from such superhuman abilities!
Indeed, the characteristics you've outlined are unique superpowers in their own right and teachers possessing these skills would be very effective in capturing the attention of their students. Do you have any experiences, good or bad, that have left a lasting impression on your perception of teachers and their impact on students?

Indeed, the characteristics you've outlined are unique superpowers in their own right and teachers possessing these skills would be very effective in capturing the attention of their students. Do you have any experiences, good or bad, that have left a lasting impression on your perception of teachers and their impact on students?
As an ex-student, I had a Music teacher back in secondary school who was, to say the least, exceptional. Her passion for music was infectious, and it definitely rubbed off on many students who went on to continue learning a musical instrument beyond the classroom.

She was rigorous in ensuring that we understood the theories behind the music, and not just the notes on the page. Her lessons were engaging and interactive; there was always lots of student participation, which kept us interested and motivated. Under her tutelage, the school band went from zeroes to heroes, winning medals at a local band competition!

Looking back, Ms. F's superpowers definitely included empathy and superb observation skills - she knew how to keep us in line and was adept at drawing the best out of each individual. Her dedication left a profound impression, and it made me appreciate the art of teaching and its influence on students. Teaching staff like her definitely deserve extra appreciation!

As an ex-student, I had a Music teacher back in secondary school who was, to say the least, exceptional. Her passion for music was infectious, and it definitely rubbed off on many students who went on to continue learning a musical instrument beyond the classroom.

She was rigorous in ensuring that we understood the theories behind the music, and not just the notes on the page. Her lessons were engaging and interactive; there was always lots of student participation, which kept us interested and motivated. Under her tutelage, the school band went from zeroes to heroes, winning medals at a local band competition!

Looking back, Ms. F's superpowers definitely included empathy and superb observation skills - she knew how to keep us in line and was adept at drawing the best out of each individual. Her dedication left a profound impression, and it made me appreciate the art of teaching and its influence on students. Teaching staff like her definitely deserve extra appreciation!
Ms F sounds fantastic! It's teachers like her that really leave an impact and mould the younger generation for the better. That's wonderful to hear :)

Do you think there should be more emphasis on these 'superpowers' when training new teachers, or is it something that some educators are born with?

Ms F sounds fantastic! It's teachers like her that really leave an impact and mould the younger generation for the better. That's wonderful to hear :)

Do you think there should be more emphasis on these 'superpowers' when training new teachers, or is it something that some educators are born with?
I think some individuals are indeed naturally gifted with an innate ability to connect and teach others, possessing those aforementioned superpowers. However, I also believe that these skills can be cultivated and developed through targeted training.

Educators undergo a lot of training to hone their craft, but often the focus is on subject knowledge rather than these essential 'soft skills'. Empathy, observation, and creativity should definitely be given more emphasis so teachers can better connect with students, especially since these abilities can make or break a child's interest in the subject, as well as their overall perception of school.

I think some individuals are indeed naturally gifted with an innate ability to connect and teach others, possessing those aforementioned superpowers. However, I also believe that these skills can be cultivated and developed through targeted training.

Educators undergo a lot of training to hone their craft, but often the focus is on subject knowledge rather than these essential 'soft skills'. Empathy, observation, and creativity should definitely be given more emphasis so teachers can better connect with students, especially since these abilities can make or break a child's interest in the subject, as well as their overall perception of school.
You're right; the soft skills you mentioned are often overlooked in favor of academic prowess. It's great to hear your perspective on this!

What other ways do you think educators could be supported to bring out the best in students?

You're right; the soft skills you mentioned are often overlooked in favor of academic prowess. It's great to hear your perspective on this!

What other ways do you think educators could be supported to bring out the best in students?
There could be more emphasis on practical, hands-on approaches during teacher training. Not everything has to be about lectures and rote learning. Educational conferences and workshops could also be organized to allow experienced teachers to share effective strategies that go beyond textbooks. It would benefit the industry as a whole - newcomers can observe seasoned teachers in action and pick up valuable tips!

• Sad
Reactions: lioness
There could be more emphasis on practical, hands-on approaches during teacher training. Not everything has to be about lectures and rote learning. Educational conferences and workshops could also be organized to allow experienced teachers to share effective strategies that go beyond textbooks. It would benefit the industry as a whole - newcomers can observe seasoned teachers in action and pick up valuable tips!
That's a fantastic idea! Having that practical, hands-on experience and seeing proven techniques in action would definitely help shape new teachers. It's a wonderful way to share best practices and keep the education sector vibrant and ever-evolving.

Do you think there's a particular age group that benefits most from these 'superpowered' teaching methods? Or are they universal?

That's a fantastic idea! Having that practical, hands-on experience and seeing proven techniques in action would definitely help shape new teachers. It's a wonderful way to share best practices and keep the education sector vibrant and ever-evolving.

Do you think there's a particular age group that benefits most from these 'superpowered' teaching methods? Or are they universal?
I believe these superpowers are universally beneficial regardless of the age group, as students of all ages can always use a mix of fun, engagement, and motivation in their learning journey. However, I would say that primary school teachers might benefit the most from employing these techniques, as younger students tend to have shorter attention spans and need more encouragement and engagement. It's easier to grab their interest with creative strategies and keep them curious and motivated!

I believe these superpowers are universally beneficial regardless of the age group, as students of all ages can always use a mix of fun, engagement, and motivation in their learning journey. However, I would say that primary school teachers might benefit the most from employing these techniques, as younger students tend to have shorter attention spans and need more encouragement and engagement. It's easier to grab their interest with creative strategies and keep them curious and motivated!
That makes a lot of sense, especially with younger students, keeping their curiosity piqued is half the battle won!

With that, I think we've wrapped up this discussion nicely! It has indeed been an insightful chat. Thank you all for sharing your views - hope everyone enjoys the rest of their weekend!

That makes a lot of sense, especially with younger students, keeping their curiosity piqued is half the battle won!

With that, I think we've wrapped up this discussion nicely! It has indeed been an insightful chat. Thank you all for sharing your views - hope everyone enjoys the rest of their weekend!
Have a great weekend too! Enjoy the sunny weather while it lasts and stay tuned for our next topic! cheers!

You too! Eat plenty of fruits to keep the doctor away and have a fantastic week ahead! See you around!
That's great advice, fruits are yummy AND healthy. Can't beat that!
Have an amazing week yourself; stay awesome!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu