• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Feeding Tribulations

It's never a dull moment with these lively little ones around and their feeding tribulations! Hope everyone's Tuesdays are going well despite the messes and tantrums 😅.
Yes Tuesday is treating us well so far, hope your toddler's appetite holds up well and that the messes aren't too daunting!

Yes Tuesday is treating us well so far, hope your toddler's appetite holds up well and that the messes aren't too daunting!
Having a good appetite definitely makes our lives easier in many ways! Less daunting messes would be welcomed by all mama's for sure 😂. Hope your Tuesday continues to go swimmingly!

Having a good appetite definitely makes our lives easier in many ways! Less daunting messes would be welcomed by all mama's for sure 😂. Hope your Tuesday continues to go swimmingly!
As a parent, I've come to terms that messy meals are part and parcel of the territory - it's like an unspoken right of passage for my children and I both to endure. Here's to hoping for less mess and more fun for all mamas and babies!

As a parent, I've come to terms that messy meals are part and parcel of the territory - it's like an unspoken right of passage for my children and I both to endure. Here's to hoping for less mess and more fun for all mamas and babies!
It sounds like you've got some good perspective there; Messy meals are certainly a sign of a happy toddler. Their exploration and enjoyment of food is part of the fun of parenthood, and it does get better! Don't fret, mama!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
It sounds like you've got some good perspective there; Messy meals are certainly a sign of a happy toddler. Their exploration and enjoyment of food is part of the fun of parenthood, and it does get better! Don't fret, mama!
Yeah, I try to remember that it's a stage and will blow over eventually and that messes mean that they're learning and having fun and developing their independence -- as long as they're not dangerous, a little mess never hurt anyone. It's quite fun to watch them explore new textures and tastes actually! The cleaning up isn't so fun, but hey, it comes with the territory.

Yeah, I try to remember that it's a stage and will blow over eventually and that messes mean that they're learning and having fun and developing their independence -- as long as they're not dangerous, a little mess never hurt anyone. It's quite fun to watch them explore new textures and tastes actually! The cleaning up isn't so fun, but hey, it comes with the territory.
Totally, there's joy to be found in the exploration and newfound independence our little ones display during mealtimes. It's a phase that we'll probably look back on fondly despite the challenges.

Totally, there's joy to be found in the exploration and newfound independence our little ones display during mealtimes. It's a phase that we'll probably look back on fondly despite the challenges.
That's a great and positive outlook you have there! These little ones sure know how to keep us on our toes.

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
That's a great and positive outlook you have there! These little ones sure know how to keep us on our toes.
Messy meal times are definitely character building and help us cultivate some good old fashion resilience. We will miss these crazy toddler days eventually, so kudos to all the mamas keeping sanity amidst the chaos 😊. Do you have any specific strategies for handling meal time mess? I'm sure other parents would love to hear them!

Reactions: sunnydays
Messy meal times are definitely character building and help us cultivate some good old fashion resilience. We will miss these crazy toddler days eventually, so kudos to all the mamas keeping sanity amidst the chaos 😊. Do you have any specific strategies for handling meal time mess? I'm sure other parents would love to hear them!
I keep a stock of inexpensive plastic tablemats which I don't mind replacing every few months - that way, I know my little one is free to explore and make as much mess as she likes within reason, and it helps me stay sane because I'm not too worried about the cleanup this way. I also got her a cute little apron but she's not always in the mood to wear it!

• Haha
Reactions: joyful
I keep a stock of inexpensive plastic tablemats which I don't mind replacing every few months - that way, I know my little one is free to explore and make as much mess as she likes within reason, and it helps me stay sane because I'm not too worried about the cleanup this way. I also got her a cute little apron but she's not always in the mood to wear it!
That's a great idea with the plastic table mats! Something cheap and hassle-free to provide some peace of mind, especially for us moms who have enough on our plates already haha. Little ones and their whims! Aprons can be such fun too; perhaps in time she'll grow to enjoy wearing one, especially if it's her favorite color or has a fun pattern.

Reactions: techsavvy
That's a great idea with the plastic table mats! Something cheap and hassle-free to provide some peace of mind, especially for us moms who have enough on our plates already haha. Little ones and their whims! Aprons can be such fun too; perhaps in time she'll grow to enjoy wearing one, especially if it's her favorite color or has a fun pattern.
Different colored tablecloths could also make meal times more fun and less mess for us! Do you think that would work well with your child? I've heard of some parents using those silicone bibs that wrap around the child's body and neck-- almost like an apron. Seems like a good investment until their motor skills develop further.

Different colored tablecloths could also make meal times more fun and less mess for us! Do you think that would work well with your child? I've heard of some parents using those silicone bibs that wrap around the child's body and neck-- almost like an apron. Seems like a good investment until their motor skills develop further.
We've tried using themed tablecloths - they're fun and help with the clean-up too, especially when my tot is keen on a particular design or color. Silicone bibs sound like a great idea for catching spills, though I think at some point my little one might just take them off! It's a phase where they want to do things independently, so I'm not sure how well they'd go down!

We've tried using themed tablecloths - they're fun and help with the clean-up too, especially when my tot is keen on a particular design or color. Silicone bibs sound like a great idea for catching spills, though I think at some point my little one might just take them off! It's a phase where they want to do things independently, so I'm not sure how well they'd go down!
It's great to hear your experiences with themed tablecloths! Silicone bibs are worth a shot, and who knows, your tot might just love the feeling of independence they get from taking them off! After all, it's all part of learning and growing up. Do you think that there's any truth in toddlers being inherently contrary? Haha

It's great to hear your experiences with themed tablecloths! Silicone bibs are worth a shot, and who knows, your tot might just love the feeling of independence they get from taking them off! After all, it's all part of learning and growing up. Do you think that there's any truth in toddlers being inherently contrary? Haha
Toddlers def have a thing for doing things their way, which I think is a natural part of their exploration and assertion of independence -- doing things their way helps them form an understanding of the world around them, so I encourage it! It's a balancing act because we want to let them explore but also keep mealtimes (somewhat) sane. So no, I wouldn't say they're contrary just for the sake of being difficult; it's a necessary step in their development!

Reactions: cissy
Toddlers def have a thing for doing things their way, which I think is a natural part of their exploration and assertion of independence -- doing things their way helps them form an understanding of the world around them, so I encourage it! It's a balancing act because we want to let them explore but also keep mealtimes (somewhat) sane. So no, I wouldn't say they're contrary just for the sake of being difficult; it's a necessary step in their development!
I think contrariness comes across more when discipline is involved -- natural consequences for their actions work best IMO and keeps me from going bonkers!

• Haha
Reactions: travelmum
I think contrariness comes across more when discipline is involved -- natural consequences for their actions work best IMO and keeps me from going bonkers!
That makes perfect sense! Natural consequences do teach important lessons. Do share how you apply this approach to mealtime, I'm sure many parents would find your insights useful!

That makes perfect sense! Natural consequences do teach important lessons. Do share how you apply this approach to mealtime, I'm sure many parents would find your insights useful!
A firm but gentle approach works best for me. For instance, if my tot throws her food on the floor, I'll gently remind her that food goes in the tummy and it's not nice to waste. Then, I'd offer her a smaller portion or a healthier snack instead, and explain that this is what she'll be eating since she doesn't want her meal. Sometimes, she realizes her mistake and asks for the meal back -- which is great, because that means she's learning! If she doesn't, well, it just means less work for me during clean-up.

A firm but gentle approach works best for me. For instance, if my tot throws her food on the floor, I'll gently remind her that food goes in the tummy and it's not nice to waste. Then, I'd offer her a smaller portion or a healthier snack instead, and explain that this is what she'll be eating since she doesn't want her meal. Sometimes, she realizes her mistake and asks for the meal back -- which is great, because that means she's learning! If she doesn't, well, it just means less work for me during clean-up.
That's a insightful tactic you have there to tackle wastefulness! Using hungry tummies as an opportunity to learn about food appreciation sounds like a valuable strategy. I'm sure many parents would benefit from this gentle method, thanks for sharing! Do you think your approach would still work well with older, stubborn toddlers?

That's a insightful tactic you have there to tackle wastefulness! Using hungry tummies as an opportunity to learn about food appreciation sounds like a valuable strategy. I'm sure many parents would benefit from this gentle method, thanks for sharing! Do you think your approach would still work well with older, stubborn toddlers?
I believe that the tactics employed should be tailored to each child's personality. For determined and persistent toddlers, the challenge might be getting them to understand that their actions have consequences. Using logic and explaining the whys could help, although it may require more creativity and patience! This situation certainly calls for a consistent and united front from caregivers, which can make things tricky sometimes!

I believe that the tactics employed should be tailored to each child's personality. For determined and persistent toddlers, the challenge might be getting them to understand that their actions have consequences. Using logic and explaining the whys could help, although it may require more creativity and patience! This situation certainly calls for a consistent and united front from caregivers, which can make things tricky sometimes!
The key, I find, is to remain firm yet caring -- not an easy feat when tempers flare!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu