• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Caring for Newborns

The best way to get them to sleep through the night is to create a very dull and boring environment in the room. No excess stimulation like bright lights or loud noises. Keep the noise levels very minimal.

For cozying them up, I swaddle them up like burritos, nice and tight. It mimics the snugness of the womb and helps them feel secure and warm. And then there's lots of skin-to-skin contact too-- babies love being close to their parents.
It's interesting how so many of us swear by swaddling! My kids loved it too, and the tight wrap really helped them settle. It's almost like a baby must-have, along with those muslin cloths!

What other tricks do you ladies have up your sleeve for surviving the first few weeks? Those first few days are so overwhelming!

I kept a small fan in my son's room running at all times. The constant white noise, coupled with the movement of the fan, mimicked the conditions of the womb and seemed to comfort him.

I also discovered that lavender essential oil, diluted in a diffuser, helped create a calming aroma that soothed him down. It's a natural remedy that helped my baby, and some studies swear by it as a sleep-inducing agent.

As for routines, I established a feeding routine quite early on - every two hours during the day and longer stretches at night - which helped regulate his feeding and sleeping pattern. This, combined with a consistent bedtime routine of warm bath, cozy pajamas, and a soothing massage, helped him sleep through the night slightly earlier than some others his age.

I consider myself lucky in that regard! But these techniques definitely contributed to a smoother ride. What about you? Any specific strategies for promoting a good night's rest?
Lavender essential oil is very calming; I sometimes use it in my baths too, so relaxing! I've heard that some babies can be fussy about essential oils though, so I'd recommend parents to be cautious and diluting them first before introducing the scent to infants.

My strategy is quite similar to yours - creating a consistent routine with minimal distractions and maximum coziness. I also make sure the room is very soothing with soft lighting and comfortable temperatures. In addition, I focus on making sure my daughter has a lot of physical comfort -- muslin wraps and the like. She seems to really appreciate the security that these methods provide.

A notebook is a surprising yet practical item to have around! It's true that the days can be a blur, especially when sleep-deprived, so jotting things down helps keep track of patterns and routines.

I also agree on the burp cloths; you can never have too many of them! They're always useful, whether for burping or cleaning up unexpected messes. Having a well-stocked arsenal of cleaning/hygiene products is also crucial - wipes, creams, powdery stuff, you name it!

What other ingenious strategies did you mums use to tame the chaos during those early days? Any specific apps or products that were a lifesaver for you and baby?
I had a few apps on my phone that came in handy. There was one called 'Baby Care - Track Everything' which helped me monitor feeding times, diaper changes, sleeping patterns - you name it! It had cute little reminder alarms too, which was helpful when my brain was fried from lack of sleep.

I also liked a white noise app I stumbled upon with all sorts of relaxing sounds - waves, rain, hearts beating, you get the point. It became a consistent part of our bedtime routine and helped our baby nod off to sleep.

And of course, Google Assistant/Siri was (and still is!) my go-to for quick on-the-spot questions - from converting measurements in recipes to finding the nearest 24-hour pharmacy when I needed to restock at odd hours!

A notebook is a surprising yet practical item to have around! It's true that the days can be a blur, especially when sleep-deprived, so jotting things down helps keep track of patterns and routines.

I also agree on the burp cloths; you can never have too many of them! They're always useful, whether for burping or cleaning up unexpected messes. Having a well-stocked arsenal of cleaning/hygiene products is also crucial - wipes, creams, powdery stuff, you name it!

What other ingenious strategies did you mums use to tame the chaos during those early days? Any specific apps or products that were a lifesaver for you and baby?
As an eco-conscious parent, reusable cotton rounds served me well in place of wet wipes, which minimized waste and saved me a trip to the store!

For keeping track of feedings, sleep schedules, and diaper changes, I relied heavily on this app called *Baby Tracker*. It sent real-time notifications to my partner too, so he could keep an eye on things if he was away.

I also discovered these adorable cloth diapers that had built-in velcro swaddles. They were easy to use and adjustable to baby's size - a life saver for this sleep-deprived mum who couldn't figure out the traditional swaddle technique!

And of course, my trusty breastfeeding bralette with built-in hooks for hands-free nursing was a comfortable wardrobe staple during those marathon feeding sessions.

An app called 'Parenting Journal' helped me keep track of almost everything - feeding times, sleep patterns, diaper changes, and even little milestones and photos. It has helpful reminders and tips for new parents and kept me organized when my head was all over the place.

I also found frozen food a real lifesaver! Having a stash of ready-to-eat meals that could be whipped out at any time took so much stress out of the equation, especially on those first few hectic days when you're too tired to cook.

And of course, my trusty baby carrier kept my hands free and my baby happy. I could go about doing things while he snoozed peacefully - a real godsend!

Having a record of the baby's daily activities is helpful and often underrated. It gives insights into patterns and helps caregivers understand the baby's needs quickly. Many modern apps can help with that these days too!

What other techniques did you ladies find useful for managing those early challenges? Any tips on coping strategies for first-time moms?
As a first-time mom, I found that researching newborn care essentials was crucial. Knowing the must-haves and preparing an efficient diaper-changing kit saved me plenty of time and hassle. Having a well-stocked station with all you need for changes, so you don't have to run around searching for things is a huge help, especially when your hands are full - literally!

It's also beneficial to have a reliable support network of parents or experienced individuals. Their wisdom and guidance can be invaluable, giving you insight into what to expect and ways to cope with the unexpected. Of course, every baby is unique, so taking their advice with a pinch of salt is crucial. Still, it helps to have a knowledgeable sounding board!

I never thought of using an app to replicate the noises of the womb - that's a clever idea!

I agree that having a physical record of feed and diaper times is super helpful, especially when you're sleep-deprived and forgetful. I also made sure to write down any specific details about my little one's pooping and eating habits, which helped me analyze any trends or changes and share them easily with the healthcare providers.

There are so many little hacks that make a huge difference! Writing them down is a great way to share them with other frazzled new parents too! What other tips do you have up your sleeve?
It's amazing how resourceful parents can get when faced with the challenges of raising a newborn - it's definitely an adventure!

I found that having a dedicated space for the baby's essentials helps a lot, too. All those tiny clothes, towels, and toys can easily overwhelm new parents, so keeping a designated area for each thing makes life easier. You don't want to misplace the only pacifier that calms your child down!

I also started keeping a small stash of snacks everywhere - in the baby bag, by the bed, in the cupboard. Newborns are unpredictable, and you never know when the hunger pangs will strike amid all the chaos! So having quick energy boosts helped me stay focused and energized while tending to my little one.

What other suggestions do you experienced mums have for keeping things organized and manageable?

I never thought of using an app to replicate the noises of the womb - that's a clever idea!

I agree that having a physical record of feed and diaper times is super helpful, especially when you're sleep-deprived and forgetful. I also made sure to write down any specific details about my little one's pooping and eating habits, which helped me analyze any trends or changes and share them easily with the healthcare providers.

There are so many little hacks that make a huge difference! Writing them down is a great way to share them with other frazzled new parents too! What other tips do you have up your sleeve?
You're right; those little hacks make a world of difference in the newborn phase! Recording feed and diaper changes is such a simple yet effective trick to stay on top of things. Writing down poop and eating habits is so helpful for pattern analysis - it's amazing how quickly those details can be overlooked when you're exhausted.

I also discovered the magic of babywearing early on. It kept my hands free and allowed me to do light exercises like walking or light stretching, which was a great way to stay active and boost my energy levels. Plus, the baby often fell asleep snug in the carrier, win-win!

What other survival strategies did you guys use in those challenging yet precious early days?

A journal is a helpful idea! It's an old-school solution, but it really works, especially when you've got so much going on and need to keep track of feed times, sleeps, and poops. A digital solution could also work, but there's something comforting about physically writing it down and having a physical record of baby's first few weeks.

I also agree that replicate the womb environment is key in soothing newborns. It's important to remember that this whole new world is very overwhelming for them!

Any other old-school methods you guys swear by?
Some old school methods that I found useful were massage and holding my baby close when she cried. Rocking her gently in a side-to-side motion also reminded her of being cradled in the womb and would quickly calm her down sometimes. And of course, lots of skin-to-skin never goes amiss!

There's so much we can learn from our forebears! What other traditional wisdom do you ladies have to share?

That's smart thinking It's always reassuring to have some helping hands and a good support system in place, especially when you need some well-deserved rest. Outfits that baby likes - that's an interesting one; it makes me wonder if they have a favorite outfit already at such a young age! Familiarity definitely plays a huge part in soothing a fussy baby. Does anyone have any other similar tricks?
It's fascinating how babies can develop preferences early on! In addition to clothing, I've also heard that some parents introduce scented items like a special lotion or perfume to help soothe and calm their little ones. The familiar scent can have a comforting effect, especially when the smell is associated with their caregivers, creating a sense of security and familiarity. This might be an old-school method, but it's worth a try!

That's smart thinking It's always reassuring to have some helping hands and a good support system in place, especially when you need some well-deserved rest. Outfits that baby likes - that's an interesting one; it makes me wonder if they have a favorite outfit already at such a young age! Familiarity definitely plays a huge part in soothing a fussy baby. Does anyone have any other similar tricks?
You're right; a baby's comfort is greatly tied to familiarity, which mostly revolves around the senses and simple patterns. besides replicating womb-like conditions, I found that having a few different soft, silky fabrics on hand for my little one to touch and feel helped soothe them. Some textures seemed to calm them down almost instantly.

I also discovered that my baby responded well to specific types of scents - nothing perfumed, just natural, clean aromas like the smell of freshly washed clothes or an essential oil blend I used during pregnancy. It's incredible how certain smells can relax a fussy baby!

Having a support system or at least a few dependable individuals you can reach out to is a tremendous help, no doubt. It's comforting to have that backup when you need some time for yourself or when unexpected situations arise.

Clothings that feel familiar and comfortable can make a difference; babies respond well to routine and familiarity, so your daughter's reaction to her "comfy" clothes is spot on! It's heartwarming to see how children find comfort in the little things.

What other ways do you think parents can create a sense of ease and comfort for their little ones? Do share any easy techniques you found soothing!
Babies seem to have an incredible sense of smell and are comforted by familiar scents, which is why some moms swear by using the same scented lotion or perfume during pregnancy and then continuing to use it after the baby's birth. The familiar scent can be incredibly soothing to a newborn.

Some babies also prefer having a sensory toy to focus on, especially those with intriguing textures or patterns. It distracts them and provides tactile comfort, which is beneficial for their development too.

Some babies also enjoy having something soft and cozy wrapped around them, like a light blanket or swaddle cloth. That little bit of extra security seems to help them settle down faster!

Babies can actually recognize the clothes they've worn before and will usually settle better when they have a familiar scent, which explains why some babies might suddenly start fussing after an outfit change! It's like their superpower, except it really freaks you out when nothing seems to calm them down.

It's surprising how babies can recognize and be soothed by familiarity even at such a young age. My daughter had a favorite onesie - the soft material and specific puppy print seemed to comfort her! I also discovered that a specific lullaby would put her right to sleep. It's amazing how these little things can make a big difference.

Having a stable of trusted babysitters is a tremendous help, especially when you need some respite or an emergency arises. It's a wonderful idea to have a go-to person for such situations and avoids the last-minute stress of finding someone suitable.

Outfits can play a huge part in comforting babies - the familiarity and predictability of specific clothing can be soothing to them and help establish some normalcy in their otherwise unpredictable environment.

Are there other ways you managed to make your baby's environment less stimulating and more relaxed? I'm sure other parents would love to hear about de-cluttering the chaos!
As babies are so sensitive to their surroundings, keeping the stimuli simple and predictable is a great way to settle them. Create a peaceful atmosphere with minimal noise and visuals to avoid overloading their senses. Some babies are easily stimulated by bright lights or abrupt sounds, so keeping things calm and serene helps them relax. Using a mobile with soft colors and gentle music is a nice way to entertain them without overwhelming them.

Keeping a consistent routine also contributes to a sense of comfort and security. Having a timetable for feeding, playing, and sleeping helps babies understand what to expect.

For added coziness, I like the idea of using fabric wraps or swaddles; they provide a cuddly sensation and remind babies of being snug in the womb.

Are there any other simple strategies you all used?

That's true; help from babysitters or even just a trusted friend can make a world of difference, especially when you can grab some rest while they're around. Having that respite can make you feel human again and more energized to take on the challenges of motherhood.

Outfits that make your little ones feel comfortable and settled are a great idea; it's amazing how something so simple can make such a difference! It's like creating a safe "uniform" that they're used to and helps them feel secure and cozy.

Are there any other little tricks you used to make those initial weeks run smoother, or any recommendations for must-have items people should look out for when prepping for a newborn?
The first few weeks can certainly be daunting, but with experience comes understanding, and every baby adds new lessons learned. Besides the usual diapers and feeding essentials, I've found these to be helpful:

1. Swaddling Blankets: These are great for mimicking the snugness of the womb. It helps to calm and soothe newborns, especially during those first few weeks as they adjust to the outside world.

2. White Noise Machine: As mentioned earlier, reproducing that womb-like environment can go a long way in comforting a newborn. White noise machines can help block out sudden loud noises, and the constant shushing sound provides a familiar backdrop. Some machines have built-in relaxing melodies too, which are great for lulling them to sleep.

3. Infantino carrier: This was my go-to for hands-free babywearing. It's easy to put on and take off, and your baby can face inward or outward when they're older. Carriers keep your little one close while leaving your arms free for tasks, plus it's wonderful for establishing that bond.

4. Rocking Chair or Swing: Having a dedicated chair for breastfeeding or just rocking your baby to sleep can be helpful. Newborns love the rhythmic motion, and it becomes a calming part of their bedtime routine.

5. Pacifiers: Some parents are all for, some against, but they can be a lifesaver when you need some quiet time or for soothing a fussy baby. They're especially useful once you're confident your baby has latching down with breastfeeding.

These are just a few things that made our lives easier. Every baby is different, so finding what works best for you and your little one is key!

That's true; familiar and dedicated babysitters are hard to come by and a real lifeline for some much-needed rest or personal time. It's great to have reliable helpers who you can trust and reach out to on those exhausting days.

Having that one go-to outfit for your little one that's comfy and familiar can make a difference - the comfort and routine of it helping to soothe and settle them. It's adorable how babies can get attached to specific clothing items!

Are there any other tips you'd offer for making those first few weeks more manageable with a newborn?
It's always a good idea to keep a cool head and remember that every baby is unique, so what works for one might not work for another. Keep an open mind and be prepared to roll with the punches! Also, don't be afraid to ask for help - you'd be surprised how many people are willing to lend a hand!

That's a great idea with the babysitters! It's always good to have some help and another pair of hands - you never know when you might need an emergency diaper change or a quick grocery run.

Having a familiar and comforting outfit for the baby is a cute and simple trick to keep them content. I found that having a specific "snuggle" outfit, as my son called it, also helped him differentiate between daytime and nighttime. It was his cue to know that it was relax time!

Are there any other little hacks you moms have for keeping the young'uns comfortable? Any tricks specific to newborn feeding or diaper duties?
Feeding and diapering hacks are always useful! I found out the hard way that having a good stock of burp clothes is an essential - you never know when milk spew will happen!

Having a small, accessible diaper bag with a couple of diapers, wipes, and creams stashed away was also a saving grace. You don't realize how heavy a full newborn diaper can feel until you've changed a few!

Also, for nighttime feeding, I kept a little nursing light by the bed. It was just enough to see what I was doing without fully waking myself (or my baby) up.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu