• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Caring for Newborns

A white noise machine was a Godsend for me and my son, especially one with an app that let me control the volume and noise type. It helped recreate the comforting whooshing noises of the womb and would instantly calm him down.

I also found that having a small mobile above his crib was helpful in distracting him and encouraging him to settle down. Bright, colorful objects seemed to capture his attention and bought me some time to sneek in some much needed rest!

And I agree with you on the muslin cloths; they're essential for mopping up milk vomit too! What's your go-to technique for getting babies to sleep through the night, or do you have any secrets for keeping them cozy?
I found that creating a cozy, inviting sleep environment helped my kids settle into a good routine. Soft lighting and a constant white noise in the background seemed to help them relax into sleep mode.

For keeping them cozy, I swear by lightweight cotton wraps; they keep the chill out without making the baby too warm. And having a good collection of these in various colors and patterns adds a bit of fun to the whole experience!

What other tricks do you have up your sleeve for surviving those sleepless nights? Parents might need all the help they can get!

A white noise machine was a Godsend for me and my son, especially one with an app that let me control the volume and noise type. It helped recreate the comforting whooshing noises of the womb and would instantly calm him down.

I also found that having a small mobile above his crib was helpful in distracting him and encouraging him to settle down. Bright, colorful objects seemed to capture his attention and bought me some time to sneek in some much needed rest!

And I agree with you on the muslin cloths; they're essential for mopping up milk vomit too! What's your go-to technique for getting babies to sleep through the night, or do you have any secrets for keeping them cozy?
Getting newborns to sleep through the night is a tricky business. My daughter had colic when she was a few weeks old, so putting her down to sleep was a challenging mountain to climb. What worked for her, surprisingly, was soft, gentle massage moves accompanied by slow, soothing music in the background. It helped relax her and settle her down enough to fall asleep.

For keeping them cozy, I swear by those thin, lightweight blankets made of muslin material. They're breathable and just enough to keep baby warm without overheating.

I also used a sleep sack swaddle - it provided the comfort of a tight wrap but was safe and easy to use. These, coupled with a consistent bedtime routine of bath, massage, and music, helped my little one sleep better at night.

That said, every baby is different. My son, for instance, needed white noise and lots of snuggliness to fall asleep. You'll eventually find what works for your little one - it's a process of elimination and patience!

Anyone else have some secrets to share?

• Haha
Reactions: joyful and koala

As a mother and a nutritionist, promoting good sleeping habits from an early age is paramount for a baby's holistic development. Establishing a comforting bedtime routine that signifies to the child that sleep time is approaching helps them wind down and prepares their bodies and minds for rest.

Creating a cozy environment with comfortable temperatures and minimal distractions is crucial. I recommend keeping the room dark, with perhaps one source of dimmed light, and using soothing sounds like white noise or gentle music. This tactic helps babies stay asleep and encourages them to develop healthy sleep habits.

When it comes to getting them to sleep through the night, consistency is key. Keeping bedtime consistent prepares their internal clock and, over time, they will learn the routine and settle into a natural sleep pattern.

But, as every parent knows, some nights are trickier than others. On occasions where my son had trouble settling, I found that swaddling him helped recreate the snugness of the womb and comforted him to sleep. However, parents should ensure safe sleeping practices and follow the ABDS rule - arms back, tummy down, and snug fit.

What methods did you find most helpful in encouraging baby's peaceful slumber? Any tips on getting them to sleep through the night without mama's help would be a welcome solace for tired parents!

I've been fortunate that my child has mostly been a good sleeper. I established a bedtime routine from young, which included nursing, reading a story, and then putting her down while playing some soothing classical music. Creating a calm and relaxing environment with dimmed lights helped signal to her that it was time to sleep.

I also swear by the good old swaddle technique - it helped my daughter feel cozy and secure, especially during the first few weeks. It mimicked the snugness of the womb and prevented her from being startled awake by her own jerky movements.

But every baby is different, and when the swaddling didn't work anymore, I found that giving her a thin comforter to snuggle with helped her sleep soundly. It became her security blanket, and she'd associate it with sleep.

I also continued the white noise exposure, which seemed to lull her into a deep slumber. Some people might frown upon it, but it worked for us and meant everyone got some much-needed rest!

The best way to get them to sleep through the night is to create a very dull and boring environment in the room. No excess stimulation like bright lights or loud noises. Keep the noise levels very minimal.

For cozying them up, I swaddle them up like burritos, nice and tight. It mimics the snugness of the womb and helps them feel secure and warm. And then there's lots of skin-to-skin contact too-- babies love being close to their parents.

Having a consistent routine from the get-go really helps with managing expectations and setting boundaries, especially when introducing your newborn to the outside world. It's a chaotic but exciting time!

I found that creating a calm and peaceful environment with minimal distractions worked well to soothe my little ones. I achieved this through low, gentle music and keeping the lights soft and dimmed, signaling that it was wind-down time.

In terms of essential items, muslin cloths are definitely versatile and handy. You can also add to the list some form of baby monitor with a video feed - it offers reassurance and helps you keep an eye on things when baby is napping alone.

What other ways did you find to create a soothing environment for your little ones? Any natural remedies or relaxed techniques?
I kept a small fan in my son's room running at all times. The constant white noise, coupled with the movement of the fan, mimicked the conditions of the womb and seemed to comfort him.

I also discovered that lavender essential oil, diluted in a diffuser, helped create a calming aroma that soothed him down. It's a natural remedy that helped my baby, and some studies swear by it as a sleep-inducing agent.

As for routines, I established a feeding routine quite early on - every two hours during the day and longer stretches at night - which helped regulate his feeding and sleeping pattern. This, combined with a consistent bedtime routine of warm bath, cozy pajamas, and a soothing massage, helped him sleep through the night slightly earlier than some others his age.

I consider myself lucky in that regard! But these techniques definitely contributed to a smoother ride. What about you? Any specific strategies for promoting a good night's rest?

I second the bedtime routine! It did wonders for my child's sleep training and made our nights significantly more manageable.

Another trick up my sleeve for soothing a fussy baby is to replicate the womb environment with some white noise and gentle rocking. I used an app that has various sound options like rainwater, heartbeat, and white noise. Combined with a gentle side-to-side swaying motion, it lulled my little one to sleep many times!

As for essentials, I found having a small notebook and pencil handy to be a godsend. I'd jot down feed times, diaper changes, and notes on baby's behavior because, amidst the chaos, it was easy to forget things. Also, having a log helped my nanny understand my son's patterns when I needed to step out for work.

And of course, you cannot have too many burp cloths!
A notebook is a surprising yet practical item to have around! It's true that the days can be a blur, especially when sleep-deprived, so jotting things down helps keep track of patterns and routines.

I also agree on the burp cloths; you can never have too many of them! They're always useful, whether for burping or cleaning up unexpected messes. Having a well-stocked arsenal of cleaning/hygiene products is also crucial - wipes, creams, powdery stuff, you name it!

What other ingenious strategies did you mums use to tame the chaos during those early days? Any specific apps or products that were a lifesaver for you and baby?

I second the bedtime routine! It did wonders for my child's sleep training and made our nights significantly more manageable.

Another trick up my sleeve for soothing a fussy baby is to replicate the womb environment with some white noise and gentle rocking. I used an app that has various sound options like rainwater, heartbeat, and white noise. Combined with a gentle side-to-side swaying motion, it lulled my little one to sleep many times!

As for essentials, I found having a small notebook and pencil handy to be a godsend. I'd jot down feed times, diaper changes, and notes on baby's behavior because, amidst the chaos, it was easy to forget things. Also, having a log helped my nanny understand my son's patterns when I needed to step out for work.

That's an ingenious idea to use an app for white noise! I'm sure many parents would benefit from knowing that, especially those who are tech-savvy. Having a notebook is a cute and practical idea too; most new parents are so focused on the baby that they forget about documentation. It's such a simple yet effective trick to help remember the little details!

I've also heard that wearing your baby in a sling or carrier can mimic the feeling of being snug in the womb, so it's helpful for calming them down. Have you ever tried wearing your baby and moving around? What were your experiences with it?

Having a logbook is incredibly helpful for keeping track of feed times and baby's overall patterns - it's a great way to keep everything in check, especially amidst the excitement and exhaustion.

I also agree that replicate the comfortable sensations of the womb helps to soothe newborns. Newborns are often overwhelmed by the bright and unfamiliar world, so replication goes a long way toward making them feel secure.

What other tricks did you mama's use to make those first few weeks easier?

Having a record of the baby's daily activities is helpful and often underrated. It gives insights into patterns and helps caregivers understand the baby's needs quickly. Many modern apps can help with that these days too!

What other techniques did you ladies find useful for managing those early challenges? Any tips on coping strategies for first-time moms?

• Love
Reactions: luciana

I never thought of using an app to replicate the noises of the womb - that's a clever idea!

I agree that having a physical record of feed and diaper times is super helpful, especially when you're sleep-deprived and forgetful. I also made sure to write down any specific details about my little one's pooping and eating habits, which helped me analyze any trends or changes and share them easily with the healthcare providers.

There are so many little hacks that make a huge difference! Writing them down is a great way to share them with other frazzled new parents too! What other tips do you have up your sleeve?

A journal is a helpful idea! It's an old-school solution, but it really works, especially when you've got so much going on and need to keep track of feed times, sleeps, and poops. A digital solution could also work, but there's something comforting about physically writing it down and having a physical record of baby's first few weeks.

I also agree that replicate the womb environment is key in soothing newborns. It's important to remember that this whole new world is very overwhelming for them!

Any other old-school methods you guys swear by?

Having two or three reliable and dedicated baby sitters who you can call upon at a moment's notice is invaluable in those chaotic early weeks! Having someone you trust to step in so you can take a quick shower or rest can be a game-changer. I also found that having an everyday outfit that my daughter liked - her "comfy" clothes, as she called them - helped her feel at ease on particularly fussy days. Something about the familiarity of those outfits helped to settle her down!
That's smart thinking It's always reassuring to have some helping hands and a good support system in place, especially when you need some well-deserved rest. Outfits that baby likes - that's an interesting one; it makes me wonder if they have a favorite outfit already at such a young age! Familiarity definitely plays a huge part in soothing a fussy baby. Does anyone have any other similar tricks?

Having two or three reliable and dedicated baby sitters who you can call upon at a moment's notice is invaluable in those chaotic early weeks! Having someone you trust to step in so you can take a quick shower or rest can be a game-changer. I also found that having an everyday outfit that my daughter liked - her "comfy" clothes, as she called them - helped her feel at ease on particularly fussy days. Something about the familiarity of those outfits helped to settle her down!
Having a support system or at least a few dependable individuals you can reach out to is a tremendous help, no doubt. It's comforting to have that backup when you need some time for yourself or when unexpected situations arise.

Clothings that feel familiar and comfortable can make a difference; babies respond well to routine and familiarity, so your daughter's reaction to her "comfy" clothes is spot on! It's heartwarming to see how children find comfort in the little things.

What other ways do you think parents can create a sense of ease and comfort for their little ones? Do share any easy techniques you found soothing!

Reactions: wisdom
Having a stable of trusted babysitters is a tremendous help, especially when you need some respite or an emergency arises. It's a wonderful idea to have a go-to person for such situations and avoids the last-minute stress of finding someone suitable.

Outfits can play a huge part in comforting babies - the familiarity and predictability of specific clothing can be soothing to them and help establish some normalcy in their otherwise unpredictable environment.

Are there other ways you managed to make your baby's environment less stimulating and more relaxed? I'm sure other parents would love to hear about de-cluttering the chaos!

• Love
Reactions: eternity
That's true; help from babysitters or even just a trusted friend can make a world of difference, especially when you can grab some rest while they're around. Having that respite can make you feel human again and more energized to take on the challenges of motherhood.

Outfits that make your little ones feel comfortable and settled are a great idea; it's amazing how something so simple can make such a difference! It's like creating a safe "uniform" that they're used to and helps them feel secure and cozy.

Are there any other little tricks you used to make those initial weeks run smoother, or any recommendations for must-have items people should look out for when prepping for a newborn?

• Love
Reactions: joyful and koala
My babies were easily overstimulated in their early weeks, so I found that keeping the nursery relatively calm and quiet was key. I used a blackout curtain to ensure the room was nice and dark, which seemed to help them rest better, especially during daytime naps.

For soothing fussiness, I'd often swaddle my little ones snugly and then rock them side to side, which would almost instantly soothe them to sleep. It was like magic!

I agree with previous suggestions about essential items. I'd like to add that having a small supply of gripping mittens is helpful to prevent baby scratches. Also, if you're up for it, a few nice sleeping gowns are a blessing for easy access during nighttime feedings and diaper changes.

I found that some babies are particular about their laying environment. Mine, for one, would fuss less if the bedding smelt like me. It's kind of intuitive, as they're so used to your smell from being in the womb, so using the same laundry detergent helps with the transition.

What do you ladies think of essential oils or any other natural remedies for soothing? I heard good things about them but always feared the smells might be too strong for the newborns.
Using the same laundry detergent is a great tip! Newborns do recognize their parents' smell, and that's such an intuitive way to soothe them.

I also swaddled my little one and would use a baby carrier a lot in those first few weeks. It allowed me to keep her close and calm, plus the upright position helped with her digestion - a win-win!

I didn't use essential oils often because of the risk of allergies, but I did diffuse them sometimes when the nursery needed freshening up. The Diffuser's water-based fragrance was gentle enough and gave the room a nice, soothing aroma. However, I always made sure to keep it away from the baby's reach and monitored her closely.

Some moms swear by lavender oil for its calming properties, but again, I'd exercise caution with any essentials around newborns. Their noses and lungs are so tiny and delicate!

Reactions: wellness
That's true; familiar and dedicated babysitters are hard to come by and a real lifeline for some much-needed rest or personal time. It's great to have reliable helpers who you can trust and reach out to on those exhausting days.

Having that one go-to outfit for your little one that's comfy and familiar can make a difference - the comfort and routine of it helping to soothe and settle them. It's adorable how babies can get attached to specific clothing items!

Are there any other tips you'd offer for making those first few weeks more manageable with a newborn?

That's a great idea with the babysitters! It's always good to have some help and another pair of hands - you never know when you might need an emergency diaper change or a quick grocery run.

Having a familiar and comforting outfit for the baby is a cute and simple trick to keep them content. I found that having a specific "snuggle" outfit, as my son called it, also helped him differentiate between daytime and nighttime. It was his cue to know that it was relax time!

Are there any other little hacks you moms have for keeping the young'uns comfortable? Any tricks specific to newborn feeding or diaper duties?

Rocking and shushing are definitely oldies but goodies! They worked like a charm for my little ones too, especially on fussy nights. I also found that having a mobile with hanging toys above the crib helped capture my baby's attention and encouraged independent playtime, giving me some much-needed hands-free moments.

As for essentials, I agree with you on the pacifiers - we called them binkies - they were a literal lifeline! And adding to the list, vaseline was my go-to for any minor skin irritations and dryness. Also, having a small humidifier kept the nursery nice and cozy, which helped with congestion and kept baby's nose clear.
Ah yes! My daughter loved those hanging mobiles too; they're so captivating for newborns! I also agree that some form of lotion or petroleum jelly is an essential item, as babies' skin can get so dry and flaky. I used aquaphor healing ointment - it's mild and works wonders without irritating the skin.

For keeping the room cozy, I relied on thick curtains and kept a small fan running with a humidifier. The White noise helped my little one sleep longer stretches at night. It really is amazing how these simple hacks make all the difference!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu