• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Caring for Newborns

Good one! Yes, swaddling definitely has a soothing effect on little ones. It's a trick that has worked for many parents, myself included. It seems to give them a secure and cozy feeling, like being back in the womb.

Loud shushing definitely works too, although I found it worked better outdoors or in a noisy environment; otherwise, it tends to wake my kid up even more!

Thanks for the reminder about the wet wipes! They're an absolute essential and often overlooked. New parents might want to stock up on eco-friendly ones too, they're gentle on the baby's skin and better for the environment. Anything else anyone would recommend adding to the shopping list?
Newborns go through a lot of clothes in those early days, sometimes multiple changes a day! So I'd suggest stocking up on inexpensive yet comfortable outfits and onesies. Also, socks - lots and lots of socks. And for parents who like to keep their homes spotless, a good carpet shampoo or cleaner for any unexpected milk spew or nappy leaks!

Good one! Yes, swaddling definitely has a soothing effect on little ones. It's a trick that has worked for many parents, myself included. It seems to give them a secure and cozy feeling, like being back in the womb.

Loud shushing definitely works too, although I found it worked better outdoors or in a noisy environment; otherwise, it tends to wake my kid up even more!

Thanks for the reminder about the wet wipes! They're an absolute essential and often overlooked. New parents might want to stock up on eco-friendly ones too, they're gentle on the baby's skin and better for the environment. Anything else anyone would recommend adding to the shopping list?
Don't forget the nappy cream. You'd be surprised how many nappy rashes look like Mt. Vesuvius when your baby's skin is so delicate. And also stock up on your own skincare products too - as you'll most probably be up all night, eye bags will appear faster than you can say Jack Robinson and the last thing you'd want is to scare the baby.

For some reason, little ones seem to have an innate talent for throwing their dummies down the most inaccessible places - like that tiny crack between the sofa and coffee table, or straight onto the wet floor. Having a few extras on hand would save many tantrums (both baby and adult).

Good one! Yes, swaddling was a lifesaver for me too, especially in those first few weeks when they're so little and vulnerable. It's like a cozy hug that settles them nicely.

And I agree about the loud shushing; it's quite mesmerizing and calms them down faster than you'd think!

Wet wipes stockpile - check! New parents might want to add that to their newborn essentials shopping list, along with an extra pack of diapers for good measure. You won't regret having those essentials handy!
Yes better to be prepared! Stocking up on essential items is a wise move before the little one arrives. Parents can relax and focus on bonding during those initial tiring weeks. Any other suggestions, ladies?

Good one! Yes, swaddling was a lifesaver for me too, especially in those first few weeks when they're so little and vulnerable. It's like a cozy hug that settles them nicely.

And I agree about the loud shushing; it's quite mesmerizing and calms them down faster than you'd think!

Wet wipes stockpile - check! New parents might want to add that to their newborn essentials shopping list, along with an extra pack of diapers for good measure. You won't regret having those essentials handy!
having a stock of essentials is a great help during the first few days and weeks, when you're too tired to remember anything else. You never know how much you needed them until they're right there within reach! It also helps new parents stay calm when their baby's comfort and needs are taken care of.

On top of the above list, I'd say a comfortable nursing pillow is a must-have. It was a lifesaver during feeding times and even for propping up the little one safely when I needed to do other things (like grabbing a quick bite!). A baby monitor's also great for giving you peace of mind and some freedom to move around the house while keeping an eye/ear out for the little one.

Anything else mummies and daddies-to-be should stock up on?

better to be prepared than scrambling at the last minute! Having gone through it once, I'd also recommend having a small stash of ready-made frozen meals or easy-to-cook dinners. Those first few days can be overwhelming, and sometimes you're just too tired or busy to cook. It's nice to have a backup plan and not have to think too hard about dinner!

Having a consistent bedtime routine, which started with a warm bath and plenty of skin-to-skin contact, helped signal to my little one that bedtime was coming up. I also found that using a gentle massage oil during the process helped soothe her and kept her relaxed.

The room's ambiance played a big part too - dim lights and soft music created a cozy, sleepy atmosphere which she seemed to enjoy. This, combined with a comfy baby gro and plenty of cuddles, usually did the trick!

What else ladies? Any secrets to a peaceful bedtime?
A consistent routine is definitely key to a more peaceful bedtime, good on you for establishing that! A warm bath and skin-to-skin contact sounds so relaxing; I'll have to remember that for my next one.

I agree that keeping the room nice and cozy, with low lights and soft music playing in the background certainly helps create a serene environment. Add a bit of baby-safe essential oil or infant massage oil into the mix for a real treat!

I've also heard putting a heating pad on their crib mattress before bed can help too. It takes the chill off and makes it extra cozy - just remember to remove it before tucking them in.

Any other tricks to a smooth bedtime routine? Parents might want to take note of these little hacks!

Having a consistent bedtime routine, which started with a warm bath and plenty of skin-to-skin contact, helped signal to my little one that bedtime was coming up. I also found that using a gentle massage oil during the process helped soothe her and kept her relaxed.

The room's ambiance played a big part too - dim lights and soft music created a cozy, sleepy atmosphere which she seemed to enjoy. This, combined with a comfy baby gro and plenty of cuddles, usually did the trick!

What else ladies? Any secrets to a peaceful bedtime?
A warm, relaxing bath certainly helps create a soothing pre-bedtime routine! I found that bathing my little one with warm water and gentle soaps helped relax him too.

Adding a few drops of lavender essential oil in the bathwater was a game-changer for us. The subtle fragrance is calming, and it helped signal to my child that bedtime was near. It's an easy way to create an associaton between the smell and sleep.

Making sure the room is nice and cozy with dim lighting, and perhaps some soft lullabies in the background, is a must. I also found that black-out curtains were a great investment, especially during those longer summer evenings.

Does anyone have any tricks to share for those difficult teething nights?

My top tip would be establishing a nighttime routine that signals to the baby that bedtime is coming. Activities like reading a story or two and soft, gentle massages can help relax them and prepare them for sleep.

For keeping them cozy, I swear by cotton sleep sacks. They're a comfortable and safe alternative to blankets, especially for little ones who may kick off their covers. The added bonus is that it keeps them snug without the risk of any loose fabrics close to their face.

I also found that maintaining a consistent room temperature worked wonders. Having a thermostat to monitor the heat ensured that the baby's room didn't get too cold or too warm, which seemed to help him sleep more soundly.

And of course, black-out curtains are an essential part of the bedtime routine, especially during those long summer days when the sun stays up past bedtime! The last thing you want is a bright bedroom disrupting their slumber.

What other tricks do parents recommend for those tricky nighttime hours?
Black-out curtains are a godsend, especially in the hot sunny weather of Singapore. A consistent routine of reading a story or two with minimal distractions works well too. I also found that singing a lullaby or two helped my older one to relax and wind down - it seemed to have a soothing effect and created a peaceful atmosphere.

For little ones who like to keep busy, a distraction technique could work wonders too. Creating a stimulating environment with interesting mobiles or toys nearby can help keep them entertained and settled. This gives parents some well-deserved rest time, especially during the day when baby naptimes vary.

What other suggestions do you have for making bedtimes easier? I'm sure many parents would love to hear more tips!

Having a consistent bedtime routine helped signal to my kids that it was time to wind down. Bathtime, a comfy massage with some lotion, and a comforting story (even if they didn't understand the words) helped create a soothing ritual for sleep.

I also found that keeping the room dark and cool, with a few night lights to navigate by, helped them settle better. And a onesie or swaddle suit kept them cozy and snug without being too warm - they felt comforted and secure.

Some parents might be aware of the 'ferber method,' which involves controlled crying. It worked for us, but it's definitely not for everyone. You have to be consistent with whatever method you choose - babies are smart and pick up on any inconsistency!

I haven't tried music specifically, but I'll definitely keep it in mind for baby number two (hint: it's never too early to start classical training). Any specific tunes you found successful?
Music is a great idea actually, sometimes singing helps where other methods fail. I found lullabies of course, but also soft classical music which seemed to calm my little one. Mozart's Piano Concertos were a surprising hit and would send him off to dreamland pretty quickly.

And you're right about the consistency; babies soon learn what to expect. Establishing that nighttime routine early on definitely helps them settle better, and your hint about classical music is a goodie!

Anything else mamas? Any weird and wonderful tactics to get those precious night-owls to bed?

I found that creating a cozy, inviting sleep environment helped my kids settle into a good routine. Soft lighting and a constant white noise in the background seemed to help them relax into sleep mode.

For keeping them cozy, I swear by lightweight cotton wraps; they keep the chill out without making the baby too warm. And having a good collection of these in various colors and patterns adds a bit of fun to the whole experience!

What other tricks do you have up your sleeve for surviving those sleepless nights? Parents might need all the help they can get!
Creating a personalized, comforting routine that involves the same steps each night really helps. This could include stops at the changing table, a comfort item like a special blanket or stuffed animal (for older babies), and ending with some quiet time for feeding and cuddles. Using a rocker or bouncer seat can also help keep the baby serene - the gentle rocking motion lulls them to sleep.

During particularly fussy periods, wearing the baby in a carrier throughout the day kept them calm and allowed me to get things done. They love being close to you, and it replicates the feeling of being snug in the womb. It's a win-win!

For those who are open to it, co-sleeping can be a real lifesaver too - just ensure you follow safety guidelines if this is an option for you. Having your little one nestled safely next to you means easy access for nighttime feeds and plenty of cuddles.

There's no one-size-fits-all approach, so parents should stock up on their patience and be prepared to experiment. Before long, the sleepless nights will be a distant memory!

Getting newborns to sleep through the night is a tricky business. My daughter had colic when she was a few weeks old, so putting her down to sleep was a challenging mountain to climb. What worked for her, surprisingly, was soft, gentle massage moves accompanied by slow, soothing music in the background. It helped relax her and settle her down enough to fall asleep.

For keeping them cozy, I swear by those thin, lightweight blankets made of muslin material. They're breathable and just enough to keep baby warm without overheating.

I also used a sleep sack swaddle - it provided the comfort of a tight wrap but was safe and easy to use. These, coupled with a consistent bedtime routine of bath, massage, and music, helped my little one sleep better at night.

That said, every baby is different. My son, for instance, needed white noise and lots of snuggliness to fall asleep. You'll eventually find what works for your little one - it's a process of elimination and patience!

Anyone else have some secrets to share?
You seem to have a good handle on things with the massage, music, and bedding options. I agree that finding what works best for your baby is half the battle.

For me, it was all about establishing a consistent routine, including a calming bath time and a peaceful feeding session. I found that if I kept things quiet and dimly lit during Wind-down Time, my little one would settle better.

Also, being cautious of stimuli, like avoiding harsh lighting or loud noises, helped create a serene environment for rested baby (and mama!) zzz's.

It's a tricky phase, but it sounds like you're off to a great start! Here's to some peaceful nights ahead for all the exhausted mamas out there. CHEERS! 🤪🌙

Getting newborns to sleep through the night is a tricky business. My daughter had colic when she was a few weeks old, so putting her down to sleep was a challenging mountain to climb. What worked for her, surprisingly, was soft, gentle massage moves accompanied by slow, soothing music in the background. It helped relax her and settle her down enough to fall asleep.

For keeping them cozy, I swear by those thin, lightweight blankets made of muslin material. They're breathable and just enough to keep baby warm without overheating.

I also used a sleep sack swaddle - it provided the comfort of a tight wrap but was safe and easy to use. These, coupled with a consistent bedtime routine of bath, massage, and music, helped my little one sleep better at night.

That said, every baby is different. My son, for instance, needed white noise and lots of snuggliness to fall asleep. You'll eventually find what works for your little one - it's a process of elimination and patience!

As a parent, I found that using a calm, reassuring tone when talking to my fussy baby helped to soothe and relax her. Cooing intones seemed to mimic the sounds she heard in the womb, which helped in calming her down and setting the mood for sleep.

I also discovered that scent played an enormous role in calming my little one. Using aperfumed lotion or essential oil during massage time was soothing; the familiar scent helped her relax and associated the smell with sleep and comfort.

Another trick up my sleeve was nursing her in a dark room, which seemed to have a calming effect - it was almost hypnotic! Of course, this method may not work for every baby, but it's worth a shot if baby won't settle.

What other unconventional techniques have parents used to get their newborns to sleep?

Every parent's journey is different, and it's reassuring to hear these varied solutions. it's a matter of trial and error and learning what your newborn responds best to.

With my daughter, I found that the tried-and-true method of shushing noises and a pacifier got her to settle down quite quickly. It reproduced the noises she heard in the womb and comforted her enough to fall asleep. Also, ensuring that the room was Snuggo and cozy, with minimal interruptions from outside light or sound, helped immensely!

It's fascinating how parents pick up on these cues and find creative solutions - sometimes even before they realize it! It's a testament to that incredible bond forming between parent and child.

What other hacks do you guys have up your sleeve? All these suggestions are gold for new moms and dads!

Each baby has different preferences, so it's good to experiment! I found that playing some classical music helped create a peaceful atmosphere when preparing my little one for sleep. The right ambiance coupled with a comforting routine seemed to do the trick. A rockin' bedtime story never hurts too!

For those whose babies are prone to overheating, what are some go-to strategies apart from the usual fan and open window?

I've been fortunate that my child has mostly been a good sleeper. I established a bedtime routine from young, which included nursing, reading a story, and then putting her down while playing some soothing classical music. Creating a calm and relaxing environment with dimmed lights helped signal to her that it was time to sleep.

I also swear by the good old swaddle technique - it helped my daughter feel cozy and secure, especially during the first few weeks. It mimicked the snugness of the womb and prevented her from being startled awake by her own jerky movements.

But every baby is different, and when the swaddling didn't work anymore, I found that giving her a thin comforter to snuggle with helped her sleep soundly. It became her security blanket, and she'd associate it with sleep.

I also continued the white noise exposure, which seemed to lull her into a deep slumber. Some people might frown upon it, but it worked for us and meant everyone got some much-needed rest!
it seems that every baby has their preferences and what works for one might not work for another. It's a process of discovery and plenty of trial and error for tired parents! The comforter you described sounds like an adorable keepsake that your daughter will associate with comfort and security.

For anyone else reading along, what techniques did you find soothing for your little ones?

I've been fortunate that my child has mostly been a good sleeper. I established a bedtime routine from young, which included nursing, reading a story, and then putting her down while playing some soothing classical music. Creating a calm and relaxing environment with dimmed lights helped signal to her that it was time to sleep.

I also swear by the good old swaddle technique - it helped my daughter feel cozy and secure, especially during the first few weeks. It mimicked the snugness of the womb and prevented her from being startled awake by her own jerky movements.

But every baby is different, and when the swaddling didn't work anymore, I found that giving her a thin comforter to snuggle with helped her sleep soundly. It became her security blanket, and she'd associate it with sleep.

I also continued the white noise exposure, which seemed to lull her into a deep slumber. Some people might frown upon it, but it worked for us and meant everyone got some much-needed rest!
Exposing babies to different stimuli helps them develop and learn, so long as it's done safely. continues the discussion by sharing her experiences with creating good sleeping habits and asks:
What other tricks do you moms have for helping your little ones sleep through environmental sounds or slight changes in their surroundings? After all, we want our kids to be resilient little sleepers!

Certainly! It's fascinating to see how different methods work for different babies. White noise definitely has its benefits, creating that comforting ambiance that helps them relax into dreamland.

For parents whose babies are past the newborn stage, what other challenges did you face during those sleepless nights, and how did you overcome them?

Every baby really is different! My son preferred being walked around the house while being carried in a BabyBjörn. The gentle bouncing and shuffling noises seemed to send him into dreamland. He also liked looking at patterned fabrics, so I'd sometimes bring him on my laps during meals or hang colorful towels or fabric swatches above his crib for him to gaze at.

The best way to get them to sleep through the night is to create a very dull and boring environment in the room. No excess stimulation like bright lights or loud noises. Keep the noise levels very minimal.

For cozying them up, I swaddle them up like burritos, nice and tight. It mimics the snugness of the womb and helps them feel secure and warm. And then there's lots of skin-to-skin contact too-- babies love being close to their parents.
creating a dull environment can be soothing for babys. The key seems to be establishing a routine and sticking to it!

Any other strategies you think might help?

The best way to get them to sleep through the night is to create a very dull and boring environment in the room. No excess stimulation like bright lights or loud noises. Keep the noise levels very minimal.

For cozying them up, I swaddle them up like burritos, nice and tight. It mimics the snugness of the womb and helps them feel secure and warm. And then there's lots of skin-to-skin contact too-- babies love being close to their parents.
It seems like creating a soothing and comfortable sleep environment is crucial for our little ones. keeping things bland and straightforward helps them focus on getting some rest instead of becoming stimulated and intrigued by their surroundings.

I'm glad we're all in agreement about the importance of creating a cozy space - it certainly makes life easier when babies can settle themselves to sleep!

Are there any other tips you think might help exhausted parents out there?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu