• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Caring for Newborns

Yes, I used a lot of petroleum jelly on my baby's dry skin too! And also, in addition to your suggestion regarding scents and smell, i found that using the same perfume or lotion that mom uses can have a comforting effect on the babies, as they recognize the familiar scent. It is amazing how these little hacks can make a huge difference!
It's incredible how our little sensory cues can go such a long way with newborns! The sense of smell is so acute in them - it's wonderful that you've found ways to soothe your baby using familiar scents. They're such cuddly little creatures; you really can't help but sniff them all up!

Yes, I used a lot of petroleum jelly on my baby's dry skin too! And also, in addition to your suggestion regarding scents and smell, i found that using the same perfume or lotion that mom uses can have a comforting effect on the babies, as they recognize the familiar scent. It is amazing how these little hacks can make a huge difference!
It's incredible how our sense of smell can evoke emotions and comfort! Baby's exposed to all these new smells in the outside world; it makes perfect sense that familiarity would soothe them. I wonder if, over time, they'll associate some scents with specific emotions or memories - like how we do as adults! There's a whole realm of unknowns with these tiny humans, but it's so much fun discovering these little tricks and treats to help them feel loved and calm.

Having some me-time really is important! I usually took some time to read or watch something interesting after my son's bedtime, which helped me relax and recharge. Some of the energy drank for mums could also come in handy during the sleepless nights.
I remember how those rare moments of peace could be a godsend! It's important to take time for yourself, especially with the craziness of newborn life. Those little pockets of enjoyment - be it reading or binge-watching something - help you stay grounded and sane.

On that note, does anyone have any recommendations for an interesting audiobook or podcast? Something engaging, preferably non-fiction, would be great for those late nights.

Having some me-time really is important! I usually took some time to read or watch something interesting after my son's bedtime, which helped me relax and recharge. Some of the energy drank for mums could also come in handy during the sleepless nights.
I totally agree that having some solid "me-time" helps us recharge and refocus our energies! It can get pretty tiring, so taking some time for ourselves helps us be more present with our little ones. I like how you sneak in a joke about the energy drinks too; sounds like something all mothers would relate to!

The tiredness certainly hits hard, especially with a lively tot running - or rather crawling - around! Having some downtime for yourself is definitely crucial so that you can recharge as well. It's easy to forget about oneself with a demanding newborn, so making conscious efforts is important. Here's hoping you get some peaceful reading time soon!

Having nutritious snacks on hand is definitely a clever idea, especially for new moms who are often too busy to prepare proper meals. It's also helpful to remember that caring for yourself is important so you can have the energy and patience to care for your child. Baby carriers are a godsend for keeping your hands free, aren't they!
You're right! The wraps and carriers give the baby that physical comfort and also allow you mobility and freedom - a win-win situation! And yes, self-care is important so we can be our best selves for our little ones. 😊 Some downtime with a good book sounds like the perfect relaxing recipe after a long day of baby care!

Having nutritious snacks on hand is definitely a clever idea, especially for new moms who are often too busy to prepare proper meals. It's also helpful to remember that caring for yourself is important so you can have the energy and patience to care for your child. Baby carriers are a godsend for keeping your hands free, aren't they!
You're absolutely right; self-care is crucial, especially for new parents! In the chaos of settling into motherhood, it's so easy to forget that you need tending to as well. Shortcuts and preparation help - whether it's having ready meals or setting aside some time for your hobbies - to maintain that sanity!

Yes baby carriers are a real lifesaver! You mentioned having some "me-time" which is really essential, but I think it extends beyond that - having couple time or catching up with friends kept me sane as a stay-at-home mom. It's important not to let the baby consume your entire identity; there's more to you than being a mother!

Having some form of physical contact really helps, whether it's wearing them in a carrier or simply holding their tiny hands. My child would often fall asleep while holding my finger, so precious!
Awww that's sweet! Yes, those moments are incredibly special. Newborns crave touch and physical assurance, and you're right - it's amazing how calming simply holding their small hand can be!

Having nutritious snacks within reach is a clever trick to ensure your own well-being, which is ultimately beneficial for the whole family. I, too, am a big fan of baby wraps, they're so cozy and provide that extra reassurance for newborns.
The little tricks you pick up during the newborn phase really make a huge difference! It's like survival tips that should be shared with all new moms.

Having nutritious snacks within reach is a clever trick to ensure your own well-being, which is ultimately beneficial for the whole family. I, too, am a big fan of baby wraps, they're so cozy and provide that extra reassurance for newborns.
It's amazing how something simple could bring so much peace of mind! The little ones are lucky to have such caring mummies!

Having a baby carrier that distributes the weight evenly is godsend! I could run errands while comforting baby simultaneously without fearing for my back or straining myself. Those wraps look good for portability but seemed intimidating to put on. Does anyone have experience with different types of carriers? Are some better than others for extended wear?
I've tried a few different kinds as hand-me-downs from friends, so I'm afraid I'm not loyal to any particular brand. I remember finding the buckle carriers easier to use than wraps, especially when you're on your own and don't have an extra pair of hands to help adjust it. But the wrap seemed kinder to my back, distribute the baby's weight more evenly, and felt a lot comfier for longer periods. I suppose it depends on what you're prioritising - some are definitely more ergonomic than others!

My little one loved the good old swaddle technique - it provided a cozy, snugglish feeling that reminded them of being in the womb. It calmed them down and helped them sleep longer. Those velcro swaddles are a godsend!
I agree, the swaddling technique is a classic for a good reason! It's such a simple yet effective way to soothe a fussy baby. The Velcro swaddles are convenient, especially for new parents who might struggle with the swaddling process. It provides a secure and cozy environment that mimics the feeling of being held, allowing them to relax and sleep soundly.

I discovered that my little one could be soothed by mimicking the comforting sounds of the womb, such as those white noise apps with specific heartbeat tracks. It helped them settle into sleep mode, especially when coupled with a gentle rocking motion.
Wow, that's interesting how babies can be soothed with different tactics that mimic life in the womb! The little one's definitely got you figured out, mama! Keep those tricks coming - they might come real handy during the baby's first tricky phases!

A soothing bath routine before bed really helped my little one relax and unwound for the day. Using warm water and calming baby bath products created a peaceful pre-bed ritual. Also, massaging their gums gentle with a clean finger or wet cloth can help soothe teething pain if that's the issue.
A relaxing pre-bed routine is a lovely way to signal bedtime. I found that a downward motion when massaging my child's forehead and scalp area helped too - almost like a gentle shampooing motion! It really soothed them and encouraged sleep.

Some babies are soothed by the vacuum cleaner sound, lulling them to sleep with its white noise. If you're desperate for some shuteye, it might be worth a shot! Others swear by baby massage, but that's a skill that comes with practice and a bit of learningcurve. Also, some essential oils - like lavender, widely known for its calming attributes - used with a diffuser can create a soothing ambiance, though I recommend checking first with a doctor to ensure it's safe for your little one.
Some new moms might be wary of using anything fragranced with their little ones so young, but you're right about the calming effects of lavender essential oil. I've also heard of parents using soothing baby lotion or perfume on their babies' clothes, which is a lovely idea, isn't it? That fresh baby smell is heavenly!

A warm bath before bedtime helped my baby settle down and provided a signal that night was approaching. It also helped that I used the same scent of baby wash, which became a cue for sleep. And lots and lots of cuddles, of course!
A nice warm cuddle is a great way to bond and comfort! Cuddling up with my little one definitely helps to signal to them that it's bedtime and the warmth is soothing.

Quirky tips... hmm.. well, I always tell new parents to keep their expectations low... especially when it comes to personal hygiene! Haha. A quick shower and a fresh change of clothes can make you feel human again after a long, messy day of parenting a newborn. And on that note, have some wet wipes handy in the shower for a quick refresh if you're short on time! Also great for a quick makeup removal when your beauty routine has been trimmed to the essentials.
You've gotta do what you can to feel human again, especially when you're running on empty! Those wet wipes are a life hack - they're not just for babies!

Quirky tips... hmm.. well, I always tell new parents to keep their expectations low... especially when it comes to personal hygiene! Haha. A quick shower and a fresh change of clothes can make you feel human again after a long, messy day of parenting a newborn. And on that note, have some wet wipes handy in the shower for a quick refresh if you're short on time! Also great for a quick makeup removal when your beauty routine has been trimmed to the essentials.
Yep, prioritizing self-care is definitely important amidst the chaos! Keeping a small kit of essential toiletries in the baby's room can be a real sanity-saver. And I second the wet wipes - they're not just for babies! It's also a good idea to stock up on easy-to-prepare meals or snacks that can be whipped out when you've got no energy left after a full day of parenting.

Having a sense of humour makes everything more bearable! Newborns have a remarkable talent for always needing attention at all hours, so being prepared is half the battle won. I second the suggestion to keep some quick and easy meal ideas on hand - eating well keeps energy levels up during demanding times.

For keeping cool when faced with unpredictable situations, I find that having a flexible mindset helps. It's easier said than done, but by not being too attached to a rigid plan, I feel more equipped to roll with the punches.

Having a dedicated space for changing diapers helps too; a designated station ensures everything you need is within reach and makes the process faster. And keeping some small toys or gadgets strapped to the crib can keep the baby entertained while you attend to other tasks nearby. They're fascinated by the new objects and it provides a safe visual stimulus.

On that note, what are some of your go-to distraction tactics when burping or during diaper time?
Some babies enjoy looking at their reflection in a mirror - it's like having a fascinating playmate! It occupies their attention and helps with developing their sense of self-awareness too. A playful mobile hanging above the changing station can also be a fun distraction. As baby gets older and more responsive, I like to engage them with simple and silly talk during diaper changes - it encourages eye contact and bond-strengthening moments.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu