• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Caring for Newborns

My babies were easily overstimulated in their early weeks, so I found that keeping the nursery relatively calm and quiet was key. I used a blackout curtain to ensure the room was nice and dark, which seemed to help them rest better, especially during daytime naps.

For soothing fussiness, I'd often swaddle my little ones snugly and then rock them side to side, which would almost instantly soothe them to sleep. It was like magic!

I agree with previous suggestions about essential items. I'd like to add that having a small supply of gripping mittens is helpful to prevent baby scratches. Also, if you're up for it, a few nice sleeping gowns are a blessing for easy access during nighttime feedings and diaper changes.

I found that some babies are particular about their laying environment. Mine, for one, would fuss less if the bedding smelt like me. It's kind of intuitive, as they're so used to your smell from being in the womb, so using the same laundry detergent helps with the transition.

What do you ladies think of essential oils or any other natural remedies for soothing? I heard good things about them but always feared the smells might be too strong for the newborns.
Using the same detergent certainly helps with familiarity and helps baby feel at home in this strange new world! I agree that strong smells could be overwhelming, but some gentle essential oils like lavender or chamomile may help calm and soothe. They say that babies tend to enjoy smells that remind them of amniotic fluid, so a very subtle whiff of something citrusy or acidic could help. But yes, definitely go easy on the drops!

I also found that massaging my baby's little feet helped relax her, almost as if it was a cue for winding down before bed. A gentle touch goes a long way!

Rocking and shushing are definitely oldies but goodies! They worked like a charm for my little ones too, especially on fussy nights. I also found that having a mobile with hanging toys above the crib helped capture my baby's attention and encouraged independent playtime, giving me some much-needed hands-free moments.

As for essentials, I agree with you on the pacifiers - we called them binkies - they were a literal lifeline! And adding to the list, vaseline was my go-to for any minor skin irritations and dryness. Also, having a small humidifier kept the nursery nice and cozy, which helped with congestion and kept baby's nose clear.
Humidifiers are excellent additions, especially in dry seasons or locations! I remember having to use one myself whenever I had a bad cold because it would help moisturise my nasal passage. Good call on that one! And I agree, the simple act of capturing their attention with visual stimuli is an easy way to engage and soothe them.

Rocking and shushing are definitely oldies but goodies! They worked like a charm for my little ones too, especially on fussy nights. I also found that having a mobile with hanging toys above the crib helped capture my baby's attention and encouraged independent playtime, giving me some much-needed hands-free moments.

As for essentials, I agree with you on the pacifiers - we called them binkies - they were a literal lifeline! And adding to the list, vaseline was my go-to for any minor skin irritations and dryness. Also, having a small humidifier kept the nursery nice and cozy, which helped with congestion and kept baby's nose clear.
I remember how particular newborns can be about their environment. Mine wasn't fond of bright lights and loud noises, so having a cool-toned night light and some soft, classical music on in the background helped keep her calm. I also second the suggestion on vaseline; it's a multipurpose must-have!

You've probably got yourself a little cuddle monster then! Cuddles and physical touch are calming for babies; that's for sure. They're like tiny little koalas. 😊 It's sweet how you described your baby as fussing less with familiarity - it's almost as if they sought comfort in the smells, like a comforting blanket!
I've also heard of parents using those sleep sacks - basically wearable blankets - to help their little ones sleep better too. It gives them that snug feeling, especially helpful when they're not swaddled anymore. Does your little one have a favorite?

Yes, I used a lot of petroleum jelly on my baby's dry skin too! And also, in addition to your suggestion regarding scents and smell, i found that using the same perfume or lotion that mom uses can have a comforting effect on the babies, as they recognize the familiar scent. It is amazing how these little hacks can make a huge difference!

Reactions: travelmum
Keeping a stash of healthy snacks stashed away for quick energy boosts was a savior during those chaotic first weeks. As they say, feed the mom, and everyone will be happy!
I second the recommendation for a baby wrap/carrier - it leaves your hands free for other tasks and snuggling your little one close provides that extra comfort.
Having some me-time really is important! I usually took some time to read or watch something interesting after my son's bedtime, which helped me relax and recharge. Some of the energy drank for mums could also come in handy during the sleepless nights.

Keeping a stash of healthy snacks stashed away for quick energy boosts was a savior during those chaotic first weeks. As they say, feed the mom, and everyone will be happy!
I second the recommendation for a baby wrap/carrier - it leaves your hands free for other tasks and snuggling your little one close provides that extra comfort.
Having nutritious snacks on hand is definitely a clever idea, especially for new moms who are often too busy to prepare proper meals. It's also helpful to remember that caring for yourself is important so you can have the energy and patience to care for your child. Baby carriers are a godsend for keeping your hands free, aren't they!

Having some form of physical contact really helps, whether it's wearing them in a carrier or simply holding their tiny hands. My child would often fall asleep while holding my finger, so precious!

Having nutritious snacks within reach is a clever trick to ensure your own well-being, which is ultimately beneficial for the whole family. I, too, am a big fan of baby wraps, they're so cozy and provide that extra reassurance for newborns.

Having a baby carrier that distributes the weight evenly is godsend! I could run errands while comforting baby simultaneously without fearing for my back or straining myself. Those wraps look good for portability but seemed intimidating to put on. Does anyone have experience with different types of carriers? Are some better than others for extended wear?

Keeping things consistent right from the start is a great way to establish a routine, which is so important for newborns!

I found that using a white noise machine during bedtime helped my child sleep soundly, especially one that had a built-in light projector with calming colors. It provided a nice, soothing environment and gave a signal that it was time to rest.

As for essentials, muslin squares are something I always kept on hand. They're practical for mopping up milk spit-up or as a quick burp cloth. And stock up on those tiny little sock slippers! It seems babies have a talent for losing them, yet they're crucial for keeping tiny toes warm.

Also, while not an essential item, having a mobile above the crib can be entertaining for them and help develop their visual skills. Mine seemed to love staring at the brightly colored dangling toys and it bought me a few moments of peace!

What else has worked for calming those nighttime cries?
My little one loved the good old swaddle technique - it provided a cozy, snugglish feeling that reminded them of being in the womb. It calmed them down and helped them sleep longer. Those velcro swaddles are a godsend!

Keeping things consistent right from the start is a great way to establish a routine, which is so important for newborns!

I found that using a white noise machine during bedtime helped my child sleep soundly, especially one that had a built-in light projector with calming colors. It provided a nice, soothing environment and gave a signal that it was time to rest.

As for essentials, muslin squares are something I always kept on hand. They're practical for mopping up milk spit-up or as a quick burp cloth. And stock up on those tiny little sock slippers! It seems babies have a talent for losing them, yet they're crucial for keeping tiny toes warm.

Also, while not an essential item, having a mobile above the crib can be entertaining for them and help develop their visual skills. Mine seemed to love staring at the brightly colored dangling toys and it bought me a few moments of peace!

I discovered that my little one could be soothed by mimicking the comforting sounds of the womb, such as those white noise apps with specific heartbeat tracks. It helped them settle into sleep mode, especially when coupled with a gentle rocking motion.

A soothing bath routine before bed really helped my little one relax and unwound for the day. Using warm water and calming baby bath products created a peaceful pre-bed ritual. Also, massaging their gums gentle with a clean finger or wet cloth can help soothe teething pain if that's the issue.

Some babies are soothed by the vacuum cleaner sound, lulling them to sleep with its white noise. If you're desperate for some shuteye, it might be worth a shot! Others swear by baby massage, but that's a skill that comes with practice and a bit of learningcurve. Also, some essential oils - like lavender, widely known for its calming attributes - used with a diffuser can create a soothing ambiance, though I recommend checking first with a doctor to ensure it's safe for your little one.

A warm bath before bedtime helped my baby settle down and provided a signal that night was approaching. It also helped that I used the same scent of baby wash, which became a cue for sleep. And lots and lots of cuddles, of course!

I can definitely attest to the magical calming powers of swaddling! It's a life saver technique for sure. And yes, loud shushing always works like a charm for some reason.

Alcohol might be a good idea for the parents haha! Definitely a stressful yet wonderful time.
You're absolutely right about the stress and wonderment of those early days - they're truly unforgettable!

I found keeping a detailed logbook helpful, jotting down feeding times, diaper changes, sleep cycles, and cute little milestones. This was useful for pattern recognition and also to share with the pediatrician if needed. Note-taking also allowed me to observe and appreciate my child's unique rhythm and preferences.

Also, a parent hack for when you're desperate for some quiet: some apps have great white noise and nature sounds that can help calm baby down. They're a Godsend when nothing else seems to work, and they double as a handy tool for parents' relaxation too! You can find some good ones with a quick download, although I eventually settled on a white noise machine for its convenience.

What other tips do you moms have for those tricky first weeks?

A good sense of humour is certainly helpful during those exhausting newborn days!

Swaddling is a great tip, it's a classic for a good reason! I found that it helped to keep my little one cozy and secure, especially in those first few weeks. It definitely helped with calming those late-night cries.

Loud shushing sounds are also quite the lifesaver. As are white noise apps, which are great when you need a moment of peace to gather your patience :).

I'll add to the above list of essentials: a few good books on quick and easy meal prep. Having some go-to recipes that can be whipped up with minimal effort is a godsend during those hungry newborn days and nights.

What other quirky tips do people have for surviving the fourth trimester?
Quirky tips... hmm.. well, I always tell new parents to keep their expectations low... especially when it comes to personal hygiene! Haha. A quick shower and a fresh change of clothes can make you feel human again after a long, messy day of parenting a newborn. And on that note, have some wet wipes handy in the shower for a quick refresh if you're short on time! Also great for a quick makeup removal when your beauty routine has been trimmed to the essentials.

A good sense of humour is certainly helpful during those exhausting newborn days!

Swaddling is a great tip, it's a classic for a good reason! I found that it helped to keep my little one cozy and secure, especially in those first few weeks. It definitely helped with calming those late-night cries.

Loud shushing sounds are also quite the lifesaver. As are white noise apps, which are great when you need a moment of peace to gather your patience :).

I'll add to the above list of essentials: a few good books on quick and easy meal prep. Having some go-to recipes that can be whipped up with minimal effort is a godsend during those hungry newborn days and nights.

What other quirky tips do people have for surviving the fourth trimester?
Having a sense of humour makes everything more bearable! Newborns have a remarkable talent for always needing attention at all hours, so being prepared is half the battle won. I second the suggestion to keep some quick and easy meal ideas on hand - eating well keeps energy levels up during demanding times.

For keeping cool when faced with unpredictable situations, I find that having a flexible mindset helps. It's easier said than done, but by not being too attached to a rigid plan, I feel more equipped to roll with the punches.

Having a dedicated space for changing diapers helps too; a designated station ensures everything you need is within reach and makes the process faster. And keeping some small toys or gadgets strapped to the crib can keep the baby entertained while you attend to other tasks nearby. They're fascinated by the new objects and it provides a safe visual stimulus.

On that note, what are some of your go-to distraction tactics when burping or during diaper time?

I can definitely attest to the magical calming powers of swaddling! It's a life saver technique for sure. And yes, loud shushing always works like a charm for some reason.

Alcohol might be a good idea for the parents haha! Definitely a stressful yet wonderful time.
A nice coldTiger beer. That's my go-to stress reliever. Sometimes I wonder how all the noise and chaos suddenly became so bearable... motherhood, eh? But yup, nothing beats the calm that comes after the storm. Especially when you can just gaze at your little one all snuggled up, looking contentedly blissful.

Now, tell me, how do you manage those awkward breastfeeding moments in public? I remember struggling with discretion and being self-conscious initially.

Good one! Yes, swaddling definitely has a soothing effect on little ones. It's a trick that has worked for many parents, myself included. It seems to give them a secure and cozy feeling, like being back in the womb.

Loud shushing definitely works too, although I found it worked better outdoors or in a noisy environment; otherwise, it tends to wake my kid up even more!

Thanks for the reminder about the wet wipes! They're an absolute essential and often overlooked. New parents might want to stock up on eco-friendly ones too, they're gentle on the baby's skin and better for the environment. Anything else anyone would recommend adding to the shopping list?
I'd say another useful item which helped me was a nursery thermometer. Keeping the room at a comfortable temperature seems to help them sleep better and having a thermometer ensured I could keep the environment just right. Also, it's quite fascinating to observe the temperature fluctuations throughout the day, which helps in maintaining that optimal cooling or heating.

Besides material things, what also helped me was having a good support system in place - not afraid to ask for help when needed. Be it a listening ear or an extra pair of hands, it's reassuring to know there's someone around to lend assistance, especially during those overwhelming moments.

Any parent have tips on maintaining their sanity while getting through those newborn days?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu