• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

ToysBooks

I never went in for those fancy, expensive plush toys. My son had a whole menagerie of animal soft toys, most of which I bought at dollar stores. He didn't differentiate between them and had no favourite either. Tossed them all into the toy bucket and was happy to play with whichever one happened to be on top. Books? He devoured them but wasn't fussy about the stories or begged to read any particular titles over and over again. The kid just loved books, that's it. At one stage, he was into Captain Underpants and anything by Roald Dahl, but that wasn't an everyday thing.
Some kids are just easygoing and not fussy about their toys! Lucky you! Roald Dahl is a interesting read for the young'uns with all those quirky and gross details.

I never went in for those fancy, expensive plush toys. My son had a whole menagerie of animal soft toys, most of which I bought at dollar stores. He didn't differentiate between them and had no favourite either. Tossed them all into the toy bucket and was happy to play with whichever one happened to be on top. Books? He devoured them but wasn't fussy about the stories or begged to read any particular titles over and over again. The kid just loved books, that's it. At one stage, he was into Captain Underpants and anything by Roald Dahl, but that wasn't an everyday thing.
Dollar stores have some real gems! It's heartwarming to see children appreciating the simple pleasures of varied toys without fixation on expensive brands. It's the experiences and memories created through interaction that matter.

My daughter also had a favourite stuffed toy - a sheep that we won together at the arcade. We named her Fluffy, and my little one took her everywhere for the longest time! It's heartwarming to see how much these toys mean to children.

I enjoyed reading the Magic School Bus books. They were so entertaining and educational, with all those wacky adventures Ms Frizzle would take her class on. I remember watching the TV show too, which was equally fun!
The Magic School Bus is such a great recommendation! It's a wonderful way to make learning fun and exciting for kids.

My daughter also had a favourite stuffed toy - a sheep that we won together at the arcade. We named her Fluffy, and my little one took her everywhere for the longest time! It's heartwarming to see how much these toys mean to children.

I enjoyed reading the Magic School Bus books. They were so entertaining and educational, with all those wacky adventures Ms Frizzle would take her class on. I remember watching the TV show too, which was equally fun!
The Magic School Bus is an excellent series to expose kids to. It makes learning fun and sparks their imagination! My kid enjoyed them too, especially the wacky science concepts and the funny names of the students. Have you watched the new iteration on Netflix, called *The Magic School Bus Rides Again*? It's just as fun, and the kids love it!

The Magic School Bus is a fantastic series with its imaginative plots! Educational shows and books are great because they make learning fun.

That's sweet of her bunny named Bun. I think a lot of kids get attached to a specific toy; it's adorable how they form such deep bonds with their comfort objects.

I've not heard of Corduroy Bear before, but it does sound like a cute story! There's something about children's books and their innocence that's so charming and heartwarming.
You're right; it's fascinating to witness how much comfort these toys provide to little ones! Corduroy Bear is adorable, with lots of life lessons tucked in its simple storyline - a great recommendation!

Have you heard of Mo Willem's pigeon series? They're hilarious! My kids enjoyed them very much and also the Elmer books with all the bright colours and positive messaging.

That's sweet of her bunny named Bun. I think a lot of kids get attached to a specific toy; it's adorable how they form such deep bonds with their comfort objects.

I've not heard of Corduroy Bear before, but it does sound like a cute story! There's something about children's books and their innocence that's so charming and heartwarming.
You're right; it's fascinating to observe kids and their special toys or objects. Often, these become their constant companions, providing comfort and companionship.

Corduroy seems to be one of those classic stories that every kid should hear, a cute tale with an important message about accepting others and belonging.

Children's literature is charming, full of imagination and innocence- a welcome break from the complex novels for adults!

There's a charm in the simplicity of children's stories, which often contains profound lessons. The Corduroy bear story is a cute and comforting tale, perfect for the little ones. It's interesting how certain toys and books become special bonds for life. Grace's daughter also treasures her stuffed toy and enjoys the comfort it provides.

You should give Corduroy Bear a read; it's a lovely little tale with lots of visuals too - great for the imagination!

Kids' toys and their favourite things can be so endearing. Mine had their phases with various toys, and it's fascinating to see how attached they got. It's like these objects become their best mates!

Yes isn't it fascinating how every child has their own unique taste even at such young ages? toys and books with themes of companionship seem to be comforting and appealing to little ones! Corduroy sounds adorable, I might get that for my kiddo! Are there any other recommendations you'd give for younger kids' literature?
There are so many lovely books for younger kids nowadays! Apart from the classics like The Very Hungry Caterpillar and any of Eric Carle's books (they're illustrate-heavy which is great for grabbing a toddler's attention), I've had success with Mo Willems' Pigeon series. They're hilarious and have simple, witty drawings that young children seem to love. Pigeon always has these comical expressions! Also, Julia Donaldson's stories such as The Gruffalo and Room on the Broom are fun, with catchy rhymes that you can really ham it up when reading aloud - great for older toddlers and preschoolers.

Yes isn't it fascinating how every child has their own unique taste even at such young ages? toys and books with themes of companionship seem to be comforting and appealing to little ones! Corduroy sounds adorable, I might get that for my kiddo! Are there any other recommendations you'd give for younger kids' literature?
There's never a shortage of wonderful books to recommend! I quite liked the Ellie Ray books - a funny series about a young girl navigating life with her friends and family. It has a great female protagonist, and the stories are so relatable with lots of humour thrown in. Mo Willems' Elephant and Piggie are also cute and fun, perfect for early readers with their short, quirky tales of this unlikely yet dynamic duo. And if your kiddo likes fantasy and adventure, Matt Haig's The Train to Impossible Places is an exciting journey through time and space.

The Goosebumps series left an impression on many kids, including yourself and your daughter! It's interesting how different generations can enjoy similar toys and books. Corduroy is a heartwarming story with an encouraging message, a classic for every shelf.
As for recommendations: The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle is a cute and educational book about the life cycle of a butterfly, which young kids enjoy because of the vibrant pictures and simple storyline. Another one is Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss, a funny tale with catchy rhymes that my little ones loved. It's a delight to read their faces as you mimic the voices of Sam-I-Am and his friend!

For slightly older kids, The Chronicles of Narnia are enchanting. The magical world and adventure captured my imagination as a child, and it's a great introduction to fantasy fiction. The language is rich and descriptive, an auditory delight for Bedtime stories.

There are so many great books for kids! The classics like Moomintroll by Tove Jansson are excellent, with lovely illustrations accompany heartwarming stories about the moomins' adventures. Another classic I'd recommend is The Little Prince - it's a wonderful tale with deep and thoughtful messages that young ones might not fully grasp, but the imagery is enchanting nonetheless and lends itself well to their imaginations.

If you'd like something more recent and illustrated, The Day Ray Got Lost by Andy Griffiths is hilarious and captivating, with a bit of adventure and lots of funny moments young kids will enjoy (and learn a bit of directionality too!). For something quirky and adorable, Goolo the Owl, I Only Know Owllop is an endearing story about a cute owl who just wants to fit in and makes the sweetest of friends.

Another wonderful author is Julia Donaldson; her stories like The Gruffalo and Stick Man are fabulous with fun rhythm and cute characters that kids adore. There's also a lovely message about family and the importance of nature in stick man, which is a wonderful bonus!

The Goosebumps series left an impression on many kids, including yourself and your daughter! It's interesting how different generations can enjoy similar toys and books. Corduroy is a heartwarming story with an encouraging message, a classic for every shelf.
There are so many wonderful books for younger readers! The Moomintroll series is a delight - cute troll characters living in whimsical lands, filled with magical illustrations. For something more adventurous, Dave PILKEY's Captain Underpants series is funny and engaging with its comic-strip style and quirky storylines. Julia Donaldson's stories, like 'The Gruffalo' and 'Room on the Broom,' are great fun too, with catchy rhymes and lovely illustrations.

As for recommendations: For younger readers, I'd suggest Eric Carle's *The Very Hungry Caterpillar*. The vibrant illustrations and playful stories by Carle are a delight, with a simple but captivating plot that often holds the attention of little ones. Another recommended read is *Humphrey's Tiny Tales* by O'Shannon: a cute collection of short stories about a adorable hamster named Humphrey, residing in Room 26 of Longfellow School. It's an engaging read with funny illustrations and valuable lessons about making friends and embracing differences.

Older kids might enjoy the *Dory Fantasmagory* series by Abbott, which takes readers on an adventure into Dory's imagination - a wild world where she must outwit scary creatures! Filled with suspense and humor, it's a captivating read with lovely lessons on courage and creativity. Also, the *Junie B. Jones* books by Park are humorous and relatable, with a touch of mischief that most kids will enjoy identifying with! They're quirky and fun, perfect for the 8-12 age range.

That's heartwarming to hear about Bluey, such a cute and faithful companion! I remember The Very Hungry Caterpillar too, such a colourful and catchy book with a sweet message about transformation, no wonder it captivated you! Eric Carle's illustration style is so distinctive and delightful. Do your children enjoy it too?
My son found the illustrations fascinating; the variety of colors and textures kept him engaged. He would point at the pictures and ask me to tell him what was happening on each page. We also had a few touch-and-feel versions of Baby Dear, which he enjoyed because of their different sensory elements.

That's heartwarming to hear about Bluey, such a cute and faithful companion! I remember The Very Hungry Caterpillar too, such a colourful and catchy book with a sweet message about transformation, no wonder it captivated you! Eric Carle's illustration style is so distinctive and delightful. Do your children enjoy it too?
Yes my kids love the vibrant images in The Very Hungry Caterpillar! It's one of those books that little ones never seem to get bored of. The hole punches throughout the story always capture their attention, and they enjoy pointing at them and 'eating' along with the caterpillar. Eric Carle's vibrant, bold illustrations are a treat for the eyes - we're visual creatures even as children, aren't we? The repeated refrains in the story also make it engaging for toddlers learning to speak.

We also borrowed the same book from the library a few sizes larger than the standard paperback; it came with fun flaps and additional details on each page that intrigued my older one. It's such a delight to see them engrossed in a story, isn't it? The Very Hungry Caterpillar holds a special place in many children's literary experiences, for sure!

As a librarian, I'm pleased to see so many recommendations for children's literature! It's a joy to see parents exposing their kids to books early on; it helps develop empathy and sparks their imaginations.

Eric Carle's work has a distinct style that's instantly recognisable, doesn't it? The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a catchy one with its vibrant illustrations and simple message about the cycles of life. My son wasn't particularly captivated by it, but he did enjoy another of Carle's works, The Grouchy Ladybug. There's something about that sassy ladybug's adventures that resonated with him!

My kids enjoyed the bright pictures in The Very Hungry Caterpillar. We would point at the different fruits the caterpillar ate, which was great for their vocabulary and recognition of everyday objects. They were fascinated by the cocoon and the emergence of a butterfly, which we could hardly recognize from the cute chubby caterpillar! It's a lovely book with enduring appeal.

They sure do! My older one loves the vivid images and always points out the little details in the illustrations, like the cute spider crawling into the corner of each page. It's lovely to see them appreciate the classic tales I enjoyed as a child. They also like The Very Impatient Caterpillar, which is a funny twist on the original story with a feisty caterpillar who gets frustrated with the slow eating pace of his friends. It's amazing how authors can give a new spin on a familiar tale and make it just as engaging!

Reactions: mamamia

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu