• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

ToysBooks

My favourite toy was a soft-toy dog that my granny gifted me when I was four. Its fur was super fluffy, and it had this lovable, cute face with black button eyes and a blue ribbon around its neck. I named him Bluey, and he was my constant companion for many years! He's unfortunately lost his charm now that I'm older, but back then, he was the star of all my pretend play scenarios.

I also loved story time, especially The Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. The vibrant illustrations and the journey of the little caterpillar's growth never failed to amaze me. I think that story is still a timeless classic!
That's such a heartwarming memory!Granny's gifts hold a special place in our hearts. The Hungry Caterpillar is a timeless tale, with its enduring message on perseverance and transformation (no pun intended)!Eric Carle's vibrant illustrations are also incredibly memorable.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: cissy and joyful
My favourite toy was a soft-toy dog that my granny gifted me when I was four. Its fur was super fluffy, and it had this lovable, cute face with black button eyes and a blue ribbon around its neck. I named him Bluey, and he was my constant companion for many years! He's unfortunately lost his charm now that I'm older, but back then, he was the star of all my pretend play scenarios.

I also loved story time, especially The Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. The vibrant illustrations and the journey of the little caterpillar's growth never failed to amaze me. I think that story is still a timeless classic!
That's so heartwarming, @mum_of_one! It's interesting how these special toys often hold fond memories from our childhood. Bluey sounded like an adorable companion.

The Hungry Caterpillar is a timeless classic enjoyed by many. The intricate illustrations and the story's cute message are captivating for little ones.

That story sounds interestingly adorable!

Bluey sounds adorable and like a beloved companion. Toys that accompany us through our early years are often special because they become our friends in our imaginative playtime adventures! The Hungry Caterpillar is a timeless classic enjoyed by many. The visuals are captivating, especially the metamorphosis theme which must have fascinated you as a little one.

I didn't have many toys or stuffed animals as a kid, but I was obsessed with this one book - 'The Secret Garden' which had beautiful illustrations and an enchanting story that sparked my imagination. As for toys, I mostly remember playing with Legos and building intricate creations with my older brother. We created whole cities and storylines with our LEGO people.
That's awesome! Lego definitely teaches some great building and imaginative skills. The Secret Garden is a wonderful classic too; it's wonderful to hear that it captivated your younger self so much. I also enjoyed the whimsical illustrations and magical feel of the story.Such nostalgic memories! It's fun to relive these memories of cherished toys and books from our childhood.

I didn't have many toys or stuffed animals as a kid, but I was obsessed with this one book - 'The Secret Garden' which had beautiful illustrations and an enchanting story that sparked my imagination. As for toys, I mostly remember playing with Legos and building intricate creations with my older brother. We created whole cities and storylines with our LEGO people.
That's awesome! The Secret Garden is such a magical book, a timeless classic that sparks the imagination even of the most nonchalant reader. It's incredible how some stories stay with us long after we've grown up. LEGO was also clearly an influential toy in your life, providing creative stimulation and the joy of construction and design.

I wasn't a big LEGO fan; the small pieces were a chore to assemble. Also, my parents didn't really encourage building stuff as much as they did reading, which I think was great because books provided an escape into imaginary worlds and helped develop empathy, especially with fictional stories. I loved The Secret Garden too; the mysteriousness of it all, with magic and nature combined, was fascinating! There's no wonder why so many kids get drawn into the narrative and imagine themselves as the main character, Mary.

My favourite toy was a handmade soft doll crafted by my granny. It had a removable dress so it could be changed, and its plastic beads eyes needed occasional re-stitching too. I also loved the book series, 'Fairytales of Oz', and constantly begged my mom to read them to me; especially The Wizard of Oz.
That's adorable that you had a handmade doll! It must have been special because of the extra love and care stitched into it. Granny's have that magic touch!

My favourite toy was a handmade soft doll crafted by my granny. It had a removable dress so it could be changed, and its plastic beads eyes needed occasional re-stitching too. I also loved the book series, 'Fairytales of Oz', and constantly begged my mom to read them to me; especially The Wizard of Oz.
That's heartwarming, how your grandmother handmade that special doll for you! And having a removable dress makes it extra fun and playful. The Wizard of Oz sounds like an interesting tale too; I can see why you'd want to dive into that world over and over again.

My favourite toy was a soft plush pink rabbit, which I named BunBun. It was so cute and huggable, with fluffy cotton for its tail and a rainbow bow tied around its neck. I had it everywhere except when I went to school because it was so big! The stuffed bunny was such a dear friend that I didn't want anyone else playing with it, even though it meant I had no one to share my playtime. Mom had a hard time keeping me away from it during meal times.

I loved picture books with lots of colorful illustrations, especially those with animals as characters. One of them was *Goodnight Little Me* with its sweet and catchy rhymes and the cozy theme of getting ready for bed and dreamland adventures. I also enjoyed the stories of Charlie Brown and Snoopy; their adventures were so imaginative!

What about you? Did you have a favorite comic strip or storyline that you loved as a kid?
I was never really into comic strips, but I did enjoy the adventures of Tintin. The mystery and intrigue, along with the elaborate trips across the world, were fascinating to me. Herge's illustrations are timeless!

That's sweet that you had a handmade doll. Did your mom often have to repair it like some of the others shared? It sounds like a heartwarming memory.

It's interesting how differently each one of us attaches to our toys and finds comfort in them. As for the Wizard of Oz, it's a captivating read with lots of meaningful life lessons disguised as adventure.

That's a lovely doll you had! Handmade toys have that extra special touch. :) The Wizard of Oz was a captivating story indeed; those magical adventures sure left an impression on many kids, myself included!

I also liked The Wizard of Oz and its fascinating land, though I found the witches a little scary as a young child. Some illustrations in the old storybooks were really creepy! But it didn't stop me from enjoying the adventures of Dorothy and her cute sidekicks. The story also had some deep underlying themes about finding your way home and appreciating what you have, which probably went over my head as a kid.

My favourite toy was a soft plush pink rabbit, which I named BunBun. It was so cute and huggable, with fluffy cotton for its tail and a rainbow bow tied around its neck. I had it everywhere except when I went to school because it was so big! The stuffed bunny was such a dear friend that I didn't want anyone else playing with it, even though it meant I had no one to share my playtime. Mom had a hard time keeping me away from it during meal times.

I loved picture books with lots of colorful illustrations, especially those with animals as characters. One of them was *Goodnight Little Me* with its sweet and catchy rhymes and the cozy theme of getting ready for bed and dreamland adventures. I also enjoyed the stories of Charlie Brown and Snoopy; their adventures were so imaginative!

What about you? Did you have a favorite comic strip or storyline that you loved as a kid?
I was more into Disney princesses and wanted to be one for dress-up days at kindy. Each week, it was an exciting competition to see who could dress up better, though we were essentially repeating the same themes every week because there weren't many options. Still, I always went as either Snow White or Ariel. My mom sewed my Ariel tail, which I thought was the coolest thing ever!

I also loved the Disney comic books - a collection of four to six mini-stories in one book. They were fun because you could read them in short bursts and had colorful illustrations with all your favorite characters. There was always a lesson to be learned, too.

I was more into Disney princess stories and picture books with vibrant illustrations. Cinderella was my favourite, mainly because of her kind nature and the magical element involved in the story. As for comics, I occasionally read Tintin, thanks to its captivating adventure storylines, which had great visual details that made you feel like you were travelling alongside Tin Tin. The Snow White comic book was also a treat with all the detailed drawings of the seven dwarfs and their little huts. I could look at the pictures for hours!

I wasn't much of a comic reader as a young kid, but I remember being entertained by Garfield cartoons, which were fat and funny. My favourite storylines involved Lasagna and his antics with the orange feline and his hapless owner, Jon.

I had a stuffed doll named Emily that I carted around everywhere - she even had her own special seatbelt in the car. My mum grew so tired of hearing me beg for her that she started to call her "Annoying Emily". By the time I outgrew her, Emily had one glass eye and a stitched-up face from numerous operations.

No camping trips for me; my favourite book was a tattered copy of Little Women that I never grew tired of reading. Each daughter in the story felt so real to me, probably because my mum would assign each character to different family members when she read it to us.
That's heartwarming how "Annoying Emily" became such a special companion and how your mother incorporated the rest of the family into the storyline!

Little Women is a wonderful classic with such vivid characters; it's nice how your mom made them come alive for you too. I can imagine how beloved Emily became with such a lovely 'godmother'!

I had a stuffed doll named Emily that I carted around everywhere - she even had her own special seatbelt in the car. My mum grew so tired of hearing me beg for her that she started to call her "Annoying Emily". By the time I outgrew her, Emily had one glass eye and a stitched-up face from numerous operations.

No camping trips for me; my favourite book was a tattered copy of Little Women that I never grew tired of reading. Each daughter in the story felt so real to me, probably because my mum would assign each character to different family members when she read it to us.
That's lovely how each one of us had such special toys and books that meant the world to us growing up. It's amazing how these memories stay with us for so long!

I wasn't much into doll-like figures, but I did enjoy collectable toys like Pokemon cards and Tamagotchis; they were the coolest and definitely my most prized possessions back then. I spent many hours caring for my virtual pets and trading cards with classmates during recess.

That's sweet. My favourite toy also had a unique name - BunBun seemed like such a suitable name for my soft plush rabbit. But unlike your doll, I was super protective of it and didn't let anyone touch it! And I agree with you on the magic of having books read aloud; that special ingredient made some stories come alive.

That's so heartwarming! The familiarity and comfort of a beloved toy or book are truly precious memories :)

Emily sounds like quite the adventure buddy, and Little Women's captivating storytelling certainly holds a special place in your heart. It's amazing how some toys and books from our childhood can leave such a lasting impression!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu