• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

ToysBooks

That's sweet that you had a handmade doll. Did your mom often have to repair it like some of the others shared? It sounds like a heartwarming memory.

It's interesting how differently each one of us attaches to our toys and finds comfort in them. As for the Wizard of Oz, it's a captivating read with lots of meaningful life lessons disguised as adventure.
my grandmother did a wonderful job crafting that doll, and yes, there were times when the threads needed tightening or a bit of sewing up. It was worth the trouble because of the good memories and also, I think, being handmade added to its special charm.

It's fascinating how we all form unique bonds with our comfort objects, isn't it? The love and lessons tucked into those pages of Wizard of Oz are special. =)

That's sweet that you had a handmade doll. Did your mom often have to repair it like some of the others shared? It sounds like a heartwarming memory.

It's interesting how differently each one of us attaches to our toys and finds comfort in them. As for the Wizard of Oz, it's a captivating read with lots of meaningful life lessons disguised as adventure.
My mum didn't often have to repair my handmade doll because it was pretty sturdy! But I do remember taking it to her whenever the dress came loose, and she'd gently reattach it with great precision. I think that's such a lovely bonding moment too - passing on the care and warmth through generations.

it's amazing how toys and books from our childhood leave such profound imprints on us and provide comfort in the most unexpected ways. The Wizard of Oz has that enchanting element to it which draws you into its world so effortlessly.

That's a lovely doll you had! Handmade toys have that extra special touch. :) The Wizard of Oz was a captivating story indeed; those magical adventures sure left an impression on many kids, myself included!
Yes the love and effort put into handmade toys make them extra dear. The Wizard of Oz seems to have left a mark on many of us; it's wonderful how such stories transport us to imaginary lands and capture our hearts as children.

I also liked The Wizard of Oz and its fascinating land, though I found the witches a little scary as a young child. Some illustrations in the old storybooks were really creepy! But it didn't stop me from enjoying the adventures of Dorothy and her cute sidekicks. The story also had some deep underlying themes about finding your way home and appreciating what you have, which probably went over my head as a kid.
The illustrated characters in old school books definitely could be freakily realistic, especially for little kids! It's only natural to feel scared of the witches in that setting, they were certainly creepy creations. Dorothy and her adventures were a fun entry into the world though, and you're right about the underlying themes; a great life lesson on being appreciative packed inside a thrilling adventure.

I also liked The Wizard of Oz and its fascinating land, though I found the witches a little scary as a young child. Some illustrations in the old storybooks were really creepy! But it didn't stop me from enjoying the adventures of Dorothy and her cute sidekicks. The story also had some deep underlying themes about finding your way home and appreciating what you have, which probably went over my head as a kid.
Yeah, some of the illustrations in old storybooks could be downright scary! It's interesting how certain characters can leave such lasting impressions on young minds. Dorothy was surely a brave character, and it's wonderful that the story taught some valuable lessons too.

You're right about the deeper themes in The Wizard of Oz! It's amazing how children's literature often has deeper lessons hidden beneath the surface, teaching valuable life lessons without being preachy. The wizard's message about courage, brains, and heart were profound and impactful, even if we didn't fully grasp them as kids.

The scary witches and illustrations you mention are understandable; some of those old school drawings could be quite intense! It's lovely to see how these stories and toys left such lasting impressions on us and left a warm place in our memories.

I was more into Disney princesses and wanted to be one for dress-up days at kindy. Each week, it was an exciting competition to see who could dress up better, though we were essentially repeating the same themes every week because there weren't many options. Still, I always went as either Snow White or Ariel. My mom sewed my Ariel tail, which I thought was the coolest thing ever!

I also loved the Disney comic books - a collection of four to six mini-stories in one book. They were fun because you could read them in short bursts and had colorful illustrations with all your favorite characters. There was always a lesson to be learned, too.
The Disney Princesses are magical! The variety of stories and their elaborate plots are captivating for young girls. Your custom-made Ariel tail is an awesome creation; it's lovely how much thought your mom put into it. Disney comics are engaging with their moral lessons and vibrant illustrations; they're sure to captivate any kid!

I was more into Disney princesses and wanted to be one for dress-up days at kindy. Each week, it was an exciting competition to see who could dress up better, though we were essentially repeating the same themes every week because there weren't many options. Still, I always went as either Snow White or Ariel. My mom sewed my Ariel tail, which I thought was the coolest thing ever!

I also loved the Disney comic books - a collection of four to six mini-stories in one book. They were fun because you could read them in short bursts and had colorful illustrations with all your favorite characters. There was always a lesson to be learned, too.
Disney princesses are such iconic childhood figures! The Disney comics are endearing; I loved those bite-sized stories too, perfect for young attention spans. Your mom sounds handy with the sewing machine! Ariel was definitely one of the cooler princesses.

I was more into Disney princess stories and picture books with vibrant illustrations. Cinderella was my favourite, mainly because of her kind nature and the magical element involved in the story. As for comics, I occasionally read Tintin, thanks to its captivating adventure storylines, which had great visual details that made you feel like you were travelling alongside Tin Tin. The Snow White comic book was also a treat with all the detailed drawings of the seven dwarfs and their little huts. I could look at the pictures for hours!
Somehow, Disney always finds a way to capture our hearts. It's amazing how these childhood tales and characters leave such a profound impact on us. They definitely bring back some warm and fuzzy memories!

I was more into Disney princess stories and picture books with vibrant illustrations. Cinderella was my favourite, mainly because of her kind nature and the magical element involved in the story. As for comics, I occasionally read Tintin, thanks to its captivating adventure storylines, which had great visual details that made you feel like you were travelling alongside Tin Tin. The Snow White comic book was also a treat with all the detailed drawings of the seven dwarfs and their little huts. I could look at the pictures for hours!
The detail-oriented illustrations in Tintin's adventures are striking, almost making you feel a part of the action! Disney princess stories are timeless; it's interesting how each retelling adds a bit of magic to the tale.

I wasn't much of a comic reader as a young kid, but I remember being entertained by Garfield cartoons, which were fat and funny. My favourite storylines involved Lasagna and his antics with the orange feline and his hapless owner, Jon.
Garfield's humorous and relatable Laziness struggles hit home with many of us! Lasagna seems like quite the pivotal character in those comics!

I wasn't much of a comic reader as a young kid, but I remember being entertained by Garfield cartoons, which were fat and funny. My favourite storylines involved Lasagna and his antics with the orange feline and his hapless owner, Jon.
That's neat that you liked Garfield! The lazy and gluttonous cat with its simple yet hilarious storylines was quite a contrast from the detailed Disney comics. It's a good gateway comic for kids to enjoy.

That's heartwarming how "Annoying Emily" became such a special companion and how your mother incorporated the rest of the family into the storyline!

Little Women is a wonderful classic with such vivid characters; it's nice how your mom made them come alive for you too. I can imagine how beloved Emily became with such a lovely 'godmother'!
I also liked the imaginative play and creativity stimulated by picture books like *Goodnight Moon*, with its calming routine before bedtime and cute illustrations of a bedroom filled with familiar, comforting objects. It's nice to hear about everyone's nostalgia for their childhood favourites - bringing back some warm fuzzy memories!

That's heartwarming how "Annoying Emily" became such a special companion and how your mother incorporated the rest of the family into the storyline!

Little Women is a wonderful classic with such vivid characters; it's nice how your mom made them come alive for you too. I can imagine how beloved Emily became with such a lovely 'godmother'!
My mum is truly talented in making everyday objects seem enchanting!

That's lovely how each one of us had such special toys and books that meant the world to us growing up. It's amazing how these memories stay with us for so long!

I wasn't much into doll-like figures, but I did enjoy collectable toys like Pokemon cards and Tamagotchis; they were the coolest and definitely my most prized possessions back then. I spent many hours caring for my virtual pets and trading cards with classmates during recess.
it's fascinating how these childhood memories stick with us and how much they vary across individuals - a testament to our unique experiences. Pokémon cards were a huge deal, their popularity spreading like wildfire among kids, so much so that some rare cards were highly prized and sought after! Tamagotchis were also all the rage, everyone obsessed with caring for their pixelated pets.

That's sweet. My favourite toy also had a unique name - BunBun seemed like such a suitable name for my soft plush rabbit. But unlike your doll, I was super protective of it and didn't let anyone touch it! And I agree with you on the magic of having books read aloud; that special ingredient made some stories come alive.
Some toys and their names just stick with us!

That's sweet. My favourite toy also had a unique name - BunBun seemed like such a suitable name for my soft plush rabbit. But unlike your doll, I was super protective of it and didn't let anyone touch it! And I agree with you on the magic of having books read aloud; that special ingredient made some stories come alive.
My brother had an imaginative name for his favourite toy - a stuffed dog named “Stinky”. Looking back now, it’s hilarious how these toys became such close companions and held such importance in our lives during our childhood.

That's so heartwarming! The familiarity and comfort of a beloved toy or book are truly precious memories :)

Emily sounds like quite the adventure buddy, and Little Women's captivating storytelling certainly holds a special place in your heart. It's amazing how some toys and books from our childhood can leave such a lasting impression!
Some things have such a way of staying in our memories, leaving a lasting imprint on our hearts. It's really sweet and precious.

That's so heartwarming! The familiarity and comfort of a beloved toy or book are truly precious memories :)

Emily sounds like quite the adventure buddy, and Little Women's captivating storytelling certainly holds a special place in your heart. It's amazing how some toys and books from our childhood can leave such a lasting impression!
Yes these nostalgia-inducing keepsakes and their magical appeal are hard to explain but precious to have!

That's endearing how Emily had her own seatbelt and how your mother would incorporate your siblings into the *Little Women* story, assigning each character to them! It's these little personal touches that make childhood memories so precious.
Yes, it's the little things that make our fondest memories and keep them special for a lifetime! :)

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu